Sound Levels - Stock Exhaust Vs Roush or Borla - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Region: California
Sound Levels - Stock Exhaust Vs Roush or Borla

Hello,

I just purchased a white 2012 GT premium convertible. I love the car so much! Right now, it is at a shop having custom stripes put on it!

Anyway, I want it to sound more aggressive, so I was contemplating putting the Borla S Type or Roush axle backs on it.

My question is, just how much louder is the vehicle with these as compared to stock? Right now, I can have a clear conversation in the car doing 75 to 80 with the top down without a problem.

Is the noise level obnoxiously loud, or just a bit louder. I have listened to MANY youtube clips, but that doesn't really give a clear difference in noise levels as much as it gives tonal difference. And I know from what I heard, I like both the Borla S Type and the Roush

I am a newbie and apologize if the question is stupid.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
mikona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Sound Levels - Stock Exhaust Vs Roush or Borla

My borla is pretty damn loud with windows down.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikona
Hello,

I just purchased a white 2012 GT premium convertible. I love the car so much! Right now, it is at a shop having custom stripes put on it!

Anyway, I want it to sound more aggressive, so I was contemplating putting the Borla S Type or Roush axle backs on it.

My question is, just how much louder is the vehicle with these as compared to stock? Right now, I can have a clear conversation in the car doing 75 to 80 with the top down without a problem.

Is the noise level obnoxiously loud, or just a bit louder. I have listened to MANY youtube clips, but that doesn't really give a clear difference in noise levels as much as it gives tonal difference. And I know from what I heard, I like both the Borla S Type and the Roush

I am a newbie and apologize if the question is stupid.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Hey man I have the Roush and they sound awesome. It's not too loud unless you really get on it.
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

The Roush is a lot louder, but it's not obnoxious. Having a convo in the car is no challenge, you won't be yelling over it or anything.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

it wont be a problem
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I also have the roush they sound awesome!! Just right at all rpm's. No drone at all at highway speeds
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

...and my .02 : Although you mentioned the two choices that you are looking at-but have concern about noise-as do many of us , during the operation of your automobile-I went with the Magnaflow(s). They are just a tad, 'throatier', than stock -and are NOT raspy, or obnoxious at any speed. I had great luck with this brand on my first Lightning p/u, and have been pleased a second time! First rate, assembly/fit/finish!

2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit
...and my .02 : Although you mentioned the two choices that you are looking at-but have concern about noise-as do many of us , during the operation of your automobile-I went with the Magnaflow(s). They are just a tad, 'throatier', than stock -and are NOT raspy, or obnoxious at any speed. I had great luck with this brand on my first Lightning p/u, and have been pleased a second time! First rate, assembly/fit/finish!

Soon to be runnin roush, headers, o/r xpipe. Will be loud as hell !!! Love it!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

my dad has roush with a custom x-pipe, and just cruising its pretty normal. hell call me on synch and i can hear the gurgle when hes accelerating from a light, but not too much where he has to yell to talk to me or anything

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
my dad has roush with a custom x-pipe, and just cruising its pretty normal. hell call me on synch and i can hear the gurgle when hes accelerating from a light, but not too much where he has to yell to talk to me or anything
Im pretty sure at WOT it will sound like a NASCAR !!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
Road Trip!

I would look at what other exhaust mods you will do in the future before picking one. As if you do a X pipe later it will make them louder. Maybe to a point you don't want.

With that you want slightly louder and still be able to do other exhaust mods and not be as loud as a drag car(exaggerating) then go with GT500 mufflers. No other exhaust plans then go with the roush.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
I would look at what other exhaust mods you will do in the future before picking one. As if you do a X pipe later it will make them louder. Maybe to a point you don't want.

With that you want slightly louder and still be able to do other exhaust mods and not be as loud as a drag car(exaggerating) then go with GT500 mufflers. No other exhaust plans then go with the roush.
What are u talking about go roush and do it big! It's a muscle car not a ford fiesta But that's just my loud opinion!love a strong tone!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
What are u talking about go roush and do it big! It's a muscle car not a ford fiesta But that's just my loud opinion!love a strong tone!
LOL...Not every one like loud.

BUT! Me I love loud. My car is loud as all can be at WOT. LT/O/R X/Hush power 3" catback.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
ROFL, I can't agree more. It boggles my mind that someone would buy a car as aggressive as these 5.0 Mustangs and not want the tune/exhaust to be as aggressive. I guess they outnumber us though, given Ford's choice of stock equipment.

If we had it our way the things would come out of the factory with no restriction past the headers and racing slicks!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
ROFL, I can't agree more. It boggles my mind that someone would buy a car as aggressive as these 5.0 Mustangs and not want the tune/exhaust to be as aggressive. I guess they outnumber us though, given Ford's choice of stock equipment.

If we had it our way the things would come out of the factory with no restriction past the headers and racing slicks!
YOu can get it that way. Its called a Cobra Jet. Even have one with a N/A 5.0 now. It ran mid 10's.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

YOu can get it that way. Its called a Cobra Jet. Even have one with a N/A 5.0 now. It ran mid 10's.
Yeah for a ridiculous price! I can't afford that! Even if I could I wouldn't buy it because I love to build my own S***! don't y'all agree.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Yep no doubt!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Most Brands/Companies will have a variety of sounding mufflers, you just have to remember to ask for the different sounds they have: AGGRESIVE, DEEP, LOW, ETC. I have Magnaflow on both of my cars, Mustang - Aggresive, Camaro - Low/Deep. Difference in sound on both. Both have an o/r X pipe.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
Most Brands/Companies will have a variety of sounding mufflers, you just have to remember to ask for the different sounds they have: AGGRESIVE, DEEP, LOW, ETC. I have Magnaflow on both of my cars, Mustang - Aggresive, Camaro - Low/Deep. Difference in sound on both. Both have an o/r X pipe.
My opinion is go loud go agressive be proud to own the best mustang gt ever built. This car is meant to be loud and fast! Go hard or stay home! of course this is my opinion. No pun intended to all u conservative types
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
My opinion is go loud go agressive be proud to own the best mustang gt ever built. This car is meant to be loud and fast! Go hard or stay home! of course this is my opinion. No pun intended to all u conservative types
My wife, drives the Camaro, and she does not need to have the Loudest car in the neighborhood, and even with the sound it has, it still gets plenty of attention constantley.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
My wife, drives the Camaro, and she does not need to have the Loudest car in the neighborhood, and even with the sound it has, it still gets plenty of attention constantley.
That's never a bad thing every one just wishes they could have one! Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust