Will upgrading clutch void tranny warrenty? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Will upgrading clutch void tranny warrenty?

Any recommendations on a good clutch?
pliego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Re: Will upgrading clutch void tranny warrenty?

what are power plans? What be used for?

Either way here is two that are really good. Know plenty of people that run them in their 2011+ 5.0.
Ram 2011 5.0L Mustang Force 9.5 Dual Disc Clutch Kit -300 Series [75-2230] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Mcleod 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L RST Twin Disc Clutch Kit w/Aluminum Flywheel [6912-25+563408] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Asked a good friend who works at beach ford in virginia beach- he said it would not unless the clutch caused anything else in the tranny to break-ie if ur clutch broke and u were slamming gears and broke em- warranty voided
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure how true this is but a service writer at ford told me a guy burnt up his clutch in his cobra and replaced it himself with a better one then a few months later his tranny started going out and ford wouldn't fix it cause they blamed the aftermarket clutch...
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash
Not sure how true this is but a service writer at ford told me a guy burnt up his clutch in his cobra and replaced it himself with a better one then a few months later his tranny started going out and ford wouldn't fix it cause they blamed the aftermarket clutch...
First they would have to prove the clutch caused the problem and then hed be stuck with the bill if thats the case. Most dealers will look for any excuss to get out of warrenting something (costs them money then so if they can talk u out of it they will try) u have to know the stipulations within ur warrenty and follow threw with ur rights based on that dont let them bully u around (i used to work at a ford dealer. Theres a reason i dont anymore) or they will.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Makes since but if they say that and technically they should fix it but they lie and say you voided warranty then most people would most likely be like, well crap I messed it up, without actually fighting it....I hope I just made sense....but I don't know how it technically works so just be sure of the warranty rights like he said above
Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Wow thanks for all the info.....
pliego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
True that they have to prove it caused the issue. That means you need to get a lawyer, and guess who has deeper pockets. They hope you decide it's not worth the hassle. How do I know? I took Mazda to court on my tranny issues. I won but my uncle was my lawyer. Cost me 250, normally he would have charged 1,500.
Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, Accessory pkg 5, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill & Roush CAI(non tune). More to come
Devildog1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1679
True that they have to prove it caused the issue. That means you need to get a lawyer, and guess who has deeper pockets. They hope you decide it's not worth the hassle. How do I know? I took Mazda to court on my tranny issues. I won but my uncle was my lawyer. Cost me 250, normally he would have charged 1,500.
Exactly what I meant! Most people won't fight it cause it's more money!! Well said!!! I'm glad you came out on top though!!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Curious how does warranty work cost the dealer money? I thought they want all the business they can get. As far as proving a mod caused any problem, what exactly would that entail?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It would entail their word against yours and their checkbook vs urs... But not all dealers are bad- my dealer knows about my mods and i had an issue a while back amd they were cool about it- i let the overall manager of the place drive my car as he has a roush ( i drove it) and he is mad cool
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
First they would have to prove the clutch caused the problem and then hed be stuck with the bill if thats the case. Most dealers will look for any excuss to get out of warrenting something (costs them money then so if they can talk u out of it they will try) u have to know the stipulations within ur warrenty and follow threw with ur rights based on that dont let them bully u around (i used to work at a ford dealer. Theres a reason i dont anymore) or they will.
The first line is a bit of mythology but, the last sentence is really good advice (know your warranty). I'm not a resident of your country but, I've looked at this law (Magnusson-Moss, 1975).

Ford doesn't have to prove a goddamn thing as far as aftermarket hot rod parts voiding warranty provisions go. Magnusson-Moss isn't and never was intended to address the issue of aftemarket hot rod/upgrade parts and warranty. It was aimed squarely at preventing manufacturers from forcing people to buy their overpriced OEM maintenance items like filters and oil, etc.

Ford's warranty is on their own work, no one elses'. If you dick around with ANYTHING aftermarket and DIY like this, you can expect resistance if something breaks and that's completely justified.

Imagine yourself in this position: You're a contractor and you build a bathroom for a client. You charge a price the client pays and you do the work. Then the client comes back to you and says, "I didn't like what you did with the sink so, I bought another one and installed it myself. Now, pipe downstream of the sink leaks and you have to fix it, because you did my bathroom." That's essentially what you're doing when you go into a dealer claiming warranty with modifications on your car.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Good analagy- like it
Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO

The first line is a bit of mythology but, the last sentence is really good advice (know your warranty). I'm not a resident of your country but, I've looked at this law (Magnusson-Moss, 1975).

Ford doesn't have to prove a goddamn thing as far as aftermarket hot rod parts voiding warranty provisions go. Magnusson-Moss isn't and never was intended to address the issue of aftemarket hot rod/upgrade parts and warranty. It was aimed squarely at preventing manufacturers from forcing people to buy their overpriced OEM maintenance items like filters and oil, etc.

Ford's warranty is on their own work, no one elses'. If you dick around with ANYTHING aftermarket and DIY like this, you can expect resistance if something breaks and that's completely justified.

Imagine yourself in this position: You're a contractor and you build a bathroom for a client. You charge a price the client pays and you do the work. Then the client comes back to you and says, "I didn't like what you did with the sink so, I bought another one and installed it myself. Now, pipe downstream of the sink leaks and you have to fix it, because you did my bathroom." That's essentially what you're doing when you go into a dealer claiming warranty with modifications on your car.
True enough.. You play you pay..
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #15

Region: Canada
I agree. I think the closest you can get to having anything aftermarket covered under warranty is purchase the parts through the dealer and have the dealer install them. Then if there is any problem due to bad installation you can go back and at least get the labour paid for. And if there is a problem with the part itself the dealer might help you get coverage through the company that made the part.
The way I look at it is anything aftermarket has the potential to void certain parts of my warranty and I need to prepare myself to pay for the repairs if something is gonna break eventually.
Lucy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarman
Curious how does warranty work cost the dealer money? I thought they want all the business they can get. As far as proving a mod caused any problem, what exactly would that entail?
Labor loss. It is charged back to Ford where usually it would be put on the customer.
2012Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Ok so is the dealer out money or is Ford?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarman
Ok so is the dealer out money or is Ford?
Ford. But the dealer and Ford are pretty much a single unit. They lose money to warranty work, This is why they will try to avoid it and look at anything that will void the warranty.

If you bring your vehicle in for a repair that should be covered under warranty, the first thing the tech will do is look for modifications.
2012Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT