Throttle issue today - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Throttle issue today

I was on my way home today and when getting on the freeway, I downshifted and nailed it. The car bogged down like when traction control kicks in, but I had the traction control in sport mode. Any thoughts on this? I had no other issues while driving home, but I just don't like not knowing what happened. I looked at my gauges, but it all happened too fast. I am sure one of the lights came on, but I am not sure which one it was. Also, I didn't feel a loss of traction at all. Again, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Throttle issue today

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinglesson View Post
I was on my way home today and when getting on the freeway, I downshifted and nailed it. The car bogged down like when traction control kicks in, but I had the traction control in sport mode. Any thoughts on this? I had no other issues while driving home, but I just don't like not knowing what happened. I looked at my gauges, but it all happened too fast. I am sure one of the lights came on, but I am not sure which one it was. Also, I didn't feel a loss of traction at all. Again, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Hmm.. I get this problem where the "limp home" (wrench light) feature comes on and it runs real rough and is sluggish. Does that sound like your issue? If so I can probably guess the code, what mine spits out and tell you what my reader says. But I haven't found a solution, yet.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No lights stayed on, and I other issues heading home. It was just a split second. I drove the car a little later, and it responded fine. Just out of curiosity, what is your code?
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

P2135 it's a pain in the ***. It reads throttle position sensor from what I've found through re-search it looks I need to replace it. I haven't done so yet just something I've been delaying. Yeah I think yours is something different, but it sounds similar to what mine started doing. Hopefully it was a bug and nothing will go wrong.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Man I hear that. You know, I love these cars, but they are not care free.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Was it wet, did your tires spin and the traction control kicked in?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Dry, I don't think I had tire spin.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well that was my thought. hopefully it isn't anything wrong...I guess keep an eye on it and ask about it when you get your next scheduled maintenance done.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I felt like traction control, but I k ow it was in sport mode. What could cause that?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure, I didn't realize there was a traction mode I thought it was on or off...the sport mode is just for the feel of the car while steering if I'm understanding things right.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Did you hit the rev limiter? The car dies out for a second and then runs fine. I hit mine alot..lol, adding a shift light.
white2011gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That is a possibility, I was in 3rd at about 60 when I hit it. The thing is that it happened as soon as I hit the gas. Just reading these forums for too long and worried. I don't really get the traction modes. I know how to select them, but what is the difference? As I understand it, one click is just enough to spin the tires. Sport mode allows for a little more play, and hold for 5 seconds turns everything off. I don't think I have the steering modes, isn't that 2012+? Mine is a 2011.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

My dash lights up red when I red line. Never thought about the tune, maybe they lowered the limiter.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting, I didn't realize there were different modes to the traction button...I thought it was on or off and completely off when you hold it for 5-6 seconds.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

There is three modes, but the manual doesn't go into full detail. Also, from what I understand, not all cars are equipped with advance track or whatever they call it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
There is three modes, but the manual doesn't go into full detail. Also, from what I understand, not all cars are equipped with advance track or whatever they call it.
There are four modes, and the manual has a five page description of the AdvanceTrak system.

Both TCS and ESC are still on in sport mode (just a little sportier) and AdvanceTrak will intervene if it thinks you are spinning or slipping from a straight trajectory. I would venture to say you hit it hard enough to make AdvanceTrak kick in. This is why I turn it all the way off every time I start the car ... useless junk that has no business in a car like this.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Nap, i am too old for all this technology. Just give me a car with power, manual trans, posi rear, and I will do the rest.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Was tarction control for sure.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Man I hear that. You know, I love these cars, but they are not care free.
I know it kills me. For the most part the issues I've had have been minor/ easy DIY fixes. Just keep an eye on it that's all you can do.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
There are four modes, and the manual has a five page description of the AdvanceTrak system.

Both TCS and ESC are still on in sport mode (just a little sportier) and AdvanceTrak will intervene if it thinks you are spinning or slipping from a straight trajectory. I would venture to say you hit it hard enough to make AdvanceTrak kick in. This is why I turn it all the way off every time I start the car ... useless junk that has no business in a car like this.
True.. It kills these cars. But you might hurt your self with out it. So we can't have that happen.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I could opt out of seatbelts, airbags, esc and tcs in exchange for a full cage, seats and harnesses. It would be much safer... The only modern safety feature that I do like is abs, the rest of it is junk for morons that have no business driving on a public road.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I use to autocross, and you are right about ABS. I was curious to see the difference one day and unplugged the harness to disable the system. I can tell you first hand that a car is much faster around a course with ABS. Of course, I am also considering novice drivers.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I wish I could opt out of seatbelts, airbags, esc and tcs in exchange for a full cage, seats and harnesses. It would be much safer... The only modern safety feature that I do like is abs, the rest of it is junk for morons that have no business driving on a public road.
+11 my thoughts exactly, I can even do without the abs. You just can't buy cars like you used to...
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

You going to wear a full face helmet all the time in your cage car so, you don't die from depressed skull fracture when your bare head hits the cage tubes in a crash?
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
You going to wear a full face helmet all the time in your cage car so, you don't die from depressed skull fracture when your bare head hits the cage tubes in a crash?
No because when it's built properly you shouldn't even come close to hittin cage, look up Mickey Thompsons son Danny running his mustang at the salt flats and rolling it at over 260 mph and walked away with just a scratch on his leg...
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
If the crash is that severe, I doubt that a shoulder/lap belt and airbag is saving your *** either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT