Manual Transmission Fluid - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Manual Transmission Fluid

So the stang is all put up for the winter and I'm starting to gear up for some projects to get her ready to kick some serious *** next spring. First on the list is changing the manual transmission fluid, since I'm getting some pretty bad crunching when shifting until it warms up (if the fluid change doesn't fix it I will take it to the dealership but I'm trying to avoid that for all the obvious reasons).

I was planning on putting in Royal Purple MT Fluid, but someone (cant remember who or what forum) said that I should be careful about doing that and only use the dual-clutch MT fluid from Ford/Motorcraft. Is there any credibility behind this or will I be OK running the Royal Purple stuff? If so, should I just get the fluid from Ford or are there any other acceptable alternatives.

Also, if you have changed your fluid out for anything other than the Motorcraft Dual Clutch stuff, please let me know what you used and whether it helped the crunchy gear shifting.

Thanks!
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
So the stang is all put up for the winter and I'm starting to gear up for some projects to get her ready to kick some serious *** next spring. First on the list is changing the manual transmission fluid, since I'm getting some pretty bad crunching when shifting until it warms up (if the fluid change doesn't fix it I will take it to the dealership but I'm trying to avoid that for all the obvious reasons).

I was planning on putting in Royal Purple MT Fluid, but someone (cant remember who or what forum) said that I should be careful about doing that and only use the dual-clutch MT fluid from Ford/Motorcraft. Is there any credibility behind this or will I be OK running the Royal Purple stuff? If so, should I just get the fluid from Ford or are there any other acceptable alternatives.

Also, if you have changed your fluid out for anything other than the Motorcraft Dual Clutch stuff, please let me know what you used and whether it helped the crunchy gear shifting.

Thanks!
I second this! I would like to know the same.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 39
Yea you basically have the same question that I am asking. One of the guys on this forum was telling me there is a TSB I believe and the dealer will change it for you which I am going to look into. I was going to buy the royal purple stuff at first too from anericanmusce.com but someone told me if you use anything other then Ford tranny fluid or what is recommended they might not warranty it if anything ever happens to the tranny.
5.ohhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
jimbullit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Region: Texas
Posts: 706
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.ohhhhh View Post
Yea you basically have the same question that I am asking. One of the guys on this forum was telling me there is a TSB I believe and the dealer will change it for you which I am going to look into. I was going to buy the royal purple stuff at first too from anericanmusce.com but someone told me if you use anything other then Ford tranny fluid or what is recommended they might not warranty it if anything ever happens to the tranny.
True, that. Go with their recommendation, and have it done at the dealer, per their TSB.
__________________
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.ohhhhh View Post
Yea you basically have the same question that I am asking. One of the guys on this forum was telling me there is a TSB I believe and the dealer will change it for you which I am going to look into. I was going to buy the royal purple stuff at first too from anericanmusce.com but someone told me if you use anything other then Ford tranny fluid or what is recommended they might not warranty it if anything ever happens to the tranny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
True, that. Go with their recommendation, and have it done at the dealer, per their TSB.
Yes, there is a TSB but I will not be taking it in. My warranty is history, but I don't want to discuss that. I want to discuss if there are any technical reasons that the Royal Purple MTF would not be compatible with the MT-82. Regardless of the fluid used, I will be doing the change myself.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 39
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

I have not heard anything about the royal purple but I know you can buy it on americanmuscle.com. I would go with the dual clutch.
5.ohhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

I am running redline in mine. I know others running RP or RL as well. No issue. Helps the tranny shift smooth here.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 spd. transmission in Mustang GT made in China Mercedez L. 2011-2014 Mustang GT 24 01-11-2012 09:49 PM
Choosing a tranny? Hawk General Mustang Discussion 0 10-08-2011 08:41 PM
Change Transmission Fluid pcarman 2011-2014 Mustang GT 11 10-01-2011 01:27 PM
Best Transmission Fluid Stang23 2005-2010 Mustang GT 0 08-07-2011 01:48 PM
Auto to Manual swap? BrKu789 1996-2004 Mustang GT 9 07-17-2011 10:17 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:20 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.