New member and exhaust question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 78
New member and exhaust question

What's up guys, I just joined the group yesterday and I have a 2012 GT. I've been looking for exhaust systems other than Borla because I just don't think they're worth the extra money. What axle back systems do you recommend? I'm looking at the flowmaster hushpowers or possibly the roush's system. Any suggestions on either of those or another system? I'll be doing it myself. Thanks guys.
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Y2E0L0L5OGWT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Region: Maryland
Posts: 595
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Re: New member and exhaust question

Axle back systems do little for performance; they are mostly for sound and appearance. Most of the major brands make good products, including FlowMaster, Borla, Magnaflow, Roush, etc. I would google them all & find the one that looks & sounds best to you. My only recommendation would be to get an ALL stainless steel system as it will last longer.

Even though they are quite expensive, Borla makes the best products IMHO. Just remember "you get what you pay for."

Off topic, but where in Maryland? White Marsh here.
__________________
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 78
Definitely looking for something louder than stock but not obnoxious.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Axle back systems do little for performance; they are mostly for sound and appearance. Most of the major brands make good products, including FlowMaster, Borla, Magnaflow, Roush, etc. I would google them all & find the one that looks & sounds best to you. My only recommendation would be to get an ALL stainless steel system as it will last longer.

Even though they are quite expensive, Borla makes the best products IMHO. Just remember "you get what you pay for."

Off topic, but where in Maryland? White Marsh here.
Yeah definitely looking for an all stainless steel system. I know the magnaflows are all stainless. I already have an x pipe and a steeda cai so I'm not worried about performance for my axle back...just concentrating on the best sound. Silver Spring area man. So have you heard any of those systems in person?
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: New member and exhaust question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23 View Post
Definitely looking for something louder than stock but not obnoxious.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------



Yeah definitely looking for an all stainless steel system. I know the magnaflows are all stainless. I already have an x pipe and a steeda cai so I'm not worried about performance for my axle back...just concentrating on the best sound. Silver Spring area man. So have you heard any of those systems in person?
If you already have an x-pipe (especially if it's a no-cat version) and don't want it obnoxious, you may want to look into take-off GT500 mufflers. The Roush have a great sound IMO, but they are pretty damn loud with the stock headers/cats.

Here are mine on a bone stock 5.0 (yes those are 30 day tags lol):





__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

If you already have an x-pipe (especially if it's a no-cat version) and don't want it obnoxious, you may want to look into take-off GT500 mufflers. The Roush have a great sound IMO, but they are pretty damn loud with the stock headers/cats.

Here are mine on a bone stock 5.0 (yes those are 30 day tags lol):





So you like the system overall? Are they all stainless? So you just have the stock h pipe with the roush axlebacks? It puts out a really nice tone man, thanks for including the vids.
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: New member and exhaust question

Yes, I'm running the stock H-Pipe. I'll be installing an off-road x-pipe this winter so I will do a before/after vid when I do.

Overall, I love the system. It sounds great in person, and is very tame while cruising, but under acceleration it sounds like a muscle car should. I have got nothing but compliments on them so far, everyone loves it, even my friend who HATES loud, obnoxious exhausts.

I'm not sure if it's stainless or not tbh. I rarely drive my car in the rain, and it's garaged all winter. Below is a picture of the "can" but it's a bit hard to see since it's still in bubble wrap.

__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Yes, I'm running the stock H-Pipe. I'll be installing an off-road x-pipe this winter so I will do a before/after vid when I do.

Overall, I love the system. It sounds great in person, and is very tame while cruising, but under acceleration it sounds like a muscle car should. I have got nothing but compliments on them so far, everyone loves it, even my friend who HATES loud, obnoxious exhausts.

I'm not sure if it's stainless or not tbh. I rarely drive my car in the rain, and it's garaged all winter. Below is a picture of the "can" but it's a bit hard to see since it's still in bubble wrap.
How do you think it compares to flomaster's hushpower axle back system?
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
20115oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 24
I have flowmaster hushpowers with a BBR O/R X-Pipe and I think my car sounds amazing late model restoration has videos with the flowmaster axle backs with and without cats, check them out.
20115oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
20115oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 24
Also here are some pics of my hushpowers vs the stock muffler, and how the tips are flush in the rear valence.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2711584246.png
Views:	182
Size:	912.7 KB
ID:	34033



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3499345960.png
Views:	183
Size:	775.6 KB
ID:	34034



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3927395226.png
Views:	195
Size:	679.5 KB
ID:	34035



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3026329345.png
Views:	144
Size:	863.2 KB
ID:	34036
20115oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
Lalayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,066
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Welcome
__________________

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: New member and exhaust question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23 View Post
How do you think it compares to flomaster's hushpower axle back system?
I haven't heard them in person, but I think they are quite a bit louder than the hushpowers. I've heard that the hushpowers are a great compliment to an off-road x-pipe and/or longtube headers, but they are expensive and I thought you were trying to keep the cost down.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I haven't heard them in person, but I think they are quite a bit louder than the hushpowers. I've heard that the hushpowers are a great compliment to an off-road x-pipe and/or longtube headers, but they are expensive and I thought you were trying to keep the cost down.
I am trying to keep the cost down...the flomasters are less expensive than roush axlebacks. They run under 4 while the roush's are right around 5...

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20115oh
I have flowmaster hushpowers with a BBR O/R X-Pipe and I think my car sounds amazing late model restoration has videos with the flowmaster axle backs with and without cats, check them out.
Would you recommend them over the roush axlebacks??

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20115oh
Also here are some pics of my hushpowers vs the stock muffler, and how the tips are flush in the rear valence.
Also, where'd you get your taillight tint?
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: New member and exhaust question

Holy crap,exhaust for the 5.0 went up in price. My Roush exhaust was $399 last year.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Holy crap,exhaust for the 5.0 went up in price. My Roush exhaust was $399 last year.
Yeah they're almost up to $500 now...it's ridiculous...
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23

Yeah they're almost up to $500 now...it's ridiculous...
Gettorq.com has them for380$ still!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
20115oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23

I am trying to keep the cost down...the flomasters are less expensive than roush axlebacks. They run under 4 while the roush's are right around 5...

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------



Would you recommend them over the roush axlebacks??

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------



Also, where'd you get your taillight tint?
My tail lights were painted and has 6 coats of clear on them, and I love my hushpowers honestly.
20115oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20115oh

My tail lights were painted and has 6 coats of clear on them, and I love my hushpowers honestly.
Are they all stainless?
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23

Are they all stainless?
The Hushpowers are good AB's. The flowmaster outlaws sound great! If I didn't have the roush I would go that route. But if u are looking at the Hushpowers they sound good also I have a buddy with some he just installed.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23

Are they all stainless?
And yes they are stainless steel construction.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo

The Hushpowers are good AB's. The flowmaster outlaws sound great! If I didn't have the roush I would go that route. But if u are looking at the Hushpowers they sound good also I have a buddy with some he just installed.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------



And yes they are stainless steel construction.
What's the difference in the tones of the outlaws and the hushpowers? Is one louder or deeper sounding??
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
back n a stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 903
Re: New member and exhaust question

I realize you are trying not to spend top dollar,but I have Borla catback w/ x-pipe and it is amazing.Love the sound! Can't go wrong with Borla man!!

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

BTW car looks great!! Black GT's are 2/10's quicker! LOL!! What size tires you got on there?looks like something different than what comes on the Brembo wheel.
__________________
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23

What's the difference in the tones of the outlaws and the hushpowers? Is one louder or deeper sounding??
The outlaws are the most agressive mufflers flowmaster makes and they sound great! Deep tone but is loud at WOT which is not a bad loud but a good loud. The Hushpowers are great too not as loud slightly higher pitched tone. IMO These are the only two mufflers I would buy from flowmaster. Can't go wrong either way both good AB's the roush are excellent mufflers quality fit and finish and sound great! If u could find some roush on sale I would recommend getting them. If u can get in touch with someone from gettorq.com/store last I seen they still had the roush for 380$ it's worth checking out. I agree Borla sound great but to pricey IMO.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
drivinglesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Port Hueneme
Region: California
Posts: 201
I went with the Heartthrob 3" cat to axel and H-pipe, and finished off with a pair of Flowmaster 40 series custom installed. Best money I've ever spent, and the best sounding mustang I have ever had. $369 for the Heartthrob system, and $210 for the Flows installed.
__________________
2016 Mustang GT
drivinglesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
M3to5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Deridder
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 537
Re: New member and exhaust question

I just ordered the FlowMaster American Thunders.... There is guy here who has them and they sound perfect. Not extremely loud at idle and normal driving. They have alot of bass tones, the kind you can feel more than you can hear when standing outside the vehicle. But when he gets on it.... LOOK OUT, they get LOUD.
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New member Jamie5.0 2011-2014 Mustang GT 21 10-12-2011 07:48 AM
New Member from Boise Idaho Rockriders30 New Member Introductions & Greetings 3 09-06-2011 02:48 PM
What is the best way to tighten exhaust manifold? Nel86 1996-2004 Mustang GT 8 08-06-2011 03:57 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:06 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.