Off-road x-pipe install notes and video - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Off-road x-pipe install notes and video

I just installed my UPR off-road x-pipe and have a few notes/observations for anyone who will be tackling this soon. Much of this may be covered in instructions that may come with other brands, but I had no instructions and some of this was a bit tricky to figure out. I also did the entire install on jackstands and would highly recommend anyone planning to do this themselves gain access to a lift.

There are two nuts that must be removed on each side that secure the stock cats/h-pipe to the stock headers. We were able to break all these free using hand-tools but penetrating lubricant was needed. We used ZEP, but anything should get the job done. Don't bother trying to break them free without doing so first. The driver's side was very easy to break loose, all that was needed was a 15mm socket and a slightly beefy 3/8" ratchet. The passenger side had one bolt that was relatively easy, but the one on the top/closest to the engine was a bit more difficult. We removed the plastic cover from the wheel well to get some better visibility, but you could do this without removing it. We were only able to get to this using two extensions and a swivel and it was a total ***** to transmit enough torque through all those joints.

The factory h-pipe is connected to the stock over-axle pipes using two slip joints that are secured with four bolts. These were very easy to break loose using a 1/2" ratchet and 15mm socket without any lubricant. I also recommend having a small flat-head screwdriver available. There is a catch on the slip joint that needs to be lifted to clear a stud on the stock h-pipe for removal when sliding off. Before removal, be sure to disconnect the rear O2 sensors using a 15mm wrench (I just let these hang free during the rest of the install).

I tried attaching the new x-pipe in a variety of ways, but the only way that worked for me was to loosely assemble the entire thing and thread the nuts/bolts at the headers just enough to hold everything in place before connecting the slip joints from the over-axle pipes. Once I had everything loosely fit I started working from front-to rear tightening everything up and didn't run into any problems.

Notes:
-my specific brand of x-pipe did not come with nuts/bolts or gaskets
-the bolts will need to be less than 1/2" in diameter and about 1-1/2" long
-no parts stores seem to carry the gaskets that fit between the headers and x/h-pipe, if you plan on replacing these you should allow time to get them from Ford

And here's the video ... there's a bit of smoke from the cold and the sta-bil in the fuel system that's been sitting for a bit.

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Off-road x-pipe install notes and video

Very Nice and good job!! Wonder if I already have a catback (3'' Borla) with X-pipe how well would a O/R X-Pipe bolt up to my set-up?? Kinda stuck on any more Exhaust work for now.Want long tubes,but my surrent exhaust is so sweet.Love how it sounds now. Like to do away with my cats one day.You turned off the rear 02's yet? UPR have a good price on o/r X-pipe? You are making nice progress my man.Keep us posted and how you like it. You bought any oil yet for the tranny fluid swap ??
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Very Nice and good job!! Wonder if I already have a catback (3'' Borla) with X-pipe how well would a O/R X-Pipe bolt up to my set-up??
Should work just fine if the catback bolted up to the stock mid-pipe without issue.

Quote:
Kinda stuck on any more Exhaust work for now.Want long tubes,but my surrent exhaust is so sweet.Love how it sounds now. Like to do away with my cats one day.
I had the same concern. I LOVED the way the Roush axlebacks sounded and I was very concerned about changing it, but this sounds ****ING sweet. I love the deep aggressive muscle car tone. This is what a muscle car should sound like, you will like it. Trust me on this one!

Quote:
You turned off the rear 02's yet?
I'm not sure if they were disabled, but I had Bama adjust the tune for the off-road x-pipe. I would assume there is no way to make them read properly without cats, but I'm not an expert on these things.

Quote:
UPR have a good price on o/r X-pipe?
Got mine for $222 with the Black Friday 15% discount. I think it's $250 regularly and they have $10 flat-rate shipping. If you're on MustangForums there is a 10% discount code they have available.

Quote:
You are making nice progress my man.Keep us posted and how you like it. You bought any oil yet for the tranny fluid swap ??
Thanks! I'm loving the progress. I'm waiting for payday, then I'm going to sign up for the Amsoil preferred customer program and order engine oil, filer and MTG for the trans.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have No stock Mid-pipe.Mine is Borla right from the cats. X-pipe then over axle to muffler.Sounds so amazing now! Loud when gettin in the throttle but I love it.Hard to sit at a light and not play with revs.And pulling off I love to here it.Feel like torching the tires now just talking about it. Oh.....Off topic,but the Hankooks 285 in the back has stopped all the wheel hop. Putting on LCA's 2moro if I get in from work early enough. Gets dark to quick right now and that sucks. You making some nice progress man.Keep up the good work and pics
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm I'm not sure then. All the x/h-pipe kits I have seen go back to the slip joint. I don't know how that would work with a catback system. Perhaps someone with some more exhaust expertise can chime in on this one...

I'm stoked to install my LCAs as well. My dad got them for me as a Christmas present. I had sent him a list of parts that I wanted and I was at his house for turkey day when I ordered my UPR off-road X, as I was rambling and furiously typing in my credit card info he was like "hey, isn't there some other stuff you wanted from them. Is it on sale too?" We opened them up just to make sure they were OK and I think he was impressed with how awesome they are. The company he works for does a lot of machine work for the products they build and he seemed to really appreciate the billet LCAs. I don't know who is more excited to install them, him or me. LOL!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Hmmm I'm not sure then. All the x/h-pipe kits I have seen go back to the slip joint. I don't know how that would work with a catback system. Perhaps someone with some more exhaust expertise can chime in on this one...

I'm stoked to install my LCAs as well. My dad got them for me as a Christmas present. I had sent him a list of parts that I wanted and I was at his house for turkey day when I ordered my UPR off-road X, as I was rambling and furiously typing in my credit card info he was like "hey, isn't there some other stuff you wanted from them. Is it on sale too?" We opened them up just to make sure they were OK and I think he was impressed with how awesome they are. The company he works for does a lot of machine work for the products they build and he seemed to really appreciate the billet LCAs. I don't know who is more excited to install them, him or me. LOL!
Cool story.... Let me know how the lca install goes.I may be doing mine 2moro. As for exhaust.I am happy with how it is now and in no hurry.The only thing really worth changing, with what I got, is some long tubes. For now it's on back burner. We will eventually see a thread on this exact thing and I learn info from somebody's exp.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Nice install, write up and the Pony sounds very sweet!!! A mean sweet!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
Cool story.... Let me know how the lca install goes.I may be doing mine 2moro. As for exhaust.I am happy with how it is now and in no hurry.The only thing really worth changing, with what I got, is some long tubes. For now it's on back burner. We will eventually see a thread on this exact thing and I learn info from somebody's exp.
If u have a x pipe with stock cats then it is a shorty setup which clamps at the very front of the x pipe (toward the engine ) the o/r x pipe just extends further forward to the stock headers and instead of having cats it's straight pipe to delete the cats.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

More videos:

Old 12-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Sweet!
Thanks! I'm hoping to get it up on a lift soon, before the snow comes and I can't get it to a lift anymore, and get some pics of it installed. There was NO WAY to get any pics on jackstands lol!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Thanks! I'm hoping to get it up on a lift soon, before the snow comes and I can't get it to a lift anymore, and get some pics of it installed. There was NO WAY to get any pics on jackstands lol!
Lol! Yeah it would be a pain in the a**.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Bump

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT