Cold Air Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
itsme37421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 26
Cold Air Intake

I need some advice on a cold air intake.....I have heard many different things but I need feedback from actual people who have installed...I.E. Brand, H.P. gains and I want it to look good under the hood....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
itsme37421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
DFUNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Palm Bay
Region: Florida
Posts: 97
A picture of this would be nice
__________________
2012 GT Premium Grabber Blue
Shaker 500 | Brembo PKG | Comfort | NAV | Roush Axle Back Exhaust | Pro Cal Tune with drop in K&N | VRROOOOM!
DFUNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
20115oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 24
I'm loving my jlt plasti I picked up about 18-20 I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2211558737.png
Views:	222
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	34111
20115oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Cold Air Intake

Its all who you ask. You talk to the guys actually racing and testing these cars. And they will tell you they are a waste of money. That they seem to show power on the dyno but pick up nothing at the track for MPH/E.T.


On that though I like the way the Carbon Fiber JLT looks.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Its all who you ask. You talk to the guys actually racing and testing these cars. And they will tell you they are a waste of money. That they seem to show power on the dyno but pick up nothing at the track for MPH/E.T.

On that though I like the way the Carbon Fiber JLT looks.
Ya..... That's why they all run with them vs the factory air box!.. Your not making much sense there bud!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Ya..... That's why they all run with them vs the factory air box!.. Your not making much sense there bud!..
Go onto modularfords/S197/SVT and look at all the guys running low 11's that are in fact running factory air boxes. There is least 4 others that said they will sell you there cold air cause it did nothing switching back and forth at the track on the same day running both ways.

A shop or sponsored car will tell you all day t hey picked this up or that up at the track with this or that. Why cause they are there to sell parts. Make money. Facts are there. And I wish I would have not wasted money on my CAI. Besides looking good they have shown no gains on real owners cars.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Dude... Your saying that they show an improvement on a dyno but magically lose it at the track!.. That doesn't make sense!.. And every car I've seen... Sponsored or otherwise... Has had some sort of CAI!.. How can some thing show an improvement on a dyno and not at the track!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Dude... Your saying that they show an improvement on a dyno but magically lose it at the track!.. That doesn't make sense!.. And every car I've seen... Sponsored or otherwise... Has had some sort of CAI!.. How can some thing show an improvement on a dyno and not at the track!..
Cause the gains are really from the tune. Not the cold air. Like said do some research there is least 4 cars I know of that run stock air box that all run from 11.1-11.4. Here is 3 that don't run a cold air at all. I knwo one that had it form this group that took it off and tested it at the track back to back runs. Showed no gains. So took it off and sold it.


wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 173
Get a CAI without the tune, the tune will void your warranty anyway. You will only get about 12 hp but they look great under the hood, especially the stainless steel ones. BBK has a video on there website on how easy the installation is.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
If you get all Ford Racing products, and have them installed at a authorized Ford dealer then your warranty should be just fine.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Cause the gains are really from the tune. Not the cold air.
^^^ this!

If you want one just for looks, just get the cheapest one you can find that doesn't require a tune. Also, as said above, a tune will void your warranty (not that it matters)
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Cold Air Intake

I bought into the whole cold air thing at first. Then I started seeing people running just as fast and faster with out it. Facts are facts. Its all in the tune. SOme think all tunes are equal. And well they simply not.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
In '05 and newer a CAI by itself really will not make much of a difference... Because your TB is controlled electronically!.. You have no throttle cable!.. But with a tune and a CAI you will notice a difference!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: Cold Air Intake

You will notice the difference with just the tune because that's where it's at as stated above.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Cold Air Intake

As a matter of fact, the only reason I have a CAI is because the stock inlet tube does not mount up to the Boss 302 Intake Manifold. There is a kit available now, but it was not when I put my Boss in.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Go onto modularfords/S197/SVT and look at all the guys running low 11's that are in fact running factory air boxes. There is least 4 others that said they will sell you there cold air cause it did nothing switching back and forth at the track on the same day running both ways.

A shop or sponsored car will tell you all day t hey picked this up or that up at the track with this or that. Why cause they are there to sell parts. Make money. Facts are there. And I wish I would have not wasted money on my CAI. Besides looking good they have shown no gains on real owners cars.
With the boss application the larger intake should help right? Being I'm going full exhaust also, more air in and more air out right?all the mods I have combined with a good tune should all work in unison to create a higher a/f rate and make better power right? Same concept with forced induction.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Every thing you do will help play off the other mods... How much so depends on what you do and your tune...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
With the boss application the larger intake should help right? Being I'm going full exhaust also, more air in and more air out right?all the mods I have combined with a good tune should all work in unison to create a higher a/f rate and make better power right? Same concept with forced induction.
Two of the cars I posted have Boss intakes and the stock boss factory intake. A lot of people still feel it is worthless.

A/F can be adjusted with the tune. Lean is mean.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
I wonder if you have a scooped hood that directs outside air directly over your CAI filter. A dyno wouldn't show gains from that (if any) but I wonder if the gains would be noticeable on the track?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I wonder if you have a scooped hood that directs outside air directly over your CAI filter. A dyno wouldn't show gains from that (if any) but I wonder if the gains would be noticeable on the track?
Well look at it this way. Every one always dyno's with the hood open so it can draw more air in. This its self is a flawed way to dyno since you don't race with hood open. Close the hood and place the fan so it would be pulled in as it would be on the track. Few have done this and showed that the Cold Air don't pull much more then a stock box.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Two of the cars I posted have Boss intakes and the stock boss factory intake. A lot of people still feel it is worthless.

A/F can be adjusted with the tune. Lean is mean.
What is the record for Bolton 5.0's in the 1/4 mile ? Is it 11.1? And did this car have the Boss mani? Overall do u think the Boss mani is worth the money for a full bolt on setup? Want opinions

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Two of the cars I posted have Boss intakes and the stock boss factory intake. A lot of people still feel it is worthless.

A/F can be adjusted with the tune. Lean is mean.
I know for sure my car made good power with the boss mani. I think it's worth it.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #22
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
What is the record for Bolton 5.0's in the 1/4 mile ? Is it 11.1? And did this car have the Boss mani? Overall do u think the Boss mani is worth the money for a full bolt on setup? Want opinions

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------



I know for sure my car made good power with the boss mani. I think it's worth it.
The fastest bolt on 5.0 ran 10.8. It had a lot of weight reduction. And I mean a lot. From what I remember it did not have the Boss cause it was not available yet.

As far as the Boss I do think it is worth it on a bolt on car. Just cause the power it make up top. And when drag racing that is where you spend your time is the upper rpm's.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

The fastest bolt on 5.0 ran 10.8. It had a lot of weight reduction. And I mean a lot. From what I remember it did not have the Boss cause it was not available yet.

As far as the Boss I do think it is worth it on a bolt on car. Just cause the power it make up top. And when drag racing that is where you spend your time is the upper rpm's.
Do u think it's worth just doing CAI, Boss, and tune? Wanted ur opinion on that too.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

The fastest bolt on 5.0 ran 10.8. It had a lot of weight reduction. And I mean a lot. From what I remember it did not have the Boss cause it was not available yet.

As far as the Boss I do think it is worth it on a bolt on car. Just cause the power it make up top. And when drag racing that is where you spend your time is the upper rpm's.
10.8 is sick for just bolt ons! Do u know what mods he had?
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #24
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Do u think it's worth just doing CAI, Boss, and tune? Wanted ur opinion on that too.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------



10.8 is sick for just bolt ons! Do u know what mods he had?
I think from seeing some the cars with out cai that just doing the regular boss intake and intake manifold is enough.

The one that ran 10.9. They have it later that ran 10.8 and some one mention 10.7 with more weight out of it. It has no seats but drivers in it at all. Lighter wheels/brakes/driveshaft/full suspension/shocks/springs etc.



same with this one. He ran 10.7 after installing boss manifold.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cold air intake dlove03mach1 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 16 09-22-2011 09:11 PM
cold air intake 08 gt musclehead 2005-2010 Mustang GT 10 09-04-2011 05:44 AM
Vacuum lines coming from passenger fender well.? Otlaw80 1979-1995 Mustang GT 3 08-15-2011 08:01 AM
Roush Cold Air Intake for 2011 5.0? dailey 2011-2014 Mustang GT 4 07-07-2011 02:57 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:27 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.