Oil Consumption - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Oil Consumption

FYI...This is my third oil change. I read recently on here that people were complaining of their 5.0 burning oil. Well I change mine every 3,000 miles using the Motorcraft 5w-20 Semi Synthetic that it came with. I went over 500 miles. So I have 9,500 miles. I checked it today and I was down TWO quarts. I spoke to the Ford Mechanic at the dealer and he said that is Normal. I love the car but this is BS. Make sure you guys check your oil regularly. That might be the #8 problem, it runs low and causes problems. I might switch to a heavier oil like 10w-30.
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Oil Consumption

That's a bad idea to put heavier oil in. Modular engines have very tight clearances. You need to just get oil separators and install them to catch the oil that is going through the pcv system.
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrarunnin9s
That's a bad idea to put heavier oil in. Modular engines have very tight clearances. You need to just get oil separators and install them to catch the oil that is going through the pcv system.
5w30 should be fine. That's what is recommended for the coyote everywhere but the us from what I've read/heard
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

5w30 should be fine. That's what is recommended for the coyote everywhere but the us from what I've read/heard
5w-30 royal purple!! :metal:
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If a motor is burning oil there is something wrong PERIOD i spoke to my mechanic/ good friend and he said a motor should not be burning oil at all...oil may get stuck in the oil pan and engine components thus making look like your coming up short during an oil change but burning oil last time i checked was not a good thing but maybe im wrong
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
All the oil drains back to the pan went off. There aren't places for it to get caught as you say. Low oil is either not enough put in the pan in the first place, leaks or it being consumed during operation. Oil breaks down and the motor will use some over the course of running, especially when you are working it harder. Small amounts get drawn into the combustion chamber. The oil is there to lubricate the cylinder bores. It's squirted on the bottom of the pistons too. The motors are not perfect. There are gaps where oil gets past the rings and is burned. All motors will use some amount of oil between oil changes. It may not be too noticeable on some cars, especially grandmas car that never gets opened up. These are high performance engines that push the extremes for their components. Some oil use is normal. I do have some knowledge in this. I was a mechanic in my earlier years before becoming a mechanical engineer.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie View Post
All the oil drains back to the pan went off. There aren't places for it to get caught as you say. Low oil is either not enough put in the pan in the first place, leaks or it being consumed during operation. Oil breaks down and the motor will use some over the course of running, especially when you are working it harder. Small amounts get drawn into the combustion chamber. The oil is there to lubricate the cylinder bores. It's squirted on the bottom of the pistons too. The motors are not perfect. There are gaps where oil gets past the rings and is burned. All motors will use some amount of oil between oil changes. It may not be too noticeable on some cars, especially grandmas car that never gets opened up. These are high performance engines that push the extremes for their components. Some oil use is normal. I do have some knowledge in this. I was a mechanic in my earlier years before becoming a mechanical engineer.
+11 I second this statement
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

True and these motors are known for "ring flutter" during break-in.... it will stop to almost no usage after the 10000 or so IMO
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT