Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Suggested Mods for newbie

10K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Brad.krieg 
#1 ·
Hello

I just leased a 2012 gt convertible mustang in white.

So far, i have tinted the windows and my racing strips go on on Wednesday.

What other after market stuff do you think I can get away with without jepardizing my warrenty?

Thank you so much for any help you can give to me.

Mike

#2 ·
Axle back exhaust and a ford racing cold air intake. Any other mods u run the risk of voiding ur engine warranty. Also ur dealer would have to install the ford racing intake for it to be covered by warranty. Welcome:) good to see another Stang owner!

#3 ·
^ +1 You are very limited on performance mods

#4 ·
Why would you want to modify a car your just going to give back anyway? Isn't that the point of leasing a vehicle? Just wondering... Those cars are pretty awesome the way they are anyway. Maybe a lowerd sus/ staggard wheel setup and a better exhaust is all i'd want to do... O and a decent tune! Thats one thing you can do and take off easily. Even a mail oredrr tune is good for 20+ hp :). Good luck

#8 ·
Axle backs, better tires. Other than that Ford will take it's lolwarranty away from you (not that it matters anyways - look around and you'll see quickly how "helpful" Ford is if you have an issue).

Once you've realized that you don't care about the warranty, easy/cheap mods include a CAI, Tune and an x-pipe. All of these will void your warranty but will provide the best bang-for-buck and are easily removable.

If you want to check out some sites that sell aftermarket parts, here are a few to look for:

Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle
Mustang Performance Parts | Blow-By Racing | 2005-2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012 | 05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12
Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts at Latemodel Restoration Supply LMR
Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts
Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
www.cjponyparts.com
Mustang Performance Parts & More - ROUSH

You can also find interesting parts from time to time on OEM Parts & OEM Wheels - Original Equipment Parts from NewTakeOff such as GT500 mufflers and wheels/tires.

#11 ·
If you are going to pay to keep the car at the end of the lease mods would be good but if you are really not sure I would leave it alone till you decide for sure I leased a car once and I will never do it again too much money owed when it runs out good luck.

#14 ·
Napoleon85 said:
Absolutely not. Once you Tune the car your engine warranty is void, and Ford can tell that you had tuned the car even if you put the stock tune back in place.
How can they tell that you've tuned your car. My sct tuner allows my car to go back to stock & all I have to do is drive it for 50miles for it to delete all the codes

#15 ·
No not on the 2011. It is a totally different PCM/ECU then the 2010's. It imprints inside of it. There is no way to hide it period. GM has been doing this for least 4 yrs now. Disconnect the battery, drive a million miles the evidence of the tune is still there.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Oh, they are smart like that!

Ugh,

OK, I will take it easy until I know for sure whether or not I am going to purchase the car.

Either way, I will wait until the Warranty is expired, especially since I paid extra to cover my until 45K

Thanks!!!!
As above GM has been doing this for least 4 yrs. They are also starting to have the same out look on cars. Specially for camaro's. People have had there warranty voided with just having a tune as well.

For those not tracking the SS's are having issues with lifters failing with mods being done.

#16 · (Edited)
No disrespect or anything, but i disagree with some of the info these guys are giving you.

1. That computer does have a sort of self monitoring system. But, its a computer just like any other that can be wiped. Now, i have NEVER heard of them being so anal to dig that far just to void a warranty. I say you'd be ok with a tune. I MAY be wrong though. Call BAMA performance and talk to a professional. They wont try and sell you on it.

2. If you got a cai and a tune i'm willing to bet your going to see more than a 10hp gain. I'd say 20 plus. Tunes go a long way. Lean is mean, those things are programmed to run safely rich. Id talk to some different tuners in your area and BAMA. Just my opinion. Its the best thing you can do to utilize your additional mods and better fuel economy. Dont be scared man. ;)

On the other hand, how much more power do u need? Those things are beasts already.. You gotta have really deep pockets if you want to make those much faster.

#20 · (Edited)
No disrespect or anything, but i disagree with some of the info these guys are giving you.

1. That computer does have a sort of self monitoring system. But, its a computer just like any other that can be wiped. Now, i have NEVER heard of them being so anal to dig that far just to void a warranty. I say you'd be ok with a tune. Call BAMA performance and talk to a professional. They wont try and sell you on it.
You can disagree all you want, but you are misled here. There is even a TSB for Ford techs to follow to check for tunes and void the warranty on 11-12 Mustangs. You call that not being anal, I would certainly say it is?

TSB 11-07-07

^ Here is the TSB. There are steps they can do in addition to this that involve sending the PCM off to Ford for analysis.

And by the way, there is no such thing as "wiping clean" when you talk about electronic media. Take some naked pictures of your wife, put them on a thumb drive, wipe it clean then send it to me. I stand a better chance than not of being able to put them on the internet in an hour or less.

EDIT: Here's some more just to beat the dead horse.

This guy's warranty was denied and voided even though the car was taken back in stock form:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/770776-engine-carnage-8-5l-kryponite.html

Here's a 23 page discussion regarding the issue:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...arket-tunes-causing-8-cylinder-take-dump.html

#17 ·
Brad.krieg said:

1. That computer does have a sort of self monitoring system. But, its a computer just like any other that can be wiped. Now, i have NEVER heard of them being so anal to dig that far just to void a warranty. I say you'd be ok with a tune. Call BAMA performance and talk to a professional. They wont try and sell you on it.

2. If you got a cai and a tune i'm willing to bet your going to see more than a 10hp gain. I'd say 20 plus. Tunes go a long way. Lean is mean, those things are programmed to run safely rich. Id talk to some different tuners in your area and BAMA. Just my opinion. Its the best thing you can do to utilize your additional mods and better fuel economy. Dont be scared man. ;)

On the other hand, how much more power do u need? Those things are beasts already.. You gotta have really deep pockets if you want to make those much faster.
Wrong man.

#18 ·
wnt2gofst said:
No not on the 2011. It is a totally different PCM/ECU then the 2010's. It imprints inside of it. There is no way to hide it period. GM has been doing this for least 4 yrs now. Disconnect the battery, drive a million miles the evidence of the tune is still there.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

As above GM has been doing this for least 4 yrs. They are also starting to have the same out look on cars. Specially for camaro's. People have had there warranty voided with just having a tune as well.

For those not tracking the SS's are having issues with lifters failing with mods being done.
So ur saying on the 2010 you can get away from it but not on the 2011?

#25 ·
It is what it is. Ford isn't playing with it.

BUt as AM pointed out they offer a warranty. As most know I am not a fan of BAMA tunes. I have to say they step up like that shows they stand behind there product. Issues in the past or not. It makes it hard not to go wit them. I mean **** I do use them for about everything else. LOL.

#26 ·
Wn2gofst, i agree with u. I thought we were talking aftermarket combos already.

2 or 3 aint bad, but 5-7 k for mods is pretty expensive. Well, for me anyway... I guess i'm just used to the bigger and cheaper gains you can get out of a push rod motor. I miss that.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess i'll lick my wounds now and take some pics of the wife for u guys haha.

#27 ·
Yes pics of the wife...LOL..

As said. For 2-3 grand depending on auto or manual you can get a new 5.0 in the lower-mid 11 range.

5-7K is a supercharger. Which with the right one you can make 700whp really fast in the 5.0. :headbang:

#28 ·
o for sure!

Yeah, I've always been a die hard member of AM. I was weary about mail order tunes. But I've used them on my last two mustangs. They actually worked out pretty well, I was impressed. Never had any problems, not to mention pretty decent gains. It's no dyno tune. but for the money they can get pretty close. I do usually have to tweak their options a bit though... I guess I'm getting off topic now.

#29 ·
Brad.krieg said:
o for sure!

Yeah, I've always been a die hard member of AM. I was weary about mail order tunes. But I've used them on my last two mustangs. They actually worked out pretty well, I was impressed. Never had any problems, not to mention pretty decent gains. It's no dyno tune. but for the money they can get pretty close. I do usually have to tweak their options a bit though... I guess I'm getting off topic now.
What options did you have to tweak?

#32 ·
You'll know, ive had this tuner for a couple of my cars. Ive had a couple tunes where my car felt sluggish and i had to adjust the spark. Just tuned my cobra and the idle was Running really low and rough. Had to adjust that. Also, When i put 410s in my gt i had to do reprogram to correct the speedo. Stuff like that. You can alway call them if something is wrong and they will hook you up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.