Bama/Steeda - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Bama/Steeda

I've been afraid of pulling the trigger of doing this even though American Muscle has a warranty for the #8 issue... but I wouldn't mind more throttle response and a throatier growl... but I want to hear more input on this setup... I don't care if this setup isn't the most aggressive out there, I just want a "safer" tune that'll make a difference in power
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2
I've been afraid of pulling the trigger of doing this even though American Muscle has a warranty for the #8 issue... but I wouldn't mind more throttle response and a throatier growl... but I want to hear more input on this setup... I don't care if this setup isn't the most aggressive out there, I just want a "safer" tune that'll make a difference in power
That's what I have and love it.. And I love having the peace of mind in the #8 warranty..
Old 02-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'm runnin the 93 steeda tune and its great no complaints at all! As far as I know steeda has yet to have any # 8 failures or problems the tuner Gus has been great about everything I have needed. Either way you go your golden IMO!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
There is a thread here somewhere where there was an issue with #8 and the AM reps came on promptly and verified that they knew if the issue and were prepared to honor the warranty. AM is a site sponsor here and their reps are great and easy to contact.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It'd be nice if we actually got a follow up on that particular individual. The thread was called Blown up 2011 but it got closed before we could hear back from the op.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Do some research on other forums and you will find two things. Guys with basic bolt ons like AM/Bama tunes. Yet they don't perform as good as some other tunes out there. Then you will find that there is some guys who hate them and had issues. You will find the drag racers don't like them cause there is power left on the table compared to others. Mainly cause they are pretty safe tunes.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Bama/Steeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Do some research on other forums and you will find two things. Guys with basic bolt ons like AM/Bama tunes. Yet they don't perform as good as some other tunes out there. Then you will find that there is some guys who hate them and had issues. You will find the drag racers don't like them cause there is power left on the table compared to others. Mainly cause they are pretty safe tunes.
This is pretty much spot on. I recommend the Bama tunes to people because they are safe and you can get free updates as you add mods. Sure, there are other tunes out there which are far more aggressive, but I think you would be best going to a shop that has Coyote experience and getting a CDT over one of these aggressive mail-order tunes. I've been happy with the service and support that I have received from Bama (I had one of his tunes before he partnered with AM and he was great to work with back then) and American Muscle. They always answer the phone and reply to emails and PMs. I don't think there is better service to be had in the Mustang community.

Regarding the infamous #8 issue, it's really a bunch of FUD IMO. There are very few confirmed cases, and Bama/AM has made it right every time. There are a few cases of people losing #8 on a stock engine, but once again very hard to confirm. There have been engine failures or other major problems with most other tuners too, but you'll have to dig deep to find anything on them since it's been swept under the rug pretty well.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

That's what I have and love it.. And I love having the peace of mind in the #8 warranty..
Where does it state that they give warranty for #8?
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO View Post
Where does it state that they give warranty for #8?
Let me google that for you

lead to...

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...nty-2011gt.pdf

It's also been discussed about seventy billion times on every single Mustang forum in existence. We don't mind helping you out, but please at least give a smidgeon of effort for find the info you're looking for before asking us to do it for you.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Let me google that for you

lead to...

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...nty-2011gt.pdf

It's also been discussed about seventy billion times on every single Mustang forum in existence. We don't mind helping you out, but please at least give a smidgeon of effort for find the info you're looking for before asking us to do it for you.
Thank you lmao
Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is pretty much spot on. I recommend the Bama tunes to people because they are safe and you can get free updates as you add mods. Sure, there are other tunes out there which are far more aggressive, but I think you would be best going to a shop that has Coyote experience and getting a CDT over one of these aggressive mail-order tunes. I've been happy with the service and support that I have received from Bama (I had one of his tunes before he partnered with AM and he was great to work with back then) and American Muscle. They always answer the phone and reply to emails and PMs. I don't think there is better service to be had in the Mustang community.

Regarding the infamous #8 issue, it's really a bunch of FUD IMO. There are very few confirmed cases, and Bama/AM has made it right every time. There are a few cases of people losing #8 on a stock engine, but once again very hard to confirm. There have been engine failures or other major problems with most other tuners too, but you'll have to dig deep to find anything on them since it's been swept under the rug pretty well.
Yea that sounds pretty good, I'm pretty big on warranty as this my first new car/mustang and I don't have deep pockets for a new engine.... plus I got a wicked fast car compared to my ricer friends/acquaintances LOL so I'm not worried about having tunes that make me 0.2 secs faster
Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Just got my steeda cai, and Bama tuner last night.... I have a dumb question, Im gonna go with the 91 performance tune... I already use 93 octane fuel since day 1... is it OK to keep using 93 octane fuel on a 91 performance tune? Vs 91 octane fuel??
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2
Just got my steeda cai, and Bama tuner last night.... I have a dumb question, Im gonna go with the 91 performance tune... I already use 93 octane fuel since day 1... is it OK to keep using 93 octane fuel on a 91 performance tune? Vs 91 octane fuel??
It will be fine using 93 on a 91 on tune. It will cause it to be slightly rich but will not hurt it at all. Just don't run a anything less then 91.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
The highest we have is 92 up here and that's on base but the car runs better on 92 then 91 but its better to be safe because there is no way to tell for sure if it really is 91 like the pump sticker states it is
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

It will be fine using 93 on a 91 on tune. It will cause it to be slightly rich but will not hurt it at all. Just don't run a anything less then 91.
Awesome, thanks I wanna run the 91 tune regularly and run the 93 tune sometimes if I need it... gonna install tonight after I get home from work
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

I've never tuned before and new to mustangs altogether.... putting higher octane fuel like 93 on a lower tune like 89 or 91 and its running more rich, does the factory tune on 93 octane run rich as well?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

An 87 tune is going to be tuned slightly fat to hold combustion temps down. Throwing 93 in there isn't necessarily going to make it fatter.

All depends on the tuners choices but, mainly, running higher octane fuel in a lower octane tune wastes money and can result in slightly reduced performance over the prescribed octane level for the tune.

It's really splitting hairs lengthwise, though.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
An 87 tune is going to be tuned slightly fat to hold combustion temps down. Throwing 93 in there isn't necessarily going to make it fatter.

All depends on the tuners choices but, mainly, running higher octane fuel in a lower octane tune wastes money and can result in slightly reduced performance over the prescribed octane level for the tune.

It's really splitting hairs lengthwise, though.
When I burn 93 on my 87 tune performance seems a little better and mileage per gallon goes up.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #19
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Don't **** around......plug in that race tune one time and you will forget about those other tunes real quick.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Mine surges forward at a stop when in gear. Almost rear ended someone in a drive through, but I can switch tunes on the fly so I do use it sometimes.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well I finally got it tuned and took it for a slight run... roads aren't that great at the moment so I couldn't get a good feel of power improvement yet but I felt more tq over 3k rpms.. I'm running the 91 tune for now, but I noticed the miles to empty for the fuel pretty much doubled !! Is that normal?? On almost a full tank it says right now 343 to empty... before, after filling my tank it used to say 202 miles to empty....
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Well I finally got it tuned and took it for a slight run... roads aren't that great at the moment so I couldn't get a good feel of power improvement yet but I felt more tq over 3k rpms.. I'm running the 91 tune for now, but I noticed the miles to empty for the fuel pretty much doubled !! Is that normal?? On almost a full tank it says right now 343 to empty... before, after filling my tank it used to say 202 miles to empty....
It just reset the running average that is used to calculate that. 202 miles on a full tank? That's pretty terrible LOL, you must drive it hard all the time.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It just reset the running average that is used to calculate that. 202 miles on a full tank? That's pretty terrible LOL, you must drive it hard all the time.
I drive it hard enough yea but I don't abuse all the time, but yea 202 miles at best... as far as the screen tells me, I figured this was normal cuz the tank isn't that big.... but I guess ill test it with time, but I barely have time to drive it LOL... so I guess ill know in about a month
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I drive it hard enough yea but I don't abuse all the time, but yea 202 miles at best... as far as the screen tells me, I figured this was normal cuz the tank isn't that big.... but I guess ill test it with time, but I barely have time to drive it LOL... so I guess ill know in about a month
Its a 16 gallon tank ... that's 12.6MPG.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that's about right... ur on point there ... guess I have a heavy foot, plus I always drive local.... I hope I do get mpgs after the tune tho... if not, oh well... didn't get a mustang for that...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea that's about right... ur on point there ... guess I have a heavy foot, plus I always drive local.... I hope I do get mpgs after the tune tho... if not, oh well... didn't get a mustang for that...
Lol I know what you mean. I drive mine pretty hard too but average about 20MPG. I think I would have to floor it from each red light to get 12MPG
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
In city average 15 to 17 on highway 23
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
When I burn 93 on my 87 tune performance seems a little better and mileage per gallon goes up.
You'd need a pretty well instrumented test to verify this but, it isn't impossible. As I said, it all depends on the tuners choices and what makes 93, 93 in your area. There's many ways to hit that magic # and some are good for performance and some less so.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT