Extended warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Extended warranty

I bought my 11 gt in last feb and purchased the 6yr 100k warranty. I also have a CAI and BBR 93 octane tune. I really want to keep the extended warranty still but is it worth it anymore? Should I just sell it back? Does it completely void all warranty?
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
medicespo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 233
If they can prove the tune had anything to do with the part that messes up then it does. I'm sure the dealerships will try anything to get out of having to pay for anything
__________________
2012 GT 5.0
6speed manual
flowmaster super 10's
lethal performance o/r x pipe
BAMA sct tuner
35% tint all the way round
medicespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
I also have the prepaid maintenance so I take it the for all of my oil changes and stuff too, they haven't said anything about any of it yet. All the service guys compliment it everytime I being it in. Do you think maybe they just aren't saying anything because they don't know or care or because it doesn't matter to them? I'm really thinking about selling the warranty back, what would you do?

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

O yea, I'm actually having warranty work done tomorrow that they have already approved....
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
dailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 100
Re: Extended warranty

FYI- they can not tell that you have ever had a custom tune on it. It's all bs.If they say they can and tell you that the warranty is void...make them show you. They can't.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Another FYI- the reason they , dealerships , rush to say that the warranty will not cover it is very much wrong of them. The problem lies with how much Ford will pay the dealer/techs to repair said problem...vs what the tech / dealer says it will take ( time ) if Ford says 2 hrs under warranty...and the dealer thinks it will take 4 hrs ..and can try to justify not filing it under warranty..they will charge you whatever they want to. Meaning they make more money.
dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
From my understanding they can tell how many times the computer has been unlocked and reprogrammed.
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
medicespo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
I also have the prepaid maintenance so I take it the for all of my oil changes and stuff too, they haven't said anything about any of it yet. All the service guys compliment it everytime I being it in. Do you think maybe they just aren't saying anything because they don't know or care or because it doesn't matter to them? I'm really thinking about selling the warranty back, what would you do?

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

O yea, I'm actually having warranty work done tomorrow that they have already approved....
Some dealerships are mod friendly and really don't care you may just be lucky and have one of those dealerships
__________________
2012 GT 5.0
6speed manual
flowmaster super 10's
lethal performance o/r x pipe
BAMA sct tuner
35% tint all the way round
medicespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
I hope, my dealer is the largest dealer in the country (at least thats what they told me... Seems believable too. If they're not the biggest they are def in the top 5) and so they're an authorized Saleen/rough/etc. dealer and maybe they understand how mods work.

On that note how many people on here have actually bought extended warranties and does anyone think they're worth it?
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 254
I have a 100 thousand mile one to and the dealership I have is mods friendly they did all my work tho to be on the safe side and I would say yes it will cover ur butt if something major does happen like a blown engine or tranny but it's up to you if u think you can afford some of the repairs of something goes wrong then go ahead but if u want to modd then I would let the dealership do it to keep ur warrenty
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
medicespo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 233
I have one but got it at A-plan price so that's the only reason I got it BC it was like 900 bucks I think so silly not to get it
__________________
2012 GT 5.0
6speed manual
flowmaster super 10's
lethal performance o/r x pipe
BAMA sct tuner
35% tint all the way round
medicespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicespo
I have one but got it at A-plan price so that's the only reason I got it BC it was like 900 bucks I think so silly not to get it
Yea I got mine x plan at 1100, really just trying to get some feed bad and peace of mind. Would cat back void the warranty?
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 254
No it won't void warrenty
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat
No it won't void warrenty
Sorry to keep on with the questions but I need answers lol... Would a full exhaust void warranty?
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 254
The exhaust wouldn't you would have to replace it if it had something went wrong with it not dealership but if you wanted to know for sure I would ask the dealership what u can do and can't do and have the owner or someone high up to sign a paper so they can't say they didn't say it but the exhaust shouldn't even the headers shouldnt they just won't be covered under warrenty anymore

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I had all my work done i had my supercharger and everything done at the dealership so I still have my warrenty I have it in writing to so like I said its all up to the dealership and what they will approve and won't approve
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Re: Extended warranty

I bet there labor rates were pretty high though weren't they?
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
medicespo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Yea I got mine x plan at 1100, really just trying to get some feed bad and peace of mind. Would cat back void the warranty?
I wouldn't think so? I just had it done to mine and my dealerships was actually quite impressed with how it sounded...I would say since you already have a tune on there anything is pretty much fair game for ya as long as you don't start getting to crazy with mods...you "should" be OK with the simple stuff
__________________
2012 GT 5.0
6speed manual
flowmaster super 10's
lethal performance o/r x pipe
BAMA sct tuner
35% tint all the way round
medicespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 254
I'm actually the lucky one my friend owns the dealership and it was free labor I've bought everything but the supercharger which he bought for my Christmas present lol
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Statesboro
Region: Georgia
Posts: 828
It really does depend in dealer alone. The dealer closest my house won't work in my car because I have custom exhaust where as the dealer I bought my car from enjoys seeing what other mods I make.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Problem is that it's not up to the dealership anymore.. If they want to get paid for the warranty work they have to get it approved.. When my wheels were chipping they were gonna have to have an engineer come look at them b4 they would replace them... They painted them for me instead.. And I know ALL the important people at the dealership.. Ford has taken the warranty work approvals out of the hands of the dealerships cuz they were losing too much money through it.. They can SAY that they will cover you all they want.. But unless u have that in writing good luck! Lol
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
Problem is that it's not up to the dealership anymore.. If they want to get paid for the warranty work they have to get it approved.. When my wheels were chipping they were gonna have to have an engineer come look at them b4 they would replace them... They painted them for me instead.. And I know ALL the important people at the dealership.. Ford has taken the warranty work approvals out of the hands of the dealerships cuz they were losing too much money through it.. They can SAY that they will cover you all they want.. But unless u have that in writing good luck! Lol
Yeah Ford has really been cracking down on the warranty claims recently ... the whole #8 cyl and MT82 debacles have brought that to the forefront.

I got an extended warranty too but it only cost $600 with my x-plan since they sold it at cost, so there is no reason to cash it in. Keep in mind that even if your engine transmission would no longer be covered by mods, the warranty would still be intact for all unrelated components. I had an 06 that I kept slightly past the end of the warranty and once it got close stuff started breaking on the interior. These S197s don't hold up very well over time, so a bumper-to-bumper warranty may end up being very useful even if you don't have certain components covered anymore.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Yeah Ford has really been cracking down on the warranty claims recently ... the whole #8 cyl and MT82 debacles have brought that to the forefront.

I got an extended warranty too but it only cost $600 with my x-plan since they sold it at cost, so there is no reason to cash it in. Keep in mind that even if your engine transmission would no longer be covered by mods, the warranty would still be intact for all unrelated components. I had an 06 that I kept slightly past the end of the warranty and once it got close stuff started breaking on the interior. These S197s don't hold up very well over time, so a bumper-to-bumper warranty may end up being very useful even if you don't have certain components covered anymore.
Good point, I'll keep mine and just keep the mods to a minimum. I never wanted to go crazy anyways really, just sticking to simple bolt-ons
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Good point, I'll keep mine and just keep the mods to a minimum. I never wanted to go crazy anyways really, just sticking to simple bolt-ons
Even if you do go crazy, they can't refuse to fix your seat or stereo because you have a supercharger. I'm keeping mine for that fact alone. It also helps with resale value or trade-in if/when the time comes.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Even if you do go crazy, they can't refuse to fix your seat or stereo because you have a supercharger. I'm keeping mine for that fact alone. It also helps with resale value or trade-in if/when the time comes.
True... You resold me the warranty lol. I was just about set on getting rid of it.
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
medicespo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Even if you do go crazy, they can't refuse to fix your seat or stereo because you have a supercharger. I'm keeping mine for that fact alone. It also helps with resale value or trade-in if/when the time comes.
+1 never even thought about it like that
__________________
2012 GT 5.0
6speed manual
flowmaster super 10's
lethal performance o/r x pipe
BAMA sct tuner
35% tint all the way round
medicespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey View Post
FYI- they can not tell that you have ever had a custom tune on it. It's all bs.If they say they can and tell you that the warranty is void...make them show you. They can't.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Another FYI- the reason they , dealerships , rush to say that the warranty will not cover it is very much wrong of them. The problem lies with how much Ford will pay the dealer/techs to repair said problem...vs what the tech / dealer says it will take ( time ) if Ford says 2 hrs under warranty...and the dealer thinks it will take 4 hrs ..and can try to justify not filing it under warranty..they will charge you whatever they want to. Meaning they make more money.
They can tell on the 2011 and up......it's a whole different ballgame.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
dailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 100
Re: Extended warranty

according to the tech i spoke to today...if i put a custom tune on my car and bring it in to the shop ...he can tell...if i take it out and put the factory one back in..he can't tell me that i had a custom tune in it. He is the 2nd one to tell me this.
dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey
i have spoke to two Ford techs...one of them today ...they can't tell.
They don't know what they are talkin about.. It's prolly not a simple plug into the obdII port ordeal..
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
*Watching this thread closely*
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey View Post
according to the tech i spoke to today...if i put a custom tune on my car and bring it in to the shop ...he can tell...if i take it out and put the factory one back in..he can't tell me that i had a custom tune in it. He is the 2nd one to tell me this.
He's wrong ... this has been discussed thoroughly. The ECU has a checksum that is altered when overwritten, and also keeps track of how many times and when it was overwritten. I don't care what the $12/hour tech believes, Ford engineering has a vastly superior amount of knowledge and ability concerning these matters. If you bring in a car with a blown block you can bet your *** they will pull the ECU and send it out to be analyzed.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

He's wrong ... this has been discussed thoroughly. The ECU has a checksum that is altered when overwritten, and also keeps track of how many times and when it was overwritten. I don't care what the $12/hour tech believes, Ford engineering has a vastly superior amount of knowledge and ability concerning these matters. If you bring in a car with a blown block you can bet your *** they will pull the ECU and send it out to be analyzed.
And this is why im not doing a tune
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
He's wrong ... this has been discussed thoroughly. The ECU has a checksum that is altered when overwritten, and also keeps track of how many times and when it was overwritten. I don't care what the $12/hour tech believes, Ford engineering has a vastly superior amount of knowledge and ability concerning these matters. If you bring in a car with a blown block you can bet your *** they will pull the ECU and send it out to be analyzed.
+1.....This topic has been beaten to death so many times. Maybe try the search button next time,it actually comes in pretty handy when in need of a quick answer.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
And this is why im not doing a tune
I'm not saying don't tune, just be aware of the potential risks. You mod any part of the car and you're losing warranty coverage on that part. Pretty damn simple IMO.

This isn't even touching the moral/ethical issues of the people who tune their cars, **** it up, then put the stock tune back on and pretend like they never did anything to it. I modded my engine, that has voided my warranty coverage of it unless the problem is unrelated. I accept that as any mature and responsible person should.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
How about if you buy a second ecu and swap it out
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
How about if you buy a second ecu and swap it out
Oh God ... Let's not go there again.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Oh God ... Let's not go there again.
Lmao i was just kidding haha id rather stay safe and not tune tho but thats just my opinion 55hp is not worth $40000
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50

Lmao i was just kidding haha id rather stay safe and not tune tho but thats just my opinion 55hp is not worth $40000
There is no way you could do $40k of damage with a tune... your choice to mod or not though.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exhaust & warranty 04TRV6 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 20 03-04-2012 07:26 PM
There isn't any warranty approved headers is there? Xofferick 2011-2014 Mustang GT 16 02-14-2012 03:24 AM
warranty mods 5.0Stang 2011-2014 Mustang GT 20 01-27-2012 11:25 PM
Cold air intake warranty Yellow50 2011-2014 Mustang GT 7 01-23-2012 09:54 PM
Tunes that won't void warranty? CaptainBeyond 2011-2014 Mustang GT 14 12-15-2011 05:19 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:47 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.