fluids - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
fluids

Thinkin of replacing all my my fluids (engine oil, trans, rearend) with royal purple. Any thoughts?
bigsmitty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Go for it!.. It's the best out there!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
Go for it!.. It's the best out there!..
++
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: fluids

I'd go with AMSOIL, but at least RP is a true synthetic. I will say that none of the RP products are a great match for the MT82 if you're a manual ... go for AMSOIL (MTG) or Redline (MTL).
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
I'd go with AMSOIL, but at least RP is a true synthetic. I will say that none of the RP products are a great match for the MT82 if you're a manual ... go for AMSOIL (MTG) or Redline (MTL).
Thanks. It is manual. So guess ill look into amsoil.
bigsmitty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
What makes you say RP would not be a good match? I contacted their tech and he recommended synchromesh. It is not compliant with Ford, but I don't think any oil matches the Ford recommendations.
Jeffk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
So here is a comparison that I’m sure nobody has done yet. My car is a 2011, bought brand new in March 2011. Build date is December 2010. This is my 5th Mustang, all manual cars. This car is not my daily driver and as of this post, I have 2000 miles on her.

With all of the 11’s and some of the 12, we started out with Ford Motorcraft QS fluid. In cold weather I would experience the 1-2 lockout or nibble. I also had the gears grind on me twice. Once it warmed up, it was ok, but still notchy.

June 2011, I had 900 miles on the car and switched to Red Line MTL. I immediately noticed a change in every gear. Since it was already summer, I could start out with a bone cold car and shift with one finger. The ease and smoothness with the MTL was awesome. However, it is a lighter oil than the factory fill. This concerned me because summers here are in excess of 100+ everyday. I ran the car throughout the summer and all of fall with no problems. I never experienced any gear whine, lockouts, or notchy shifting.

Since it has been getting colder than crap here, I have been experiencing the 1-2 nibble. I would have to shift from 1-3 until the MTL warmed up.

The past month or so, the new rave is Amsoil MTG. I bought some and switched it out this morning. MTG is the same oil weight as the stock QS fluid. Unlike the stock fluid, MTG is a FULL synthetic oil. I drained the MTL to save just in case I do not like the MTG. Once I drained the MTL, I noticed something I did not like. Metallic coloring/sparkles….. Nothing large, but there was enough in the MTL where I could see the majority of the oil was completely saturated in this microscopic metallic soup. Could this have been from running a thinner oil most of the year?

Filled the car with Amsoil MTG this morning and immediately noticed that it was nowhere as smooth as the MTL. Outside temp was 50 degrees. There was a more pronounced 1-2 nibble and every gear did not feel as smooth. Once I drove it enough to warm the MTG up, everything smoothed out, except for a slight 1-2 nibble. Down shifting is silky smooth except when coming to a stop and slipping into 1st. It takes a little more effort to slip into first before you come to a stop. One thing I do like, is the MTG is the same specs as the factory fill and far exceeds all the factory specs. Summer time will be the test for me. I’m sure once it gets back to 100+ during summer, the MTG will exceed the Red Line MTL in protection.

So my take on all of this is getting the factory crap out of your car ASAP. If you live in cooler states, I would recommend Red Line MTL. If you live in HOT climates during the summer, get Amsoil MTG. I think MTL may be a tad too thin in hot climates. If you use MTG, then you will not have as smooth of shifting as opposed to using MTL in the winter. I’m sure MTG will be very smooth when it starts warming up again. As far as the TSB that Ford put out for the QDC fluid, well, that stuff is thinner than most automatic transmission fluids; so run that stuff at your own risk.

I’m still concerned with metallic stuff in my MTL oil when I drained it. I still have no whine or grinding.
Some research some one did on S197

Samsung Galaxy 2
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Some research some one did on S197

Samsung Galaxy 2
Problem with this individuals test is that he tested different oils during different times of the year!.. The tests were not consistent!..
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:

Problem with this individuals test is that he tested different oils during different times of the year!.. The tests were not consistent!..
We all know the issue with the stock fluid. He ran the Redline for a year. Now running the Amsoil and it is getting all the data from it. Its about as good as your going to get. Real world testing. Every company will tell you they are the best.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We all know the issue with the stock fluid. He ran the Redline for a year. Now running the Amsoil and it is getting all the data from it. Its about as good as your going to get. Real world testing. Every company will tell you they are the best.
There is no control factor is his tests!.. 1. He changed out his oil long before the factory recommended first interval!.. They are there for a reason!.. 900 miles is nothing when talking tranny fluid!.. 2. He used one type of oil during the cold months and another during the warm months!.. He needs to do both for a year straight then report the results!.. 3. He used a thinner oil than is recommended by the factory then what was used with the other!.. I'm not even going to get into why this is wrong when trying to compare different brands!.. I could go on with the flaws in his test but I'll just leave it at that!..
Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

There is no control factor is his tests!.. 1. He changed out his oil long before the factory recommended first interval!.. They are there for a reason!.. 900 miles is nothing when talking tranny fluid!.. 2. He used one type of oil during the cold months and another during the warm months!.. He needs to do both for a year straight then report the results!.. 3. He used a thinner oil than is recommended by the factory then what was used with the other!.. I'm not even going to get into why this is wrong when trying to compare different brands!.. I could go on with the flaws in his test but I'll just leave it at that!..
We are limited to specific replacement transmission fluids, all of which are different weights. Although I agree that this is not following the scientific method exactly, I disagree with the thought that this would be possible for most owners. He is doing the best that he can to inform others of his findings. Although the service interval is much longer, the oil itself will not improve over time. In fact, oils degrade over time. Think about a regular oil change. When you change your oil, you don't have to wait a certain amount of mileage for it to perform correctly. It has to perform right from the start. Overall, I think he is doing a good job of recording his findings. We can't compare the oils by anything else other than personal experience. Moreover, he is going to run amsoil for a year and he will compare it to redline during the summer which is his primary concern. Btw, I would consider the control case to be the stock fluid with the stock car. The only variable is the new oil.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Just fill everything with beer!...that way your car will have beer muscles and just think its faster then everyone else!...lol
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247

We are limited to specific replacement transmission fluids, all of which are different weights. Although I agree that this is not following the scientific method exactly, I disagree with the thought that this would be possible for most owners. He is doing the best that he can to inform others of his findings. Although the service interval is much longer, the oil itself will not improve over time. In fact, oils degrade over time. Think about a regular oil change. When you change your oil, you don't have to wait a certain amount of mileage for it to perform correctly. It has to perform right from the start. Overall, I think he is doing a good job of recording his findings. We can't compare the oils by anything else other than personal experience. Moreover, he is going to run amsoil for a year and he will compare it to redline during the summer which is his primary concern. Btw, I would consider the control case to be the stock fluid with the stock car. The only variable is the new oil.
The thing is he is using two different thickness oils!.. A thinner oil during the summer and a thicker one during the winter!..

Back in '98 I got my '96 Monte-Carlo Z34!.. I immediately switched it's oil to Castrol Full Synthetic 10w40!.. My car had about 15,000 miles on it!.. It hesitate a little on it's cold starts in the winter!.. In '99 I switched it's oil to Royal Purple 10w40!.. In the winter it's cold start hesitation was gone!.. I ran both oils for about a year straight!.. I ran the same weight of oil with both brands!..

I know his tests are with the tranny fluid and mine is with engine oil!.. But both of mine involve the same weight of oil and his do not!.. I do also know that the different companies out there do make all the different weights of tranny fluid!.. With that said he should have used the same weight for his brand comparison, but for one reason or another he choose not to!.. And for that reason his test is not accurate!.. There is no real base to compare to!..

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Just fill everything with beer!...that way your car will have beer muscles and just think its faster then everyone else!...lol
Sorry but I'm not a beer drinker!.. But I just might try it with some Rum!!... Hahahahahaha
Old 01-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
DO you know anything about the 2011+ manual tranny? The stock fluid is being changed by Ford them selves. Cause it sucks and they think it is the reason for some issues. Hence why they issued a TSB to change it. That why he took it out. Just like many of us that have did it. The Redline MTL is one the best ones out there. Which he used it for a year. Now Amsoil is said to be better. That is why he is testing it. And he is working on getting a year tested on it.

As far as control factor. I want real world testing. Not some lab geek testing it at a certain degree for a period of time. But real world weather and conditions. Real world beating the crap out of the car.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote:
The thing is he is using two different thickness oils!.. A thinner oil during the summer and a thicker one during the winter!..

Back in '98 I got my '96 Monte-Carlo Z34!.. I immediately switched it's oil to Castrol Full Synthetic 10w40!.. My car had about 15,000 miles on it!.. It hesitate a little on it's cold starts in the winter!.. In '99 I switched it's oil to Royal Purple 10w40!.. In the winter it's cold start hesitation was gone!.. I ran both oils for about a year straight!.. I ran the same weight of oil with both brands!..

I know his tests are with the tranny fluid and mine is with engine oil!.. But both of mine involve the same weight of oil and his do not!.. I do also know that the different companies out there do make all the different weights of tranny fluid!.. With that said he should have used the same weight for his brand comparison, but for one reason or another he choose not to!.. And for that reason his test is not accurate!.. There is no real base to compare to!..

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Sorry but I'm not a beer drinker!.. But I just might try it with some Rum!!... Hahahahahaha
Hence you tested. Or quoted. Or the car you are driving. Again nothing like the tranny in the new 5.0.

As far as the oil he is testing who cares if different weights. It is what people say to use for our cars. That why he is testing them. They are suppose to be the best. This is what people are running. This is another reason people with 2011+ like what he is doing. Hence 2011+. What worked in 2000 on that tranny don't work on these.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

DO you know anything about the 2011+ manual tranny? The stock fluid is being changed by Ford them selves. Cause it sucks and they think it is the reason for some issues. Hence why they issued a TSB to change it. That why he took it out. Just like many of us that have did it. The Redline MTL is one the best ones out there. Which he used it for a year. Now Amsoil is said to be better. That is why he is testing it. And he is working on getting a year tested on it.

As far as control factor. I want real world testing. Not some lab geek testing it at a certain degree for a period of time. But real world weather and conditions. Real world beating the crap out of the car.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Hence you tested. Or quoted. Or the car you are driving. Again nothing like the tranny in the new 5.0.

As far as the oil he is testing who cares if different weights. It is what people say to use for our cars. That why he is testing them. They are suppose to be the best. This is what people are running. This is another reason people with 2011+ like what he is doing. Hence 2011+. What worked in 2000 on that tranny don't work on these.
I think your missing my point!.. And that is he is testing one brand of one weight vs a totally different brand and different weight!.. It would be like me testing Castrol 10w30 vs RP 10w40 in my Monte, and then me saying my car runs better off of the RP 10w40!.. Well of course it runs better off of the RP 10w40!... My Monte requires 10w40 and not 10w30!!!....

Do you now see how his tests are proving inaccurate in promoting one brand over an other?.. If you are going to test different weights of oil then you need to stick with one brand!.. Not a different brand!.. And the opposite is true if you are comparing different brands!.. In that case you use the same weight of oil, and test the different brands!.. These are your controls!..

I don't have to own or know what type of fluid a 2011+ tranny needs to see that his tests are done wrong!.. He himself admitted that he tested one brand of one weight and another brand of another weight, then makes his recommendations what to use based off of the weight of the oil!..

And yes I too want real world tests done to see what is better!.. But the only way you are going to get accurate results is by doing the tests right!...
Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Hey Turner......why are you yelling so much?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Ha, because nobody gets what he means.

I get what you mean eturner.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
I'm not yelling!.. I just talk really loud!!!... Lol
Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
I think your missing my point!.. And that is he is testing one brand of one weight vs a totally different brand and different weight!.. It would be like me testing Castrol 10w30 vs RP 10w40 in my Monte, and then me saying my car runs better off of the RP 10w40!.. Well of course it runs better off of the RP 10w40!... My Monte requires 10w40 and not 10w30!!!....

Do you now see how his tests are proving inaccurate in promoting one brand over an other?.. If you are going to test different weights of oil then you need to stick with one brand!.. Not a different brand!.. And the opposite is true if you are comparing different brands!.. In that case you use the same weight of oil, and test the different brands!.. These are your controls!..

I don't have to own or know what type of fluid a 2011+ tranny needs to see that his tests are done wrong!.. He himself admitted that he tested one brand of one weight and another brand of another weight, then makes his recommendations what to use based off of the weight of the oil!..

And yes I too want real world tests done to see what is better!.. But the only way you are going to get accurate results is by doing the tests right!...
They are not the same weights so he compared what was available to use for our cars. Based also off what others have said they used. Or what is recommended by the said oil producers. Therefore his comparison makes perfect since.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I have 4,200 miles but never had it done yet... I hear the difference between the fluids is weight, and I figure one has an advantage over the other as far as temperature is concerned... I'm in Jersey and obviously its multiseason here... What is good to use year round? Mine isn't a DD and I don't want to keep changing the fluid every 3,000 to accomadate the temperature change... that's just silly
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT