2011+ 5.0 Mustang Low Oil Thread - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Dodged a bullet...

I think I would send some of that oil to be tested.....I am waiting on a friend to send me that info on where and all to do it.If you are wanting the info too , let me know.Glad it's running ok.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #37
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Apparently the dipstick only reads the top 2qts. I am hoping this is correct and it was just the initial shock of pulling the dipstick and seeing no oil at all.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

That's good to know that it only reads the top two quarts, never heard that before.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Apparently the dipstick only reads the top 2qts. I am hoping this is correct and it was just the initial shock of pulling the dipstick and seeing no oil at all.
Never heard of that either where did u find this info??
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #40
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Never heard of that either where did u find this info??
Several guys over on S197 mentioned it.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Just changed my oil today and I was a quart low which showed up on the bottom of my dipstick put eight quarts in and it was at the full mark and my command center said 14 percent oil life remaining

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #42
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
Just changed my oil today and I was a quart low which showed up on the bottom of my dipstick put eight quarts in and it was at the full mark and my command center said 14 percent oil life remaining
Go into engineering mode on the command center and you can adjust your oil life percentage.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #43
Road Trip!

Region: California
have you try putting on oil cach cans to meassure how much and how often the can is feeling up, if there's no oil leak on bottom or inside
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

After reading all this, I finally got around to checking my oil...I have about 3900 miles on it now... did my 1st change at the dealer at 1300 miles... right now are 3900 miles I was about 1.5 quarts low :-/ I hope its because of motor break in...
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Go into engineering mode on the command center and you can adjust your oil life percentage.
Yeah I went in and reset it right away so it's at 99 percent again

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoortiz85
have you try putting on oil cach cans to meassure how much and how often the can is feeling up, if there's no oil leak on bottom or inside
I just installed an oil catch can noticed little bits of oil on the Pcv connection so I figure that's where some of that one quart went.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Yes the dipstick is only picking up the top 2 qts of oil. For the dipstick to pick up to the bottom of the pan the measuring area would be as long as the pan is deep to reach the bottom of the sump. There is no physical way to gauge just the bottom section of the pan with a dipstick. Think about it.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Region: California
ever since I put the oil cach cans both sides there's more oil been cach on the pcv valve side and on driver side all I get is moisture whit little oil
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #48
Regular
Supporter

Re: 2011+ 5.0 Mustang Low Oil Thread

Just a note for anyone with these 11-12 cars. Check the oil often throughout the break in period. Dont have a heart attack like me when you see a low dipstick and remember the dipstick only reads the top 2 qts.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

At 2,350 miles my 2012 GT was down two quarts. I did check it the day after delivery and the level was correct. After topping it up I am now keeping an eye on and checking weekly. Will let you all know how she does.

Tom
pcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

if it reads low...does that mean it's low.

0xxxxxx0

use the above to show me when it's a quart low?
dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:30 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

My mustang had to be driven 300 miles to a dealership by where I live. I was told for the trouble they'd change the oil for me. Well after about 4,000 miles and some reading on the Internet I checked the oil (as I was fixing to change it) and the dipstick was dry. A little over 9,000 miles now and it's exactly where I filled it. But honestly I'm not sure how much oil they put in it.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey View Post
if it reads low...does that mean it's low.

0xxxxxx0

use the above to show me when it's a quart low?
Is that a ... dipstick ?? (sorry couldn't resist)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Just a note for anyone with these 11-12 cars. Check the oil often throughout the break in period. Dont have a heart attack like me when you see a low dipstick and remember the dipstick only reads the top 2 qts.
None of us or anybody wants their car to be low on oil for the no brainer reason,but......I will say this.I done another oil change recently that had only 1700 miles of use and only a bit over 1/2 quart low.I put back 5w 20 Mobil 1 one and a Fram XG for now.Will start using K&N after this next change which I feel the oil usage will be subsided.I had my car up on those portable black platforms like you see at parts stores.When I pulled the stick it looked I had over filled big time(Put 8 quarts exact).Rolled it off instead of starting the motor.The angle of my driveway leans a little from the car sits and showing just a tad high.I pulled the car out in front of my place and it was a absolute level spot.10 minutes later I check oil over and over. IT WAS F-ing DEAD PERFECT. Moral of the story is the stick and these motors are very sensitive and like DDTCM said.Looks to measure 2 quarts.Just be sure your car is very level.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Little late on the discussion here but, I bought a 2012 GT November 2011 and already had to put 2 quarts in since...about 3200 miles on her right now.

I called to schedule a maintenance appointment at the local Ford dealer for the TSB about the hard shifting tranny in cold weather and asked the tech about the oil usage. He told me it is "normal" for the first 15000 miles; smells kind of fishy to me.

Does anyone know if there's a TSB for the oil usage?

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
Electronics Package w/ Rear Camera
HID Headlamps
Borla ATAK Axle Back Exhaust
robesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robesope
Little late on the discussion here but, I bought a 2012 GT November 2011 and already had to put 2 quarts in since...about 3200 miles on her right now.

I called to schedule a maintenance appointment at the local Ford dealer for the TSB about the hard shifting tranny in cold weather and asked the tech about the oil usage. He told me it is "normal" for the first 15000 miles; smells kind of fishy to me.

Does anyone know if there's a TSB for the oil usage?
There is not, it's "normal."
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
There is not, it's "normal."
Thanks Napolean, I am looking forward to the time the engine gets broken-in. Next question is... so where exactly is the oil going?

being burnt-up somewhere?

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
HID Headlamps
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robesope View Post
Thanks Napolean, I am looking forward to the time the engine gets broken-in. Next question is... so where exactly is the oil going?

being burnt-up somewhere?
It's mostly being sucked into the intake manifold through the passenger-side PCV tube and being burned up inside your engine. Yes, this is bad. You can fix it by installing an oil catch can aka oil separator. JLT makes one that looks pretty good (available in black or silver) and can be had for about $100.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's mostly being sucked into the intake manifold through the passenger-side PCV tube and being burned up inside your engine. Yes, this is bad. You can fix it by installing an oil catch can aka oil separator. JLT makes one that looks pretty good (available in black or silver) and can be had for about $100.
+1 and highly recommend!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So the oil catch can/separator doesn't stop the oil from getting low but just prevents it from going into the wrong part of the engine (intake manifold)?

Does this catch can/separator have to be emptied on occassion?

I'll give the dealer a call to ask if this voids any warranties.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

I just did a search for "oil catch can" on google "images" and about half-way scrolling through the images...WOW! I want one of THOSE catch cans with a little skirt!

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
HID Headlamps
Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robesope View Post
So the oil catch can/separator doesn't stop the oil from getting low but just prevents it from going into the wrong part of the engine (intake manifold)?

Does this catch can/separator have to be emptied on occassion?

I'll give the dealer a call to ask if this voids any warranties.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

I just did a search for "oil catch can" on google "images" and about half-way scrolling through the images...WOW! I want one of THOSE catch cans with a little skirt!
Man it will not void warranty.Yes you will have to check and empty it from time to time. Watch it a bit closer during your first 10 to 15,000 miles.Totally normal to have some in it.Do not put back into motor.Just dis-regard it.Do not cut corners on which to buy.JLT makes a great one and great quality.They are light and serve there purpose.Pricey but best little mod for the money..You can expect it to be $119.99 but catch a sale going on and get it for around 109.99.They are plug and play right out the box.You can see it in my pictures I think...not sure w/o looking.Your motor and accurate octane will love you for it
Old 02-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Talking Re: 2011+ 5.0 Mustang Low Oil Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Man it will not void warranty.Yes you will have to check and empty it from time to time. Watch it a bit closer during your first 10 to 15,000 miles.Totally normal to have some in it.Do not put back into motor.Just dis-regard it.Do not cut corners on which to buy.JLT makes a great one and great quality.They are light and serve there purpose.Pricey but best little mod for the money..You can expect it to be $119.99 but catch a sale going on and get it for around 109.99.They are plug and play right out the box.You can see it in my pictures I think...not sure w/o looking.Your motor and accurate octane will love you for it
OK, I'm sold. Yes, I think I do see it on the passenger side of your engine. Is it mounted in some way or is it light enough to hang there?

This will be my first mod!

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
HID Headlamps
Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

i have the same problem with my car now, 2012 GT. I got my oil changed at 1700 miles and went with full synthetic from the Ford dealership and they said the oil is supposed to last 20,000 miles which seemed like a lot to me but my car has been saying "oil change required" for a month now, i check the oil and its still clean! Also, i checked it the other day and when its not running, no oil even comes up on the dip stick.
SkoSter06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #63
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoSter06 View Post
i have the same problem with my car now, 2012 GT. I got my oil changed at 1700 miles and went with full synthetic from the Ford dealership and they said the oil is supposed to last 20,000 miles which seemed like a lot to me but my car has been saying "oil change required" for a month now, i check the oil and its still clean! Also, i checked it the other day and when its not running, no oil even comes up on the dip stick.
If you don't see any oil on the stick you are gonna be at least 2 qts low. The stick only reads the top 2 qts.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

If you don't see any oil on the stick you are gonna be at least 2 qts low. The stick only reads the top 2 qts.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoSter06
Make sure to check your oil regularly. It's good to follow the regular maintenance schedule, but your best indicator of the condition of the oil is the dipstick.

And I don't know who told you the oil will last 20,000 miles...that's ridiculous.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
20000 miles is too much. The oil may look clean but it also has thermal viscosity breakdown happening. Change it immediately if the computer says to. I have always ran full synthetics in mine and I get that message after about 5000-6000 miles. Running mobil 1 in mine. The oil not only lubricates but cools the bottom of the pistons when the oil squirters shoot it there. The oil pulls a bit of het through it. Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #66

Region: Virginia

I have yet to own a car that does't burn oil to some degree. The Camaro owners manual says to chk the oil every time gas is filled. One to two quarts low in an 8 quart system is certainly within the realm of normalcy. The owners manual says to check oil every month. The L - H oil pressure gauge should reveal a more serious problem. I owned an Audi S4 and it burned more oil than my Mustang.
martin.graybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Well I got 4100 miles and been watching mine close.I checked it after a trip and it was at the bottom hole on the stick.Feel its ok and all but having to add a quart is not cool on a new motor.This break in **** is not what it is I doubt but sure as hell hope so.
How often are you having to drain your oil catch can/seperator? I just checked the oil on mine and it was almost bone dry. Something is really fishy here.
Martinkid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #68
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinkid33 View Post
How often are you having to drain your oil catch can/seperator? I just checked the oil on mine and it was almost bone dry. Something is really fishy here.
I freaked when I pulled the stick and saw the same thing. Just remember that the stick measures the top 2 QTS.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinkid33 View Post
When you checked the dipstick or the catch can?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I freaked when I pulled the stick and saw the same thing. Just remember that the stick measures the top 2 QTS.
wow...didn't know that. That makes me feel way better. My Dad, Brother, & I were all like WTF. hahaha! Either way this won't happen again.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote:
When you checked the dipstick or the catch can?
Dipstick.
Martinkid33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT