Ecoboost mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Ecoboost mustang?

Be read somewhere that ford is planning on running the ecoboost motor in all of their cars. I've also read that the next mustang design is going to have the motor in it. What are some people's opinions of this. Mind you that a ford flex with the ecoboost can run 13.4 quarters with only a dyno tune, and a Taurus sho can run in the 12s with the same treatment.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Turbo muatangs have always been cool, powerful, and fast. Fuel economy never hurts. Boost is great. I see no problems except for the 'eco' part of the badge. A 360-380 hp 380-420tq 3.7 tivct TT sounds pretty fn sick to me. Hell the 5.0 tt would be pushing 550 with very mild turbos. I see no problems...
Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My thought is that a mustang would be a mustang unless they offered it in a v8. Not that I don't like the v6 but it just wouldn't be the same. I know they know this to so won't do it but. Lol I think the worst part of the idea is that even the low end cars can beat the old top of the line lol a stock 96-01 cobra doesn't have much left even against the v6 of today's muscle cars and that's sad to me but that's how it is. The hp wars started again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
My thought is that a mustang would be a mustang unless they offered it in a v8. Not that I don't like the v6 but it just wouldn't be the same. I know they know this to so won't do it but. Lol I think the worst part of the idea is that even the low end cars can beat the old top of the line lol a stock 96-01 cobra doesn't have much left even against the v6 of today's muscle cars and that's sad to me but that's how it is. The hp wars started again
Well thats true, but you need to consider its been 11 years since the 01 cobra, and that just means innovation. I'd be worried if they were still at the same HP range now, as they were in 01. I could go for a turbo v6 with better mpgs. I dont see one word in there that looks bad to me. Lol
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Personally I think an Eco boost V6 Mustang would be cool!.. And as far as base model performing as good as yesterdays top model?!?.... Dude that is called progress!.. My brother-n-law has a '69 GTO and a '84 Grand National!.. My '04 GT can pull on both of those cars!.. But in their day they were some of the cars to beat!.. It's just progress!.. And the new 5.0 with a 100hp more than my car and getting the same if not better mpg than my car!.. It's all just progress!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Nah I didn't mean it like that cause obviously there's gonna be progression but you look at the '10 gt with 315 hp then the '11 with a massive jump to 412. In my opinion yea it's cool but I think it was to big of a jump cause now all they can do is go up. Soon the bottom end performance cars will come with over 500 and that's a bit to much cause with the power rising so does the price.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nah I didn't mean it like that cause obviously there's gonna be progression but you look at the '10 gt with 315 hp then the '11 with a massive jump to 412. In my opinion yea it's cool but I think it was to big of a jump cause now all they can do is go up. Soon the bottom end performance cars will come with over 500 and that's a bit to much cause with the power rising so does the price.
The reason for that jump was because the Camaro came back!.. Otherwise the Mustang would be running with it's tail between it's legs!..
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah i get what you're saying. But perhaps seeing as the base hp on cars would be so high, the price can only go so high, so who knows. Might be able to get a 500hp beast for $25,000. Lol
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol they did it from 94-02. With a minimum of 50 hp between the camaros and mustangs.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I still don't see the issue. As long as the internal combustion engine is in use there will be a v8 mustang. Sure you will get higher performing cars but so what. Personally, I think the current v6 is gonna be around for awhile. Or they will replace it with a turbo 4 at similar power figures. The gt should see a bump to high 400s mayb 500 hp for the redesign and we may see an ecoboost 6 in between. Mustangs now span a 350 hp gap between entry to high end. Lots of room for 4 ponys in that gap.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #11

Region: Texas
I heard of svo making a come back but with the ecoboost 4 cyl from the new for focus. Not sure of the truth of that rumor. Anyone else heard of this too? Would be best just to go with the v6 ecoboost. But I heard also from a friend at ford that they are considering the 4cyl instead of the v6 because they don't want to out do the coyote. But hell they should do an ecoboost coyote single turbo. That would be a car.
Romeoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I dont think ford will do it they will de tune it so it wont beat the v8 like they did with the svo
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
An eco boost in every lvl of mustang would be cool (4, 6 and 8 cyl) if they dont want to do that then dont use the eco boost (which would prolly kill the mustang if they dont) fact is there is no good reason to "de tune" anything just keep improving on what u have and theres no reason they dont do an eco boost v8 its really the only engine missing right now. they do that and mustang will be top seller again prolly for anouther 30 yrs.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
An eco boost in every lvl of mustang would be cool (4, 6 and 8 cyl) if they dont want to do that then dont use the eco boost (which would prolly kill the mustang if they dont) fact is there is no good reason to "de tune" anything just keep improving on what u have and theres no reason they dont do an eco boost v8 its really the only engine missing right now. they do that and mustang will be top seller again prolly for anouther 30 yrs.
I think your missing the point of the ecoboost, great gas mileage incredible power, they already have a boosted v8 its the Shelby

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol

I think your missing the point of the ecoboost, great gas mileage incredible power, they already have a boosted v8 its the Shelby
Not at all i think ur missing the point of an ecoboost v8 the shelbys all about raw power not econamy its just for ppl who dont want to sacrafice the sound and feel of a true v8 but still want good gas milage (think of it as a highbreed v8 turbo sted of sc with vvti and vct as well as the benafit of a smaller displacement and more hood clearence)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The new 5.0s have 412hp and get good gas mileage, I think the best for those numbers, now a 4 or 6 cylinder makes sense way better gas mileage and v8 power

Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Road Trip!

But the sound and feel are gone dont get me wrong they nailed it with the new 5.0 but amagine a 3.8 l v8 with 460-500 ponys and 30 mpg u tellin me theres no market for somethin like that? cause id buy one and i know other stang lovers would to. specilly those who love shelbys but aint got the coin to buy (or feed) one.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Ok ok maybe im being unrealistic but even 350hp-400hp id still buy it heck anything over 300 and it will prolly sell.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The sound and feel are gone? My buddy had an old turbo coupe with some minor mods and increased boost, that thing was fun as hell, you couldn't here the 4 cylinder exhaust note because of the noise of the turbo spooling!

Now what about the people who would rather have a 5 liter and build it up NA instead of a little v8 boosted

Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #19
Road Trip!

U keep the bigger v8 in the line up obviouslly. Ok ill try to explain the reasoning behind the smaller v8 ecoboost idea... If ur like me which belive it or not some ppl are. ur in love with the sound of a v8, boosted or n/a dosent matter the bigest v8(say this instance the 5.4l) is good for the hot rodders/all stock, looking for masive go b/a cars dont care about econamy just raw power thats the shelby/cobra/boss class then u got the high proformance v8 modder class (gt's with the 5.0l in this instance) were they plan on adding upgrades econamy dosent really matter but maybe a little but more looking to just get the most out of moding the car now u have the smaller eco boost v8 which is for the ppl who want a powerfull car with the sound of a v8 there not planing on modding and economy is a factor to play cause itll be a dd then down the line u go more to economy less to power... Fact is weather its l4, v4, l6, v6,horozontally aposed 6 (comon name "boxer" configuration) or v12 boosted or not i dont like the sound it puts me to sleep does nothing to excite me (some ppl it does ppl like me it dont) the only engine sound boosted or not that makes ppl like me WANT to drive are in v8, w16, and oddly enough horozontlly apposed 4 configurations. If all i hear is a turbo i find it annoying so ur little boosted example would do nothing for me. And out of all them in sound the v8 im in love the most so it makes sence for the v8 heart throob that wants a decent DD there not looking to mod but are going to drive all the time and still want to feel excited wgen they go for a rip. Now u ether get it or u dont if u dont sry i cant help u and this conversation is pointless (which it is cause they still dont have one anyways) unless ur only point is to try and troll someone for a good idea (weather u think it is or not) in which case im not intrested so... Have fun!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #20

Region: Ohio
A 30+mpg turbo 4 making 300 hp would be more feasible then a turbo 6 in the upcoming years. The 5.0 will grow in power as will the 3.7L. Its logical to predict this seeings how the stricter emission regulations are coming up fast. Lighter chassis, a lower gearset, and of course a 2L ecoboost engine would certainly achieve this. They could market it as an SVO and it would sell like cheeseburgers especially if its base price was less then a 6 cylinder. All IMO of course.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford
A 30+mpg turbo 4 making 300 hp would be more feasible then a turbo 6 in the upcoming years. The 5.0 will grow in power as will the 3.7L. Its logical to predict this seeings how the stricter emission regulations are coming up fast. Lighter chassis, a lower gearset, and of course a 2L ecoboost engine would certainly achieve this. They could market it as an SVO and it would sell like cheeseburgers especially if its base price was less then a 6 cylinder. All IMO of course.
It probably would sell, but I'm sure it would attract more of the import guys. It wouldn't sound anything like a mustang should...
Old 03-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Region: Georgia
IMO they should use the ecoboost v6 as a trim line between the base six and the gt. Kinda like dodge did with the r/t between the srt and v6. Ford could make some serious dough this way by jacking up the price of the 5.0 and selling a base ecoboost at around 26-27k. Plus the horsepower output would already be in close competition with the r/t
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Turbos=more $$$. Were lucky ford didn't raise the price from the 4.6-5.0. So why would they do it next generation? The 3.7 v6 gets almost 10 more mpg than the 4.0 did. So why can't they make the 5.0 get 10 more mpg than the 4.6? They can do this without turbos while keeping the price the same.it will just take time, I dont think they will do this ecoboost in the next gen mustangs.
Davey4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey4.0
Turbos=more $$$. Were lucky ford didn't raise the price from the 4.6-5.0. So why would they do it next generation? The 3.7 v6 gets almost 10 more mpg than the 4.0 did. So why can't they make the 5.0 get 10 more mpg than the 4.6? They can do this without turbos while keeping the price the same.it will just take time, I dont think they will do this ecoboost in the next gen mustangs.
No they just boosted up the HP by about 100 ponies!... To me that's a fair trade!..
Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Re: Ecoboost mustang?

Hell, Ford could put the ecoboost in the Mustang and call it the return of the SVO.
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezmer
Hell, Ford could put the ecoboost in the Mustang and call it the return of the SVO.
I like that idea.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony

I like that idea.
Hell they had the turbo four banger in the fox, Id like to see another factory stang with a turbo.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I hope they do the turbo 6. Check out the gtrs they are amazing twin 6s killing all the big 8s
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Mabey they will make a twin turbo v10 for a special Shelby (ya right) it cant hurt to dream lol.
Davey4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Re: Ecoboost mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey4.0 View Post
Mabey they will make a twin turbo v10 for a special Shelby (ya right) it cant hurt to dream lol.
I would buy it.

If I had the money.
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Region: Georgia
Screw a turbo v10 just put a turbine motor in it!
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #31

Region: Pennsylvania
The 2011 gt did go up in price from the 2010gt but only alittle well worth it for 125+ hp increase. Gas mileage is a lot better than 2010gt even better than window sticker with manual transmission
Blacksunshine11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT