No Recall for MT-82 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
No Recall for MT-82

The NHTSA has closed their investigation of the MT-82 and is not issuing a recall. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that some companies may have a lot to gain by putting together a good trans swap kit.

NHTSA grenades Mustang transmission investigation

To skip the Jalopnik commentary and go straight to the wall-of-text NHTSA statement:

Complaints - Search Results | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: No Recall for MT-82

Well that's a kick in the balls.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

That totally sucks...So will they make the TSB changes on their own when you take the Pony in or will the problem have to happen before they do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #4

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
The NHTSA has closed their investigation of the MT-82 and is not issuing a recall. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that some companies may have a lot to gain by putting together a good trans swap kit.

NHTSA grenades Mustang transmission investigation

To skip the Jalopnik commentary and go straight to the wall-of-text NHTSA statement:

Complaints - Search Results | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
I do not have a problem with it.
RaceRed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
That totally sucks...So will they make the TSB changes on their own when you take the Pony in or will the problem have to happen before they do?
With a TSB, the dealer does not HAVE to do anything. It's simply a set of instructions for techs to address a certain issue, if it is occurring on a specific car. A recall differs in that it's mandated by the NHTSA for the manufacturer to fix the issue, usually due to serious safety concerns. Apparently, not being able to put the car in gear while merging on the highway is not a serious safety concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed12 View Post
I do not have a problem with it.
With the MT82 or with the fact that the NHTSA didn't issue a recall?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
With a TSB, the dealer does not HAVE to do anything. It's simply a set of instructions for techs to address a certain issue, if it is occurring on a specific car. A recall differs in that it's mandated by the NHTSA for the manufacturer to fix the issue, usually due to serious safety concerns. Apparently, not being able to put the car in gear while merging on the highway is not a serious safety concern.
That is what I thought, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

So far with mine I can only complain of notchy feeling when cold.(2012 car made 2-11-11)Made many 6800-6900 rpm shifts and never had unusual clutch problem.Shifts are not always perfect on location,but feel MGW is gonna solve that alot.Still have not ordered that yet.Have noticed that on highway when shifting from 5th to 6th if not conscience of it you can easly end up going 5th to 3rd.Nothing concerning though.The notchy feeling is of big concern.When it gets cold it gets crunchy and winter has not hit here good yet.Still on the fence as to use Amsoil or Redline.only got 4900 miles on the car.I am sure in the future this MT-82 will be my weak link.For sure do a good clutch in future.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
So far with mine I can only complain of notchy feeling when cold.(2012 car made 2-11-11)Made many 6800-6900 rpm shifts and never had unusual clutch problem.Shifts are not always perfect on location,but feel MGW is gonna solve that alot.Still have not ordered that yet.Have noticed that on highway when shifting from 5th to 6th if not conscience of it you can easly end up going 5th to 3rd.Nothing concerning though.The notchy feeling is of big concern.When it gets cold it gets crunchy and winter has not hit here good yet.Still on the fence as to use Amsoil or Redline.only got 4900 miles on the car.I am sure in the future this MT-82 will be my weak link.For sure do a good clutch in future.
Same thing with mine (2012 GT)...notchy and crunchy when cold. It usually goes away as I keep driving. As far as the NTSB, I'm curious as to what they would need for a recall.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
Same thing with mine (2012 GT)...notchy and crunchy when cold. It usually goes away as I keep driving. As far as the NTSB, I'm curious as to what they would need for a recall.
With the current level of corruption in our government by mega corporations ... probably multiple deaths that were blatantly preventable.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Road Trip!

one word...AUTO!

In the next few yrs one of two things will happen. Either I will find a 5.0 in a junk yard and get everything i need to convert to an auto or I will return to stock and trade for an auto.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
one word...AUTO!

In the next few yrs one of two things will happen. Either I will find a 5.0 in a junk yard and get everything i need to convert to an auto or I will return to stock and trade for an auto.
I honestly enjoy driving a manual though. I know the autos are a bit faster in the quarter mile (and for the first time in automotive history a bit more reliable), but for me it's about the driving experience, not pushing my car to the ragged edge. If I wanted to build a drag car it would have been a base gt with an auto for sure.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #12

Region: Iowa

Nothing but Big Business and Big Government scratching each others butt..............pretty sad.........best regards Plum
plumbago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbago View Post
Nothing but Big Business and Big Government scratching each others butt..............pretty sad.........best regards Plum
Yup ...

I can imagine the conversation went something like this, "Hey, remember those billions we didn't have to borrow from you? Yeah... I'm going to need you to not issue a recall on that. Thanks..."
Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Yup ...

I can imagine the conversation went something like this, "Hey, remember those billions we didn't have to borrow from you? Yeah... I'm going to need you to not issue a recall on that. Thanks..."
HA! Flashbacks of 'Office Space'... Just don't forget to file your TPS reports!

On a serious note, agree that if it goes the 302 is going to expose some issues. Or does the 2012 302 not utilize the same?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
HA! Flashbacks of 'Office Space'... Just don't forget to file your TPS reports!

On a serious note, agree that if it goes the 302 is going to expose some issues. Or does the 2012 302 not utilize the same?
I'm glad someone got the joke!

Not sure what you mean about the 302? The Boss does use the same trans but there haven't been any reports of issues. Something has to be different, just not sure what.

I'm not sure that it's an issue inherent with the design of the MT82, but rather inconsistent build quality or poor QA. Most people have no issues, but the people who do have issues all have the same symptoms.

Since Ford is just blaming the owners, rather than trying to solve the problem, we likely will never know. There was a thread going over on S197 and everyone who replaced their trans fluid with AMSOIL MTG noticed an immediate improvement in the operation of the MT82. AMSOIL also guarantees that this will not cause a failure of the trans and will eat the cost of repair if it is proven to have caused a failure. Not many people stand behind their product like that! I'll be putting MTG in my trans at some point this winter and will report back on the results.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I'm glad someone got the joke!

Not sure what you mean about the 302? The Boss does use the same trans but there haven't been any reports of issues. Something has to be different, just not sure what.

I'm not sure that it's an issue inherent with the design of the MT82, but rather inconsistent build quality or poor QA. Most people have no issues, but the people who do have issues all have the same symptoms.

Since Ford is just blaming the owners, rather than trying to solve the problem, we likely will never know. There was a thread going over on S197 and everyone who replaced their trans fluid with AMSOIL MTG noticed an immediate improvement in the operation of the MT82. AMSOIL also guarantees that this will not cause a failure of the trans and will eat the cost of repair if it is proven to have caused a failure. Not many people stand behind their product like that! I'll be putting MTG in my trans at some point this winter and will report back on the results.
Thanks-I appreciate you passing this along . It just goes to show that replacing a great Tremec transmission with something sourced, from Chi-nee-has produced 'mixed results', at best..

2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
I just got the dealer to swap my clutch fluid to the dual disc clutch fluid and it helped with the notchy shifting and shift fell overall. I would recommend doing this will help out
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT