Rear brake upgrade? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Rear brake upgrade?

Does anyone know if there's a brembo kit for the rear of my '11 5.0? I'm just looking for bigger rotors and a bigger caliper.. Preferably matching the front calipers.. And I'd also like to do either slotted or slotted drilled rotors all around.. Anyone know what's ours there? I have factory brembo btw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Don't think you will find rear brake rotors the same size as front. That would change the brake balance and put too much stopping force on the rear. There is a reason the brakes re bigger in the front. They handle 70 percent of the braking. Having more braking up front helps with weight transfer towards front while braking and increases load on contact patch at tire. All good things. Too much braking in back would cause per mature wheel lockup in rear and just more skid. The brake forces are best used in front. Look at a motorcycle. They have independent front and rear brakes with the rear being much smaller. I rode motorcycles on the street and trail for years and your braking is mostly done with the front. The back is there as more of an assist but not the main source of stopping the vehicle.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Rear brake upgrade?

Oh I think it's out there for us.Alot of people do brembo all around on performance cars.You would have the look and performance and braking remaining the same as for front rear balance.The rotor could be slotted all around.Naturally would not be as big as the up fronts probably.I am thinking 4 piston in rear...Equates to smaller rotor I think.If you dragstrip you may want to reconsider.I would for sure get a linelock if I had brembo rears and wanted to still hit the drag strip...JMO....thinking one day I will do brembo rear too,but install linelock as well....If you do this keep us posted and pics or it never happened..lol
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Wilwood has a 4 wheel big brake package. They look awesome but are really expensive. A Google search should find them.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
dellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
Does anyone know if there's a brembo kit for the rear of my '11 5.0? I'm just looking for bigger rotors and a bigger caliper.. Preferably matching the front calipers.. And I'd also like to do either slotted or slotted drilled rotors all around.. Anyone know what's ours there? I have factory brembo btw...
hey hey brotha, just installed drilled and slotted fron R1 concepts. they are not the same size but look killer none the less. cali's i havent been able to find yet !!!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
Don't think you will find rear brake rotors the same size as front. That would change the brake balance and put too much stopping force on the rear. There is a reason the brakes re bigger in the front. They handle 70 percent of the braking. Having more braking up front helps with weight transfer towards front while braking and increases load on contact patch at tire. All good things. Too much braking in back would cause per mature wheel lockup in rear and just more skid. The brake forces are best used in front. Look at a motorcycle. They have independent front and rear brakes with the rear being much smaller. I rode motorcycles on the street and trail for years and your braking is mostly done with the front. The back is there as more of an assist but not the main source of stopping the vehicle.
I didnt say anything about the rotors being the same size..
Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My mistake. I thought you meant same size when you wanted them to match the front
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
My mistake. I thought you meant same size when you wanted them to match the front
No the calipers..
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

There are front and rears from all the mfg's. I'm running SSBC's on mine....14" in front and 13" in the rear. Just check out the home pages of the type you are interested in. Brembo, Welwood, Baer, SSBC to name a few.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

I'm sure it's out there ... just don't expect any braking improvement unless you have some suspension mods that keep it from nosediving.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That's some of the first mods I did...all my suspension and brakes. Now I can start on some more engine mods...heads, cams, intakes and such.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT