Finally making a little progress - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

People are mostly taking them off due to increased NVH. The "problem" is that the stiffer bushings and tubular construction of most LCAs/UCAs out there are more prone to transmitting drivetrain noise into the cabin.

People who want a cushy DD car don't like this and take them off, but it was likely that they just got the wrong thing. If you want to see some gains with minimal increased NVH make sure that you aren't getting spherical bushings, and if you can get LCAs that are not tubular (such as machined billet) you won't have as much increase.

Hope that helps and that I explained it well enough ... I'm not an expert in suspension by any means but this is just what I have found through my research.
Think he was referring to ppl taking off the Boss mani not the LCA's..
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Finally making a little progress

I was talking about the Boss mani.. I plan to do one myself still but not in the hurry like I was. I have saw on S197 and Modular about some guys taking them off.One guy does some road course and it is not optimal for him and I can see that.Some have been going to the drag strip and making passes with it and then pulling it right there at track and making passes and not seeing the gains they expected.Debatable.Some argue over if it's 1/4 or 1/8 passes.Some saying they loose on low end and gain on high.I think we all know it's a good mod,but it is for the upper RPM range to take advantae of it.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Think he was referring to ppl taking off the Boss mani not the LCA's..
Ahh sorry, I suck at reading apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
I was talking about the Boss mani.. I plan to do one myself still but not in the hurry like I was. I have saw on S197 and Modular about some guys taking them off.One guy does some road course and it is not optimal for him and I can see that.Some have been going to the drag strip and making passes with it and then pulling it right there at track and making passes and not seeing the gains they expected.Debatable.Some argue over if it's 1/4 or 1/8 passes.Some saying they loose on low end and gain on high.I think we all know it's a good mod,but it is for the upper RPM range to take advantae of it.
I have heard of people taking them off as well, but I think it's due to a couple things. 1, they aren't willing to run the car in the RPM range where you see the gains, and 2, their tune isn't taking advantage of the airflow at higher RPM ranges.

For me the gains were very clear. The entire RPM range was smoothed out and more supported. I lost very little, if any power down low and the gains above 6500 are incredible. When I put it on I took a friend of mine that has the same setup but without a Boss for a ride and he said at first he was bummed that he didn't feel a difference, until I wound it out past 7k and he was amazed at how much power was put into the top end.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

I have heard of people taking them off as well, but I think it's due to a couple things. 1, they aren't willing to run the car in the RPM range where you see the gains, and 2, their tune isn't taking advantage of the airflow at higher RPM ranges.

For me the gains were very clear. The entire RPM range was smoothed out and more supported. I lost very little, if any power down low and the gains above 6500 are incredible. When I put it on I took a friend of mine that has the same setup but without a Boss for a ride and he said at first he was bummed that he didn't feel a difference, until I wound it out past 7k and he was amazed at how much power was put into the top end.
Napoleon85,
I think this is exactly right and alot of car owners are not willing to carry out past 7000.Some are not getting the most out of there tune and some tuners are not willing to carry the guy out to 7800. Although,I can see why a guy doing some road course racing would not want it or feel he's benefiting from it.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 12-17-2011, 03:57 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
We have all been there. I was a little confused on trying to figure out what the Boss Mani had to do with the LCAs, But I kept reading...Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Quote:

This is what everyone is saying, but I have yet to see anything that will give you real gains in the lower RPM. And I think if you are going the Boss Mani route, you need to do the LTH, X-pipe, and so on. I think Benzo said he sees gains lower in the rpm range with his, don't quote me. But it's cheaper way to get some HP if you can't afford a S/C. IMO
Old 12-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
This is what everyone is saying, but I have yet to see anything that will give you real gains in the lower RPM. And I think if you are going the Boss Mani route, you need to do the LTH, X-pipe, and so on. I think Benzo said he sees gains lower in the rpm range with his, don't quote me. But it's cheaper way to get some HP if you can't afford a S/C. IMO
Its not much cheaper if you do LTs lol. I did a lot of research and just didn't see the big gains with LTs over just and off-road X-pipe on these cars unless you're going FI. We're talking about a ~5-10HP difference, for a cost difference of over $1000. Not worth it IMO, and I'm happy with what I'm getting out of my current mods, and I'm sure I'll be much happier when I get dyno tuned this spring/summer.

I've posted this before, but here is a guy who put down 429/365 (on a Mustang Dyno mind you) with just axlebacks on a Boss mani.

http://pickupspluscars.com/gallery/m...g2_itemId=3964

Here's a guy from the same place that just had a CAI/stock intake tuned on the same dyno.

http://pickupspluscars.com/gallery/m...g2_itemId=3944

You can draw your own conclusions from the charts, but to me it proves that the gains are very real.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Its not much cheaper if you do LTs lol. I did a lot of research and just didn't see the big gains with LTs over just and off-road X-pipe on these cars unless you're going FI. We're talking about a ~5-10HP difference, for a cost difference of over $1000. Not worth it IMO, and I'm happy with what I'm getting out of my current mods, and I'm sure I'll be much happier when I get dyno tuned this spring/summer.

I've posted this before, but here is a guy who put down 429/365 (on a Mustang Dyno mind you) with just axlebacks on a Boss mani.

http://pickupspluscars.com/gallery/m...g2_itemId=3964

Here's a guy from the same place that just had a CAI/stock intake tuned on the same dyno.

http://pickupspluscars.com/gallery/m...g2_itemId=3944

You can draw your own conclusions from the charts, but to me it proves that the gains are very real.
LT's are worth the money if ur going full bolt on as all the mods complement each other and with a CDT will make great power!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
LT's are worth the money if ur going full bolt on as all the mods complement each other and with a CDT will make great power!
Right, and I think you will be pushing 460ish HP once you get a good dyno? Which is more than enough power for me. I think the combo of the Boss Mani, CAI, LT, X-pipe and some new exhaust really compliments each other for maximum gain. Just from what I'm reading... You are talking $2400 for parts give or take based on brand versus $5500+ for S/C...This doesn't include install or the dyno.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #44
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
You don't have to pay 5k or more for a SC. Mine was only 3800.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
But how much for installation at the average price??
Old 12-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Do it your self for free lol or pay someone at least a thousand

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

The place that's doing my dyno tuning wanted 2100 for dyno tune cam install and roots type blower installed
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

The place that's doing my dyno tuning wanted 2100 for dyno tune cam install and roots type blower installed
I agree installation will cost the average person 1000+$
Old 12-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

At least and then you need injectors,BAP and MAF with most of the type power we want.All in all it takes deep pockets.I am gonna be happy with all bolt ons for now.Want a good clutch and that about do it for me.The list is long but getting shorter
Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #49
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post

That is actually really cheap for that work. Most people want $1200-$1500 just for the cams.

Depending on the blower you buy most people could do the install them selves. Only ones that I wouldn't really do is the Whipple/KB cause you have to cut the block. But the Centri blowers are actually really easy to install.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
At least and then you need injectors,BAP and MAF with most of the type power we want.All in all it takes deep pockets.I am gonna be happy with all bolt ons for now.Want a good clutch and that about do it for me.The list is long but getting shorter
You can get a complete kit for about $4300 and not have to buy anything else. It comes with a tune/BAP/Injectors. And with the base kit don't need a MAF. And the gains are way bigger. That would still make 600whp.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

That is actually really cheap for that work. Most people want $1200-$1500 just for the cams.

Depending on the blower you buy most people could do the install them selves. Only ones that I wouldn't really do is the Whipple/KB cause you have to cut the block. But the Centri blowers are actually really easy to install.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

You can get a complete kit for about $4300 and not have to buy anything else. It comes with a tune/BAP/Injectors. And with the base kit don't need a MAF. And the gains are way bigger. That would still make 600whp.
I have the Vortech kit. 8 to 10 hours for a shop to install.
2011 mustang gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Full kit? Send me a link...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT