Winter Projects - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Winter Projects

So who all has projects lined up for this winter? Here is what I have in store, providing that the time and funds don't dry up!
  1. Change Oil/Filter with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w20 (just hit 5k miles)
  2. Change Manual Transmission Fluid (probably with Royal Purple - see other thread on that)
  3. Remove brake calipers and paint red with Duplicolor caliper paint
  4. Have rotors turned and install Hawk HPS pads
  5. Install Off-Road X-pipe
  6. Install new rear LCAs (thinking UPR Billet LCAs)
  7. Install new UCA and mount (probably UPR pro street)
  8. Install JLT Oil Separator
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
So who all has projects lined up for this winter? Here is what I have in store, providing that the time and funds don't dry up!

[*]Change Oil/Filter with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w30 (just hit 5k miles)[*]Change Manual Transmission Fluid (probably with Royal Purple - see other thread on that)[*]Remove brake calipers and paint red with Duplicolor caliper paint[*]Have rotors turned and install Hawk HPS pads[*]Install Off-Road X-pipe[*]Install new rear LCAs (thinking UPR Billet LCAs)[*]Install new UCA and mount (probably UPR pro street)
Sweet ! U already know what I'm doing
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Good idea for a thread.

Have to install the Roush Blower and get it dynoed. Yayyyy.

Fix the 1995. Had a fire accident. Have to replace a little plastic and order a new good. Taking all the glass out and allll the interior. Makin it my track car. Have tweak the suspension a little. Basically wanna make the car around 2800 pounds. Hopefully run low 9s high 8s
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Winter Projects

FR Upper Strut mounts
FR K springs
Eibach adjustable LCA's
UMI LCA relocation Brackets
Saleen Grill
RTR Front spoiler
5.0 Black Billet Fuel door
Reverse C Stripes
18' GT 500 Black rims with Chrome red lugs (going to look HAWT)
Billet steel Coolant reservoir (plastic one is UNSIGHTLY)
Billet steel Power steering reservoir

Yeah... that sums it up

oh I forgot J and M adjustable panhard rod
Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0 View Post
FR Upper Strut mounts
FR K springs
Eibach adjustable LCA's
UMI LCA relocation Brackets
Saleen Grill
RTR Front spoiler
5.0 Black Billet Fuel door
Reverse C Stripes
18' GT 500 Black rims with Chrome red lugs (going to look HAWT)
Billet steel Coolant reservoir (plastic one is UNSIGHTLY)
Billet steel Power steering reservoir

Yeah... that sums it up

oh I forgot J and M adjustable panhard rod
Nice! Where did you find chrome red lugnuts? Also, going with the FRPP springs and mounts but not the dampers? Might as well shell out the extra cash at that point to have the whole system.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Nice! Where did you find chrome red lugnuts? Also, going with the FRPP springs and mounts but not the dampers? Might as well shell out the extra cash at that point to have the whole system.

Ebay is your friend

Damn dampers are 469 bucks.... damn that!!! Price of dampers, mounts and springs.... hell you are almost at a full price coil over system at that point
Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ebay is your friend

Damn dampers are 469 bucks.... damn that!!! Price of dampers, mounts and springs.... hell you are almost at a full price coil over system at that point
$399 at LRS. Still, I see your point but keep in mind that the stock dampers aren't tuned for the FRPP springs. You'll be lowering the car but won't see much, if any, improvement in handling. If all you want to do is lower the car you should be fine.

You may be able to do without the mounts even ... I've heard a lot of conflicting information on that and you may want to call Ford Racing and ask to be sure. I have heard that the springs fit the stock mounts just fine. I have also heard that they don't seat properly on the stock mounts and you need the FRPP/GT500 upper mounts for proper fitment. I have also seen people say that the stock dampers will not work with the FRPP/GT500 mounts. This is all internet wisdom so take it with a grain of salt, none of it has been independently verified.

Personally, I would treat it as a system and replace all the parts together, but my goals may be different than yours.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I am going with the K springs and everyone I have contacted said I needed to buy at a minimum the Strut mounts.... which I just ordered a week or so ago. I have the springs sitting my office.... begging to be installed. The drop is supposed to be 1.5 front and rear.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am going with the K springs and everyone I have contacted said I needed to buy at a minimum the Strut mounts.... which I just ordered a week or so ago. I have the springs sitting my office.... begging to be installed. The drop is supposed to be 1.5 front and rear.
Can you elaborate on who "everyone" is please? I'd love to get some final answers to that question.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Start with reading the reviews on American Muscle, then google it, several forums address the issue. Some say you can live without them, BUT..... they dont fit perfect which will cause excessive wear and tear on the struts themselves as well as the mounts. The mounts are only 85 bucks so it was a no brainer for me.

That being said..... I find it a bit ridiculous that aftermarket companies like Eibach and H&R make direct fit replacement springs where Ford doesn't.. So in the process of trying to save some bread by going with FR springs, I ended up forking more out than a set of Eibachs would have cost to begin with. CONSPIRACY!!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Start with reading the reviews on American Muscle, then google it, several forums address the issue. Some say you can live without them, BUT..... they dont fit perfect which will cause excessive wear and tear on the struts themselves as well as the mounts. The mounts are only 85 bucks so it was a no brainer for me.

That being said..... I find it a bit ridiculous that aftermarket companies like Eibach and H&R make direct fit replacement springs where Ford doesn't.. So in the process of trying to save some bread by going with FR springs, I ended up forking more out than a set of Eibachs would have cost to begin with. CONSPIRACY!!!!!
If you go to the Ford Racing Parts site they are pretty clear that they recommend the springs/dampers/mounts all be used together so I wouldn't call it a conspiracy. It's no surprise that aftermarket parts are cheaper though!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

you are all so ambitious !!!!
I'm getting my car re-tuned because i recently put long tubes on...
and was thinking of going with a Zex No2 kit ,with a flip chip ,2 tunes one for Na and the other with the NO2 tune ...........
Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
you are all so ambitious !!!!
You really think so? I probably have about $600 of mods lined up, many of them are cheap.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You really think so? I probably have about $600 of mods lined up, many of them are cheap.
Man just do it big!! U only live once right!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sitting in my office
FR K springs
FR GT500 Upper strut mounts
Eibach LCA's
J and M Panhard rod

Just waiting on the relocation brackets and its..... GAME ON!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Man just do it big!! U only live once right!
I know where a Vortech Black 45th Ann. full kit is. 4k. Go big or go home.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

After winter I will be doing a E85 tune also. XMAS and traveling put a stop to spending right now. I will need new injectors to go with the E85. I have 80's now. But will need 105's.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

-New window motor
-New smoked one piece front headlights
-New smoked taillights
-And possibly tint the windows
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I got a upr offload x-pipe otw from UPR (same design as bbr) thanks to their black Friday sale. 15% off any upr products, still going on afaik. I also talked my dad into ordering the upr billet LCAs for an Xmas present. Upr UCA/3rd link will be ordered next paycheck!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I just got word that my off-road x-pipe and billet LCAs have arrived. I'll be installing the x ASAP, but the LCAs are being held hostage since they are a Christmas present.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Wish me luck... just got wind of a year long back dated promotion coming my way.... should be 4+k if I did the math right...... I can complete what I want to do to my girl.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Did the x-pipe install tonight. Went as bad as possible. More details tomorrow ...
Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did the x-pipe install tonight. Went as bad as possible. More details tomorrow ...
Lol can't wait to hear this. I dunno how installing a x pipe could be bad lol
Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
So jealous!!!! I'm a freshmen in college and just got the dam* car but dad won't let me spend ne money on it.... Must put my money away he says well he just don't know how it is bc he don't own a mustang ha if only he knew the our passion!
Fordhartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
Lol can't wait to hear this. I dunno how installing a x pipe could be bad lol
Yeah ... you would be surprised ...
Old 12-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

sorry haha I always read the unread posts.... didnt realize this was in the 2010-14 thread lol

ok with the bike being gone, and whatnot now, the funds have shifted a little. First winter where the car can be worked on pretty aggressively. And seeing as How I am moving to FL in a couple months, and I am going to finally put the car into some shows, might as well have her ready to go am I right? lol

Exterior
-Roush Front Bumper
-My Own Fiberglass Side Skirts
-My Own Fiberglass Rear Lip (exhaust cutout delete setup)
-Flat Black Stripes with Anodized blue trim (in progress)
-Anodized Blue Extended Lugs
-Anodized Blue Painted Caliper Covers
-Blue Side Mirror Overlay Tint (think beemers)
-True Blue Headlights
-True Blue Foglights
-Smoked Foglights
-True Blue Reverse Lights

Wheels And Tires
-Wedssport 18x8 SA55M Black/Blue Fronts
-Wedssport 18x10 SA55M Black/Blue Rears
-Nitto NT555R rubber

Interior
-Striping To Mock the Exterior
-Blue Backlit Guages
-Blue Neons

Performance
-On3Performance Turbo kit
-373 Gears
-Rear Diff Rebuild Kit
-Jegs Install Kit
-75mm TB/Plenum
-JLT Intake

Engine Dress Up
-Stainless Steel Lines
-Anodized Blue Accents Everywhere

I might have forgotten a few things, but the rough budget is about 7 grand in the long run. cant wait to have her all finished up hopefully before the move down to FL so I wont have to take an unfinished car down with me!

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Ok ... here we go.

Things started off badly when I opened the box. There was not really any packaging and the pipes had been left to their own devices to bang around. This caused both of the downpipes from the headers to become deformed at the end and it took some love to get them back to round and in a shape where they could go back together.

Once we got everything test fitted we started on the disassembly. This went well enough, other than the one bolt on the passenger side that you have to come at from the engine bay. I had to use two exensions and a swivel to get to this nut and it was pretty tough to break loose. We got everything loosened up and the exhaust came apart without too much arguement, other than trying to guess how the clamps between the mid-pipe and over-axle pipes came off while laying on my back with the car on jackstands.

From there, we started on the install of the x-pipe, which was cut short by the fact that it didn't ship with any bolts, nuts or gaskets. A trip to the parts store (killed more than an hour here) was able to produce some bolts and nuts but we had to re-use the gaskets. We had a hard time getting it all mounted up as well ... there were no insturctions and it really only slides into place if you put it up under the car pre-assembled. This is pretty tough to do with the car on jackstands...

We finally got everything bolted up and tightened so it was time to load the tune. I plug my X3 into my laptop and load the update program which informs me that there is a firmware update. Bama has been very clear to always run the latest firmware before loading new tunes so I start the update process. Halfway through it fails and my X3 says something to the tune of "filesystem error must be reloaded." I was able to get the tuner to boot again, but the menus were all empty. To compound this issue, there was a typo (on my end or bama's, not sure who) which caused the SN in the tune and the X3 to differ, meaning that I couldn't load the new tunes on the tuner. It turns out that this wouldn't have mattered anyways since I wasn't able to load any tunes from the x3 to the PCM without it getting fixed.

The good news: I had returned the car to stock so wiping the SCT X3 was no biggie. I have also already gotten ahold of SCT and the X3 is now fixed, and Bama has already sent me updated tunes. I'm going to run to the location that the car is garaged at on my lunch break and load the new tunes, hopefully I will have a video this afternoon.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok ... here we go.

Things started off badly when I opened the box. There was not really any packaging and the pipes had been left to their own devices to bang around. This caused both of the downpipes from the headers to become deformed at the end and it took some love to get them back to round and in a shape where they could go back together.

Once we got everything test fitted we started on the disassembly. This went well enough, other than the one bolt on the passenger side that you have to come at from the engine bay. I had to use two exensions and a swivel to get to this nut and it was pretty tough to break loose. We got everything loosened up and the exhaust came apart without too much arguement, other than trying to guess how the clamps between the mid-pipe and over-axle pipes came off while laying on my back with the car on jackstands.

From there, we started on the install of the x-pipe, which was cut short by the fact that it didn't ship with any bolts, nuts or gaskets. A trip to the parts store (killed more than an hour here) was able to produce some bolts and nuts but we had to re-use the gaskets. We had a hard time getting it all mounted up as well ... there were no insturctions and it really only slides into place if you put it up under the car pre-assembled. This is pretty tough to do with the car on jackstands...

We finally got everything bolted up and tightened so it was time to load the tune. I plug my X3 into my laptop and load the update program which informs me that there is a firmware update. Bama has been very clear to always run the latest firmware before loading new tunes so I start the update process. Halfway through it fails and my X3 says something to the tune of "filesystem error must be reloaded." I was able to get the tuner to boot again, but the menus were all empty. To compound this issue, there was a typo (on my end or bama's, not sure who) which caused the SN in the tune and the X3 to differ, meaning that I couldn't load the new tunes on the tuner. It turns out that this wouldn't have mattered anyways since I wasn't able to load any tunes from the x3 to the PCM without it getting fixed.

The good news: I had returned the car to stock so wiping the SCT X3 was no biggie. I have also already gotten ahold of SCT and the X3 is now fixed, and Bama has already sent me updated tunes. I'm going to run to the location that the car is garaged at on my lunch break and load the new tunes, hopefully I will have a video this afternoon.
LOL, literally the smallest dumb little things went wrong uh? What brand of x pipe did you go with? I remember installing my exhaust system on my 1995. I had to bed the x pipe in order for it to match up to my headers. I had an off road BBK, my Dad took pictures of how off it was to the headers, took a picture of me heating it up and bending it, then a picture of me
Installing it when it finally fit. It was off about an inch all together. Called BBK told them the issue, email the pictures. They gave me my money back for the x pipe( let me keep it to) and gave me a 300 dollar gift card too. Bought my self my 75mm throttle body with it
Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
LOL, literally the smallest dumb little things went wrong uh? What brand of x pipe did you go with? I remember installing my exhaust system on my 1995. I had to bed the x pipe in order for it to match up to my headers. I had an off road BBK, my Dad took pictures of how off it was to the headers, took a picture of me heating it up and bending it, then a picture of me
Installing it when it finally fit. It was off about an inch all together. Called BBK told them the issue, email the pictures. They gave me my money back for the x pipe( let me keep it to) and gave me a 300 dollar gift card too. Bought my self my 75mm throttle body with it
I'm going to withhold the brand for now since I really haven't had a chance to work with the manufacturer.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

My upcoming [winter] projects:

Suspension:
- Watts Linkage in the rearend
- Adjustable Sway Bar

Intake:
- 62mm TB
- C&L Alum. Manifold

Exterior:
- Smoked Headlights
- Smoked Tail lights
- Tinted Corner Lenses
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Got the tune situated at lunch.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:

Sounds awesome!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT