cat delete - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
cat delete

Does any one know the effect deleting the cats will have power and sound wise?
Supertzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
It will sound badass, not sure about hp gains although i heard the cat is pretty restrictive
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

it doesn't get real raspy and pop alot does it?
Supertzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
How easy it it to take them out? Can you do it or does a mechanic have to?
Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Its not had to take cats off handouts off road x pipe on. Jack front up and take them off. I swapped mine in about hour and half. That was jacking car up and letting it back down. It does help have two people. My wife helped me. And she don't get dirty for nothing.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Its not had to take cats off handouts off road x pipe on. Jack front up and take them off. I swapped mine in about hour and half. That was jacking car up and letting it back down. It does help have two people. My wife helped me. And she don't get dirty for nothing.
What if I have the stock v6 exhaust?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: cat delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertzi View Post
Does any one know the effect deleting the cats will have power and sound wise?
More exhaust flow = more power and more sound. It does get a little raspy, but all modular motors are like that. Mine pops a bit, but it did with the Roush axlebacks before I put the offroad x pipe on. I don't think the lack of cats made it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
What if I have the stock v6 exhaust?
I don't think anyone makes a V6 off-road x-pipe. Probably a general assumption that people who are willing to do this level of modification are going to buy GTs. You could always gut your cats if you really want to though ...
Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

More exhaust flow = more power and more sound. It does get a little raspy, but all modular motors are like that. Mine pops a bit, but it did with the Roush axlebacks before I put the offroad x pipe on. I don't think the lack of cats made it worse.

I don't think anyone makes a V6 off-road x-pipe. Probably a general assumption that people who are willing to do this level of modification are going to buy GTs. You could always gut your cats if you really want to though ...
So more than likely with my stock v6 exhaust i won't be able to take out the cat?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution

So more than likely with my stock v6 exhaust i won't be able to take out the cat?
You could take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut the cats out and weld in pipes
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Don't do it, it'll **** with your car and u might need to tune. I was thinking of doing it but B&D racing (they specialize only in ford muscle cars) told me that my car will run like absolute **** and IF I gain any power it'll be very minimal and towards higher rpms. Just do what I did. Muffler delete. Sounds great and loud as ****. I'm considering removing the resonators in a couple weeks. I also have other mods. Good luck.
BossFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossFiveOh
Don't do it, it'll **** with your car and u might need to tune. I was thinking of doing it but B&D racing (they specialize only in ford muscle cars) told me that my car will run like absolute **** and IF I gain any power it'll be very minimal and towards higher rpms. Just do what I did. Muffler delete. Sounds great and loud as ****. I'm considering removing the resonators in a couple weeks. I also have other mods. Good luck.
You can delete your cats without needing a tune!.. It'll just throw some codes!.. I have done this several times and some friends that have done the same on cars other than just Mustangs!.. Your two best mods to do, as far as the exhaust performance is concerned, is removing the cats and adding headers!..

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

The only time you will really need a tune is if you did headers, off road pipe (no cats)!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Tell them they are retarded. Guys are deleting cats and gaining 15whp without tune. If you have no tune you will throw a code cause the rear O2 sensors. Either way it will run fine. I have no cats on either of the 5.0s.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Tell them they are retarded. Guys are deleting cats and gaining 15whp without tune. If you have no tune you will throw a code cause the rear O2 sensors. Either way it will run fine. I have no cats on either of the 5.0s.
U seriously believe that a cat delete on a stock exhaust system gave you 15rwhp? C'mon on now. That's a little hard to believe. Not saying you're liar, just kinda hard to believe.
BossFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

U seriously believe that a cat delete on a stock exhaust system gave you 15rwhp? C'mon on now. That's a little hard to believe. Not saying you're liar, just kinda hard to believe.
Believe it, it's true. 15-20 rwhp gains are typical on the coyote and there are plenty of dyno sheets to prove it.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Napoleon
I have a kick *** sounding Borla with X pipe.If I pull my X and put on offroad will it fu*k my sweet exhaust sound up I already got.I am really not wanting to loose how great it is now.Sounds like a beast and just awesome.Alot of mustangs and 5.0's around my area and people tell me all the time it's the best one they ever heard.Loud accept when it's just idling.I waqnt the gains,but will be sick if it truly changes it much.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Napoleon
I have a kick *** sounding Borla with X pipe.If I pull my X and put on offroad will it fu*k my sweet exhaust sound up I already got.I am really not wanting to loose how great it is now.Sounds like a beast and just awesome.Alot of mustangs and 5.0's around my area and people tell me all the time it's the best one they ever heard.Loud accept when it's just idling.I waqnt the gains,but will be sick if it truly changes it much.
It will make it sound completely different. Taking the cats out is removing the most restrictive part of the exhaust. Look at my exhaust videos on my sig, there are ones with the Roush before and after the off-road X and they sound like two different cars.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

BBK 2011-2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 Offroad Short X Pipe [BBK-1462] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

No bull****, I just saw them post that on FB and came here to post that link.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Haha same here
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT