Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Light removal

17K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  DarkHorse_5.0 
#1 ·
Can someone direct me either to the YouTube video or a set of directions for removing headlights, tail lights, side marker lights and third brake light so that they may be painted. Guy wants to charge $85 just to remove. Want to turn the parts in on Thursday morning before I go out of town.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

DarkHorse_5.0 said:
Can someone direct me either to the YouTube video or a set of directions for removing headlights, tail lights, side marker lights and third brake light so that they may be painted. Guy wants to charge $85 just to remove. Want to turn the parts in on Thursday morning before I go out of town.
Sorry it's a 2012 5.0

#3 ·
I've never removed the headlights or side lights but the tail lights are easy. Starting with the brake light, just pop the trunk and you'll see some black fasteners holding the carpet to the body. Take those off and peel back the carpet. There are like 3 or 4 bolts holding the brake light assembly to the car, just unscrew those and pull the assembly out. The third brake light is pretty much the same process.

#6 ·
I would suggest tinting them.. Don't have to take them out.. Will last as long as paint if done correctly if not even better.. It actually helps protect the lights from chips and scratches AND you can remove it if you ever decide you don't like it

#9 ·
primer2tone said:
He speaks the truth!
After you've torn it down this far, then you can remove the headlights.

Tinting would be better.
Wow, I don't know if I am ready to see my Stang like that, but it has to be done. The taillights and side markers are being painted black; don't want tint because I don't want bubbles and I want that clear coat shine. The headlights need to come out because they are being sent to Oracle to install color changing Halo's and have inside of the housing including the amber turn signal black. Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eplr9s04vP8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#10 ·
DarkHorse_5.0 said:
Wow, I don't know if I am ready to see my Stang like that, but it has to be done. The taillights and side markers are being painted black; don't want tint because I don't want bubbles and I want that clear coat shine. The headlights need to come out because they are being sent to Oracle to install color changing Halo's and have inside of the housing including the amber turn signal black. Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eplr9s04vP8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
It won't have bubbles some brands have rapid air release technology so that you basically cant get bubbles.. And even if not its still really easy..and you can get it in gloss or flat finish.. It's not hard to do at all..

#11 ·
fultonboy09 said:
I was hoping that you all were going to prove me wrong on this one :/ now I'm never getting the raxiom lights
Dude, don't let that pic talk you out of modding your ride. Believe it or not, it's not that difficult to pull apart. I had to pull all that apart when I installed my hood pins. I posted a thread and included how to disassemble the front end. It's called "Aerocatch Flush Mount Hood Pins Installed." Search it and you'll see it's not that bad.

#18 ·
michael81 said:
What did u use to polish your back light? Mine didn't come out quite that clear and shiny. I only used meguires ultimate compound and an applicator by hand.
I cannot take the credit, I had them painted, he said he used some type of slow curing solvent which hardens and is why he can buff them so shiny, but did not give the name of it.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

fultonboy09 said:
Did you end up painting them? I want mine to look exactly like that!
I didn't paint them, I took them to an Autobody shop and had them done; I'm glad I did, I am very happy with them.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Napoleon85 said:
Wow looks great Can you post pics of them with running lights and brake lights on once you get them installed please?
Just got back from NC, will install tomorrow and take pics of them lights on, off, hazards, and signal. Will try to get night shots in as well.

#19 ·
DarkHorse_5.0 said:
I cannot take the credit, I had them painted, he said he used some type of slow curing solvent which hardens and is why he can buff them so shiny, but did not give the name of it.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

I didn't paint them, I took them to an Autobody shop and had them done; I'm glad I did, I am very happy with them.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Just got back from NC, will install tomorrow and take pics of them lights on, off, hazards, and signal. Will try to get night shots in as well.
Can't wait to see the pics! I need to see if the cops will nail me for doing that lol

#20 ·
Install done; first couple of pics are with running lights on, hard to tell because it is bright outside. Then hazards on which simulate if you were to press on the brakes..didn't have another set of feet to press the brakes. Also quarter panel lights were done. I will take night shots this evening. Sorry that she is dirty also, will look a lot better once I clean her up.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Bumper

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper

Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Vehicle Alloy wheel Tire Automotive tire Wheel

Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior

#24 ·
James12gt said:
Looks amazing! Did the guy give you options on the darkness?
Yes, he asked me how dark I wanted them to be.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

fultonboy09 said:
Ooohhh! I didn't think of this! Good call! What was this product called?
This is paint and clear coat from an Autobody shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.