Exhaust questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Exhaust questions

I've decided for money reasons I'm going to get seperately the BBK cat deletes and get a cat back x-pipe. I'll get one now one later. My questions are:
Which would you get first, the x-pipe or cat deletes? What hp gains would each one have individually? If the cat deletes have the bungs for the the sensors do I still need to change my tune? Do I need to change my tune just for the cat back x-pipe if I get it first? I was just thinking a $129 for the cat deletes sounded like a pretty get deal if adds any hp. And later on I'd just get a cat back x-pipe(cat delete back x-pipe).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'm confused...an off road x-pipe has no cats. Do you mean that you are choosing between x-pipe and a catback system?

If you get an x-pipe, I believe you would need a tune. As far as I know, catbacks don't require one.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Yea there's no such thing as a cat back x pipe.. The x pipe bolts up to the manifolds and contains the cats or can be catless.. The cat back bolts up to the x pipe and contains the mufflers
02NightmareGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Exhaust questions

Yes, you can buy cat deletes. They go from factory headers to factory H-pipe. You can also buy cat back x-pipes. They go from factory cats to midpipes. Their purpose is to keep your car smog legal. I'll dig up links, the ones I'm looking at are on BBK web sight. Normaly you would buy the off road x -pipe and be done. But you can buy each one separately. This would allow me to buy one now one later. The total cost for the 2 is about the the same as just buying a off road x-pipe.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea post up the link cause I gotta see this I've never even heard of it
Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cat Delete

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Cat back x-pipe

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Cat back x-pipe
Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixx
I've decided for money reasons I'm going to get seperately the BBK cat deletes and get a cat back x-pipe. I'll get one now one later. My questions are:
Which would you get first, the x-pipe or cat deletes? What hp gains would each one have individually? If the cat deletes have the bungs for the the sensors do I still need to change my tune? Do I need to change my tune just for the cat back x-pipe if I get it first? I was just thinking a $129 for the cat deletes sounded like a pretty get deal if adds any hp. And later on I'd just get a cat back x-pipe(cat delete back x-pipe).
I di it on my 5.0 and i jus bout pupes headers . Pypes down pipes and then pypes offroad xpipe n with the x pipe it bolts straight up to downpipes
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so my plan is those two. $129 for 1 and $169 for the other and I can put either one on first. So that's the reason for my question. Which one first and do I have to retune for both. I have Bama so tune really isn't a biggie and was curious about hp numbers just to know.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I was thinking of catback with tailpipes cause that's what my year has.. I see now. But help me understand this.. On your year, can u unbolt the cats from the stock h pipe?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
That is a shorty x pipe and the first link is just the cat delete extensions. The terminology your using is confusing. Definitely will need tune though. Call and be sure those items will mate up with stock components on the stock exhaust. Cat deletes with x pipe will net about 25 to 30 whp.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT
Ok I was thinking of catback with tailpipes cause that's what my year has.. I see now. But help me understand this.. On your year, can u unbolt the cats from the stock h pipe?
No i don't believe u can if I remember correctly. You would have to cut and weld if you do that. That set up is sold that way I believe to swap out high flow cats and cat delete inserts.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixx
Ok so my plan is those two. $129 for 1 and $169 for the other and I can put either one on first. So that's the reason for my question. Which one first and do I have to retune for both. I have Bama so tune really isn't a biggie and was curious about hp numbers just to know.
If I remember correctly the stock h pipe and cat extensions are one piece and can't be taken apart unless you cut and weld you may have to buy both to do the install as a bolt in as was intended.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok yea that's what I thought so there wouldn't be any way to bolt up those cat delete pipes to ur stock h pipe as far as I know so I don't think ur method will work. I'm pretty sure those cat delete pipes have to bolt up to that "cat back x pipe" (which really just looks like a shorty to bolt up to LT headers) so that means u would have to buy both of those at the same time.. So u would be better off just waiting and getting a full o/r x pipe
Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

First pic is the h-pipe second pic is a close up of where the Cat and H-pipe connect. Sorry thought is was more common. I know I can do it, just thought someone had an idea on best order to do it in. And I'll just retune for each piece. Ty though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h-pipe.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	40962   Click image for larger version

Name:	h-pipe to cat.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	40963  

Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #13

Region: Illinois

We are sixer's here,wrong page
wendyspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT View Post
Yes, I just took mine off the other day to make storage easier. Have two people, a ratchet, sockets and a hammer ready.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Cool well I guess I remembered wrong!lol my my h pipe and cats are in my storage shed somewhere if they weren't buried i would have checked it out but any way IMO do the cat delete first as it will give u the freed up flow and most HP boost exhaust will also get a lil louder. Then later do the x pipe as it will not give u a big boost in HP.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust