Painting Calipers/Bracket and Caliper Reinstalltion/Brake Bleeding - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Painting Calipers/Bracket and Caliper Reinstalltion/Brake Bleeding

So I'm going to paint my calipers soon (have the dupli-color kit) and I'm curious if anyone has done this and can post pics.

The wildcard for me is the bracket... I've seen people leave the bracket alone and I don't think it looks all that great, but I'm concerned that it would be too much red. A few people have suggested painting the bracket black. Any thoughts on this?

Also, what kind of nightmare am I going to run into trying to bleed the brakes? I haven't done this in quite a while and I've heard that certain ABS systems can make this difficult due to secondary reservoirs trapping air bubbles and the like. I may open a separate thread for this when the time comes, but if anyone has had the calipers off on one of these cars any tips would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: Painting Calipers/Bracket and Caliper Reinstalltion/Brake Bleeding

I'd really just build a little stand for them out of scrap, take them off and clean/paint them right in the wheel well. Calipers only, in red, semi-gloss black everything else.

It's really not materially different bleeding ABS brakes than regular brakes. An inexpensive vacuum pump is your best friend here. They can be had on FleaBay cheap.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've painted mine, I'll post pics later today if you want to wait
afree05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I'd really just build a little stand for them out of scrap, take them off and clean/paint them right in the wheel well. Calipers only, in red, semi-gloss black everything else.
That's been the common suggestion. If I do this I'll take pics. I want to avoid doing them inside the wheel well. I just don't think I'll be able to get them as clean and get as consistent of a coat trying to work around all the other junk and dirt in there.

Quote:
It's really not materially different bleeding ABS brakes than regular brakes. An inexpensive vacuum pump is your best friend here. They can be had on FleaBay cheap.
Cool. I had heard you could have issues withe the secondary reservoir not really purging but you know what they say about what you read on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afree05 View Post
I've painted mine, I'll post pics later today if you want to wait
That would be great. It's probably going to be a bit before I paint mine, just gathering info before I get balls deep in it.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I painted mine while they were still attached to the car I didn't want to bleed my brakes and its black with yellow stuff EBC pads I think it looks alright?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120110_073533.png
Views:	1754
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	37751

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZYFAST View Post
I painted mine while they were still attached to the car I didn't want to bleed my brakes and its black with yellow stuff EBC pads I think it looks alright?

Attachment 37751
That does look pretty good, but how is the backside of the caliper? I'm pretty anal about these kinds of things and it would bother me KNOWING that I may have missed a spot.

I'm not trying to get out of bleeding the brakes, was just curious what complications, if any, could arise from the abs system since I haven't really bled the brakes on an ABS car before.

Also, what kind of rotors are those?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

That does look pretty good, but how is the backside of the caliper? I'm pretty anal about these kinds of things and it would bother me KNOWING that I may have missed a spot.

I'm not trying to get out of bleeding the brakes, was just curious what complications, if any, could arise from the abs system since I haven't really bled the brakes on an ABS car before.

Also, what kind of rotors are those?
Well when you do them clean the caliper really well I bought three cans for just the front and used about 2 1/2 and I was able to get the backside done first and then I did the front and I didn't do the inside cause it won't be seen and will just get dirty anyway and I set them on a jack stand next to the car and let them dry and then did them again, 4 coats to make sure I got everything and that it was dark and then put the pads on and then done, and my rotors are Powerstop rotors got a great deal through stage 3 motorsport.com but put EBC yellow stuff and not the hawk pads

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZYFAST View Post
Well when you do them clean the caliper really well I bought three cans for just the front and used about 2 1/2 and I was able to get the backside done first and then I did the front and I didn't do the inside cause it won't be seen and will just get dirty anyway and I set them on a jack stand next to the car and let them dry and then did them again, 4 coats to make sure I got everything and that it was dark and then put the pads on and then done, and my rotors are Powerstop rotors got a great deal through stage 3 motorsport.com but put EBC yellow stuff and not the hawk pads
Doesn't look like they sell them any more ... only the rears

Any reason for going with EBC over Hawk? I've been torn between the yellowstuff and HPS ... don't see people commenting much either way on them.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

They should have them but I can try to look another time and see if I can find them. I have just heard bad things with hawk pads, so I wanted to use EBC pads because I've never heard anyone complain about them and with my drilled and slotted they help me stop without brake fade and they don't squeal as much as people think or at least mine don't but yeah it was a great buy and upgrade because my stock rotors and pads were terrible because I got them so hot I burned the rotors and from then on I had horrible brake fade but not anymore with my setup!

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I did mine while they were still on as well, do you have the spray or brush on kit?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1160252524.png
Views:	296
Size:	823.3 KB
ID:	37755   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3210783969.png
Views:	260
Size:	763.6 KB
ID:	37756  

Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afree05
I did mine while they were still on as well, do you have the spray or brush on kit?
The brush on kit from duplicolor. Thanks for the pic. Looks like you left your brackets plain?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Do be careful using spray for who goes that route.You can do a great job with spray if done right ,but if done on the car you better cover very well.Entire car.You may not see over spray,but when you clay the car it will be obvious what happen.I saw this with another guys car.I am very anal about doing it right so I would remove them.Personally if they are not brembo I would not do any painting to them.JMO.That was one mod I done on my G8 I regretted.Came out good but much later wish I would have left them OEM finish
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
So I'm going to paint my calipers soon (have the dupli-color kit) and I'm curious if anyone has done this and can post pics.

The wildcard for me is the bracket... I've seen people leave the bracket alone and I don't think it looks all that great, but I'm concerned that it would be too much red. A few people have suggested painting the bracket black. Any thoughts on this?

Also, what kind of nightmare am I going to run into trying to bleed the brakes? I haven't done this in quite a while and I've heard that certain ABS systems can make this difficult due to secondary reservoirs trapping air bubbles and the like. I may open a separate thread for this when the time comes, but if anyone has had the calipers off on one of these cars any tips would be appreciated.
I painted mine using same brand. I did not remove brakes, just taped up around it.

Name:	image-144349287.png
Views:	985
Size:	823.2 KB
ID:	37757
Musskao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musskao View Post
I painted mine using same brand. I did not remove brakes, just taped up around it.

Attachment 37757
How many coats did you use? Did you have plenty from the kit to do both fronts and rears?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oops, already replied to you once.. Lol sorry
Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

I'm debating doing this on my Brembo car. However, what I really want is them not to turn rusty. The front's look painted already, backs I haven't inspected that closely but, if they are, I might just leave them alone.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I'm debating doing this on my Brembo car. However, what I really want is them not to turn rusty. The front's look painted already, backs I haven't inspected that closely but, if they are, I might just leave them alone.
Front Brembos are painted, rears aren't painted on any stock Mustang. This is a big part of the reason I'm painting mine ... any color is better than rust LOL
Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Front Brembos are painted, rears aren't painted on any stock Mustang. This is a big part of the reason I'm painting mine ... any color is better than rust LOL
Did 3 coats I believe. Had plenty left over. Just clean them well with the brush in the kit before painting. Also let dry between coats...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

yea, the brackets are unprinted, I can't remember exactly how many coats I did, I think like 3-4?, and I didn't even tape anytging
Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musskao View Post

Attachment 37757
looks hot!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	image-3461233166.png
Views:	415
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	37869

I don't understand why people don't paint the bracket. I think it looks half assed when not painted IMO.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980

I don't understand why people don't paint the bracket. I think it looks half assed when not painted IMO.
Hey I painted my bracket and you are right if you don't paint it I think it looks tacky as well

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

i love my red painted calipers , so easy .,looks awesome
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT