Barton Industries shifter Bracket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

FXDWG11bm is unknown around these parts
Barton Industries shifter Bracket

Put the Barton shifter bracket in Saturday. Awesome improvement to shifting! Question though, did anyone else notice a change in audible transfer from the drivetrain? I assume its due to the fact this brakcet actually holds the shifter in place (hence better shifting), doesnt bother me, just curious to see if anyone else noticed a change......................

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

robesope is unknown around these parts
Re: Barton Industries shifter Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDWG11bm View Post
Put the Barton shifter bracket in Saturday. Awesome improvement to shifting! Question though, did anyone else notice a change in audible transfer from the drivetrain? I assume its due to the fact this brakcet actually holds the shifter in place (hence better shifting), doesnt bother me, just curious to see if anyone else noticed a change......................
FXDWG11bm, forgive my ignorance but I am far from a mechanic. Funny though, my dad was in a stock car racing team pit crew and always took me to the garage and pits during races. I watched them tear the car all the way down to the frame and tear down and rebuild engines...but it never rubbed-off on me; I went the "techy" path.

Now to my question. What exactly does this do for you?

I do find that it is difficult to shift into 2nd and 3rd but I found a TSB that is related to this and getting the maintenance done this Friday. They apparently have to replace the tranny fluid with fluid of less vescosity. Thanks!

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
Electronics Package w/ Rear Camera
HID Headlamps
Borla ATAK Axle Back Exhaust
robesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The issue is the stamped stock bracket with the rubber insert. It allows a lot of slop, hence the chance to miss the 2-3 when shifting quickly. So far I have had no missed shifts with it, here's a side by side pic, kinda explains itself......... it wasnt hard to install other than at 46 my close up vision isnt what it used to be, expecially stuffed under a car on jack stands in the driveway. Took about 45 minutes to install.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Never tried to attach a Youtube post, here it goes;

2012 Mustang GT recording shifting - YouTube
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

robesope is unknown around these parts

I can sympathize with you on the vision...I am 44 and have the same issue. Looks like it could be something I can do. I have access to a hydraulic car lift so that should make it easier. Thanks for the tip!

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
Electronics Package w/ Rear Camera
HID Headlamps
Borla ATAK Axle Back Exhaust
robesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

lonewolf26330 is unknown around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDWG11bm View Post
That is one of the complaints with the Barton shifter. It transfers more noise to the interior. I am guessing since it is a solid mounting surface the sound transfers more. I was going to go Barton but after reading about the MGW shifter, It looks a lot stronger. Not that I shift that hard, they seem to include a lot of extras with their kits like sound deadening.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

white2011gt is unknown around these parts

(I'm 49)....and the video shows some nice speed shifting I don't think I can do with the stock setup on my car, I also need to change to the better tranny fluid. Of course I mean transmission fluid...lol
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

deadsp0t is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf26330

That is one of the complaints with the Barton shifter. It transfers more noise to the interior. I am guessing since it is a solid mounting surface the sound transfers more. I was going to go Barton but after reading about the MGW shifter, It looks a lot stronger. Not that I shift that hard, they seem to include a lot of extras with their kits like sound deadening.
Any solid mounts will have a similar affect.. Trans mounts, motor mounts etc have similar issues
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2011gt View Post
(I'm 49)....and the video shows some nice speed shifting I don't think I can do with the stock setup on my car, I also need to change to the better tranny fluid. Of course I mean transmission fluid...lol
I could do that shifting before the bracket but it wasnt consistent, there were a few times of 2-3 where I hit in between the 3-5 gate and when that happens the spirited driving has to slow down. I figure that was due to the stock rubber piece that allowed way to much movement.......... as of now I havent had the transmission fluid changed

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Any solid mounts will have a similar affect.. Trans mounts, motor mounts etc have similar issues
I really dont have any complaints against the noise change, it was just different and was curious to see if that was normal. Actually sounds a little more like the old muscle cars, can hear a little more from the transmission
Old 01-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

deadsp0t is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDWG11bm

I could do that shifting before the bracket but it wasnt consistent, there were a few times of 2-3 where I hit in between the 3-5 gate and when that happens the spirited driving has to slow down. I figure that was due to the stock rubber piece that allowed way to much movement.......... as of now I havent had the transmission fluid changed

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

I really dont have any complaints against the noise change, it was just different and was curious to see if that was normal. Actually sounds a little more like the old muscle cars, can hear a little more from the transmission
I agree for me it's kind of like exhaust drone to a point, it's like the cost of admission when installing aftermarket exhaust if that makes sense
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Road Trip!

wnt2gofst is unknown around these parts

Very common. I loved my Barton shifter. Just hated the ball that came with it. Whil edrag racing and with windows up in TX summer. Hands get sweaty and with the smooth shifter my hand would slip off. I put stock one back on. ball that is.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

RicoStang is unknown around these parts

The Barton shifter and bracket may have been one of the most cost effective mods on my V6 and I've spent over 5k modding so far so that is saying something. It's excellent. The bracket is even better than the shifter, but the shifter is by far the best one out for these cars.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #12

rockman is unknown around these parts

--I just got the Barton Shifter/bracket combo---& my Bracket has a piece of RUBBER glued to it-I'm guessing the Rubber piece will ABSORB some of the NOISE/Vibration that folks are hearing after installing the Barton shifter bracket..??
Did YOUR Bracket have a RUBBER Piece glued to it??

2012 GT--6 spd.--373--silver--
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
--I just got the Barton Shifter/bracket combo---& my Bracket has a piece of RUBBER glued to it-I'm guessing the Rubber piece will ABSORB some of the NOISE/Vibration that folks are hearing after installing the Barton shifter bracket..??
Did YOUR Bracket have a RUBBER Piece glued to it??

2012 GT--6 spd.--373--silver--
Yes, a small (1" square or so) on the top. I was assuming the same thing, noise absorbtion. I do have a lot more noise transfer, nothing that bothers me but it does transfer more than stock. And the improvement in shifting is well work the added noise

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT