Ya probably cuz your battery came off the lot with diminished capacity and sometimes the vents go right by the posts and it'll vent fumes from inside right on the posts. Happens a lot with cars that might sit on the lot a long time before getting sold (mustangs, loaded models).
They get boosted and ran for a little while at a time and that's hard on the battery. I saw a worst-case scenario where the contacts welded themselves right on to the posts on an 09 edge and the whole cable assemblies had to be replaced. Pretty pricy.
Glad to hear you got it replaced! Keep an eye on your posts and service them every 15-20,000 kilometers (not sure what that is in miles!!)