noisy 6sp tranny - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
noisy 6sp tranny

First, I'm new here and new to the mustang world. Had my 2012 gt premium for 34 days now. Got my first speeding ticket in 20 years on day number 29!

I've heard complaints about the transmission being noisy and mine seems to be louder in 1,2, and 4th. 3rd on up is quiet as can be. Any chance it can have something to do with that stupid 1st to 4th shift thing? I hate that! Can it be shut off without a programmer? I've been told that if I use any aftermarket programmer it automatically voids my warranty. BUT, if I use any ford authorized aftermarket parts and have them installed by my dealer, then they have to honor my warranty. I'm thinking of getting the ford racing programmer and having them tweak it some. Is it worth the money? Can I really get a noticeable difference out of it with keeping everything else stock? My only other plans are to do an axle back exhaust. Any recommendations? Oh, actually my first investment will be a Valentine 1. Aparently our local barney five has a thing for "ticket me red" mustangs... Got me at 21 over the posted speed...
charlysems is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: noisy 6sp tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlysems View Post
First, I'm new here and new to the mustang world. Had my 2012 gt premium for 34 days now. Got my first speeding ticket in 20 years on day number 29!

I've heard complaints about the transmission being noisy and mine seems to be louder in 1,2, and 4th. 3rd on up is quiet as can be. Any chance it can have something to do with that stupid 1st to 4th shift thing? I hate that! Can it be shut off without a programmer? I've been told that if I use any aftermarket programmer it automatically voids my warranty. BUT, if I use any ford authorized aftermarket parts and have them installed by my dealer, then they have to honor my warranty. I'm thinking of getting the ford racing programmer and having them tweak it some. Is it worth the money? Can I really get a noticeable difference out of it with keeping everything else stock? My only other plans are to do an axle back exhaust. Any recommendations? Oh, actually my first investment will be a Valentine 1. Aparently our local barney five has a thing for "ticket me red" mustangs... Got me at 21 over the posted speed...
First of all congrats on the ticket...LOL

I don't know much about the noise, I haven't heard it yet coming from mine. But usually avoid the recommend save me gas by going from 1st to 4th gear unless I'm just cruising. I'm one to take off from the stop so...There are plenty of posts out there on this do a search. Some have changed out the transmission fluid, new shifter, etc. and the noise has gone away or gotten better.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlysems View Post
Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
I've heard complaints about the transmission being noisy and mine seems to be louder in 1,2, and 4th. 3rd on up is quiet as can be. Any chance it can have something to do with that stupid 1st to 4th shift thing?
No ... it's a factory defect. Take in in for service.

Quote:
I hate that! Can it be shut off without a programmer?
Yes, it can be turned off with a custom tune. There are many places that offer tunes for these cars.

Quote:
I've been told that if I use any aftermarket programmer it automatically voids my warranty.
True, but only your engine warranty. That doesn't mean they won't hassle you if you have other problems, but legally they would have to prove that your mods caused the failure.

Quote:
BUT, if I use any ford authorized aftermarket parts and have them installed by my dealer, then they have to honor my warranty. I'm thinking of getting the ford racing programmer and having them tweak it some. Is it worth the money? Can I really get a noticeable difference out of it with keeping everything else stock?
No, it's a waste of money. They would probably still use it to hassle you if you had problems anyways.

Quote:
My only other plans are to do an axle back exhaust. Any recommendations?
The Roush axleback is very popular and can be had for under $400. Here are some clips of mine right after I installed it (yes, with 30 day tags still on the car).

Quote:
Oh, actually my first investment will be a Valentine 1. Aparently our local barney five has a thing for "ticket me red" mustangs... Got me at 21 over the posted speed...
Yikes! Sounds like the V1 would have been a good investment earlier
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Flowmaster 40's for the exhaust, they sound best to me.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

DAMMIT!!! I got a ticket a few days ago.... on the Autobahn of all places...... in the wifes X3...lol
Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Excuse my ignorance but I thought u could go as fast as u want there? I would guess there is a minimum speed but didn't think there was a limit.
Dbsaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbsaints
Excuse my ignorance but I thought u could go as fast as u want there? I would guess there is a minimum speed but didn't think there was a limit.
Only on certain parts of the autobahn.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbsaints View Post
Some parts have a dynamic speed limit. They have (electronic) signs that can be adjusted to suit traffic needs. I know that sounds crazy, but just think that there might might be somewhere in the world where the emphasis is on traffic safety, not ticket revenue and making soccer moms "feel safe."
Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Built up areas (cities and towns) and curvey sections of autobahn have limits... 80-130 Km/ph depending on where you are.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT