Does everyone like there mt82 transmission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Does everyone like there mt82 transmission

I was just wondering after reading some forums and looking at some really nice coyotes and what many people have done to them, is the transmission that as bad as people say it is....i have 18000km on mine and i got it last may, its in storage now take it out if theres no salt or snow on the ground...i live in toronto canada
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I haven't had many problems with mine. My main issue is the cold weather which makes 1-2 and 2-3 shifts harder (and crunchy). Although, these shifts get smoother once its warmed up. I also used to have a problem with the 2-3 shift at the track...but I attribute that to driver error lol.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247
I haven't had many problems with mine. My main issue is the cold weather which makes 1-2 and 2-3 shifts harder (and crunchy). Although, these shifts get smoother once its warmed up. I also used to have a problem with the 2-3 shift at the track...but I attribute that to driver error lol.
Lol right on brother....mines exactly like that and my mechanic said exactly the same thing let it warm up.....he also suggested to change the tranny fluid ove to royal purple...he said it helps a lot and makes shift smoothly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Does everyone like there mt82 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
I was just wondering after reading some forums and looking at some really nice coyotes and what many people have done to them, is the transmission that as bad as people say it is....i have 18000km on mine and i got it last may, its in storage now take it out if theres no salt or snow on the ground...i live in toronto canada
On the whole, not really. If I had the funds I would swap it out for a T56 Magnum. I do have to say that the stock throws are relatively short, that is much improved from the Tremec in the 05-10 stangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
+1 and it's probably not you, swap the fluid out for AMSOIL MTG or Redline MTL and you'll be good.

Quote:
Lol right on brother....mines exactly like that and my mechanic said exactly the same thing let it warm up.....he also suggested to change the tranny fluid ove to royal purple...he said it helps a lot and makes shift smoothly
AMSOIL MTG is a much closer match to the factory spec and is considered by most to be the best fluid for the MT82. It is pricey, but you can sign up for their preferred customer program and buy stuff at wholesale cost. There has been some very extensive discussion about this on some other forums, if you look around you should be able to find it. If you can't, shoot me a PM and I'll hit you back with a link.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

On the whole, not really. If I had the funds I would swap it out for a T56 Magnum. I do have to say that the stock throws are relatively short, that is much improved from the Tremec in the 05-10 stangs.

+1 and it's probably not you, swap the fluid out for AMSOIL MTG or Redline MTL and you'll be good.

AMSOIL MTG is a much closer match to the factory spec and is considered by most to be the best fluid for the MT82. It is pricey, but you can sign up for their preferred customer program and buy stuff at wholesale cost. There has been some very extensive discussion about this on some other forums, if you look around you should be able to find it. If you can't, shoot me a PM and I'll hit you back with a link.
Sounds great man thank you.....i actually went with AMSOIL for the engine cause my mechanic said if you want the best amsoil is the way to go. I paid $140 for 12 quarts. I dont no if thats a good price but my mechanic cause hes a really good friend gave it to me for cost. I gotta look into to the transmission fluid
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Sounds great man thank you.....i actually went with AMSOIL for the engine cause my mechanic said if you want the best amsoil is the way to go. I paid $140 for 12 quarts. I dont no if thats a good price but my mechanic cause hes a really good friend gave it to me for cost. I gotta look into to the transmission fluid
Whether or not its a good price depends on which AMSOIL you went with.

I recently bought 4 gallons of AMSOIL 5w20 XL and paid $120 total that is enough for 2 oil changes. You are 4 quarts short of 2 changes.

Northern Virginia Mustang Club
Silver Mustang Registry #1045
2010 Brilliant Silver 4.0 V6 Traded and will be missed
2011 Performance White Premium GT 5.0 6MT, 19" Machined Wheels, 3.73 gears, GT500 Axle-Backs, Eibach Pro Springs, Dynojet #'s 387rwhp/380 tq.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star

Whether or not its a good price depends on which AMSOIL you went with.

I recently bought 4 gallons of AMSOIL 5w20 XL and paid $120 total that is enough for 2 oil changes. You are 4 quarts short of 2 changes.
I beleive it was 5w20 Synthetic signature series
Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

NOPE! I traded my 2011 manual for a 2012 auto.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I used castrol edge with syntec- one of my bros recommended it and so far its pretty good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-283821044.png
Views:	604
Size:	717.5 KB
ID:	39854  
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
There is a TSB out on this issue, I have an appointment tomorrow to get this done under warranty. See attached pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tsb-11-03-18.pdf (46.2 KB, 566 views)

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
Electronics Package w/ Rear Camera
HID Headlamps
Borla ATAK Axle Back Exhaust
robesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robesope

There is a TSB out on this issue, I have an appointment tomorrow to get this done under warranty. See attached pdf file
All they do is change the fluid. Do it yourself and put better stuff in.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious_rob
I used castrol edge with syntec- one of my bros recommended it and so far its pretty good
FYI - castrol is not a true synthetic, it's a refined conventional oil.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

I am a bit gun-shy when it comes to doing almost anything while I am under warranty. I feel comfortable doing an oil change but I am not sure about a transmission, I've never completed a transmission fluid change.

Is it easy?

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
Electronics Package w/ Rear Camera
HID Headlamps
Borla ATAK Axle Back Exhaust
robesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

As long as it keeps me from blowin my motor it could be chocate for all i care- actually has really good reviews online
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robesope
I am a bit gun-shy when it comes to doing almost anything while I am under warranty. I feel comfortable doing an oil change but I am not sure about a transmission, I've never completed a transmission fluid change.

Is it easy?
Similar to the engine. Drain plug on the bottom, fill plug near the top. There are a few write-ups around the web. Amsoil also guarantees their fluid will not void your warrantee.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I changed my trAnny fluid as well- it was easy as hell- buy the oil and an el cheapo kit it shouldnt take long
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I changed my trAnny fluid as well- it was easy as hell- buy the oil and an el cheapo kit it shouldnt take long
Did u notice a differance?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yea- the dang syrup i took out and replaced was ****ty- i have steeda triaxe and the new fluid and i have no issues at all- ita actually pretty nice- no complaints!!! And it was easy as efff!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh yea- the dang syrup i took out and replaced was ****ty- i have steeda triaxe and the new fluid and i have no issues at all- ita actually pretty nice- no complaints!!! And it was easy as efff!
Sounds great man thanks for the help
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

And Rob, before you changed out the fluid did have have any issues with the 1 - 2 shift, like hitting a notch? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It was like hitting a notch and it was terrible to shift in the mornings-hard as all heck
Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

And now it's gone?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was like hitting a notch and it was terrible to shift in the mornings-hard as all heck
What fluid did you use for the transmission?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

This is what me and my friends are using now- two s/c 2011's and my 100 shot 2011 gt/cs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2561000605.png
Views:	422
Size:	648.4 KB
ID:	39988  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is what me and my friends are using now- two s/c 2011's and my 100 shot 2011 gt/cs
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-3650-not.html

Good and bad on penzoil- i have had zero issues at all and have 7k on new fluid- including a trip from va beach to pensacola fl and back
Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
[QUOTE="Napoleon85"

they don't put the same fluid in that they took out they switch to a dual pump fluid I got mine changed and havnt had a single problem
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

My MT82 has been doing just fine. Past 12k miles with no issues... stock tranny fluid... no gear change crunching... pretty smooth throws and engagement. I have the MGW shifter, but it's not installed yet. I'll be surprised if the MGW makes it feel any better.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182 View Post
Quote:

they don't put the same fluid in that they took out they switch to a dual pump fluid I got mine changed and havnt had a single problem
If you have a Job2 2011 or any 2012, you already have this fluid in your MT82.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you have a Job2 2011 or any 2012, you already have this fluid in your MT82.
Job 2 would be starting from what build date? I have 4,500 miles and so far no issues... guess cuz I don't take it out much in the winter
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Job 2 would be starting from what build date? I have 4,500 miles and so far no issues... guess cuz I don't take it out much in the winter
Not sure off the top of my head. July or august IIRC.

Let me google that for you
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have a 2012 with less than 2000mi mine is rough from 1-2 and it won't go from 6-5 at highway speed. If I try to down shift it either pops out of 5th gear or just grinds and won't even go into gear. Have a service appointment coming up. Also doesn't matter if its cold or warm.
mknlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknlegs
I have a 2012 with less than 2000mi mine is rough from 1-2 and it won't go from 6-5 at highway speed. If I try to down shift it either pops out of 5th gear or just grinds and won't even go into gear. Have a service appointment coming up. Also doesn't matter if its cold or warm.
Ya man you need to get that checked out... 1 to 2 is normal when cold and 2 to 3 but it goes away when warmed up....im sure ford will take care of you.....any mods?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G

Ya man you need to get that checked out... 1 to 2 is normal when cold and 2 to 3 but it goes away when warmed up....im sure ford will take care of you.....any mods?
Zero mods as of now. The service manager said its the first one that he knows of that has the 6-5 shift issue. I'm not too worried about it. I've owned several ford vehicles and not once have I had any issues with them not standing behind the vehicle.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknlegs View Post
Zero mods as of now. The service manager said its the first one that he knows of that has the 6-5 shift issue. I'm not too worried about it. I've owned several ford vehicles and not once have I had any issues with them not standing behind the vehicle.
That service manager is either ignorant or a damn liar. The shift issues are well known at this point and there are multiple TSBs to address them.

That said, you're better off draining the fluid yourself and filling her up with MTG or MTL. Add a MGW shifter and you'll be golden. The Ford TSBs for this issue are generally regarded as "ineffective" by most in the community.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Which of the 2 fluids can be used year round?
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That service manager is either ignorant or a damn liar. The shift issues are well known at this point and there are multiple TSBs to address them.

That said, you're better off draining the fluid yourself and filling her up with MTG or MTL. Add a MGW shifter and you'll be golden. The Ford TSBs for this issue are generally regarded as "ineffective" by most in the community.
The service manager said he was well aware of the shift issues with these cars. He just hasn't heard of it being the 6-5 down shift. I'll bring it in let them try and them if it doesn't help I'll try the fluid change. After all if they can fix it, warranty work is free.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT