There isn't any warranty approved headers is there? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
There isn't any warranty approved headers is there?

Just curious.
Xofferick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Doubt it. Haven't herd tell of any.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: There isn't any warranty approved headers is there?

The ones on the 11-12 are a header to a degree....sure better than the average manifolds,but do not think you will find any that ford will like you putting on if thats what you mean.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

I would ask a dealer...if they were dealer installed maybe?
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #5

Region: California

Headers have no effect on any warranty except, of course, for the headers themselves (If a Hooker header cracks, don't expect Ford to fix it). There's no such thing as warranty-UNapproved headers, so unless Ford makes a set and puts them on the car, no header will be covered by anything but that manufacturer's warranty. They also won't void you new-car warranty unless they or their installation causes a problem.
jbt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt56
Headers have no effect on any warranty except, of course, for the headers themselves (If a Hooker header cracks, don't expect Ford to fix it). There's no such thing as warranty-UNapproved headers, so unless Ford makes a set and puts them on the car, no header will be covered by anything but that manufacturer's warranty. They also won't void you new-car warranty unless they or their installation causes a problem.
Being that you will likely need a tune with a header change, you'll be voiding the warranty that way. Im pretty sure we've already established that a tune will be required when changing headersz
Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Being that you will likely need a tune with a header change, you'll be voiding the warranty that way. Im pretty sure we've already established that a tune will be required when changing headersz
Shorty header don't need a tune as they will not move ur o2 sensors.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo

Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo

Needing a tune or not has little to do with the placement of the sensors!.. It actually has to do with the flow of the exahaust and possibly running a lean condition, with out a proper tune!..

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Needing a tune or not has little to do with the placement of the sensors!.. It actually has to do with the flow of the exahaust and possibly running a lean condition, with out a proper tune!..
What year is your car?..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
It has to do with the O2 sensors. They are moved back and read different a/f cause of more free flowing exhaust.

BBK LT headers will not need a tune. They will make more power with a tune. But will not throw no codes without a tune. They place sensors in stock positions. A tune just shuts them sensors off.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
It has to do with the O2 sensors. They are moved back and read different a/f cause of more free flowing exhaust.

BBK LT headers will not need a tune. They will make more power with a tune. But will not throw no codes without a tune. They place sensors in stock positions. A tune just shuts them sensors off.
A tune in itself will not turn the sensors off!.. You can on the other hand turn them off with a tuner!.. Only recommend doing that if you don't have cats on your car!.. Also if you have an o/r mid pipe, with or without a cat back system, then I would highly recommend getting a tune if your going with LT headers!..
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
A tune in itself will not turn the sensors off!.. You can on the other hand turn them off with a tuner!.. Only recommend doing that if you don't have cats on your car!.. Also if you have an o/r mid pipe, with or without a cat back system, then I would highly recommend getting a tune if your going with LT headers!..
I suspect that doing that would change the checksum in the ECU and Ford would be able to tell you modified it.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Quote:

Are you really that anal. Yes a tunerwill shut them off. Now 99% of people shut them off in your tune. As it is in the software. Now you do not need a tune with BBK LT headers on a new 5.0. You also do not need to shut the o2 sensors off. How do I know. Cause I owed the car with that set up. Being you don't own one or one with that setup. Well then shut up cause you don't know what you are talking about. You always come to this section compare to your car and what now. They are far from the same.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I suspect that doing that would change the checksum in the ECU and Ford would be able to tell you modified it.
Yes they would. Bbk made their headers so you didn't need a tune for a reason. So it wouldn't void warranty. So you don't have to shut o2 sensors off.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Thanks for the info. I will have to look into the BBK headers.
Xofferick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Are you really that anal. Yes a tunerwill shut them off. Now 99% of people shut them off in your tune. As it is in the software. Now you do not need a tune with BBK LT headers on a new 5.0. You also do not need to shut the o2 sensors off. How do I know. Cause I owed the car with that set up. Being you don't own one or one with that setup. Well then shut up cause you don't know what you are talking about. You always come to this section compare to your car and what now. They are far from the same.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Yes they would. Bbk made their headers so you didn't need a tune for a reason. So it wouldn't void warranty. So you don't have to shut o2 sensors off.
First off it's not being anal when I'm just giving straight forward facts!.. Which clearly you can not!.. I never said that you need a tune with LT headers!.. Just that it is recommended mostly to keep from running a lean condition!.. And mostly if you also have a o/r mid pipe!.. In other words no cats!.. Running without cats can also cause bit of a lean condition!.. With these two things its best to get a tune to be on the safe side!.. I don't need to own a new 5.0 to know that!.. The principles behind exhaust systems are the same no matter what year, make, and model car you have!.. Clearly some thing you don't know!.. So perhaps you need to shut up!..

And yes you are right that you don't have to turn off your O2 sensors!.. The only reason I recommend doing it is if your running with out cats (what I said earlier in this thread)!.. And that is to just keep your Check Engine Light from popping on!.. Other wise running with the factory cats, or a set of high flow cats, will keep that light from popping off too!..
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

First off it's not being anal when I'm just giving straight forward facts!.. Which clearly you can not!.. I never said that you need a tune with LT headers!.. Just that it is recommended mostly to keep from running a lean condition!.. And mostly if you also have a o/r mid pipe!.. In other words no cats!.. Running without cats can also cause bit of a lean condition!.. With these two things its best to get a tune to be on the safe side!.. I don't need to own a new 5.0 to know that!.. The principles behind exhaust systems are the same no matter what year, make, and model car you have!.. Clearly some thing you don't know!.. So perhaps you need to shut up!..

And yes you are right that you don't have to turn off your O2 sensors!.. The only reason I recommend doing it is if your running with out cats (what I said earlier in this thread)!.. And that is to just keep your Check Engine Light from popping on!.. Other wise running with the factory cats, or a set of high flow cats, will keep that light from popping off too!..
He's right.. Your in the wrong section
Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I agree with wnt2gofst here. And just to state a fact from personal experience when I installed my SW LT's and o/r x pipe did not have the correct tune at the time was just tuned for cai and boss mani and drove over 250 miles and didn't throw any codes. With out the correct tune the car ran sluggish compared to having the correct tune. Just a lil food for thought
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT