New member and exhaust question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
New member and exhaust question

What's up guys, I just joined the group yesterday and I have a 2012 GT. I've been looking for exhaust systems other than Borla because I just don't think they're worth the extra money. What axle back systems do you recommend? I'm looking at the flowmaster hushpowers or possibly the roush's system. Any suggestions on either of those or another system? I'll be doing it myself. Thanks guys.
Brock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Re: New member and exhaust question

Axle back systems do little for performance; they are mostly for sound and appearance. Most of the major brands make good products, including FlowMaster, Borla, Magnaflow, Roush, etc. I would google them all & find the one that looks & sounds best to you. My only recommendation would be to get an ALL stainless steel system as it will last longer.

Even though they are quite expensive, Borla makes the best products IMHO. Just remember "you get what you pay for."

Off topic, but where in Maryland? White Marsh here.
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely looking for something louder than stock but not obnoxious.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Axle back systems do little for performance; they are mostly for sound and appearance. Most of the major brands make good products, including FlowMaster, Borla, Magnaflow, Roush, etc. I would google them all & find the one that looks & sounds best to you. My only recommendation would be to get an ALL stainless steel system as it will last longer.

Even though they are quite expensive, Borla makes the best products IMHO. Just remember "you get what you pay for."

Off topic, but where in Maryland? White Marsh here.
Yeah definitely looking for an all stainless steel system. I know the magnaflows are all stainless. I already have an x pipe and a steeda cai so I'm not worried about performance for my axle back...just concentrating on the best sound. Silver Spring area man. So have you heard any of those systems in person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23 View Post
Definitely looking for something louder than stock but not obnoxious.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Yeah definitely looking for an all stainless steel system. I know the magnaflows are all stainless. I already have an x pipe and a steeda cai so I'm not worried about performance for my axle back...just concentrating on the best sound. Silver Spring area man. So have you heard any of those systems in person?
If you already have an x-pipe (especially if it's a no-cat version) and don't want it obnoxious, you may want to look into take-off GT500 mufflers. The Roush have a great sound IMO, but they are pretty damn loud with the stock headers/cats.

Here are mine on a bone stock 5.0 (yes those are 30 day tags lol):

Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

If you already have an x-pipe (especially if it's a no-cat version) and don't want it obnoxious, you may want to look into take-off GT500 mufflers. The Roush have a great sound IMO, but they are pretty damn loud with the stock headers/cats.

Here are mine on a bone stock 5.0 (yes those are 30 day tags lol):

So you like the system overall? Are they all stainless? So you just have the stock h pipe with the roush axlebacks? It puts out a really nice tone man, thanks for including the vids.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I'm running the stock H-Pipe. I'll be installing an off-road x-pipe this winter so I will do a before/after vid when I do.

Overall, I love the system. It sounds great in person, and is very tame while cruising, but under acceleration it sounds like a muscle car should. I have got nothing but compliments on them so far, everyone loves it, even my friend who HATES loud, obnoxious exhausts.

I'm not sure if it's stainless or not tbh. I rarely drive my car in the rain, and it's garaged all winter. Below is a picture of the "can" but it's a bit hard to see since it's still in bubble wrap.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, I'm running the stock H-Pipe. I'll be installing an off-road x-pipe this winter so I will do a before/after vid when I do.

Overall, I love the system. It sounds great in person, and is very tame while cruising, but under acceleration it sounds like a muscle car should. I have got nothing but compliments on them so far, everyone loves it, even my friend who HATES loud, obnoxious exhausts.

I'm not sure if it's stainless or not tbh. I rarely drive my car in the rain, and it's garaged all winter. Below is a picture of the "can" but it's a bit hard to see since it's still in bubble wrap.
How do you think it compares to flomaster's hushpower axle back system?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have flowmaster hushpowers with a BBR O/R X-Pipe and I think my car sounds amazing late model restoration has videos with the flowmaster axle backs with and without cats, check them out.
20115oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Also here are some pics of my hushpowers vs the stock muffler, and how the tips are flush in the rear valence.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2711584246.png
Views:	182
Size:	912.7 KB
ID:	34033

Name:	image-3499345960.png
Views:	183
Size:	775.6 KB
ID:	34034

Name:	image-3927395226.png
Views:	195
Size:	679.5 KB
ID:	34035

Name:	image-3026329345.png
Views:	144
Size:	863.2 KB
ID:	34036
Old 11-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Welcome

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23 View Post
How do you think it compares to flomaster's hushpower axle back system?
I haven't heard them in person, but I think they are quite a bit louder than the hushpowers. I've heard that the hushpowers are a great compliment to an off-road x-pipe and/or longtube headers, but they are expensive and I thought you were trying to keep the cost down.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I haven't heard them in person, but I think they are quite a bit louder than the hushpowers. I've heard that the hushpowers are a great compliment to an off-road x-pipe and/or longtube headers, but they are expensive and I thought you were trying to keep the cost down.
I am trying to keep the cost down...the flomasters are less expensive than roush axlebacks. They run under 4 while the roush's are right around 5...

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20115oh
I have flowmaster hushpowers with a BBR O/R X-Pipe and I think my car sounds amazing late model restoration has videos with the flowmaster axle backs with and without cats, check them out.
Would you recommend them over the roush axlebacks??

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Also here are some pics of my hushpowers vs the stock muffler, and how the tips are flush in the rear valence.
Also, where'd you get your taillight tint?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Holy crap,exhaust for the 5.0 went up in price. My Roush exhaust was $399 last year.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Holy crap,exhaust for the 5.0 went up in price. My Roush exhaust was $399 last year.
Yeah they're almost up to $500 now...it's ridiculous...
Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock23

Yeah they're almost up to $500 now...it's ridiculous...
Gettorq.com has them for380$ still!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am trying to keep the cost down...the flomasters are less expensive than roush axlebacks. They run under 4 while the roush's are right around 5...

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Would you recommend them over the roush axlebacks??

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Also, where'd you get your taillight tint?
My tail lights were painted and has 6 coats of clear on them, and I love my hushpowers honestly.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My tail lights were painted and has 6 coats of clear on them, and I love my hushpowers honestly.
Are they all stainless?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Are they all stainless?
The Hushpowers are good AB's. The flowmaster outlaws sound great! If I didn't have the roush I would go that route. But if u are looking at the Hushpowers they sound good also I have a buddy with some he just installed.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Quote:

Are they all stainless?
And yes they are stainless steel construction.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo

The Hushpowers are good AB's. The flowmaster outlaws sound great! If I didn't have the roush I would go that route. But if u are looking at the Hushpowers they sound good also I have a buddy with some he just installed.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

And yes they are stainless steel construction.
What's the difference in the tones of the outlaws and the hushpowers? Is one louder or deeper sounding??
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I realize you are trying not to spend top dollar,but I have Borla catback w/ x-pipe and it is amazing.Love the sound! Can't go wrong with Borla man!!

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

BTW car looks great!! Black GT's are 2/10's quicker! LOL!! What size tires you got on there?looks like something different than what comes on the Brembo wheel.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What's the difference in the tones of the outlaws and the hushpowers? Is one louder or deeper sounding??
The outlaws are the most agressive mufflers flowmaster makes and they sound great! Deep tone but is loud at WOT which is not a bad loud but a good loud. The Hushpowers are great too not as loud slightly higher pitched tone. IMO These are the only two mufflers I would buy from flowmaster. Can't go wrong either way both good AB's the roush are excellent mufflers quality fit and finish and sound great! If u could find some roush on sale I would recommend getting them. If u can get in touch with someone from gettorq.com/store last I seen they still had the roush for 380$ it's worth checking out. I agree Borla sound great but to pricey IMO.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I went with the Heartthrob 3" cat to axel and H-pipe, and finished off with a pair of Flowmaster 40 series custom installed. Best money I've ever spent, and the best sounding mustang I have ever had. $369 for the Heartthrob system, and $210 for the Flows installed.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered the FlowMaster American Thunders.... There is guy here who has them and they sound perfect. Not extremely loud at idle and normal driving. They have alot of bass tones, the kind you can feel more than you can hear when standing outside the vehicle. But when he gets on it.... LOOK OUT, they get LOUD.
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust