SCT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
SCT?

I am looking for some of you fellows opinion on where you would buy your tune.I have a JLT CF CAI coming very soon from another member of ours.I am looking at ordering a tune this week.I was or am considering buying SCT from American Muscle (Bama Tune).I have a pretty reputable motorsports shop not to far from me that offers SCT as well.Fastlane motorsports.They do not do the free lifetime updates but they do sell it for the same price.I am still leaning toward american muscle just on the fact they have probably sold and done more work on the tune than most for this type tune.I plan on doing Boss mani. in the near future too so I know I would have that update available.I mention this to fastlane and he did say he would probably give me a update when I do that.So which is it or what would you guys do for tune?? Where to buy?Any other great places?
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd personally say evolution performance(evoperform.com). I've gotten two tunes from them and they're spot on. I even brought my car in to one of the most reputable tuners in Chicagoland area to see if he could custom tune it better. He spent two hours on the dyno with it and said he wouldn't change a thing.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Go get a dyno tune.. Canned tunes suck. Randy Haywood has a dyno shop too I hear. He started True Blue, then Melvin over at fastlane got involved he's(Randy) is really good.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: SCT?

I was gonna go with a canned tune until I get deeper in mods.Dyno tune when I go further.Plus I like the ability to go back to stock while still under warranty.Also working with limited budget
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 10-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

The ECU's now store everything. If they(Ford) want to know if it's been tampered with they can tell.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Not worried about that though.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

I'd say you are on the right path by not doing a dyno tune if you are gonna have limited mods. Go for a Bama tune so you can get the free updated tunes then dyno tune when you are ready.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I'd say you are on the right path by not doing a dyno tune if you are gonna have limited mods. Go for a Bama tune so you can get the free updated tunes then dyno tune when you are ready.
Kinda what I am feeling exactly for right now.Just wondering if the Bama tune is the way to go for the money and a canned tune.I'm I overlooking another good one I guess is my case before I order.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
Road Trip!

For bolt ons a canned tune is fine. Unless you want the max aggressive tune you can get then a dyno tune is the best.

Now EVO/BBR/Livernois/JPC canned tunes are on the top notch list. More power a little more aggressive then BAMA tunes. But BAMA does have the tunes for life which is good as stated above for bolt ones.

Only time this will become an issue is when you go to a Boss intake and if they will not take the RPM's out to 7800.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Evolution has stated to me(even though it's not advertised on their site) that they'll retune any basic bolt on update for free. Doesn't include boss mani though.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thats a good question and I will ask that before I but it.(7800 w/ Boss)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang

Kinda what I am feeling exactly for right now.Just wondering if the Bama tune is the way to go for the money and a canned tune.I'm I overlooking another good one I guess is my case before I order.
Call up stage 3 motor sports they deal with Gus at steeda for there tunes and I got free tunes with them also. Tell them what deal AM is giving u and ask them if they can beat it. I got a great deal with them.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Call up stage 3 motor sports they deal with Gus at steeda for there tunes and I got free tunes with them also. Tell them what deal AM is giving u and ask them if they can beat it. I got a great deal with them.
They carry you out to 7800 for the Boss you just put on?Was fixing to PM you on the specifics of your tune(s) and what prices
Old 10-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Just curious.. Why even do the tune if you plan to do more? Then you have the down time of sending it in etc maybe it's just me, I'd use that tune money for more mods.. Then do a real tune, a dyno tune. To me every car will like diff settings, if your car likes someone's else's tune your lucky. I don't know seems like a waste of time and money. If you go canned I wish you good luck..
Old 10-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Just curious.. Why even do the tune if you plan to do more? Then you have the down time of sending it in etc maybe it's just me, I'd use that tune money for more mods.. Then do a real tune, a dyno tune. To me every car will like diff settings, if your car likes someone's else's tune your lucky. I don't know seems like a waste of time and money. If you go canned I wish you good luck..
B/C it will be quite a while before I do anything more than CAI and tune.Only other mod I have is exhaust with X-pipe.I may do Boss next year but after that it would likely be more toward the end of 60,000 miles before I do much.As for warranty I am covered on that.Long story but it has to do with what I do for a living.These mods I would be safe on.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

As long as it works for you! Trust me I understand about budget and all that!!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
As long as it works for you! Trust me I understand about budget and all that!!
With the Cold air for the 5.0's you have to tune. If not the car will not run. The Cold Air's are that much bigger and suck that much more air. you looking at 35-40whp from tune and cold air.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

What about the John Lund tunes from Lethal Performance? I have 2 friends that have the Aggressive "Cammed" tune and they swear by it and it sounds AWESOME
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0
What about the John Lund tunes from Lethal Performance? I have 2 friends that have the Aggressive "Cammed" tune and they swear by it and it sounds AWESOME
I would be a lil cautious about the Lund tunes a guy on our forum blew two pistons and he said he was running a Lund agressive tune and warranty didn't cover s***! Either on this forum or mustang the source. search for" spun a bearing" that's the thread name.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would be a lil cautious about the Lund tunes a guy on our forum blew two pistons and he said he was running a Lund agressive tune and warranty didn't cover s***! Either on this forum or mustang the source. search for" spun a bearing" that's the thread name.
That is enough to keep me away!!!

Dont need a tune with the Roush do I???
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Show link. I googled didn't come up. Cause some people swear by BAMA and they them selves said they have been responsible for blow engines on the 5.0. They was said be the reason Ford came out with TSP voiding warranties from a tune.

Jon Lund does Lethal/Evolution tunes. Plus he does tunes for other places as well.

Another guy claimed a Lund tune took his engine then he later said he had 4 different tunes in it before the Lund tune. So how can he say the Lund tune did it.

If something goes wrong with your engine and only thing done is a tune Ford will not cover it. The dealer you go to has no power if they do or not. They have to send the PCM in and they will see it has tune in it or had. Soon do all warranty is void.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Show link. I googled didn't come up. Cause some people swear by BAMA and they them selves said they have been responsible for blow engines on the 5.0. They was said be the reason Ford came out with TSP voiding warranties from a tune.

Jon Lund does Lethal/Evolution tunes. Plus he does tunes for other places as well.

Another guy claimed a Lund tune took his engine then he later said he had 4 different tunes in it before the Lund tune. So how can he say the Lund tune did it.

If something goes wrong with your engine and only thing done is a tune Ford will not cover it. The dealer you go to has no power if they do or not. They have to send the PCM in and they will see it has tune in it or had. Soon do all warranty is void.
You can't say all warranty is void, if a window motor goes out they would still fix it lol
Dbsaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I am looking for some of you fellows opinion on where you would buy your tune.I have a JLT CF CAI coming very soon from another member of ours.I am looking at ordering a tune this week.I was or am considering buying SCT from American Muscle (Bama Tune).I have a pretty reputable motorsports shop not to far from me that offers SCT as well.Fastlane motorsports.They do not do the free lifetime updates but they do sell it for the same price.I am still leaning toward american muscle just on the fact they have probably sold and done more work on the tune than most for this type tune.I plan on doing Boss mani. in the near future too so I know I would have that update available.I mention this to fastlane and he did say he would probably give me a update when I do that.So which is it or what would you guys do for tune?? Where to buy?Any other great places?
I was in the same situation as you, I put on the boss intake cold air and exhaust and got the bama tune, until i put a blower on I'm perfectly happy with it. The car runs perfect and it has awesome power! I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but I mainly play around on the street and go to an occasional track day. Being a brand new car do you wanna watch your gauges all the time wondering if if your tune is right?
Mef5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Mef5.0;979428]I was in the same situation as you, I put on the boss intake cold air and exhaust and got the bama tune, until i put a blower on I'm perfectly happy with it. The car runs perfect and it has awesome power! I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but I mainly play around on the street and go to an occasional track day. Being a brand new car do you wanna watch your gauges all the time wondering if if your tune is right?[/Q PMing you
Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0

That is enough to keep me away!!!

Dont need a tune with the Roush do I???
No u don't . but just saying go with someone different for tune I went with steeda they are better than bama IMO and still on the safe side! try stage3 motor sports they use steeda for tunes.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

CAI is a waste if you arent gonna get tuned.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbsaints View Post
You can't say all warranty is void, if a window motor goes out they would still fix it lol
I said ENGINE. I even highlighted it for you.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
CAI is a waste if you arent gonna get tuned.
No no....I realize that.I got the CAI covered.Just shopping on tune suggestions
Old 10-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #29
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
OP, I'm not going to come in here and talk-down on other tuners or say others have blown motors or other tuners are too aggressive, etc, that's not how we do business. I will say this, however, if you are looking for safe/reliable tunes to continue with you as you modify the car more, our free tunes for life will definitely be the way to go. Along with our free tunes for life, we have actually come out with a warranty for the 2011+ coyote-motor owners to help put them at ease with tuning their new cars. You can find the whole warranty here: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...222011warranty

Furthermore, I can assure you our Tuning Specialists will work VERY hard to get you the best tune possible for your application and work with you after installation to get it running 110% the way you want it to.

All tunes/tuners will basically be the same. Don't look for what you get with a tuner, look for what you get with a tuner. What I mean by that, does the tuner come with the support and service you desire? Does it come with the backing of a team of Mustang owners and enthusiasts who will be there to help you almost any hour of the day?

Good luck, OP! I hope this helps!

Please don't ever hesitate to ask if you have any questions in the future!

Have a great night!

Quote:

Are you saying we are the cause of the TSB? If so, that's pretty rich! Where'd you hear that, if I may ask?!?
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No no....I realize that.I got the CAI covered.Just shopping on tune suggestions
Bama tunes are great in that they come with a warranty. I just went with stage 3 and steeda cause I got a better deal and steeda Is a reputable company. I plan on going dyno tune soon and no canned tune is better than a custom dyno tune! That's fact
Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung View Post
OP, I'm not going to come in here and talk-down on other tuners or say others have blown motors or other tuners are too aggressive, etc, that's not how we do business. I will say this, however, if you are looking for safe/reliable tunes to continue with you as you modify the car more, our free tunes for life will definitely be the way to go. Along with our free tunes for life, we have actually come out with a warranty for the 2011+ coyote-motor owners to help put them at ease with tuning their new cars. You can find the whole warranty here: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...222011warranty

Furthermore, I can assure you our Tuning Specialists will work VERY hard to get you the best tune possible for your application and work with you after installation to get it running 110% the way you want it to.

All tunes/tuners will basically be the same. Don't look for what you get with a tuner, look for what you get with a tuner. What I mean by that, does the tuner come with the support and service you desire? Does it come with the backing of a team of Mustang owners and enthusiasts who will be there to help you almost any hour of the day?

Good luck, OP! I hope this helps!

Please don't ever hesitate to ask if you have any questions in the future!

Have a great night!

Are you saying we are the cause of the TSB? If so, that's pretty rich! Where'd you hear that, if I may ask?!?
What do you set the limiter with the Boss intakes?

As far as the TSB put out. It has been said many times. It is referenced as the AM TSP on many forums. Do most believe you are the soul reason it came out no. Ford does tunes or did. They had a car lose a #8 as well from what the word is.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

buy my sct and decide what you want to do later
tylerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #33
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
What do you set the limiter with the Boss intakes?

As far as the TSB put out. It has been said many times. It is referenced as the AM TSP on many forums. Do most believe you are the soul reason it came out no. Ford does tunes or did. They had a car lose a #8 as well from what the word is.

Hrmm. That's interesting. I haven't seen or heard it referenced as such previous to your mention of it. Sorry to pry, but I am interested in finding out more about that name. Do you have any specific links or examples you could provide me with?
It's interesting that it would be named the AM TSB, when we have had the least amount of failures(2, both of which were covered under Ford Warranty upon completion of failure investigation) and when we are the only ones with a warranty(which a claim still has yet to be made for) for tunes. Weird.

Anyway, on a stock GT, with CAI and Boss Manifold, we stop revving the car at 7600RPM as the gains from 76-7800rpm are negligible. Rev-limited can be adjusted manually, by the end-user, however, to be as high as you want it. So, if you want to rev it out to 7800RPM, you can certainly do it, though there isn't much of a point in doing so.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or comments in the future!

Take care, everybody!
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764 | Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
Need Help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
AMChrisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amchrisrose View Post
Hrmm. That's interesting. I haven't seen or heard it referenced as such previous to your mention of it. Sorry to pry, but I am interested in finding out more about that name. Do you have any specific links or examples you could provide me with?
It's interesting that it would be named the AM TSB, when we have had the least amount of failures(2, both of which were covered under Ford Warranty upon completion of failure investigation) and when we are the only ones with a warranty(which a claim still has yet to be made for) for tunes. Weird.

Anyway, on a stock GT, with CAI and Boss Manifold, we stop revving the car at 7600RPM as the gains from 76-7800rpm are negligible. Rev-limited can be adjusted manually, by the end-user, however, to be as high as you want it. So, if you want to rev it out to 7800RPM, you can certainly do it, though there isn't much of a point in doing so.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or comments in the future!

Take care, everybody!
I don't feel like digging right now. It was also a while ago it was referenced this, WHen things started going wrong with the #8's. But I know it was referenced this on S197/Modularfords/and SVT. I do think it shows great things that you guys have offered a warranty for your tunes. Shows you stand behind them. And you are correct haven't heard of anyone else doing that. But do you have proof of you being only ones with just 2? Since basically saying everyone else has had more then two from a tune?

As far as falling off after 7600 my dyno sheet would tend to disagree with you. As well as a few others cars on other sites. Unless you not counting a car with headers. Which you may be.

Would you say you guys get the same gains out of your tunes? Willing to put it a No BS test?

Also what I find funny is every person who has claimed a #8 issue has then all sudden deleted there post. Or make reference who tuned it then take back who tuned it or any info on it. Only a few people have actually left the info up.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #35
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
I don't feel like digging right now. It was also a while ago it was referenced this, WHen things started going wrong with the #8's. But I know it was referenced this on S197/Modularfords/and SVT. I do think it shows great things that you guys have offered a warranty for your tunes. Shows you stand behind them. And you are correct haven't heard of anyone else doing that. But do you have proof of you being only ones with just 2? Since basically saying everyone else has had more then two from a tune?

As far as falling off after 7600 my dyno sheet would tend to disagree with you. As well as a few others cars on other sites. Unless you not counting a car with headers. Which you may be.

Would you say you guys get the same gains out of your tunes? Willing to put it a No BS test?

Also what I find funny is every person who has claimed a #8 issue has then all sudden deleted there post. Or make reference who tuned it then take back who tuned it or any info on it. Only a few people have actually left the info up.

Whoops, I see I posted that reply under CRose's username. Sorry, that was me, not him.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to go into bashing anyone or pointing out their failures, but I will say that some of the tuners mentioned in this thread have had more than 2 documented(in forums and through other means) failures. Like I said, though, I'm not going to turn this into a bashing thing, ooh we're better than them or they have had X number of failures, etc. Just know that we are the only ones manning up to admit the two that we had(which, like I said were covered under Ford warranty and as you know Ford would NEVER cover something that was found to be the fault of tuning) and to go further with that idea and warranty our tunes from here on out.

I would say that our tunes are 99.99% of what you would get on a dyno(with the same mods, obviously) and that this has been tested/proven many times(Custom tune vs mail order dyno numbers - Ford Mustang Forums). Furthermore, we achieve VERY good numbers, while still being conservative. This is important because this is what will prolong the life of your engine. Obviously, with the car here, on our dyno we would be able to play with timing/etc to squeeze slightly more out of it, but in the end, is 3-5whp worth losing your motor over? I don't think so. For instance, I had my own car(turbo, stroked, internals setup to run 30+PSI) tuned to 16psi to drive around with everyday. The car makes 508WHP at 16psi, I could easily bump the boost and run Meth to hit 800+whp but to me, it's not worth it. Great performance while staying conservative is always better in the long run!

And yes, anyone that has a failure is going to do whatever they can to hide any and all traces of a tune in attempts to get their vehicles covered. This is completely understandable and Ford owners are not the first to go through this, unfortunately.

Regardless, OP, the SCT tuner you choose should be one that you know is reputable and will be there for you when you need it, whether it be a simple question, a re-tune or whatever. The products are all basically the same. It is the service/support that you receive after the sale that should be most appealing!

-Chris
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT