Suggested Mods for newbie - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #1

Region: California
Suggested Mods for newbie

Hello

I just leased a 2012 gt convertible mustang in white.

So far, i have tinted the windows and my racing strips go on on Wednesday.

What other after market stuff do you think I can get away with without jepardizing my warrenty?

Thank you so much for any help you can give to me.

Mike
mikona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikona
Hello

What other after market stuff do you think I can get away with without jepardizing my warrenty?

Mike
Axle back exhaust and a ford racing cold air intake. Any other mods u run the risk of voiding ur engine warranty. Also ur dealer would have to install the ford racing intake for it to be covered by warranty. Welcome good to see another Stang owner!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Suggested Mods for newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Axle back exhaust and a ford racing cold air intake. Any other mods u run the risk of voiding ur engine warranty. Also ur dealer would have to install the ford racing intake for it to be covered by warranty. Welcome good to see another Stang owner!
^ +1 You are very limited on performance mods
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Why would you want to modify a car your just going to give back anyway? Isn't that the point of leasing a vehicle? Just wondering... Those cars are pretty awesome the way they are anyway. Maybe a lowerd sus/ staggard wheel setup and a better exhaust is all i'd want to do... O and a decent tune! Thats one thing you can do and take off easily. Even a mail oredrr tune is good for 20+ hp . Good luck
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
Why would you want to modify a car your just going to give back anyway? Isn't that the point of leasing a vehicle? Just wondering... Those cars are pretty awesome the way they are anyway. Maybe a lowerd sus/ staggard wheel setup and a better exhaust is all i'd want to do... O and a decent tune! Thats one thing you can do and take off easily. Even a mail oredrr tune is good for 20+ hp . Good luck
I totally agree. If just leasing leave it alone as you are throwing money away since you have to turn it in.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
I totally agree. If just leasing leave it alone as you are throwing money away since you have to turn it in.
I agree,UNLESS you decide to buy it,but hard telling what you end up paying for it like that.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

An arm and a leg haha. Those leases will get ya! :/
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikona View Post
Hello

Mike
Axle backs, better tires. Other than that Ford will take it's lolwarranty away from you (not that it matters anyways - look around and you'll see quickly how "helpful" Ford is if you have an issue).

Once you've realized that you don't care about the warranty, easy/cheap mods include a CAI, Tune and an x-pipe. All of these will void your warranty but will provide the best bang-for-buck and are easily removable.

If you want to check out some sites that sell aftermarket parts, here are a few to look for:

Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle
Mustang Performance Parts | Blow-By Racing | 2005-2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012 | 05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12
Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts at Latemodel Restoration Supply LMR
Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts
Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
www.cjponyparts.com
Mustang Performance Parts & More - ROUSH

You can also find interesting parts from time to time on OEM Parts & OEM Wheels - Original Equipment Parts from NewTakeOff such as GT500 mufflers and wheels/tires.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
I agree,UNLESS you decide to buy it,but hard telling what you end up paying for it like that.
I have a 36 month lease. My residual at the end is $26000.

So, let me get this straight so I understand.

1. Cool Air Filter installed by Ford would be OK
2. A tune would be OK since I could easily replace the stock specs
3. Axle Backs would be OK

Question - with a Ford cool air filter, tune and new axle backs, how much additional HP do you think I would get? Not terribly important, but I am curious.

In addition to that,

1. I was hoping to lower it just a bit for better handling.
2. Add wider tires to the rear of the car. How much wider can I go from stock rears without needing rework?

These would be the only additional things I would want (for now).

You guys are GREAT. Thank you for helping me with my midlife crisis!

Mike
Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
I have a 36 month lease. My residual at the end is $26000.

So, let me get this straight so I understand.

1. Cool Air Filter installed by Ford would be OK
3. Axle Backs would be OK

Question - with a Ford cool air filter, tune and new axle backs, how much additional HP do you think I would get? Not terribly important, but I am curious.

In addition to that,

1. I was hoping to lower it just a bit for better handling.
2. Add wider tires to the rear of the car. How much wider can I go from stock rears without needing rework?

These would be the only additional things I would want (for now).

You guys are GREAT. Thank you for helping me with my midlife crisis!

Mike
With Ford package cold air/tune don't expect much. If your lucky maybe 10whp.

Axle backs are great for sound but after that they are worthless. No real power gains. Also depends on how much you want to spend and how loud you want.

Also if you order a cold air and tune from some where else ford will still see it is tuned.

As far as wider rims. People are fitting 11" wide with no issue. It is all about the back spacing.

Lowering is easy. Just depends on how low you want to go. Anything lower then 1" in the rear you will need a adjustable pan hard bar.

I think I covered all your questions.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If you are going to pay to keep the car at the end of the lease mods would be good but if you are really not sure I would leave it alone till you decide for sure I leased a car once and I will never do it again too much money owed when it runs out good luck.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Absolutely not. Once you Tune the car your engine warranty is void, and Ford can tell that you had tuned the car even if you put the stock tune back in place.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Absolutely not. Once you Tune the car your engine warranty is void, and Ford can tell that you had tuned the car even if you put the stock tune back in place.
Oh, they are smart like that!

Ugh,

OK, I will take it easy until I know for sure whether or not I am going to purchase the car.

Either way, I will wait until the Warranty is expired, especially since I paid extra to cover my until 45K

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

How can they tell that you've tuned your car. My sct tuner allows my car to go back to stock & all I have to do is drive it for 50miles for it to delete all the codes
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO View Post
How can they tell that you've tuned your car. My sct tuner allows my car to go back to stock & all I have to do is drive it for 50miles for it to delete all the codes
No not on the 2011. It is a totally different PCM/ECU then the 2010's. It imprints inside of it. There is no way to hide it period. GM has been doing this for least 4 yrs now. Disconnect the battery, drive a million miles the evidence of the tune is still there.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Oh, they are smart like that!

Ugh,

OK, I will take it easy until I know for sure whether or not I am going to purchase the car.

Either way, I will wait until the Warranty is expired, especially since I paid extra to cover my until 45K

Thanks!!!!
As above GM has been doing this for least 4 yrs. They are also starting to have the same out look on cars. Specially for camaro's. People have had there warranty voided with just having a tune as well.

For those not tracking the SS's are having issues with lifters failing with mods being done.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No disrespect or anything, but i disagree with some of the info these guys are giving you.

1. That computer does have a sort of self monitoring system. But, its a computer just like any other that can be wiped. Now, i have NEVER heard of them being so anal to dig that far just to void a warranty. I say you'd be ok with a tune. I MAY be wrong though. Call BAMA performance and talk to a professional. They wont try and sell you on it.

2. If you got a cai and a tune i'm willing to bet your going to see more than a 10hp gain. I'd say 20 plus. Tunes go a long way. Lean is mean, those things are programmed to run safely rich. Id talk to some different tuners in your area and BAMA. Just my opinion. Its the best thing you can do to utilize your additional mods and better fuel economy. Dont be scared man.

On the other hand, how much more power do u need? Those things are beasts already.. You gotta have really deep pockets if you want to make those much faster.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg
No disrespect or anything, but i disagree with some of the info these guys are giving you.

1. That computer does have a sort of self monitoring system. But, its a computer just like any other that can be wiped. Now, i have NEVER heard of them being so anal to dig that far just to void a warranty. I say you'd be ok with a tune. Call BAMA performance and talk to a professional. They wont try and sell you on it.

2. If you got a cai and a tune i'm willing to bet your going to see more than a 10hp gain. I'd say 20 plus. Tunes go a long way. Lean is mean, those things are programmed to run safely rich. Id talk to some different tuners in your area and BAMA. Just my opinion. Its the best thing you can do to utilize your additional mods and better fuel economy. Dont be scared man.

On the other hand, how much more power do u need? Those things are beasts already.. You gotta have really deep pockets if you want to make those much faster.
Wrong man.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

No not on the 2011. It is a totally different PCM/ECU then the 2010's. It imprints inside of it. There is no way to hide it period. GM has been doing this for least 4 yrs now. Disconnect the battery, drive a million miles the evidence of the tune is still there.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

As above GM has been doing this for least 4 yrs. They are also starting to have the same out look on cars. Specially for camaro's. People have had there warranty voided with just having a tune as well.

For those not tracking the SS's are having issues with lifters failing with mods being done.
So ur saying on the 2010 you can get away from it but not on the 2011?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Have ford do all the upgrades, you'll be fine. Cost you a fortune, but your already doing that anyway haha. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

1. That computer does have a sort of self monitoring system. But, its a computer just like any other that can be wiped. Now, i have NEVER heard of them being so anal to dig that far just to void a warranty. I say you'd be ok with a tune. Call BAMA performance and talk to a professional. They wont try and sell you on it.
You can disagree all you want, but you are misled here. There is even a TSB for Ford techs to follow to check for tunes and void the warranty on 11-12 Mustangs. You call that not being anal, I would certainly say it is?

TSB 11-07-07

^ Here is the TSB. There are steps they can do in addition to this that involve sending the PCM off to Ford for analysis.

And by the way, there is no such thing as "wiping clean" when you talk about electronic media. Take some naked pictures of your wife, put them on a thumb drive, wipe it clean then send it to me. I stand a better chance than not of being able to put them on the internet in an hour or less.

EDIT: Here's some more just to beat the dead horse.

This guy's warranty was denied and voided even though the car was taken back in stock form:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...kryponite.html

Here's a 23 page discussion regarding the issue:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...take-dump.html
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
You can disagree all you want, but you are misled here. There is even a TSB for Ford techs to follow to check for tunes and void the warranty on 11-12 Mustangs. You call that not being anal, I would certainly say it is?

TSB 11-07-07

^ Here is the TSB. There are steps they can do in addition to this that involve sending the PCM off to Ford for analysis.

And by the way, there is no such thing as "wiping clean" when you talk about electronic media. Take some naked pictures of your wife, put them on a thumb drive, wipe it clean then send it to me. I stand a better chance than

not of being able to put them on the internet in an hour or less.
Lol......send it my way as well.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

1. That computer does have a sort of self monitoring system. But, its a computer just like any other that can be wiped. Now, i have NEVER heard of them being so anal to dig that far just to void a warranty. I say you'd be ok with a tune. I MAY be wrong though. Call BAMA performance and talk to a professional. They wont try and sell you on it.

You are wrong. Ford released a TSP stating a tune will void engine work. WHY? Cause some tunes was a direct result of the engine destroying cylinder #8.

The PCM stores everything. Wipe it doe what every you want. It is still there. As mentioned GM has been doing this for a while. I also know from first hand experience on both platforms.

As far as the 10whp this with with the Ford racing tune and Cold air. Its not worth the money. Plain and Simple. If go after market there is 30-40whp gains from a cold air and tune.

As far as deep pockets to make faster..Hmm for about $2500 you can have a low-mid 11 sec car. That isn't to deep of pockets.

For 5-7k you can have a low-mid 10 sec car. With just one mod.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO View Post
So ur saying on the 2010 you can get away from it but not on the 2011?
I will not say yes or no. I know crap about a 2010 PCM. I wou;d never own a 2010 or or older less it was a Termi.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote:

TSB 11-07-07

And by the way, there is no such thing as "wiping clean" when you talk about electronic media. Take some naked pictures of your wife, put them on a thumb drive, wipe it clean then send it to me. I stand a better chance than not of being able to put them on the internet in an hour or less.

EDIT: Here's some more just to beat the dead horse.

This guy's warranty was denied and voided even though the car was taken back in stock form:
Engine CARNAGE...#8... 5L KryPoNITE - SVTPerformance

Here's a 23 page discussion regarding the issue:
Are aftermarket tunes causing the #8 cylinder to take a dump? - Ford Mustang Forums
It wants me to sign in..GRRRR..But anyway. The TSP is on like every mustang site there is. Threads of people having warranty denied.

As I said I know from first hand. I "wiped" my ECU clean. STock tune. With 30 minutes of dropping it off they called asked what tune I had in it. When did I get my missfire codes. That the tune was present or showed it was tuned. That the missfire code shows it is embedded in the ECU. That you can not get rid of either embedded codes. After I thought was BS I called a friend that works as a service rep for Ford. He told me the same thing. They can see everything. That there is no hiding it with the 2011+ ECU's.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Oh and here a thread that has the TSP you can click on and read for your selves.

WWW.S197FORUM.COM
Old 10-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Here is the tsp you can just open it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tsb11-07-07.pdf (1.66 MB, 168 views)
Old 10-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm wow, i'm that guy huh? Ok, i can eat that.

Not trying to mislead anyone with info guys... There are always ways around things. But you have a great point.

NOT worth the risk regardless. Thanks for providing that info.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Hmm wow, i'm that guy huh? Ok, i can eat that.

Not trying to mislead anyone with info guys... There are always ways around things. But you have a great point.

NOT worth the risk regardless. Thanks for providing that info.
It is what it is. Ford isn't playing with it.

BUt as AM pointed out they offer a warranty. As most know I am not a fan of BAMA tunes. I have to say they step up like that shows they stand behind there product. Issues in the past or not. It makes it hard not to go wit them. I mean **** I do use them for about everything else. LOL.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Wn2gofst, i agree with u. I thought we were talking aftermarket combos already.

2 or 3 aint bad, but 5-7 k for mods is pretty expensive. Well, for me anyway... I guess i'm just used to the bigger and cheaper gains you can get out of a push rod motor. I miss that.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess i'll lick my wounds now and take some pics of the wife for u guys haha.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Wn2gofst, i agree with u. I thought we were talking aftermarket combos already.

2 or 3 aint bad, but 5-7 k for mods is pretty expensive. Well, for me anyway... I guess i'm just used to the bigger and cheaper gains you can get out of a push rod motor. I miss that.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess i'll lick my wounds now and take some pics of the wife for u guys haha.
Yes pics of the wife...LOL..

As said. For 2-3 grand depending on auto or manual you can get a new 5.0 in the lower-mid 11 range.

5-7K is a supercharger. Which with the right one you can make 700whp really fast in the 5.0.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

o for sure!

Yeah, I've always been a die hard member of AM. I was weary about mail order tunes. But I've used them on my last two mustangs. They actually worked out pretty well, I was impressed. Never had any problems, not to mention pretty decent gains. It's no dyno tune. but for the money they can get pretty close. I do usually have to tweak their options a bit though... I guess I'm getting off topic now.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
o for sure!

Yeah, I've always been a die hard member of AM. I was weary about mail order tunes. But I've used them on my last two mustangs. They actually worked out pretty well, I was impressed. Never had any problems, not to mention pretty decent gains. It's no dyno tune. but for the money they can get pretty close. I do usually have to tweak their options a bit though... I guess I'm getting off topic now.
What options did you have to tweak?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

idle rpm, gear ratio, rev limiter, and spark. I've even gone as far as live data logs to get the best results. They have a decent system.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
idle rpm, gear ratio, rev limiter, and spark. I've even gone as far as live data logs to get the best results. They have a decent system.
I have a JLT CAI with Tune from Bama. How did urs react in order to need tweaking. I want to know in case I have to tweak mine
Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

You'll know, ive had this tuner for a couple of my cars. Ive had a couple tunes where my car felt sluggish and i had to adjust the spark. Just tuned my cobra and the idle was Running really low and rough. Had to adjust that. Also, When i put 410s in my gt i had to do reprogram to correct the speedo. Stuff like that. You can alway call them if something is wrong and they will hook you up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT