Body Panel Alignment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Body Panel Alignment

I just noticed that my hood and driver side front fender are no longer aligned. Used to be perfectly flat. Now the hood is lower than the fender as the gap goes towards the front of the car. Has anyone else has this happen? I figure the rubber bumper-things are in need of adjusting but now sure how to do it.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Re: Body Panel Alignment

Since the day I got mine last February I have noticed that a few of my body panels are misaligned... It may be just the constant heat and coldthat have caused that. I have no proof, just speculation really...........
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My buddys gt500 is like that
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

It sucks droppin that much money and seeing the imperfections, but it's made by humans and nothing is perfect :sigh:

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm making an appt at the dealer for them to fix it. Then keep fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I used to see this **** on old-school Lambos. Man, they looked, up close, like the panels were beaten out over an old stump...which wasn't far from the truth. Every one different, a body man's nightmare. I've seen this on alot of mass produced cars too, especially when the tooling gets old. Shouldn't be an issue lik that here, though.

I haven't looked but, you might be able to adjust the hood bumpers o move it closer to alignment.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

were not really dropping all that much money on these new stangs all things considered. 32k for a 412hp car that will run with 50k-150k cars. a little fit and finish issues are not high on my concern list. were paying for that coyote and some wheels to get it to the ground. but to the subject my hood on my driver side is slightly low next to the fender.
Delta vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
A premium GT is 39k where I live.. Mustang has always been a bang for buck kind of car. I could live with the standard orange peel but the body lines should be spot on. Issues like that hurt the initial value rating and the projected value. My question is if they have body line issues right out the showroom, how will things like door hinges, handles etc stand up over time. Fox cars have sagging door issues and handle issues as well as interior issues like ash tray door and door panel issues.
Talking 20-30 years down the line.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Ok well it may not be alot compared to some cars. I get the feeling that for many of us it still isnt easy to buy a $30000+ car when you could easily buy something much more practical, cheaper and better on gas. But bang for the buck... ABSOLUTELY, I brag about it all the time lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
A premium GT is 39k where I live.. Mustang has always been a bang for buck kind of car. I could live with the standard orange peel but the body lines should be spot on. Issues like that hurt the initial value rating and the projected value. My question is if they have body line issues right out the showroom, how will things like door hinges, handles etc stand up over time. Fox cars have sagging door issues and handle issues as well as interior issues like ash tray door and door panel issues.
Talking 20-30 years down the line.
20-30 years down the line almost every car has body issues. That's why they get restored. Its nit easy to build something that precise that will
Last that long. Thus cars the don't have these issues cost $$$$. I paid 40k out the door for mine (which is a lot of money) but seeing as I can run with my dads 80k m3, I'm not expecting the same quality. Ford put all the money towards performance, where it should be in a mustang. For the money you can't beat the new 5.0, it simply cannot be done
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I understand the irritation. This is Ford's premier product and, while it's not fair to compare it to a spinny prop or silver caltrop product, it is fair to expect a decent level of F&F on this thing, over say, a Focus.

I also sit at 40K OTD on mine (Canada). Alot but, compared to the last Mustang I had, (an 88 5.0 LX), this is at least 3 times as good a car, for under 2X the price of that one, new in 88. There, that's my math
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
I understand the irritation. This is Ford's premier product and, while it's not fair to compare it to a spinny prop or silver caltrop product, it is fair to expect a decent level of F&F on this thing, over say, a Focus.

I also sit at 40K OTD on mine (Canada). Alot but, compared to the last Mustang I had, (an 88 5.0 LX), this is at least 3 times as good a car, for under 2X the price of that one, new in 88. There, that's my math
That's some good number crunching. I love my car to death and will probably have it for the rest of my life. I will need some body work in the future I'm sure, but the pure value is unbeatable.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The '88, the last Mustang I had, for 13 years and for the last 10 I tried to kill it at the dragstrip with every form of power adder imaginable. It just would not go down, that thing. It's major food group was tire smoke.

This one I won't beat as hard, it's my DD and I have a wicked streetbike/dragbike that's faster than any car I could afford to build.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
The '88, the last Mustang I had, for 13 years and for the last 10 I tried to kill it at the dragstrip with every form of power adder imaginable. It just would not go down, that thing. It's major food group was tire smoke.

This one I won't beat as hard, it's my DD and I have a wicked streetbike/dragbike that's faster than any car I could afford to build.
me too
Old 03-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #15

Region: Arizona
Fit and Finish

I have a 2015 Mustang less than a month in I noticed driver door sagging. Upon closer inspection nothing lines up, hood trunk, bare metal where some misalignments are a problem. Ford told me they would not do anything for me, I am over 60 and a widow and I think they are being unfair. So finally today Ford took pictures... I even have
abrasions under the clear coat and it looks like grit coming through clearcoat.
I took it to a body shop of Fords choosing, so they could be assured I was not seeing things. Owner of body shop said to do the repairs and he found a lot that I had not found, it would cost approx . 15,000.00
Wow... and to boot, when the repairs are done they will report to carfax and the value of the car just took a dive . Sorry needed to sound off, my pleas have fallen on deaf ears.
Papillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I've been driving Fords for 30 years and although I had done a fair amount of mods to the 14 TrakPak I sold it last year. It just wasn't fun to drive anymore. When I took the rear bumper off to install the GT500 valance and mufflers it was not lined up properly...and I spent extra time to make sure it did when I put it back, the same with the front bumper.......this along with the design of the rear suspension including that terrible 2 piece drive line just drove me to go another direction. Although I did spend a little more money I now have a baby 4 door Corvette with suspension that far outshines the Mustang and enough HP to show the Mustang my tail lights........plus 2 more doors along with 4 years bumper to bumper warranty...........I just think Ford's quality has slipped...With that said I do have an 03 and have to admit that it is more fun to drive than 14 was.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Papillon. Any time paint is wearing off due to panel misalignment, that's not ok. I'd strongly suggest you escalate this through a Ford District rep, assuming you are in the US. Many boards have ones that frequent them. The best known would be Deysha, here:

AllFordMustangs - The Mustang Authority

These reps have been a little hard to locate lately, fyi.

Here's the line for the Ford Customer Relations Centre:

1-800-392-3673.

My 14 is tight and straight, better than any Mustang and, I've had five. No paint corrections or panel problems. Same on my '12 I had until a couple months back. A bit of the factory orange peel on that car, due to the water-borne paints used today but, that settled down after a few months to be barely noticeable. This is a budget sports car, no matter what you pay retail and some corners are cut to bring the mighty Coyote to market with all the available options, at this price point.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #18

Here i Australia im yet to see a mustang that has good panel alignment some folks here are very dissapointed with the build quallity given the some stealers (sorry dealers ) are charging up 85k for a 5.0 GT if you want one straight away..... 68k for an auto with a 12 /15 month wait ..you can imagine the feeling when it then has to go into the panel shop to be put straight ...

We can get alot of car here for that price hoping build quality is going to improve but not holding my breath
USA429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA429 View Post
Here i Australia im yet to see a mustang that has good panel alignment some folks here are very dissapointed with the build quallity given the some stealers (sorry dealers ) are charging up 85k for a 5.0 GT if you want one straight away..... 68k for an auto with a 12 /15 month wait ..you can imagine the feeling when it then has to go into the panel shop to be put straight ...

We can get alot of car here for that price hoping build quality is going to improve but not holding my breath

85k in USD?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #20

Aus $$$
USA429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's still $64k US dollars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT