New Mustang Owner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
New Mustang Owner

Hi all,

I am the proud new owner of a 2012 GT Premium. Hope to take delivery later this week. I have the package with the spoiler / fake hood scoop, and the Brembo Brake package in race red.

I have a couple of quick questions. The dealer pushes a lot of Rousch parts, and they stock a lot of their stuff. They put together a "Rousch Package" and I test drove one and really liked it - but no Brembos.

They are installing their "Rousch Package" in my car. Includes CAI, Exhaust, lowered springs, and a bunch of bling stuff that looks cool but it probably terribly overpriced.

1) I took a tape measure to the 18's on their lowered car to the 19's on my car, and the overall wheel diameter looks to be about the same. Concerned with lowering the car if the 19's overall are any smaller than the 18's. I found others who lowered Brembo equipped cars and it looks pretty awesome. Any concerns here?
2) The car has stock rear-end gears ... the car I drove w/o the Brembo's had 3.73 gears. The 3.73 car was 2000 RPM at 60mph, my car was about 1600. I can't say the 3.73 car FELT terribly quicker, but I am sure under the clock it's probably quicker. The dealer wants $650 to change out the gears ... is that steep since the Ford Racing parts are $179?
3) Any other advice anyone has is appreciated

I originally wanted a 2013 ... this car was a compromise at the 1.89% 60 mo I got AND $3000 cash back made the car a pretty damn good deal, and I would have spent a lot more on the 2013 and have no had delivery to June or July. Yeah, a LITTLE impatient - I have wanted a GT since I was 16 (41 now!).

I will say the Rousch exhaust sounded AWESOME ... really sold the car IMO. Even my wife liked it and she HATES the Nismo exhaust on my Altima 3.5SR.

Thanks all. I'm excited as hell.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
Hi all,

I am the proud new owner of a 2012 GT Premium. Hope to take delivery later this week. I have the package with the spoiler / fake hood scoop, and the Brembo Brake package in race red.

I have a couple of quick questions. The dealer pushes a lot of Rousch parts, and they stock a lot of their stuff. They put together a "Rousch Package" and I test drove one and really liked it - but no Brembos.

They are installing their "Rousch Package" in my car. Includes CAI, Exhaust, lowered springs, and a bunch of bling stuff that looks cool but it probably terribly overpriced.

1) I took a tape measure to the 18's on their lowered car to the 19's on my car, and the overall wheel diameter looks to be about the same. Concerned with lowering the car if the 19's overall are any smaller than the 18's. I found others who lowered Brembo equipped cars and it looks pretty awesome. Any concerns here?
2) The car has stock rear-end gears ... the car I drove w/o the Brembo's had 3.73 gears. The 3.73 car was 2000 RPM at 60mph, my car was about 1600. I can't say the 3.73 car FELT terribly quicker, but I am sure under the clock it's probably quicker. The dealer wants $650 to change out the gears ... is that steep since the Ford Racing parts are $179?
3) Any other advice anyone has is appreciated

I originally wanted a 2013 ... this car was a compromise at the 1.89% 60 mo I got AND $3000 cash back made the car a pretty damn good deal, and I would have spent a lot more on the 2013 and have no had delivery to June or July. Yeah, a LITTLE impatient - I have wanted a GT since I was 16 (41 now!).

I will say the Rousch exhaust sounded AWESOME ... really sold the car IMO. Even my wife liked it and she HATES the Nismo exhaust on my Altima 3.5SR.

Thanks all. I'm excited as hell.
Roush CAI is worthless.. Congrats.. Mine is a brembo car w factory 19" wheels lowered 1.5" all around..
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Congrats man! You'll love the 5.0. If they cut you a good deal I'd go for the Roush package. As long as it doesn't lower the car drastically you should be ok with the 19's. If you go too low you'll need cast and camber plates. The dealership should know this. Going for the gears is up to whether you want pep or gas mileage. The 3.73s will be a little peppier on the low end but the 3.31s will get a little better mileage. I have 3.73s and the mileage isn't that much worse than stock gears. I'd go for the 3.73s if I had the extra cash. I also have the brembos. It's a nice package. Congrats again!
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Congrats, Race Red w/hood and spoiler package here also, nice choice!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to 2Greeny7
Congrats man, and i say go with what ever you like. If you like it just get it. You'll be happy in the end and will not be wishing you did do it. As far as money is concerend i think that much for gears+install is a little steep. However (correct me if im wrong) it should be under warranty so if anything happens to them your covered. And yeah 19's are big rims and i believe with a 1.5drop you'll be ok. Check your tires for odd wear patterns. Also tires for 19inch rims are EXPENSIVE!
2 Subs, New speakers all around
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
July '12 Mustang of the Month
2Greeny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: New Mustang Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny27 View Post
Congrats man, and i say go with what ever you like. If you like it just get it. You'll be happy in the end and will not be wishing you did do it. As far as money is concerend i think that much for gears+install is a little steep. However (correct me if im wrong) it should be under warranty so if anything happens to them your covered. And yeah 19's are big rims and i believe with a 1.5drop you'll be ok. Check your tires for odd wear patterns. Also tires for 19inch rims are EXPENSIVE!
Yeah, I priced the replacement P-Zero's at $340 each ... well I guess it's the price you pay to play.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckChorris View Post
Congrats man! You'll love the 5.0. If they cut you a good deal I'd go for the Roush package. As long as it doesn't lower the car drastically you should be ok with the 19's. If you go too low you'll need cast and camber plates. The dealership should know this. Going for the gears is up to whether you want pep or gas mileage. The 3.73s will be a little peppier on the low end but the 3.31s will get a little better mileage. I have 3.73s and the mileage isn't that much worse than stock gears. I'd go for the 3.73s if I had the extra cash. I also have the brembos. It's a nice package. Congrats again!
I read somewhere that the Brembo package already had cast and camber plates ... but I won't pretend to know what I am talking about in that regard!

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

One thing I really want to do at some point is paint the rims black ... there was a Boss in the showroom (sold) and that black rims looked amazing.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to 2Greeny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87

Yeah, I priced the replacement P-Zero's at $340 each ... well I guess it's the price you pay to play.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

I read somewhere that the Brembo package already had cast and camber plates ... but I won't pretend to know what I am talking about in that regard!

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

One thing I really want to do at some point is paint the rims black ... there was a Boss in the showroom (sold) and that black rims looked amazing.
Yeah tires cost a fortune! Im buy some hopefully soon if people buy my old cobra R's and old toyo tires that are like brand new!
2 Subs, New speakers all around
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
July '12 Mustang of the Month
2Greeny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #8

Region: Europe

As far as the gears go I have the 3.73s on my 2011 GT. On a road trip I got about 23 mpg all highway but I was also doing about 90 the whole way and a little quicker at a couple points(120-130). It was installed factory option for $350. I would get a quick quote by a performance shop if you can't do it yourself. I doubt it would cost you $650.
GBrownie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Get the options u want....do it once and do it right you wont regret it
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can probably do better for FAR less using other after market parts, the issue is the warranty will be voided if you tune it... and any CAI worth having will require a tune

but you can lower it and stuff without much hassle. They push the Roush items on you due to the massive amount of money they make off of selling them.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
650 for gear install is good if that includes the gears. Then having Ford do it it will be covered under warranty.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT