Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Sound Levels - Stock Exhaust Vs Roush or Borla

Tags
exhaust
22K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Benzo 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a white 2012 GT premium convertible. I love the car so much! Right now, it is at a shop having custom stripes put on it!

Anyway, I want it to sound more aggressive, so I was contemplating putting the Borla S Type or Roush axle backs on it.

My question is, just how much louder is the vehicle with these as compared to stock? Right now, I can have a clear conversation in the car doing 75 to 80 with the top down without a problem.

Is the noise level obnoxiously loud, or just a bit louder. I have listened to MANY youtube clips, but that doesn't really give a clear difference in noise levels as much as it gives tonal difference. And I know from what I heard, I like both the Borla S Type and the Roush

I am a newbie and apologize if the question is stupid.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
My borla is pretty damn loud with windows down.

#3 ·
mikona said:
Hello,

I just purchased a white 2012 GT premium convertible. I love the car so much! Right now, it is at a shop having custom stripes put on it!

Anyway, I want it to sound more aggressive, so I was contemplating putting the Borla S Type or Roush axle backs on it.

My question is, just how much louder is the vehicle with these as compared to stock? Right now, I can have a clear conversation in the car doing 75 to 80 with the top down without a problem.

Is the noise level obnoxiously loud, or just a bit louder. I have listened to MANY youtube clips, but that doesn't really give a clear difference in noise levels as much as it gives tonal difference. And I know from what I heard, I like both the Borla S Type and the Roush

I am a newbie and apologize if the question is stupid.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Hey man I have the Roush and they sound awesome. It's not too loud unless you really get on it.

#7 ·
...and my .02 : Although you mentioned the two choices that you are looking at-but have concern about noise-as do many of us :uhh:, during the operation of your automobile-I went with the Magnaflow(s). They are just a tad, 'throatier', than stock :good:-and are NOT raspy, or obnoxious at any speed. I had great luck with this brand on my first Lightning p/u, and have been pleased a second time! First rate, assembly/fit/finish!

:p:

#8 ·
jimbullit said:
...and my .02 : Although you mentioned the two choices that you are looking at-but have concern about noise-as do many of us :uhh:, during the operation of your automobile-I went with the Magnaflow(s). They are just a tad, 'throatier', than stock :good:-and are NOT raspy, or obnoxious at any speed. I had great luck with this brand on my first Lightning p/u, and have been pleased a second time! First rate, assembly/fit/finish!

:p:
Soon to be runnin roush, headers, o/r xpipe. Will be loud as hell !!! Love it!:)

#9 ·
my dad has roush with a custom x-pipe, and just cruising its pretty normal. hell call me on synch and i can hear the gurgle when hes accelerating from a light, but not too much where he has to yell to talk to me or anything

#11 ·
I would look at what other exhaust mods you will do in the future before picking one. As if you do a X pipe later it will make them louder. Maybe to a point you don't want.

With that you want slightly louder and still be able to do other exhaust mods and not be as loud as a drag car(exaggerating) then go with GT500 mufflers. No other exhaust plans then go with the roush.

#12 ·
wnt2gofst said:
I would look at what other exhaust mods you will do in the future before picking one. As if you do a X pipe later it will make them louder. Maybe to a point you don't want.

With that you want slightly louder and still be able to do other exhaust mods and not be as loud as a drag car(exaggerating) then go with GT500 mufflers. No other exhaust plans then go with the roush.
What are u talking about go roush and do it big! It's a muscle car not a ford fiesta But that's just my loud opinion:)!love a strong tone!

#16 ·
wnt2gofst said:
YOu can get it that way. Its called a Cobra Jet. Even have one with a N/A 5.0 now. It ran mid 10's.
Yeah for a ridiculous price! I can't afford that! Even if I could I wouldn't buy it because I love to build my own S***! don't y'all agree.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Napoleon85 said:
ROFL, I can't agree more. It boggles my mind that someone would buy a car as aggressive as these 5.0 Mustangs and not want the tune/exhaust to be as aggressive. I guess they outnumber us though, given Ford's choice of stock equipment.

If we had it our way the things would come out of the factory with no restriction past the headers and racing slicks!
Yep no doubt!

#17 ·
Most Brands/Companies will have a variety of sounding mufflers, you just have to remember to ask for the different sounds they have: AGGRESIVE, DEEP, LOW, ETC. I have Magnaflow on both of my cars, Mustang - Aggresive, Camaro - Low/Deep. Difference in sound on both. Both have an o/r X pipe.

#18 ·
KATO said:
Most Brands/Companies will have a variety of sounding mufflers, you just have to remember to ask for the different sounds they have: AGGRESIVE, DEEP, LOW, ETC. I have Magnaflow on both of my cars, Mustang - Aggresive, Camaro - Low/Deep. Difference in sound on both. Both have an o/r X pipe.
My opinion is go loud go agressive be proud to own the best mustang gt ever built. This car is meant to be loud and fast! Go hard or stay home! :) of course this is my opinion. No pun intended to all u conservative types:):)

#19 ·
My wife, drives the Camaro, and she does not need to have the Loudest car in the neighborhood, and even with the sound it has, it still gets plenty of attention constantley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.