Rear wheel hop problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Rear wheel hop problem

Nobody able to solve the dreaded rear wheel hop we get on our cars?
2011 mustang gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 mustang gt
Nobody able to solve the dreaded rear wheel hop we get on our cars?
Peg leg?
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Rear wheel hop problem

Easy!! Aftermarket LCA's!! Hell,even when I took off the OEM tires and put on my Hankooks the hop got better.With LCA's you get better grip which means better launch.Otherwise you are stuck with it
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

As stated, aftermarket lower control arms should do the trick. I had those, the upper control arm, and the upper 3rd link mount all replaced at the same time so I'm not sure how effective the LCA-swap would have been on its own.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Any suggestions for brand of lower control arm? Cost? Is it a do it yourself bolt on? Thx!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Some of them are BMR.UPR,and Spohn to name just a few of the very best.Yes you can do it yourself.Will take you at least 2 hours but might take 4 or 5.You will need Jack stands for sure,TQ wrench and Etc.
As for the type.....There are several.If you do not plan on racing at the drag strip and/or not very high RPM launches then you may want to go with the polyeruthene (sp) bushing ends.If you do race and launch strong you will split the bushing.Bushings are not much at all money wise but still pain in the *** to be replacing and that will get old.They make some with sepherical ends which are alot stronger.They also make some that are just solid-ends teflon lined and nothing to break.These are great for racing and playing.No matter which ones you go with it will change your ride quality.You will feel and of course noise transfers easier.The Factory ones have soft cushion like bushings.Makes car all smooth,quiet,but leaves you with wheel hop.Your Best bet is to google BMR and go on the site and read up on susp. stuff for 2011-12 GT's.They have a LCA section.If you plan on lowering your car in the future you might better get the adjustable LCA's but personally I would stay away from the Poly type.The ones I just bought from them you probably would not want unless you are gonna race like I said.Also they are a bit more pricey.They are BMR # is TCA-020.There sittin in front of me waiting on install.Overall alot of guys go with the poly type bushing ends and can be had for as little as 100.00. Just a decision you will have to make.There are many threads on here to help ya understand it all. Hope this helped ya a little
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 12-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Nice write-up!! I'm considering LCA's and this was great information. Thank you!
MedxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Wow! Thank you...my shop iS installing 35125.880 Eibach sway bar and spring kit Monday. I will then get cracking on research for the LCA. Thank you for the info and advice. My car is an '11 GT 6 speed, stock Vortech an
D nothing more. My goal is to keep it very stock looking with a ju
St a bit more power and handling...
Old 12-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Even with the wheel and tire swap the wheel hop got 75% better.... when I put on the LCA's... should be golden
Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0 View Post
Even with the wheel and tire swap the wheel hop got 75% better.... when I put on the LCA's... should be golden
+1 Agreed and mine are not on yet.Tires sure helped half the problem.LCA's will solve the other half.I got a buddy who has a 4-point nice lift in his garage.Gonna just wait and do it there.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 mustang gt View Post
Wow! Thank you...my shop iS installing 35125.880 Eibach sway bar and spring kit Monday. I will then get cracking on research for the LCA. Thank you for the info and advice. My car is an '11 GT 6 speed, stock Vortech an
D nothing more. My goal is to keep it very stock looking with a ju
St a bit more power and handling...
Damn Dude....You got a Vortech!! How much HP you making? Ohh yeah! For sure get the good LCA's and have fun dropping clowns off with your beast! LOL!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Not trying to poke anyone in the eye... but I was always taught to build a car from the ground up... you know... Brakes, Wheels and tires, suspension, fuel and oil, engine internals... THEN super/ Pro Charger. If you are still dealing with wheel hop with a pro charger... I would say you might be a little behind the power curve as far supporting performance parts go. I may be wrong... I have been ONCE before...lol
Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0
Not trying to poke anyone in the eye... but I was always taught to build a car from the ground up... you know... Brakes, Wheels and tires, suspension, fuel and oil, engine internals... THEN super/ Pro Charger. If you are still dealing with wheel hop with a pro charger... I would say you might be a little behind the power curve as far supporting performance parts go. I may be wrong... I have been ONCE before...lol
I agree with u. U always want to upgrade ur wheels suspension etc so the power can be supported on the ground as well
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

I have links to parts here from BBR/BMR/UPR

LCA Relocation Brackets
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If you want an easy solution to wheel hop put an airbag inside the right rear spring and put about 60 lbs of air in it and you will have zero wheel hop. I mean LCAs work also but drag racers have been doing the airbag trick for many many years and it works.
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182
If you want an easy solution to wheel hop put an airbag inside the right rear spring and put about 60 lbs of air in it and you will have zero wheel hop. I mean LCAs work also but drag racers have been doing the airbag trick for many many years and it works.
Where do I get an airbag?
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Very curious of the airbag trick please explain thank you
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Ordered mine today Ford Racing Mustang Rear Lower Control Arms (05-12 All) M-5538-A - Free Shipping! they will go with my FRHP (Ford Racing Mustang Handling Pack - Coupe (05-12 GT) M-FR3-MGTA - Free Shipping!) that is sitting in the garage at the moment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT