Mis-shift damage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Mis-shift damage?

Hey guys,

Went to the track on Friday, and during one of the runs, I think I mis-shifted (all I remember is the gauges glowing red and the tires locking up before I pushed the clutch in). I've driven the mustang several times since then, and I haven't noticed anything different. I also let it sit at idle with the hood open and I didn't hear anything weird. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about bent push-rods, but I'm still a little worried that I may have bent a valve or knicked a piston. So my question is, if some damage occured, should I already know about it? If so, what would be the warning signs? I expect I would get some pinging sound or some sort of mis fire, but so far I haven't heard or felt anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Re: Mis-shift damage?

SO basically you went into a gear lower then you was in causing it to red line hard core.

Anyway if you had an issue you would know it. The check engine light or wrenches would come on. A misfire or something.

SO what you run?
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
SO basically you went into a gear lower then you was in causing it to red line hard core.

Anyway if you had an issue you would know it. The check engine light or wrenches would come on. A misfire or something.

SO what you run?
Yeah I figured I would hear something by now. Idk, I'm just paranoid since its still a brand new car.

I was able to run a 13.5 that night but later it got cold and I couldn't get traction. The best I've run is a 13.3. But I'm completely stock with all season tires and 3.55 gears.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Road Trip!

More practice and you will get some 12's. I need your gears. LOL...The 4.10's I think are going to be to much with the SC.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

1st seccond 1st BOOM!!! HAHAHA ....sorry I could not help my self, but we have all been there one time or another weather its at the track in front of the buddys or sitting next to the super hot chick that loves mustangs that you were just trying to impress. as far as the car goes I think you'll be fine. dont treat it any different and if it blows up bring it in under warrenty
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
More practice and you will get some 12's. I need your gears. LOL...The 4.10's I think are going to be to much with the SC.
Lol, yeah. I got these gears on purpose because I'm planning on getting a supercharger at some point down the road. First item for next year is a good set of tires.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbrock
1st seccond 1st BOOM!!! HAHAHA ....sorry I could not help my self, but we have all been there one time or another weather its at the track in front of the buddys or sitting next to the super hot chick that loves mustangs that you were just trying to impress. as far as the car goes I think you'll be fine. dont treat it any different and if it blows up bring it in under warrenty
Yeah, I think I'm a little less worried now, but I was going crazy the night of. I'm thinking I should be ok since no new sounds have shown up. The fact that this type of thing is not totally uncommon makes me feel a little better too. Granted this is my first manual car, but I felt so foolish after that run.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Scary
2011CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247

Lol, yeah. I got these gears on purpose because I'm planning on getting a supercharger at some point down the road. First item for next year is a good set of tires.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Yeah, I think I'm a little less worried now, but I was going crazy the night of. I'm thinking I should be ok since no new sounds have shown up. The fact that this type of thing is not totally uncommon makes me feel a little better too. Granted this is my first manual car, but I felt so foolish after that run.
I did the same thing, I was racing a gto and shifted from third back to second instead of forth and almost put the car in the ditch, same glowing red in the dash. Don't worry though, sure yer cars fine!
Mef5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247

Yeah I figured I would hear something by now. Idk, I'm just paranoid since its still a brand new car.

I was able to run a 13.5 that night but later it got cold and I couldn't get traction. The best I've run is a 13.3. But I'm completely stock with all season tires and 3.55 gears.
Same gears, same tires and I was at the same track as Mr. Skyline here. Traction was an utter joke that night, I think I would have been able to get into 12s with better weather and a few more passes.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Road Trip!

We need to trade rear ends. LOL
Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I am positive, you simply were rev'd too high when you mis-shifted, hit red line and the computer shut you down which can be misinterpreted as wheels "locking up". I have had it happen a few times when I hit redline on the autobahn.... kinda scarey when you are not expecting it.
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0
I am positive, you simply were rev'd too high when you mis-shifted, hit red line and the computer shut you down which can be misinterpreted as wheels "locking up". I have had it happen a few times when I hit redline on the autobahn.... kinda scarey when you are not expecting it.
I'm not sure...I know that I had trouble getting into 3rd (I think I hit the gate between 1st and 3rd) before getting in gear. When I did get in gear and let off the clutch, that stuff happened. I've hit redline and experienced the cut in power a few times myself, but this seemed more violent. This along with my rpms jumping up as soon as I let off the clutch is what leads me to believe that I shifted into the wrong gear. However, I think the fact that my mph dropped a little before I engaged the gear might have saved me from some real bad damage. Idk...I try to think back to the specifics of the event, and I really can't remember everything.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
I'm not sure...I know that I had trouble getting into 3rd (I think I hit the gate between 1st and 3rd) before getting in gear. When I did get in gear and let off the clutch, that stuff happened. I've hit redline and experienced the cut in power a few times myself, but this seemed more violent. This along with my rpms jumping up as soon as I let off the clutch is what leads me to believe that I shifted into the wrong gear. However, I think the fact that my mph dropped a little before I engaged the gear might have saved me from some real bad damage. Idk...I try to think back to the specifics of the event, and I really can't remember everything.
Well if there is an issue, I am sure warranty covers it all, just dont tell them you were drag racing
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0 View Post
Well if there is an issue, I am sure warranty covers it all, just dont tell them you were drag racing
^THIS! Don't worry about the ching-chong trans, there are so many issues with it that I doubt Ford would be able to pin too much serious heat on you about it.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just beat the hell out of it at the track..but, "don't worry"-take it to the dealer, it's under warranty....

2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

What is it with the "ching - chong" tranny? (the kind in a car.... not walking the street) I have had no issues with mine yet.... yet being the key word. Please elaborate what the issues are and what one can do to avert said issues.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What is it with the "ching - chong" tranny? (the kind in a car.... not walking the street) I have had no issues with mine yet.... yet being the key word. Please elaborate what the issues are and what one can do to avert said issues.
There are multiple issues, including the clutch pedal getting stuck to the floor when you attempt to shift and inability to shift into gear at speed. Mine is mostly OK, but about a third of the time I drive the car it crunches real bad when I shift into fifth. I can usually repeat this (even at a stop with the engine idling) by holding in the clutch and shifting from 4th to 5th. It's done this since the day I got it. Sometimes it also pops out of 1st gear for no apparent reason ... I should probably take it to Ford but I don't feel like taking all my mods off just to put them back on. The issues are well documented and Ford has even released several TSBs.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Pressure plates back out.

Synchro's going bad.

The sucking to floor with clutch seems to only happen to tuned cars with a rev limiter over 7200.

I had my tranny go out on me. Ford replaced it. Now with new tranny I have had no issues.

To help avoid any issues get a good clutch w/ flywheel $900-1200. Upgrade your pedals to the GT500 set. Its like $100. This will be the biggest start.

Also change the oil to red line or royal purple.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Also change the oil to red line or royal purple.
I plan to put royal purple in this winter while the car is garaged. I'll let you all know if it fixes my rough/crunchy shifting. If not I'll probably drive it until the thing gives out. The Ford dealerships where I live won't replace or fix anything unless it can be replicated on demand at any time... which my problems cannot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT