OEM Mufflers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
OEM Mufflers

Just wondering if there is even a market out there for OEM mufflers?? I have mine up for sale for a week, without a bite..Has anyone had any success?? Thanks
Musskao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Do you have them priced cheap? I can't imagine too many folks want those unless they are looking to fix a wreck and want to stay all stock, or something like that
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well I have them for $100.00. Maybe i need to come down.. Only 900 miles on them, and they have been polished.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2291439501.png
Views:	341
Size:	815.8 KB
ID:	40430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Honestly, for 100$ id just keep them... original parts increase resale value bigtime.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Yea I never even bothered to try to sell them LOL... 95% of ppl getting a new 5.0 are taking theirs off
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Seriously, toss them in the attic and forget about them for 30 to 40 years. Lol. By then they will be priceless!
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8
Seriously, toss them in the attic and forget about them for 30 to 40 years. Lol. By then they will be priceless!
Sooooooo true....i see what oollllddddd oem parts sell for and its amazing
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I think I will be holding on to them..Thanks for the advise..
Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Wrap them in plastic wrap. Preserves them better
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Road Trip!

My stock g8 mufflers sold for 250 plus shipping.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
My stock g8 mufflers sold for 250 plus shipping.

To the OP, there is a market for these parts for sure. Just have to wait for the right buyer. Sometimes that can take a bit
Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: OEM Mufflers

There is not as big of a market for these as the 05-10 gt exhaust. Remember, the 05-09 stock GT mufflers were not nearly as terrible, and were a huge upgrade for V6 owners who only had a single muffler.

The fact that these mufflers are pretty much the worst thing to happen to a Mustang since the Mustang II, and that the V6 is coming with dual exhaust already, makes the market soft this early in. I'm in the same boat with my stock H-Pipe and cats. They have value for sure, but there is no market at this time. I literally have half a garage full of stock parts that nobody wants
Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I do to. But I always keep everything off my cars. Air intakes, mufflers cats etc... it comes down to resale value retention and having those parts just in case you do find a market later. My 96 mustang sold as is and I've got mufflers, the stock H pipe, stock springs, shocks and struts, control arms, and even seats. etc etc. Already been offered serious cash for the seat brackets. When I bought my mach 1 I had everything it rolled off the showroom floor with except for the original oil filter, air filter and tires (fluuids too but duh...) I've swapped out lots of stuff but I've kept everything just in case I own the car long enough it goes into collector status. All stock cars are worth more on the market, having everything down to the original windscreen wipers can make a big difference later.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
I do to. But I always keep everything off my cars. Air intakes, mufflers cats etc... it comes down to resale value retention and having those parts just in case you do find a market later. My 96 mustang sold as is and I've got mufflers, the stock H pipe, stock springs, shocks and struts, control arms, and even seats. etc etc. Already been offered serious cash for the seat brackets. When I bought my mach 1 I had everything it rolled off the showroom floor with except for the original oil filter, air filter and tires (fluuids too but duh...) I've swapped out lots of stuff but I've kept everything just in case I own the car long enough it goes into collector status. All stock cars are worth more on the market, having everything down to the original windscreen wipers can make a big difference later.
+1
Old 02-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Meh, my no option 5.0 is never going to be worth putting original parts on. They built tons of cars just like mine.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Meh, my no option 5.0 is never going to be worth putting original parts on. They built tons of cars just like mine.
Haha u haven't studied the market at all huh. Search for classic cars that have been retromoded note the price then search the same one that's original numbers matching. U could see as much as a $25k price diference depending on the car.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Personally, I agree with u! I prefer a car with modern mods or performance mods, but aparently, those decrease the value.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

I saved the mufflers off of my daughter's 04 Mach 1. I figured 1/2 of the 4.6 is 2.3 so they will work on my 4 cylinder Ranger pickup and increase my truck's power to at least 1/2 of the Mach I's power, right?

Seriously 20-30 years down the road, someone restoring a Mustang would probably pay a pretty penny for original mufflers. You won't get rich by any means, but it's worthwhile if you have a place to keep them for that long.

P.S. You should see my garage. The wife calls me a hoarder and threatens to call the American Pickers on me all the time.

Storing them in plastic isn't a bad idea, just make sure to vacuum seal them and throw in some silica gel to remove any moisture.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

I sold my oem low mileage mufflers recently to a friend who is returning to Kuwait (he's a citizen)and needed a stock set of mufflers. I asked for $50 and he gave me $100...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

After tripping over my stock mufflers 3 times I recycled them !!
white2011gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

LOL....
Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah took mine to the scrap yard
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
Haha u haven't studied the market at all huh. Search for classic cars that have been retromoded note the price then search the same one that's original numbers matching. U could see as much as a $25k price diference depending on the car.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Personally, I agree with u! I prefer a car with modern mods or performance mods, but aparently, those decrease the value.
No, I have studied the market plenty. What I was getting at is that I don't think late model cars will ever be worth the kind of money that cars from the 60s and earlier are worth now. There are a couple factors that I think contribute to this:
  1. The increased proportional cost in obtaining the car new. Look up the cost in 1964 to buy a new Mustang compared with the median household income of that time. Do the same for a 2012 Mustang. There is a lot less margin for growth in value.
  2. The cars are not built to last anymore. This is not a surprise when you have terms like "planned obsolescence" in the engineering vocabulary, coupled with the increased demand to have more features for the same or less price. People still expect a high performance car, but now they want it to have voice guided navigation, voice controlled entertainment systems, ABS, TCS, ESC, heated leather seats, ten airbags, programmable interior lighting, and a blowjob machine. Couple this with the decline of Americans (and American companies) that pride themselves in creating a quality product, and the outsourcing of labor to foreign countries that care even less, and you have a "feature packed" car built with cheap parts that are only designed to last for a relatively short period of time.
  3. Most importantly, I feel this market is waning. There is a huge mindset shift in the current and upcoming generations that have been conditioned by the mainstream media and large corporations to treat everything as disposable and throw it away for a new model after a short period of time. Old things to this generation are regarded as useless, instead of highly valuable like the older (pre-baby boomer) generations. This is a byproduct of the "me mentality" and "instant gratification."
Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Couldn't have said it better...
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I think you might be right although finding stock examples may be tough. Idk
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I think you might be right although finding stock examples may be tough. Idk
I think finding a stock example of a 2011 Mustang GT in 20-30 years will be very tough, especially if you want one that runs and is in good shape. That situation is definitely compounded by the factors I listed above. The million dollar question seems to be, will anyone care? There isn't a huge market for numbers matching fox body 5.0s, and that model has had 20-30 years to mature. It was also a "return of the 5.0/302." Most people that want one, just want to hack it up and turn it into a race car.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

The mustang has never been meant to last! Since 1964.5 the mustang was designed as a cheap sports car. People thought back then, why would this car be worth anything - the next model is better. A popular car then is a popular car now; a poplular car now is a poplular car later. There will ALWAYS be a colector for mustangs especially the popular designes. Nobody thinks the fox body mustang is sexy looking! Its only poplular for its small lightweight dimentions. Who cares about a stock numbers matching fox?! Well there are a few colectors, but I'm sure they already have what they want. Now these newer mustangs have a popular design and have fewer parts that will rust and fall apart. Even when ford discontinues to produce a part, another company will take over. Like AM or summit or LMR. You have a very contemporary opinion, you need to imagine yourself in the 60s thinking the same thing.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I understamd why people think collector car status will never happen for late model cars. But it will, and here's why. While its true, our generations are subject to some badly built vehicles but do you really think the sn95 and a s197 cars are that badly built? Disagree. Part 2. My generation (1988) ranks among the most nostalgic this planet has ever seen. The market for cool muscle cars from my youth will exist in the future. 3. The american musclecars of today have something that cars around the world do not have. An.X factor. A fun to drive mentality you just don't get from the german precision of porsche and M cars, and the technical sophistication and computer guided trickery of the asian imports fail to deliver. Its a passion and soul thing that car reviewers around the world see in american cars. Finally, its the energy crisis. Someday, the muscle cars of today will be sought after for being known as some of the greatest petrol powered cars of all time. Someday the mustang may be hydrogen or even fully electric with a fake noise generated from it. It may be lighter, clip of 9 second quarters, handle like a dream and be faster than better built than anything built today... but its like playing a racing simulation compared to the real thing. Pulsing, throbbing, pissed off V8s with a desire to turn as much gas into as many grins as possible. And that's where the real value lies hidden. Collector cars are just getting started...
Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

OK ... Cheers to you hopeless optimists. I hope your "cheap" $40k Mustang is worth half that in thirty years (which would be a huge loss adjusted for inflation).
Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Bravo! Well said dabluedude.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Tx
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

I think it will happen too.From what I have seen throughout my lifetime I believe they will have a valid "Historical" value and probably a nonsensical "Hysterical" value as well.

Historical of course for those who wish to own and preserve a period perfect piece of the Mustang history. These people will pay good money for those accurate and period perfect Mustangs.

And Hysterical for those people who cannot tell the difference between something being of actual historical value and being just plain old. This group will pay good money for anything old Mustang, it does not matter how hacked up or modified, they think that if it says or is associated with a Mustang, then it's worth the price.

Example: There exists a group of "Hysterical" people in my town. They want to and have spent a fortune on an old swimming pool because it "Is one of only 3 ever built."
Never once did they research "WHY" there were only 3 built. (Poor design, plagued with nothing but problems for most of its miserable existence, hence they built 3 then stopped building them.)

I once observed these intelligentsia, spending $30,000 for a "study" just to see if it was worth saving. Naturally, since they choose the architects and engineers doing the study, and expressed their desires to "save" the pool, of course the "report" was favorable for saving it. I bet those architects and engineers laughed all the way to the bank.
They did this huge waste of money while the infrastructure continued deteriorating into a beyond repair condition all around them.

Now that there is an example of "Hysterical" value my friends.
Any old broken down piece of junk that can command that kind of money and attention while vastly more important issues are left by the wayside, just cannot be described in any other manner.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

There will always be collector cars. It is hard to say just what trends the collector market will follow. Of current Mustangs, I would guess the Shelby's will hold their collector value as good as any of them...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT