BLOWN UP 2011 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

Region: Texas
BLOWN UP 2011

Hello fellow Ford owners,

I have joined this Forum to let as many people know about my problem as I can.

In April of 2011 I bought a 2011 Mustang 5.0 C/S, I was told by the dealer RUSSEL & SMITH FORD in Houston, TX that they would allow me to use Nitrous and a Tune on the vehicle and if any problems I brought it back to them, they would fix the problem and take care of me. Authorized by the Sales Manager.

I DID NOT USE NITROUS, i did however buy a SCT tuner and Cold Air from AmericanMuscle.com and Tunes by BAMA. Tune was installed on the vehicle when it had aprox. 1500 miles on it. From April to January the car had 4,600 miles put on it. Thats 500 miles a month. Just recently the car started to smoke (white) so I called the dealer, they advised me to bring it in and let them take a look at it. I did not want to drive it to possibly cause more damage to it so I called a wrecked under my Ford Warranty.

When the car was at the dealer it was determined that CYLINDER #8 was bad and the dealership told me that I needed a new motor. Prior to bringing the car in the Cold air was removed and the tune was taken off and returned to stock. The dealership advised that the car had been tuned and that my Ford warranty was voided. They quoted me $10,640.70 to fix my BRAND NEW CAR. I went to the dealership to talk to the Sales Manager and he no longer works there. I talked to the GM and he told me that the Sales Manager would never say that and that I would have to fix the car out of pocket. I then called the VP of the dealership and he also told me there was nothing he could do, but agreed that the car should not have blown up with that little miles no matter what.

I then called BAMA tuning and talked to Mike, Mike was very helpful and said that he would do anything to help me fix the problem and get my car fixed. He suggested that I call Ford Motor Company Customer Relations and talk to them about the problem because apparently this is a ongoing problem and happens to 100% stock 2011 5.0's.

I called Customer Relations at FORD and I told them what had been going on and they basically told be I am screwed and that I had to fix it out of pocket. I let them know that their lack of wanting to help would cause nothing but bad publicity for them and they again did not seem to care.

I am (was) a Ford man, but this incident has let me down in believing in Ford backing their products. I have had a Fully built Z06, Built 03 Cobra, 550 WHP Integra, and never have I had a problem like this much less with a BRAND NEW CAR!! I guess that is what happens when you buy a first year motor.

I hope everyone will read this and learn that #1. Never listen to a dealership even if it is a Manager. #2. Do not buy a first year motor. #3. FORD is not willing to help you out.

I have been doing research and I have read a few articles where these 100% stock Mustangs have been blowing up CYLINDER #8. I will be filing a law suit against Ford and the Dealership on this matter. Please PM me if you have had any of the same problems with your 5.0.

I would like to give props to BAMA Tuning for stepping up to bat for their customers and WANTING to help!
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Re: BLOWN UP 2011

Every one knows if you tune the car it viods the warranty. That has been out for a while. But wait American Muscle says if one blows up with there tune they will fix it. So they are not covering it?
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Every one knows if you tune the car it viods the warranty. That has been out for a while. But wait American Muscle says if one blows up with there tune they will fix it. So they are not covering it?
BAMA (americanmuscle.com) is going to fix it. What my point is, is that FORD is showing no interest in helping when the problem is not directly related to a tuning issue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

why would you believe that your warranty would be good after nitrous and a tune? Maybe I would believe the tune would be okay, but nitrous? I'm assuming that's what you meant because they said they would take care of you..whatever that means. If this really happened to you it sucks, but when you start putting aftermarket parts on your car you risk losing your warranty and crap like this happening. Good Luck.

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Ahh ok so American muscl eis flipping the whole bill? And I understand about Ford but the warnings are everywhere about if you tune it you void warranty. Sucks I know. But as many here have said when people asked. If you can't afford to get it fixed leave it stock.

I do agree that it is a Ford issue. As there are a few that blew up with nothing done. Biut Ford will never admit that.

Next pics of damage? Bill from dealer
Old 01-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford_Bama1.pdf (5.59 MB, 350 views)
Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Always there's someone that can break a steel ball in a sandbox. I can, if I choose, blow up a stock motor by hanging it on the limiter for 20 minutes. I'd say there's pretty few guaranteed absolutely stock 5.0s blowing up. The story on the Internetz ain't necessarily the reality. You were honest and owned up to modifying the car. Most dudes would have come on here *****ing and proclaiming innocence, claiming it was kept in a hermetically sealed bubble and only ever driven by grandma at speeds not exceeding 20 mph.

You tune, you are on your own. Even the mild Ford tune potentially falls under the recent no-tune edict, if a person was to read it literally.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Makes me glad I got my tune from bama so I don't have to worry bout it!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Think about it - what does Ford warranty? The warranty their work.

Once you modify -- i.e. change the tune -- then it is no longer the car and engine that Ford built. That's the cost of modifying the car for different performance from what Ford built and delivered to you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Why would any manufacturer warranty a motor when you completely reprogram the computer to make more power by increasing timing and fuel. It's not fords problem your the one that changed it so why should they pay for it. Don't get me wrong I'm all for modding your cars but if your going to start modding your motor you have to expect something to break that's just part of the game if you can't afford to fix it don't mod it. Oh and my 2011 has 23,000 miles on it now motor is stock only mods I have Is suspension and I have had zero problems
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Yeah, yeah, yeah............ dude if you were quoted 10k plus for a new engine.. SOMEONE is ganking you for around 5k. 5600- 6500 is what the Coyote costs. Now if they wanted to replace with the Boss engine... thats a deal!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

you ruined your engine ,bro good luck
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #13

Region: Florida

While I think we all agree that it's possible that #8 may potentially be running close to maximum performance, ford has built this motor to perform. I had a sct tune in my 5.4 raptor and it was a bad tune. Knocked, pinged and just ran poor. That swore me off the tune idea forever. You can do damage with a tune, we all know it, ford knows it and while you and many others might thing its ok, it will void the warranty and for good reasons by ford.

If you alter their design on their product, that they did MUCH more testing on than any tuner you leave their warranty.

The situation sucks, we're all auto enthusiasts here and I think all understand the risks. If ford would warranty the motor no matter, I'd do a supercharger tomorrow.

They won't, so my bank account is safe

2015 Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Jeep Wrangler (Lifted)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
Jeffola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have this issue with this. I understand the OP is upset; I would be, too but, this is a perfect example of why info on the web needs to be viewed with a very thoughtful eye.

He's cross-posted this on a whole bunch of different Mustang forums and as discussion progresses, the impression comes to anyone not involved that Coyotes blow #8 all the time. Do a search in a couple weeks on Coyote and you'll see a ton of these posts from these threads popping up.

It's the same as the frickin' transmission threads. You get a few angry individuals, even if they have legit concerns, that end up colouring the perception of a huge number of people, often erroneously. This damages relations with the company producing the product, makes legit warranty work harder to get and affects resale value.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0
Yeah, yeah, yeah............ dude if you were quoted 10k plus for a new engine.. SOMEONE is ganking you for around 5k. 5600- 6500 is what the Coyote costs. Now if they wanted to replace with the Boss engine... thats a deal!!!!
I think the 10k he said might have included parts and labour!..

But if not then just order it from Jegs!.. For about 9,000 you will the 5.0 engine, engine controller, manual trans, alternator kit, and engine cover!.. Shipped right to you!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Ford is not obligated or held liable for what any sales manager at any dealer tells you, that's why the warranty is written into the sales contract not agreed upon by a handshake. For you to say you were told that you'd be covered using nitrous and a tune outside of your warranty contract indicates that you and this manager both knew that these thing were not covered under warranty to start with. If you file a lawsuit, you will be wasting both your time and money because you will loose, situations like this are exactly why warranties are written contracts and signed as agreed upon at the point of purchase. If you expected anything different you should have gotten it in writing. Whether or not this #8 thing is real issue or not became absolutely pointless as soon as you downloaded the tune into the car in the eyes of the court/law.

Sorry you are having this problem and it great that Bama is supporting you through all this but stop and think, if Ford fixed your motor for free how many people do you think would be lined up tomorrow morning at dealerships across the country trying to get new motors? The sayings 'you have to pay to play, and once you open your hood to high performance you will open your hood again for repairs' come to mind.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

I think the 10k he said might have included parts and labour!..

But if not then just order it from Jegs!.. For about 9,000 you will the 5.0 engine, engine controller, manual trans, alternator kit, and engine cover!.. Shipped right to you!..
Shouldn't need the Trans, controller or alternator.. Car should already have all those parts.
And should not have to buy them just to get the engine.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Pics of the 550 whp Integra please! LMAO

Northern Virginia Mustang Club
Silver Mustang Registry #1045
2010 Brilliant Silver 4.0 V6 Traded and will be missed
2011 Performance White Premium GT 5.0 6MT, 19" Machined Wheels, 3.73 gears, GT500 Axle-Backs, Eibach Pro Springs, Dynojet #'s 387rwhp/380 tq.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star
Don't under stand why its funny...
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Don't under stand why its funny...
^++
Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Shouldn't need the Trans, controller or alternator.. Car should already have all those parts.
And should not have to buy them just to get the engine.
Just comparing price wise is all!!... 10,000 for just a motor when for about a thousand less and you can get a whole lot more!!.....

And yes you can order them seperatly from Jegs!..
Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Why not just get an aluminator engine for 6500 for a turn key that has forged internals.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

That's terrible, what happened. I still can't get over that AM is gonna cover the loss! If I were you, I'd be kissin AM's bean bag right about now. As for Ford, I've had several warranty issues with my first year 5.0. They have always taken care of me and I haven't had to jump through any hoops to get it covered. I'm glued to Ford. I love their products and I wouldn't want anything else! I know people will disagree with me but I feel my money was a sound investment in Ford and my next one will be the same.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
Use to trip me out too....but believe it or not they have made power like that.Not to sure how great the TQ is though
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
Road Trip!

A 06+ civic si with the K20 engine have made 500whp plus with nothing but a 7k turbo kit. Being the car weighs 3200lbs it hurts a lot of feelings. My buddy has one. Very nice inside as well.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A 06+ civic si with the K20 engine have made 500whp plus with nothing but a 7k turbo kit. Being the car weighs 3200lbs it hurts a lot of feelings. My buddy has one. Very nice inside as well.
I've seen a number of four bangers like that!.. On the flip side.... A small motor putting out that kind of power generally doesn't last that long!..
Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

that sucks , but that's the risk you take with a tune etc ...
I've had a very aggressive tune in My Mach 1 for years now with no problems , been lucky i guess ..........
Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

I call Bull ***** on the OP...

If you've owned the heavily modified vehicles you are claiming, then you should know full well that no dealer or manufacturer on this earth is going to warranty a factory vehicle that has been tuned let alone one that's running nitrous...Anyone who has ever done any significant work on a car knows that the moment you modify the tune/engine, the factory coverage goes out the window because the car is no longer FACTORY!
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT

If you've owned the heavily modified vehicles you are claiming, then you should know full well that no dealer or manufacturer on this earth is going to warranty a factory vehicle that has been tuned let alone one that's run nitrous...Anyone who has ever done any significant work on a car knows that the moment you modify the tune/enginer, the factory coverage goes out the window because the car is no longer FACTORY!
+1
bigsmitty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

I've seen a number of four bangers like that!.. On the flip side.... A small motor putting out that kind of power generally doesn't last that long!..
The k20 and k24 are very strong engines. Buddy and his friends have over 10k on their engines no issue.

Then look at EVO's. They can handle about 550awhp stock..

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT

If you've owned the heavily modified vehicles you are claiming, then you should know full well that no dealer or manufacturer on this earth is going to warranty a factory vehicle that has been tuned let alone one that's running nitrous...Anyone who has ever done any significant work on a car knows that the moment you modify the tune/engine, the factory coverage goes out the window because the car is no longer FACTORY!
I kinda agree. You mod then why should ford cover it. Its your fault. You knew the risk when you tuned it.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The k20 and k24 are very strong engines. Buddy and his friends have over 10k on their engines no issue.

Then look at EVO's. They can handle about 550awhp stock..

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

I kinda agree. You mod then why should ford cover it. Its your fault. You knew the risk when you tuned it.
I have a buddy with an EVO running about 500hp!... That is until the block split in half!... Lol. But to each their own!..
Old 01-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Hey guys,

Just wanted to jump in and let everyone know what's going on our end.

This is exactly why Bama has the cylinder #8 warranty, so that we don't leave our customers high and dry when they need us. We put the warranty in place to make our customers confident in what we do, and because of that we have literally thousands of 2011+ GT's on the road with our tunes. We've tuned more 2011+ Mustangs than anyone else in the country, and our failure rate is extremely low.

We're investigating the OP's situation, and if it's a cylinder #8 failure that Ford denies because of aftermarket mods - we'll cover it!

Hope this helps clear it up a little bit from our side. We'll update, or I'm sure the OP will.

Chris
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764 | Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
Need Help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
AMChrisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amchrisrose
Hey guys,

This is exactly why Bama has the cylinder #8 warranty, so that we don't leave our customers high and dry when they need us. We put the warranty in place to make our customers confident in what we do, and because of that we have literally thousands of 2011+ GT's on the road with our tunes. We've tuned more 2011+ Mustangs than anyone else in the country, and our failure rate is extremely low.

We're investigating the OP's situation, and if it's a cylinder #8 failure that Ford denies because of aftermarket mods - we'll cover it!

Hope this helps clear it up a little bit from our side. We'll update, or I'm sure the OP will.

Chris
That is stand up customer service. I think real issue is he suspected ford to cover after he modded the car
Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by amchrisrose
Hey guys,

Chris
After reading what American Musscle wrote it makes me happy knowing there's companies out there that stand behind there product. I also have a sct bama tuner and love it and American Musscle. One thing I have noticed about the tuner posts is that the 5.0 seems to be the one affected by this tune. I have the 11 v6 and haven't read issues like this like the 5.0 had.

Were the v6 tunes having a similar issue. Of course there is no #8 cylinder but is a #6 cylinder blowing in the v6. I haven't read such problems?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
that sucks , but that's the risk you take with a tune etc ...
I've had a very aggressive tune in My Mach 1 for years now with no problems , been lucky i guess ..........
Ive got the bama tunes on mine and honestly, asside from tgrottle response I haven't seen much change between stock->street->performance tunes. I'm waiting for summer for the race tune. I've got a little vibration or ticking from 4-5k in the revs but other than that I'm very satisfied.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT