Oil changes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Oil changes

I use my 5.0 as my everyday car and was wondering how often should I change the oil? It's about to hit 3000 miles and says that it has 74% oil life left.
GCR5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Oil changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCR5.0 View Post
I use my 5.0 as my everyday car and was wondering how often should I change the oil? It's about to hit 3000 miles and says that it has 74% oil life left.
the best way is to get it analyzed. However, what Ford suggests is pretty accurate just make sure you check it about every other fill up.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Check your oil every few days for the first 8000 to 10,000 on the motor. Also keep in mind that these cars need to be on pretty much absolute level ground when checking the stick. Alot could be said here about this but just watch it. Do some reading about these 2011-2012 GT Coyote motors. Threads about oil will get you started. I would personally use Mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic and change it every 3000 to 5000.The way I drive at times and love to take good care of my cars......every 3000 for me.That indicator in your dash is worthless in my opinion.Hope this helps.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCR5.0
I use royal purple 5w-30 in my car and plan on changing every 5k with a good full synthetic IMO every 5k
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Do you plan on using regular motor oil or a full true synthetic? The age of the 3,000 mile oil changes went away back in the 20th century. Back in the Ronald Regan and first President George Bush era. If your car is fairly modern then save your money for beer and more beer. No need to change your oil at 3,000 miles unless you want to because its what your dad did back in the 1970's and you feel better about it but its waist of time, money and no added protection for modern automobiles.

You can easily go 5k with Wal Mart regular 5W30 super tech oil. No need to use synthetic unless you plan on going extended interval oil changes. What I mean by that is unless your going 10k plus then don't waist your money on Amsoil, Royal Purple or Mobil One EP. I personally would never go 15K but 10k is fine if you choose to use a true base 4 or 5 synthetic oil. The oil life is not really my issue on the 15 k change but its the life of the filter. Even the best filter 15k is a lot and no go for me. Personally I use Mobil 1 full synthetic or Pennzoil platinum fully synthetic 5w30 and a Purolator One filter. I think purolator is the best filter . I change my oil at 7,500 miles.
Don't waist your money on Royal Purple to just change your oil at 3 or 5 k. Just my 2 cents
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Do you plan on using regular motor oil or a full true synthetic? The age of the 3,000 mile oil changes went away back in the 20th century. Back in the Ronald Regan and first President George Bush era. If your car is fairly modern then save your money for beer and more beer. No need to change your oil at 3,000 miles unless you want to because its what your dad did back in the 1970's and you feel better about it but its waist of time, money and no added protection for modern automobiles.

You can easily go 5k with Wal Mart regular 5W30 super tech oil. No need to use synthetic unless you plan on going extended interval oil changes. What I mean by that is unless your going 10k plus then don't waist your money on Amsoil, Royal Purple or Mobil One EP. I personally would never go 15K but 10k is fine if you choose to use a true base 4 or 5 synthetic oil. The oil life is not really my issue on the 15 k change but its the life of the filter. Even the best filter 15k is a lot and no go for me. Personally I use Mobil 1 full synthetic or Pennzoil platinum fully synthetic 5w30 and a Purolator One filter. I think purolator is the best filter . I change my oil at 7,500 miles.
Don't waist your money on Royal Purple to just change your oil at 3 or 5 k. Just my 2 cents
I was planning on using full synthetic. I've been checking the oil at least once a week because of what I've read about the 5.0's turning up with a dry stick from the dealership. I just wanted to get some ideas because I was planning on changing the oil at about 5000 miles. Thanks for the help guys.
GCR5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Cap says 5w20.... That's what recommended... If u use 5w30, I'm assuming the engine has to work harder the push that oil to the top of the engine, especially on cold starts... I've done oil changes for a living for years... And I only put thicker oil in the car, if it burned oil or had engine problems
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Cap says 5w20.... That's what recommended... If u use 5w30, I'm assuming the engine has to work harder the push that oil to the top of the engine, especially on cold starts... I've done oil changes for a living for years... And I only put thicker oil in the car, if it burned oil or had engine problems
^ +1 Use 5w-20.........Going with different blends is just up to you but I would stick with 5w-20 no matter
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
^ +1 Use 5w-20.........Going with different blends is just up to you but I would stick with 5w-20 no matter
Yeah, you can you 5w20, all good. I feel better using a 5w30. I know ford recommends 5w20 however from doing some research and trying to educate myself, it appears that 5W20 is only recommended here in the US because Ford wants to comply with the CAFE regulations set by the government in order to achieve a certain fuel mpg not necessary what's best for the engine for the long long haul.

In Europe Ford does not recommend the same vehicles as sold here in US to use 5w20. In fact all the Fords in Europe use 5w30 and can't get 5w20. 5w30 is mandatory in Europe for warranty issues on the Fords. So if my same exact mustang was shipped to Europe right now Ford recommends 5w30 but if it stays here in the US it now gets 5w20. Not, im sticking with 5w30 for a little better engine lubrication.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote:

I was planning on using full synthetic. I've been checking the oil at least once a week because of what I've read about the 5.0's turning up with a dry stick from the dealership. I just wanted to get some ideas because I was planning on changing the oil at about 5000 miles. Thanks for the help guys.
For ever 5 k oil change, Wal mart super tech oil will do you awesome. Save your dollars for the the gentlemens club. Lol. Just kidding ladies.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Just wondering why not to use Royal Purple when you to are using a full synthetic??....
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Just wondering why not to use Royal Purple when you to are using a full synthetic??....
Full true base 4 or 5 synthetic oil are awesome if your going to change your oil more than 10k plus but if someone is just changing oil every 3 to 5k then the synthetic is just a waste of money. I go every 7,500 mile change and use Mobil 1 but this is like a base 3. Not a full 100 % synthetic.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Full true base 4 or 5 synthetic oil are awesome if your going to change your oil more than 10k plus but if someone is just changing oil every 3 to 5k then the synthetic is just a waste of money. I go every 7,500 mile change and use Mobil 1 but this is like a base 3. Not a full 100 % synthetic.
Just so I get this straight!... Basically what your saying is don't go with a full synthetic if your going to change your oil every 3-5000 miles!... Right?...
Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just so I get this straight!... Basically what your saying is don't go with a full synthetic if your going to change your oil every 3-5000 miles!... Right?...
Yes sir. Now of course that's just my opinion. In the modern automobile the 3000 mile oil change has gone away with the dinosaurs. Unless your mustang is from the 1980's. No benefit for a full synthetic oil to change at 3 to 5k
Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo

I use royal purple 5w-30 in my car and plan on changing every 5k with a good full synthetic IMO every 5k
+1
Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes sir. Now of course that's just my opinion. In the modern automobile the 3000 mile oil change has gone away with the dinosaurs. Unless your mustang is from the 1980's. No benefit for a full synthetic oil to change at 3 to 5k
I've always changed my oil about every 6,000 miles!.. Lol. And my brand of choice is Royal Purple!.. And I do that with all my cars!... Lol. But I've got my own little reasons for it and that's just me!.. Lol
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

+1
Royal Purple is awesome stuff and if not the best out there. But for 3 to 5k oil change intervals, regular petroleum oil will work just fine. 10k plus that's where you see the benefit of Royal Purple.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This all depends how you drive your car too. Honestly just keep a good eyeon the dipstick. Look at the oil on it and you know when its due. If you rub it between your fingers you can feel when its done too. I recomend castrol full synthetic over mobil 1. Its a better rated and cheaper. That said I love royal purple products and they're all I use through the rest of the car... I get between 5-7 k km on my oil changes and don't mind if its early. Gets me under the car often enough to do other stuff too. Just be smart with it. If your at 3k miles and the oil on the dipstick is dark its due... oh and there's no replacement for a high quality filter. I've used fram filters and there great... oddly I've never used a royal purple filter. Anyone got an opinion on them?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've always changed my oil about every 6,000 miles!.. Lol. And my brand of choice is Royal Purple!.. And I do that with all my cars!... Lol. But I've got my own little reasons for it and that's just me!.. Lol
Nothing wrong with that boss. If you don't mind spending the cash, then you can't go wrong. One certainly isn't going to hurt the engine by changing the oil too much.

I think its what makes people feel comfortable. My mother changes her oil and filter every 5k using regular petroleum oil. Her car has 180,000 miles and runs like its brand new.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Don't know anything about RP filters. I use Purolator One or Napa Gold. Both awesome filters .

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote:
This all depends how you drive your car too. Honestly just keep a good eyeon the dipstick. Look at the oil on it and you know when its due. If you rub it between your fingers you can feel when its done too. I recomend castrol full synthetic over mobil 1. Its a better rated and cheaper. That said I love royal purple products and they're all I use through the rest of the car... I get between 5-7 k km on my oil changes and don't mind if its early. Gets me under the car often enough to do other stuff too. Just be smart with it. If your at 3k miles and the oil on the dipstick is dark its due... oh and there's no replacement for a high quality filter. I've used fram filters and there great... oddly I've never used a royal purple filter. Anyone got an opinion on them?
Sir, are you saying you only get 5 to 7k miles out of Royal Purple oil or the Castrol oil? I don't know about other consumers but I would be a unhappy pissed off camper if I spent the money that Royal Purple is charging and I only got 3 to 5k miles then time to be changed. I would certainly hope that after 3k the oil wouldn't be dark and time to be changed.

Heck one can safely go 5k using Wal Mart Super Tech Petroleum oil before oil change. Lol.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The reasons why I use Royal Purple and change my oil as I do is simple!... 1. It gives me an excuse to buy stuff for the car and to work on it. Big smile there as I love working on my car!!... 2. Years ago I had to do some work on my '96 Monte-Carlo Z34... Since I was in there I decided to check everything out!.. My cam lobs, among other internals, had next to no scaring on them!!... This was 5yrs ago and that car had over 150,000 mile on it!... When I bought it back in '98 it had under 15,000 miles!... I used nothing but Royal Purple in that car and I changed my oil about every 5,000 or so miles!... When I got rid of it last year it had over 180,000 miles on it and still ran like a top!.. And that is after a hole got punched threw one of the heads!... Lol. But that's a different story!.. Lol

As for oil filters!... Personally I like K&N the best!.. They have worked out great for me!.. Plus I like the nut at the end of the filter!.. Makes it easier for me to get it on and off my cars with!.. But like I said before these are just my personally preffrences!...
Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The reasons why I use Royal Purple and change my oil as I do is simple!... 1. It gives me an excuse to buy stuff for the car and to work on it. Big smile there as I love working on my car!!... 2. Years ago I had to do some work on my '96 Monte-Carlo Z34... Since I was in there I decided to check everything out!.. My cam lobs, among other internals, had next to no scaring on them!!... This was 5yrs ago and that car had over 150,000 mile on it!... When I bought it back in '98 it had under 15,000 miles!... I used nothing but Royal Purple in that car and I changed my oil about every 5,000 or so miles!... When I got rid of it last year it had over 180,000 miles on it and still ran like a top!.. And that is after a hole got punched threw one of the heads!... Lol. But that's a different story!.. Lol

As for oil filters!... Personally I like K&N the best!.. They have worked out great for me!.. Plus I like the nut at the end of the filter!.. Makes it easier for me to get it on and off my cars with!.. But like I said before these are just my personally preffrences!...
That's cool bro. One can't go wrong by changing the oil to much. Never heard of destroying a engine for changing the oil to often. Lol. I bet with you using Royal Purple you could of gone 10k plus and still had the same engine results as you did with the 5 to 6k intervals. But either way its all good.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's cool bro. One can't go wrong by changing the oil to much. Never heard of destroying a engine for changing the oil to often. Lol. I bet with you using Royal Purple you could of gone 10k plus and still had the same engine results as you did with the 5 to 6k intervals. But either way its all good.
Ya but like I said my number one reason being.... Gives me an excuse to buy things for the car and to work on it!... Hahahahaha
Old 12-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1
Only the best goes in my baby!!

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote:

ROYAL PURPLE! Just do it! (best stuff on the market)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Only the best goes in my baby!!

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

ROYAL PURPLE! Just do it! (best stuff on the market)
Royal Purple is awesome oil
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I use Royal Purple for my oil, transmission, and gear lube!.. And I've been very pleased with it!..
Old 12-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I use Royal Purple for my oil, transmission, and gear lube!.. And I've been very pleased with it!..
Royal Purple is an awesome product. But at 6 k oil change interval not worth the money. If one is going to pay that money for that great oil stretch it out to 10 k. Or don't bother because any petroleum oil will do just fine at 5 k for half the price
Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Royal Purple is awesome oil
My bro is in the military and told me they use it for the hum-v's and they put those vehicles through HELL! And the fact that its widely used for race and drag applications speaks for it self
Old 12-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My bro is in the military and told me they use it for the hum-v's and they put those vehicles through HELL! And the fact that its widely used for race and drag applications speaks for it self
If your driving your stang as hard as the military is driving their hum-v's then you definitely need royal purple.lol. Im not putting my pony through hell and riding her that hard. Lol. Im not racing it or drag applications. Lol
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If your driving your stang as hard as the military is driving their hum-v's then you definitely need royal purple.lol. Im not putting my pony through hell and riding her that hard. Lol. Im not racing it or drag applications. Lol
If you ain't driving it like you stole it then you ain't driving!!!..... Lol. Jk
Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Yeah, you can you 5w20, all good. I feel better using a 5w30. I know ford recommends 5w20 however from doing some research and trying to educate myself, it appears that 5W20 is only recommended here in the US because Ford wants to comply with the CAFE regulations set by the government in order to achieve a certain fuel mpg not necessary what's best for the engine for the long long haul.

In Europe Ford does not recommend the same vehicles as sold here in US to use 5w20. In fact all the Fords in Europe use 5w30 and can't get 5w20. 5w30 is mandatory in Europe for warranty issues on the Fords. So if my same exact mustang was shipped to Europe right now Ford recommends 5w30 but if it stays here in the US it now gets 5w20. Not, im sticking with 5w30 for a little better engine lubrication.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

For ever 5 k oil change, Wal mart super tech oil will do you awesome. Save your dollars for the the gentlemens club. Lol. Just kidding ladies.
everyones talking about kinds of oil, no one is going to address this??? really, they use 5w30 in europe. so maybe that should be used here too
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema

everyones talking about kinds of oil, no one is going to address this??? really, they use 5w30 in europe. so maybe that should be used here too
If they recommend 5w20 then use that or use 5w30!.. Don't ever go below what they recommend and never more than one step above!...
Old 12-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Oil, Oil, Oil...Because modern methods of refinement & manufacturing petroleum based products has improved ten-fold in the US over the last 25 years, motor oil is no longer the weak link when it comes to the frequency of oil changes. Modern oils, whether conventional, synthetic or somewhere in between, don't break down the way they did 25 years ago. So, yes, theoretically you can push oils much further now than ever before. Typically, most conventional oils stay clean for 5-7K miles & most synthetic oils stay clean for 10-12K miles.

HOWEVER...I've noticed that nobody has commented on the remaining weak link that has changed VERY LITTLE over this same time period. OIL FILTERS still use the same basic paper element construction they have for years, and personally, I would NEVER push an oil filter for 10K-12K miles, whether using synthetic or otherwise. Once the filter starts breaking down, you end up with a whole mess of junk in your oil, regardless of the condition of the oil itself.

That being said, I used Mobil1 5/20 & change it every 5K miles usually; however, as a regular track participant, I drive a hell of a lot harder than most people.
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ok but the question I guess I have is- is 5w30 better for ur engine?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you ain't driving it like you stole it then you ain't driving!!!..... Lol. Jk
Amen. Well spoken. Lol

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Oil, Oil, Oil...Because modern methods of refinement & manufacturing petroleum based products has improved ten-fold in the US over the last 25 years, motor oil is no longer the weak link when it comes to the frequency of oil changes. Modern oils, whether conventional, synthetic or somewhere in between, don't break down the way they did 25 years ago. So, yes, theoretically you can push oils much further now than ever before. Typically, most conventional oils stay clean for 5-7K miles & most synthetic oils stay clean for 10-12K miles.

HOWEVER...I've noticed that nobody has commented on the remaining weak link that has changed VERY LITTLE over this same time period. OIL FILTERS still use the same basic paper element construction they have for years, and personally, I would NEVER push an oil filter for 10K-12K miles, whether using synthetic or otherwise. Once the filter starts breaking down, you end up with a whole mess of junk in your oil, regardless of the condition of the oil itself.

That being said, I used Mobil1 5/20 & change it every 5K miles usually; however, as a regular track participant, I drive a hell of a lot harder than most people.
I totally agree about the filter. I think 10 k to 12 k on a filter is too long. That's why I change out at 7,500 miles. I guess one could leave the oil in and just change the filter every 5 k and change the oil a 10 k

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Ok but the question I guess I have is- is 5w30 better for ur engine?
From my understanding and research on this topic I believe the 5 w 30 oil weight is the way to go and will do a better job of lubricating the engine than 5w20 will.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Amen. Well spoken. Lol

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

I totally agree about the filter. I think 10 k to 12 k on a filter is too long. That's why I change out at 7,500 miles. I guess one could leave the oil in and just change the filter every 5 k and change the oil a 10 k

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

From my understanding and research on this topic I believe the 5 w 30 oil weight is the way to go and will do a better job of lubricating the engine than 5w20 will.
Thanks I gota read more about this
Old 12-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks I gota read more about this
I'm not saying that 5 w 20 oil is evil and will blow up your engine. Certainly not. And perhaps if you live in a very cold climate such as Alaska or Fargo ND 5 w 20 would be great for you. If you live in an area where you have all 4 seasons or hotter weather like Florida then 5w30 is the way to go for better engine wear and lubrication.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT