Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Trade-In for 2013 Model

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Bladezx 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So about a year ago, I bought my first Mustang. A 2006 Mustang GT. Now, when I bought the car, I wasn't all that great financially, so never really got around to doing mods.

Fast forward to this year I'm doing a whole lot better financially. So it got me thinking to trade my car in for a new 2013 model. I'm sure the trade in value is decent for me seeing as the car is still in perfect shape. It's pretty much stock. and still hasn't hit 15k miles.

I guess I'm just asking what you guys would do in my place. Trade-in or no?

Thanks guys

#2 ·
I'd see what i could get for it and def. think about trading. but like you said, should be a good price for a stock, low mileage car... if they don't want to give you what its worth, you'd be better keeping or privage sale.

#6 ·
W0lfMAN21 said:
Hey guys,

So about a year ago, I bought my first Mustang. A 2006 Mustang GT. Now, when I bought the car, I wasn't all that great financially, so never really got around to doing mods.

Fast forward to this year I'm doing a whole lot better financially. So it got me thinking to trade my car in for a new 2013 model. I'm sure the trade in value is decent for me seeing as the car is still in perfect shape. It's pretty much stock. and still hasn't hit 15k miles.

I guess I'm just asking what you guys would do in my place. Trade-in or no?

Thanks guys
You could check it out and see about getting the 2013, but I'm waiting for the 2015. I just bought my 11 a little over a yr ago, but I'm already pretty far ahead on payments. If a year ago you were financially unstable though, I would probably give it a few more years and go for the '15. But you know your financial situation better than anyone so it's really all up to you.

#9 ·
W0lfMAN21 said:
Yeah no it's definitely a whole lot better lol. I could wait for the 2015 model, but I'm really loving that Shelby aggressive look on the GT.

I know the 2015 is another re-design. Scared I might not like it.
Lol I understand, I may not like it either, but I'm gonna hold out for the '15 anyways and worse case scenario I'll just buy a used '13 or '14 when that time comes

#10 ·
Yeah, I don't wanna buy used again. Don't get me wrong, I got lucky with such a good used model, but I really want to build mine up. Paint, interior, and packages. I want them to be my choice lol. Plan to get a Premium GT. budget it to about 41k. to include all my demands lol.

#11 ·
W0lfMAN21 said:
Yeah, I don't wanna buy used again. Don't get me wrong, I got lucky with such a good used model, but I really want to build mine up. Paint, interior, and packages. I want them to be my choice lol. Plan to get a Premium GT. budget it to about 41k. to include all my demands lol.
Sounds like you are set on the '13, and I'm not judging, I think it's a great idea. On that note just make sure you maximize your trade and on a 41k budget I'd say you have plenty to buy a nice premium with a few options and then a couple of basic bolt-ons. Sounds like a solid plan wolfman. Trust me, if I could afford it I would buy a new mustang every single year lol an never sell any of the previous ones.

#12 ·
#19 ·
Ahh that's not always true. In some states, like Ohio, you only pay the tax on the difference of the trade and the new car. It could end up costing him MORE to sell it PP than trade it in.

You also have to deal with the hassle of selling it. Not sure in your part of the country, but around here it's not uncommon for people to get shot/stabbed in those transactions (have I mentioned recently that Ohio blows?).

#21 ·
Napoleon85 said:
Ahh that's not always true. In some states, like Ohio, you only pay the tax on the difference of the trade and the new car. It could end up costing him MORE to sell it PP than trade it in.

You also have to deal with the hassle of selling it. Not sure in your part of the country, but around here it's not uncommon for people to get shot/stabbed in those transactions (have I mentioned recently that Ohio blows?).
Yeah I'm in canada and we don't the same distribution of crazy up here. And as tax varies it doesn't take much. I was offered 8 grand trade in on a car appraised at 13k and I've been offered over 17. A 06 gt with low miles could be 12 grand trade or sold at 18.

#22 ·
it is very hard to get a what is my car worth quote here..you have to look at the total deal because the dealer will try to make up the difference on selling price, doc fees and other markups...now if you can you x plan or get a quote for invoice you will truly know what the dealer is willing to give you...good luck and hope it all works out

#24 ·
You can't let your anticipation get the best of you. I would say wait it out till you get the right numbers for your car and on the new one. Also never take no for an answer from a dealer, because most likely they can raise the numbers on yOur trade and lower them from the new car. If you don't like the deal walk away, the salesperson will try to lower the numbers once they realize their commission is walking out the door

#25 ·
Don't forget to add the tax savings off your new car to the trade in value you're offered. That is money directly in your pocket, as you only pay tax on the after-trade value of the new car.

Trade in values vary with year to year conditions, demand and, the value of the car being purchased. You can't make direct comparisons like, "Well, I got XXk for mine so you should, too".

#26 ·
I wouldn't wait for the 2015 I would get a 2012 or 13 for now. The first redesigned year always has flaws etc bugs to fix so by the time they will get it fixed etc will be the 2016s or 17s by then your current car will be paid off or near paid off.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

W0lfMAN21 said:
I was thinking that for a while. Just seems like a lot of hassle. But, if I don't like the number I get from the dealer, I'll heavily consider the selling option.

Try selling privately or try multiple dealers. My 07 had a ****ed bumper and fender dented in. 3G damage i didn't want to pay. One dealer would only give me 6 for it then I went to a small town ford dealer and found a2012 5.0 fully loaded for 38g and 700 Kms on it talked them into giving me 13 grand for my car saying the city dealer was going to give me that much for it and the repairs they could fix for a grand easily. Since dealers can't call each other to see bull**** cause of competition they believed me and I had the new car reduced cause it was brand new and the owner of the dealer drive it for 700 km and got my car worth way more than the other dealer would pay. It's good to play around with other dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.