Tunes that won't void warranty? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tunes that won't void warranty?

Hi guys, I wondered if anyone has suggestions for a good tune for a 2012 GT that won't screw my warranty? Of course the factory tunes are milder than bama and all the good stuff. But I was thinking about possibly buying a roush CAI since they are "no tune required", and then getting the ford procal. I just thought having the roush on there would do better than the regular K&N filter that comes with the procal. I don't think I've seen a ford racing cai for the '11 & '12 GTs yet. All I've done to it so far is put pypes axlebacks on it. But if anyone has any other (warranty friendly) suggestions, it'd be much appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Re: Tunes that won't void warranty?

You are in the right direction. Pretty much only tune that isn't gonna void the warranty is the Ford installed one.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Ford does not offer a cold air. Just a K&N filter. A lot of people have decided not to buy cold airs for the 2011+ as they have shown no gains at the track. Instead they are just doing the filter. I know some guys running low 11's and even 10's that have taken their cold airs off and not lost any time going back to stock intake.

I have also seen a few people say they did a base dyno then loaded a Ford tune and lost power also.
Ford Racing Performance Parts
With that invest in other stuff like shifter, suspension etc. I wouldn't waste the money on a ford tune honestly. worried about warranty save up for this.

Ford Racing Performance Parts
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah as far as good tuning goes the ford pro cal will only keep everything safe. Its really just a vessel for ford racing blower kit flashes. I would do other upgrades untill your out of warranty or are ready to say to hell with it. I have seen guys who got another computer, inatalled and tuned it and there keeping the original in case they blow up, then swap it back...
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Yeah as far as good tuning goes the ford pro cal will only keep everything safe. Its really just a vessel for ford racing blower kit flashes. I would do other upgrades untill your out of warranty or are ready to say to hell with it. I have seen guys who got another computer, inatalled and tuned it and there keeping the original in case they blow up, then swap it back...
You have seen this with the 2011 5.0+?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
You have seen this with the 2011 5.0+?
+1
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
That is very smart !!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah... there is a guy in town who ordered a whipple blower through an svt dealer and it comes with a pro cal tuner preloaded with a ford tune for the blower and supporting mods. I was told that was the biggest reason they developed it... Now they write really conservative tunes to steal some of the tuner market with the promise of retained warranty... they make very little difference to power but do cut some throttle lag... get aa bama tune...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
That is very smart !!
Except it is like impossible for the 11+. The keys are married to the computer. SO you woudl have to have a whole set of different keys that are all the same but different programmed. Would get very very expensive very fast. Then Ford would also see that the key strokes, and everything don't match other stuff in the car and its program etc. Ford/GM/Dodge has got a lot smarter then this nowadays.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
hmm very interesting... Do you know where and how one would go about getting a different computer and key? I remember when I was talking to the warranty/financing guy at the dealer, he said that one of main things he has seen warrantied was the computer. But I dont think Ive read anything about computer problems...maybe an inexperienced tuner? Im still not to good with all this technology stuff...
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

The only tune I know of that won't void the warranty is the one that adjusts your speedometer for your gear ratio if you get new gears. Or if you get the tune from Ford.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBeyond
hmm very interesting... Do you know where and how one would go about getting a different computer and key? I remember when I was talking to the warranty/financing guy at the dealer, he said that one of main things he has seen warrantied was the computer. But I dont think Ive read anything about computer problems...maybe an inexperienced tuner? Im still not to good with all this technology stuff...
Only place I know of is out of.a.wrecked one... honestly... if your worried about warranty, don't mod.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Only place I know of is out of.a.wrecked one... honestly... if your worried about warranty, don't mod.
+10
Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

+10
Damn I guess I shouldn't have gotten the warranty extension... Wonder of I can cancel it now :T
Daveeemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Except it is like impossible for the 11+. The keys are married to the computer. SO you woudl have to have a whole set of different keys that are all the same but different programmed. Would get very very expensive very fast. Then Ford would also see that the key strokes, and everything don't match other stuff in the car and its program etc. Ford/GM/Dodge has got a lot smarter then this nowadays.
Oh well that's out the window!lol thanks for the heads up!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT