MSD two-step - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
MSD two-step

As anyone used one? They work? Worth it? Pros, cons, etc., etc???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: MSD two-step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
As anyone used one? They work? Worth it? Pros, cons, etc., etc???
I posted a thread about this a while ago and didn't get much response but I'll tell you what I know.

Has anyone used one - certainly, but nobody is speaking up
Do they work - definitely
Are they worth it - Maybe. Do you live at the drag strip and need your launches to be consistent and at a specific RPM? Chances are if you have to ask, it's not worth it for you. If you needed it you would know.

There really are no pros/cons ... it does what it does. Also, MSD makes one specifically for this car, so make sure you get that one and not a normal two step that's designed to be wired into a MSD ignition.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I posted a thread about this a while ago and didn't get much response but I'll tell you what I know.

Has anyone used one - certainly, but nobody is speaking up
Do they work - definitely
Are they worth it - Maybe. Do you live at the drag strip and need your launches to be consistent and at a specific RPM? Chances are if you have to ask, it's not worth it for you. If you needed it you would know.

There really are no pros/cons ... it does what it does. Also, MSD makes one specifically for this car, so make sure you get that one and not a normal two step that's designed to be wired into a MSD ignition.
Well mine is definitely a DD.. But I make a couple trips to the track a year usually.. Just seems like they would make the launch a lot easier? Not having to worry about getting in it too much or too little..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Well mine is definitely a DD.. But I make a couple trips to the track a year usually.. Just seems like they would make the launch a lot easier? Not having to worry about getting in it too much or too little..
A 2 step is actually really hard on the drivetrain. You are loading with all this power and dumping it at once. It's also hard on the cats. I also imagine the installation of one would void any warranty.
There is also no slipping the clutch or modulating power off the line. It's all or nothing
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

A 2 step is actually really hard on the drivetrain. You are loading with all this power and dumping it at once. It's also hard on the cats. I also imagine the installation of one would void any warranty.
There is also no slipping the clutch or modulating power off the line. It's all or nothing
Wouldnt really be any different than a typical hard launch though correct? I have no cats and a tuner along w other mods so obviously not worried about warranty.. They say that your supposed to ease off the clutch too which leads me to believe that it does slip some.. Otherwise you could just dump the clutch...
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

No differnet then any o0ther high rpms launch. Also it helps you hold rpms when shifting. It is a good thing to have when drag racing. You can always have it off on normnal driving just like a line lock.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
No differnet then any o0ther high rpms launch. Also it helps you hold rpms when shifting. It is a good thing to have when drag racing. You can always have it off on normnal driving just like a line lock.
That's what I was thinking.. And I won't be setting it very high until I get a new clutch at least.. Anyone know how they install? Like 5 min install or do I have to take things out to get where it goes?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
That's what I was thinking.. And I won't be setting it very high until I get a new clutch at least.. Anyone know how they install? Like 5 min install or do I have to take things out to get where it goes?
The one designed for the 5.0 is pretty much snap in. There's some finagling that has to be done with the switch but it's explained in the instructions that are available on the MSD site.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I know the one I installed on the cobra I had to cut the main coil line and tap into two wires on the ecu harness. Don't know what is required for the newer cars.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

I know the one I installed on the cobra I had to cut the main coil line and tap into two wires on the ecu harness. Don't know what is required for the newer cars.
Looks like it should all be plug and play minus a ground wire and a couple switches

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT