headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Is gonna make a big difference if I go with shorty headers with the stock mid pipe? Or should I just go with long tubes and an xpipe? If so any suggestions in brand? Gonna go with a catted x because it us too hard to pass inspection round here. Oh yeah its for a 2012 5.0
bigsmitty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Re: headers

2011 and 2012 all same.

Now you will see some slight gains with the shorty's. Even with the catted x pipe. But biggest gains with keeping a catted x pipe will be from LT's. I suggest BBK cause of price. All the LT's have shown the same gains HP/TQ wise. All with in a few HP of each other.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmitty24
Is gonna make a big difference if I go with shorty headers with the stock mid pipe? Or should I just go with long tubes and an xpipe? If so any suggestions in brand? Gonna go with a catted x because it us too hard to pass inspection round here. Oh yeah its for a 2012 5.0
Stainless works!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3639902443.png
Views:	193
Size:	808.1 KB
ID:	34158

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-558027131.png
Views:	178
Size:	845.0 KB
ID:	34159
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Someone anyone tell me what the big difference is between shorty and long tube headers. What are the gains between the two. I have seen that most folks are going long tube, why?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

You pretty much have shortys from the factory with the work that they put in on them. Go with LTs for more gains but there have been people running a O.R. X and seeing the same gains as LTs for less $'s.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
You pretty much have shortys from the factory with the work that they put in on them. Go with LTs for more gains but there have been people running a O.R. X and seeing the same gains as LTs for less $'s.
Yes and no. LT's with O.R. X will make more power then just an O.R. X pipe. BBK shorty's with X pipe has made just as much as LT's with O.R. X pipe. The power is just in different rpm ranges. I know I have a buddy that runs shorties compared to my LT's. His car has also been compared to LT O.R. X pipe cars that had Kooks/ARH/SSW systems. He made same power as them as well on the same dyno same day.

Where the LT's is going to shine is FI or when you go cam and heads really. They will move more air in the long run. The BBK shorty headers did make more WHP over the stock ones as well. Also Some thing to think about is if you go with the Shorty headers you still can put a turbo system on with out changing headers again. LT's you can not do that.

If you are just building a street machine I would go with shorty headers as the power band isn't as high. If building for track go with the LT's. If you have any plans of a Supercharger go with the LT's.

Understand?
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Yes and no. LT's with O.R. X will make more power then just an O.R. X pipe. BBK shorty's with X pipe has made just as much as LT's with O.R. X pipe. The power is just in different rpm ranges. I know I have a buddy that runs shorties compared to my LT's. His car has also been compared to LT O.R. X pipe cars that had Kooks/ARH/SSW systems. He made same power as them as well on the same dyno same day.

Where the LT's is going to shine is FI or when you go cam and heads really. They will move more air in the long run. The BBK shorty headers did make more WHP over the stock ones as well. Also Some thing to think about is if you go with the Shorty headers you still can put a turbo system on with out changing headers again. LT's you can not do that.

If you are just building a street machine I would go with shorty headers as the power band isn't as high. If building for track go with the LT's. If you have any plans of a Supercharger go with the LT's.

Understand?
Yep it does. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I am also considering getting headers as well I plan on getting 1 3/4 longitudes but I cannot decide which brand I want to go with I was almost thinking of going with the kooks but they are so expensive but then again can the bbk's really give you the same results as the kooks ?
5.ohhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of gains would each make, hp/tq wise? I haven't ever really considered changing them out until now, lol.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.ohhhhh
Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I am also considering getting headers as well I plan on getting 1 3/4 longitudes but I cannot decide which brand I want to go with I was almost thinking of going with the kooks but they are so expensive but then again can the bbk's really give you the same results as the kooks ?
Yeah they all make with in a few HP of eachother.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

i love headers
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk 1
i love headers
:Headbang:
Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Sigh... Lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post

Understand?
Thanks, for that Info.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT