BLOWN UP 2011 - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #71
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: BLOWN UP 2011

Except if you are on a car forum you need to use the terms correctly - "nitro" is not short for nitrous. It is short for "nitro-methane".

Not trying to bust your chops but you don't want to come off as some ricer when talking to car people sometime (like using "nos" or "naws" to mean nitrous - Nos is a trade name for a system just like Zex, and the "fast and furious" ricer movies started the "nos" for nitrous)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Except if you are on a car forum you need to use the terms correctly - "nitro" is not short for nitrous. It is short for "nitro-methane".

Not trying to bust your chops but you don't want to come off as some ricer when talking to car people sometime (like using "nos" or "naws" to mean nitrous - Nos is a trade name for a system just like Zex, and the "fast and furious" ricer movies started the "nos" for nitrous)
Lol. I feel ya bro. No ricer here. All American pony car. Mustang!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Wow! This is hilarious!! The mustang soap's!! LMAO
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

So, has anyone heard of engine or cylinder failures for the 2011 v6 models using the bama tuners or was that cylinder issue only for the 5.0 models. Small number of 5.0 models at that.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #75
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
So, has anyone heard of engine or cylinder failures for the 2011 v6 models using the bama tuners or was that cylinder issue only for the 5.0 models. Small number of 5.0 models at that.
Haven't heard of any #8 cylinder problems on the 3.7

But seriously, I haven't heard of a similar problem on the 3.7 - and even on the 5.0 like you said it was a small number of cars and seemed to be the early ones while everyone was learning the engine parameters.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #76
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:

But seriously, I haven't heard of a similar problem on the 3.7 - and even on the 5.0 like you said it was a small number of cars and seemed to be the early ones while everyone was learning the engine parameters.
Oh, you're a funny guy! Lol

The only thing on V6's I've seen, is the driveshaft getting twisted up @135mph.

The OP just joined this forum to rant/ spread awareness about his problem. We'll probably never hear from him again.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
The OP just joined this forum to rant/ spread awareness about his problem. We'll probably never hear from him again.
Sad...good, but Sad...hopefully AM will keep us posted on this tragedy.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ha ha ha. Kind of hard to have the 8 cylinder blow in a 6 cylinder vehicle. Lol. I did hear and see the drive shaft issue on that one v6. I do love my tuner from bama.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen one vid of a 2011 V6 drive shaft coming up through when the guy was diving!... That's the only thing I've heard about the new V6!.. My first thought on that vid was a possible set up!.. But that's just me!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
I've seen one vid of a 2011 V6 drive shaft coming up through when the guy was diving!... That's the only thing I've heard about the new V6!.. My first thought on that vid was a possible set up!.. But that's just me!..
Yeah, I've never heard of a drive shaft coming up through on a v6. Im sure that this guy is not the only person in the world to have traveled 135 mph with a v6 mustang. Yet this is the only video ever produced to claim this. Up until now, no one has ever claimed this has happen to there v6. Sounds fishy to me. Is there any other documentation from other v6 owners this has happened. I smell bull ***** . Lol
Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Yeah, I've never heard of a drive shaft coming up through on a v6. Im sure that this guy is not the only person in the world to have traveled 135 mph with a v6 mustang. Yet this is the only video ever produced to claim this. Up until now, no one has ever claimed this has happen to there v6. Sounds fishy to me. Is there any other documentation from other v6 owners this has happened. I smell bull ***** . Lol
Could have been a situation where the D/S had been removed and not re-torqued correctly?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Could have been a situation where the D/S had been removed and not re-torqued correctly?
Yeah, makes me wonder why Ford has never put a statement out in the past or present on how the drive shafts can break through on the v6 if one travels over 112 mph. Up until recent this is the first we have heard of this issue. Maybe the drive shaft came faulty from the plant. This is like the first or second case ever to claim this. Why doesn't Ford put a clause on this. Where does it say driving this v6 over such and such speed may cause the following damage. Ford doesn't warn anyone of this. Why, if this is the case. They put warnings on coffee cups that read contents here may be hot.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

According to the vid I saw the car was completely stock!.. Nothing was done to it!..
Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

According to the vid I saw the car was completely stock!.. Nothing was done to it!..
Had to of had a tune on it to override the speed limit gov
Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Had to of had a tune on it to override the speed limit gov
True!.. But something else had to have been done to it too!.. Only other time I've seen a DS come apart like that was at the track!..
Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

True!.. But something else had to have been done to it too!.. Only other time I've seen a DS come apart like that was at the track!..
I agree with you. There is more to that drive shaft breaking because of 135 mph
Old 01-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Could have been as simple as having replaced the clutch, who knows lol
Old 01-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Where does Ford warn customers of the drive shaft breaking if one travels over 112 mph. Where in the paperwork does it read that warning. Sounds like liability law suit against Ford for not placing warning if this is actually true.

How can one say the drive shaft broke because of the speed. What does Ford say about it. Did they comment about the incident. Where does Ford say there v6 drive shaft wont hold up over 112 mph
Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
This "issue" has existed since 2005. I remember reading about it when I got my 2006 V6 and tuned it. There were warnings on multiple forums about not exceeding 115 on the stock V6 DS since it was prone to failure above those speeds.

Why should Ford have to issue a warning? They put the speed limiter on there to prevent this from happening.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Well I guess things like this is why D/S safety loops are out there?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Well I guess things like this is why D/S safety loops are out there?
As cheap as they are, it amazes me that they aren't part of the plethora of government-mandated safety equipment along with seat belts, air bags, ABS, ESC, blah blah blah.

But I digress as it seems we are getting quite far off the original topic.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

This "issue" has existed since 2005. I remember reading about it when I got my 2006 V6 and tuned it. There were warnings on multiple forums about not exceeding 115 on the stock V6 DS since it was prone to failure above those speeds.

Why should Ford have to issue a warning? They put the speed limiter on there to prevent this from happening.
They put warnings on sunviser about airbags.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They put warnings on sunviser about airbags.
I believe those are government mandated.

Also, what the eff does that have to do with driveshafts and blown engines. Those warnings prevent small children from being unnecessarily killed in minor accidents. The drive shaft does not typically fail unless you have removed the speed limiter and exceeded it. Apples to oranges here ...
Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

As cheap as they are, it amazes me that they aren't part of the plethora of government-mandated safety equipment along with seat belts, air bags, ABS, ESC, blah blah blah.

But I digress as it seems we are getting quite far off the original topic.
Agreed on both accounts
Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Who said the drive shaft failed because of the speed? Ford needs to place a warning about the drive shaft failing past certain speeds. If no warning, then a company could be held civilly liable for the damage caused. Should a person want to hire a lawyer and look into it, I think one may have a legitimate case if its even true. Whose to say the drive shaft failed because of the speed.

Again, why hasn't Ford issued a warning about this. Why hasn't ford placed this drive shaft issue in the paperwork to avoid civil liability.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who said the drive shaft failed because of the speed? Ford needs to place a warning about the drive shaft failing past certain speeds. If no warning, then a company could be held civilly liable for the damage caused. Should a person want to hire a lawyer and look into it, I think one may have a legitimate case if its even true. Whose to say the drive shaft failed because of the speed.

Again, why hasn't Ford issued a warning about this. Why hasn't ford placed this drive shaft issue in the paperwork to avoid civil liability.
Again, because the car is NOT capable of these speeds unless you modify it to do so. It's 100% safe as it is sold.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Again, because the car is NOT capable of these speeds unless you modify it to do so. It's 100% safe as it is sold.
Okay, So what modify would someone have to do on the v6 for it to operate at speeds of 140 plus and not have the drive shaft break through. How much does this modify cost as well?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, So what modify would someone have to do on the v6 for it to operate at speeds of 140 plus and not have the drive shaft break through. How much does this modify cost as well?
You have to replace the driveshaft...
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #99
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Quote:

This is like the warrenty thing u mod it at ur on risk when ford sells the car they sell it with a rev limiter for a reason (yes i know the government mandated speed limiters but...) they arnt going to put a super expnessive 3000 pound feet capable drive shaft in a car they only plan on having 250 lbft of torque in thats not cost effective and makes no buisness sence. If u remove the rev limiter or add a tune or basiclly do anything to make the car faster or more powerfull u should allways think about whats going to break (no matter what u do breaking parts is problly gunna hapen) so be proactive insted of reactive and incodents like this drive shaft thing will be few and far between. Ford should not have to place extra warnings on the car if it only fails when being modded. Now if it fails bone stock and the rev limiter is still on thats anouther story.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk

This is like the warrenty thing u mod it at ur on risk when ford sells the car they sell it with a rev limiter for a reason (yes i know the government mandated speed limiters but...) they arnt going to put a super expnessive 3000 pound feet capable drive shaft in a car they only plan on having 250 lbft of torque in thats not cost effective and makes no buisness sence. If u remove the rev limiter or add a tune or basiclly do anything to make the car faster or more powerfull u should allways think about whats going to break (no matter what u do breaking parts is problly gunna hapen) so be proactive insted of reactive and incodents like this drive shaft thing will be few and far between. Ford should not have to place extra warnings on the car if it only fails when being modded. Now if it fails bone stock and the rev limiter is still on thats anouther story.
First, the 11 stang has 280 torque not 250 torque. Second a tune does not blow the car up or break things if done correctly If the car in not capable of going 135 then just don't go that fast and one wont have an issue.

I don't drive 135 mph so its not an issue for me. If you want to drive 140 plus buy a Gt then. I have a bama tuner to improve my acceleration, throttle response and shift points for my speeds under 100 mph.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

First, the 11 stang has 280 torque not 250 torque. Second a tune does not blow the car up or break things. If the car in not capable of going 135 then just don't go that fast and one wont have an issue.
Ummmm bad tunes from any tuner on any car can blow one up. Why would AM even warranty theirs if this were not the case?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

That is all.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

That is all.
LoL
Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #104
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Quote:

First, the 11 stang has 280 torque not 250 torque. Second a tune does not blow the car up or break things if done correctly If the car in not capable of going 135 then just don't go that fast and one wont have an issue.

I don't drive 135 mph so its not an issue for me. If you want to drive 140 plus buy a Gt then. I have a bama tuner to improve my acceleration, throttle response and shift points for my speeds under 100 mph.
Im starting to think u have confrontational issues. I really dont care about a 30lbft diffrence and im sure 85% of the ppl that read my post got my point. Ur sweetin the details, its kind of funny to be honest. Did u get the point? And any tune if done WRONG can blow ur engine. And nobody should be rippin down the highway at over 100miles per hour. Still dont see y u think ford should be putting warrnings on there cars for problems caused by modding but maybe thats just me.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk

Im starting to think u have confrontational issues. I really dont care about a 30lbft diffrence and im sure 85% of the ppl that read my post got my point. Ur sweetin the details, its kind of funny to be honest. Did u get the point? And any tune if done WRONG can blow ur engine. And nobody should be rippin down the highway at over 100miles per hour. Still dont see y u think ford should be putting warrnings on there cars for problems caused by modding but maybe thats just me.
Correct me if im wrong but is it an accurate statement to say a large majority of mustang owners modify their stang to some degree. Im sure Ford is aware of this and might be a good idea to let consumers know about the driveshaft not being able to withstand certain speeds. Why does Ford have a speed meter in the v6 that reads 160 if the car can only safely go 118. When people see the 160 its only natural to think the vehicle is capable of doing that. According to the installed odometer by Ford the 2011 v6 reads 160. Don't have a freaking odometer that reads 160 if the car can't go 160, put 118 or 112 what ever the speed gov is set for. It gives consumers the wrong impression and a sense of false security because no where does Ford tell consumers this.

Hard to believe but there are stang owners out there that don't go on mustang forums. They don't eat and breath mustang forums. They have no idea there car can't go 135. After all Ford doesn't warn consumers this and there odometer reads 160.

No confrontation issues but if your going to quote a statistic please put the right statistic down. 250 is not 280. I agree no need to drive 135 on public roadway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT