Idiot me - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Idiot me

So Christmas eve was probably the worst day of my life. I was driving and I admit I was speeding a bit and it was dark out.. It was hitting a curve and failed to see a huge *** pot hole which I hit real hard and fell onto a curb.
Did alot of damage to the passenger side of the car. The rim broke off and the tire pretty much came off the car causing all sorts of damage to the suspension, brakes, axel and some other stuff plus a lil bit of body damage. :[ worst Christmas ever..
Anyone have any idea how much value has decreased? Not that I intended to sell my car but it's just so painful..
Anyone have any stories like this and still driving it?? Just curious how you were able to cope haha.. :[
Daveeemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Pics of the damages?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Idiot me

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Pics of the damages?
+1 Need to see the carnage

That sounds pretty bad.... but could have been far worse.........like death or dismemberment. Though the damage sucks, you are ok and at the end of the day... that is all that matters.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveeemoon View Post
So Christmas eve was probably the worst day of my life. I was driving and I admit I was speeding a bit and it was dark out.. It was hitting a curve and failed to see a huge *** pot hole which I hit real hard and fell onto a curb.
Did alot of damage to the passenger side of the car. The rim broke off and the tire pretty much came off the car causing all sorts of damage to the suspension, brakes, axel and some other stuff plus a lil bit of body damage. :[ worst Christmas ever..
Anyone have any idea how much value has decreased? Not that I intended to sell my car but it's just so painful..
Anyone have any stories like this and still driving it?? Just curious how you were able to cope haha.. :[
That sounds pretty bad! I would be investigating whether or not there is any legal action you can take against the party responsible for maintaining the road. It's completely unacceptable for there to be a hole in the road capable of causing this kind of damage!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

That sounds pretty bad! I would be investigating whether or not there is any legal action you can take against the party responsible for maintaining the road. It's completely unacceptable for there to be a hole in the road capable of causing this kind of damage!
Are you kidding me? This is what's wrong with America, no one is responsible for there own actions. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980 View Post
Are you kidding me? This is what's wrong with America, no one is responsible for there own actions. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault.
Are you serious? You pay a small fortune in taxes for the city/state to maintain the roads and due to their failure to do so you incur major damage to your vehicle. I am saying that the city/state SHOULD be held responsible for their actions, or lack thereof.

Trust me, I am the biggest proponent of personal responsibility/accountability that you will ever meet. That does not mean taking responsibility for the action/inaction of others, as well as taking responsibility for yourself.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Did the highway patrol get involved?
Sounds like a speeding and DUI situation at first glance.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Are you serious? You pay a small fortune in taxes for the city/state to maintain the roads and due to their failure to do so you incur major damage to your vehicle. I am saying that the city/state SHOULD be held responsible for their actions, or lack thereof.

Trust me, I am the biggest proponent of personal responsibility/accountability that you will ever meet. That does not mean taking responsibility for the action/inaction of others, as well as taking responsibility for yourself.
He said he was speeding into a curb, case closed. If there was black ice on the street should he still sue because they didn't have a man physically standing there watching for ice to form?
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

I agree completely. I pay the state and city to maintain the roads. Sure you hit the pothole, but they let the road decay to the point of having a giant pothole. And how often do you see a pothole in the dark before hitting it, let alone going around a curve. I know its a matter of opinion, but im pretty sure that the state should be held liable. Not saying you'll get money from them, but its our money we pay to have a decent, driveable road network, and they damn well put that money towards fixing the road.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980 View Post
He said he was speeding into a curb, case closed. If there was black ice on the street should he still sue because they didn't have a man physically standing there watching for ice to form?
Go back and read his post again, I think you're a bit to quick to throw this guy under the bus. He said there was a huge pothole that caused him to wreck.

All I'm saying is that if his accident was REALLY caused by a road that was improperly maintained then there is some fault by the party that let this road condition happen. "Huge *** potholes," as the OP described, do not appear overnight, and it's very cheap and easy to patch them. It's even cheaper to put up a cone or two, perhaps even a construction-like sign warning drivers that there is a hazard ahead.

Personal accountability/responsibility is a two way street. You have to objectively hold all parties accountable for their action/inaction. The bottom line is that only the OP truly knows whether this accident was caused by an improperly maintained road or driver error. If it was the former, then I would be holding the appropriate parties responsible, not taking responsible for their inaction.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

I feel your pain. With my G8 I had no luck at all. Had the car 3 months and just did bolt ons and a women cut me off by inches and stood on her brakes. I rearended her. It spent 49 days in the shop to get fixed. Then not even 3 months later sitting at a stop light a kid rearended me and he didn't have insurance. Here are the picks from both accidents. First accident was 18K in damage and the second was 10k cause of my full Kooks exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jpeg2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	37526   Click image for larger version

Name:	jpeg.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	37527  

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	37528   Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	37529  

Name:	IMAG0162..jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	37530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0161..jpg
Views:	93
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	37531  

Name:	IMAG0159..jpg
Views:	108
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	37532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0158..jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	37533  

Name:	IMAG0157..jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	37534  
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
I feel your pain. With my G8 I had no luck at all. Had the car 3 months and just did bolt ons and a women cut me off by inches and stood on her brakes. I rearended her. It spent 49 days in the shop to get fixed. Then not even 3 months later sitting at a stop light a kid rearended me and he didn't have insurance. Here are the picks from both accidents. First accident was 18K in damage and the second was 10k cause of my full Kooks exhaust.
Damn cuz, I know that sucked..
Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Holy **** bro! I can't believe they even fixed the first one ... how was there not frame damage?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Holy Shat!!! That's messed up gofst! My mustang went trough a similar incident but my car was parked unattended and a underage girl who was intoxicated rear ended the front of my car. 8k in damage, she was uninsured and didn't even own the car she was driving.

Name:	image-3416175745.png
Views:	182
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	37535

Name:	image-3555753131.png
Views:	175
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	37536
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Holy Shat!!! That's messed up gofst! My mustang went trough a similar incident but my car was parked unattended and a underage girl who was intoxicated rear ended the front of my car. 8k in damage, she was uninsured and didn't even own the car she was driving.
F... That's messed up. Your ins payed out I guess?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Holy **** bro! I can't believe they even fixed the first one ... how was there not frame damage?
I have no idea. It didn't totaled the car cause the car was valued at 34k. Hell I traded it in and still got 26k with 2 wrecks on it. it was 11 moths old when traded for the mustang and made 489whp and 522wtq. I loved it cause it was a 4dr and a V8 that I used to smoke SC 10 and prior mustang GT's, and vettes, and SS's. Even had a few 5.0's under the belt.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980

I'm with him dude I had a set of 2 month old nittos on my old 04 gt and was doing 30 mph came over a hill and hit a huge pot hole on the other side and blew out both passenger side tires... How is that my fault? No signs anywhere.. No warnings.. So I was out $450 for two new tires and and whatever the tow costed me.. No car while I was waiting on the tires.. Luckily there was no damage otherwise

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Also I totaled an 02 gt (not mine) and my first mustang an 03 gt.. Lol. When I totaled mine it was bc of gravel all over the road.. And I was goin WAY to fast.. Saw the gravel and I was doing about 90mph.. Slammed the brakes hard b4 I got there then let up when I got to the gravel so prolly 60-70 mph around a curve hit the gravel and instantly started doing 360s took out 150ft roughly of barbed wire fence.. 15 posts and 4 of them were the big wooden 6x6 posts.. Wasnt wearing a seatbelt and ended up on my back in the passenger seat looking at the roof..

The 02 gt was a girl that I had been flirting with for weeks at work and she finally gave in we were gonna hang out... We went to a party at my friends house which was only two houses down from mine so I just walked over.. She drove her and her friend there.. We partied and then her friend wanted to go home.. So she wanted me to drive her car and drop her off then come back to party.. I had an 04 gt at the time so exact same car just diff color and hers was bone stock.. We got half way to their apt and I decided to floor it after it had been raining which wouldn't have been a big deal except that I hit a dry patch and the car instantly hooked and hit a curb and telephone pole.. Broke a wheel off .. Completely snapped the passenger windshield post.. Crazy thing was The car ended up smashed against the telephone pole on the OPPOSITE side of where I hit the curb?? I wish I had that one on tape lol.. Was definitely drunk.. I no longer drink other than maybe a beer every 3-4 months.. And I did NOT get another date with this chick either.. Haha
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yup to reply to what most of u guys are saying, yeah I was speedin so it was my fault so if I was going to the speed limit would I have been able to see the pot hole and avoid it? Yeah possibly. But should that pot hole be there in the first place? No because lik what some of you said I pay taxes that is suppose to go into the maintenance of the roads to insure not only my own safety but everybody else's. There's fault on both sides. I guess I do have a case some what bc the pothole was just ridic but ikno it's just gonna take time and more money out of my pocket do I'm gonna bite the bullet on this one.

So I found out I have roughly 12000 of damages... Didn't take pics bc I was too heart broke. (not lik I ha another driver involved in the accident anyway.. Trying to forget this ever happened)

Sucks cuz I only had a 1000 miles only 5.0... So my question is how much value do u think I lost here? And do u guys think I'll run into car problems in the future bc of this? I kno ford is "built tough" but really? Hah
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveeemoon
Yup to reply to what most of u guys are saying, yeah I was speedin so it was my fault so if I was going to the speed limit would I have been able to see the pot hole and avoid it? Yeah possibly. But should that pot hole be there in the first place? No because lik what some of you said I pay taxes that is suppose to go into the maintenance of the roads to insure not only my own safety but everybody else's. There's fault on both sides. I guess I do have a case some what bc the pothole was just ridic but ikno it's just gonna take time and more money out of my pocket do I'm gonna bite the bullet on this one.

So I found out I have roughly 12000 of damages... Didn't take pics bc I was too heart broke. (not lik I ha another driver involved in the accident anyway.. Trying to forget this ever happened)

Sucks cuz I only had a 1000 miles only 5.0... So my question is how much value do u think I lost here? And do u guys think I'll run into car problems in the future bc of this? I kno ford is "built tough" but really? Hah
Mine still isn't the same after the repair.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

F... That's messed up. Your ins payed out I guess?
Yeah, my insurance covered 100% of the damage. It took three months to get it back. Most of the waiting was over poor communication between my insurance and the dealer. I ended up playing middle man in the end just to get my car back. That was a year and a half ago. It had less then 3k miles on it.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The problem is, see above where he admits to speeding.... They ( the law) will just relate damages to speed
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Yeah, my insurance covered 100% of the damage. It took three months to get it back. Most of the waiting was over poor communication between my insurance and the dealer. I ended up playing middle man in the end just to get my car back. That was a year and a half ago. It had less then 3k miles on it.
Damn that sucks bro. When you say it's not the same, whatcha mean?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="primer2tone"]

What happened to ur stang? An what's "not the same"?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
That's just sickening to look at.... such a nice car and because of people who don't pay attention or don't know how to drive/shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car.... the car spends more time and money being fixed then actually enjoyed. What a shame!!

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveeemoon View Post

I wouldn't think you've lost any more then the amount of the damages in value. It all kinda depends on the quality of the repairs. If they are good enough and since it's not a total loss claim you may not loss any value at all. Just gets tricky with suspension and steering components. If you are putting new with the old sometimes it is never "the same" as stock. But if they put all new parts done correctly and good quality then hopefully you wont have any problems.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Even if the body shop does excellent work, it's never the same as a factory fresh car unfortunately.... I'm in the business, I do paintless dent repairs and it sucks to work on cars that have body work... It's rare for the orange peel to come out factory-like
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
If your dealership has a body shop they usually seem to be best.. They have certain standards they have to meet..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT