Extended warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Extended warranty

I bought my 11 gt in last feb and purchased the 6yr 100k warranty. I also have a CAI and BBR 93 octane tune. I really want to keep the extended warranty still but is it worth it anymore? Should I just sell it back? Does it completely void all warranty?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If they can prove the tune had anything to do with the part that messes up then it does. I'm sure the dealerships will try anything to get out of having to pay for anything
lethal performance o/r x pipe
BAMA sct tuner
35% tint all the way round
medicespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I also have the prepaid maintenance so I take it the for all of my oil changes and stuff too, they haven't said anything about any of it yet. All the service guys compliment it everytime I being it in. Do you think maybe they just aren't saying anything because they don't know or care or because it doesn't matter to them? I'm really thinking about selling the warranty back, what would you do?

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

O yea, I'm actually having warranty work done tomorrow that they have already approved....

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Extended warranty

FYI- they can not tell that you have ever had a custom tune on it. It's all bs.If they say they can and tell you that the warranty is void...make them show you. They can't.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Another FYI- the reason they , dealerships , rush to say that the warranty will not cover it is very much wrong of them. The problem lies with how much Ford will pay the dealer/techs to repair said problem...vs what the tech / dealer says it will take ( time ) if Ford says 2 hrs under warranty...and the dealer thinks it will take 4 hrs ..and can try to justify not filing it under warranty..they will charge you whatever they want to. Meaning they make more money.
dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

From my understanding they can tell how many times the computer has been unlocked and reprogrammed.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
I also have the prepaid maintenance so I take it the for all of my oil changes and stuff too, they haven't said anything about any of it yet. All the service guys compliment it everytime I being it in. Do you think maybe they just aren't saying anything because they don't know or care or because it doesn't matter to them? I'm really thinking about selling the warranty back, what would you do?

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

O yea, I'm actually having warranty work done tomorrow that they have already approved....
Some dealerships are mod friendly and really don't care you may just be lucky and have one of those dealerships
BAMA sct tuner
Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I hope, my dealer is the largest dealer in the country (at least thats what they told me... Seems believable too. If they're not the biggest they are def in the top 5) and so they're an authorized Saleen/rough/etc. dealer and maybe they understand how mods work.

On that note how many people on here have actually bought extended warranties and does anyone think they're worth it?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have a 100 thousand mile one to and the dealership I have is mods friendly they did all my work tho to be on the safe side and I would say yes it will cover ur butt if something major does happen like a blown engine or tranny but it's up to you if u think you can afford some of the repairs of something goes wrong then go ahead but if u want to modd then I would let the dealership do it to keep ur warrenty
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have one but got it at A-plan price so that's the only reason I got it BC it was like 900 bucks I think so silly not to get it
BAMA sct tuner
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicespo
I have one but got it at A-plan price so that's the only reason I got it BC it was like 900 bucks I think so silly not to get it
Yea I got mine x plan at 1100, really just trying to get some feed bad and peace of mind. Would cat back void the warranty?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No it won't void warrenty
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat
No it won't void warrenty
Sorry to keep on with the questions but I need answers lol... Would a full exhaust void warranty?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The exhaust wouldn't you would have to replace it if it had something went wrong with it not dealership but if you wanted to know for sure I would ask the dealership what u can do and can't do and have the owner or someone high up to sign a paper so they can't say they didn't say it but the exhaust shouldn't even the headers shouldnt they just won't be covered under warrenty anymore

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I had all my work done i had my supercharger and everything done at the dealership so I still have my warrenty I have it in writing to so like I said its all up to the dealership and what they will approve and won't approve
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I bet there labor rates were pretty high though weren't they?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Yea I got mine x plan at 1100, really just trying to get some feed bad and peace of mind. Would cat back void the warranty?
I wouldn't think so? I just had it done to mine and my dealerships was actually quite impressed with how it sounded...I would say since you already have a tune on there anything is pretty much fair game for ya as long as you don't start getting to crazy with mods...you "should" be OK with the simple stuff
BAMA sct tuner
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm actually the lucky one my friend owns the dealership and it was free labor I've bought everything but the supercharger which he bought for my Christmas present lol
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It really does depend in dealer alone. The dealer closest my house won't work in my car because I have custom exhaust where as the dealer I bought my car from enjoys seeing what other mods I make.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Problem is that it's not up to the dealership anymore.. If they want to get paid for the warranty work they have to get it approved.. When my wheels were chipping they were gonna have to have an engineer come look at them b4 they would replace them... They painted them for me instead.. And I know ALL the important people at the dealership.. Ford has taken the warranty work approvals out of the hands of the dealerships cuz they were losing too much money through it.. They can SAY that they will cover you all they want.. But unless u have that in writing good luck! Lol
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
Problem is that it's not up to the dealership anymore.. If they want to get paid for the warranty work they have to get it approved.. When my wheels were chipping they were gonna have to have an engineer come look at them b4 they would replace them... They painted them for me instead.. And I know ALL the important people at the dealership.. Ford has taken the warranty work approvals out of the hands of the dealerships cuz they were losing too much money through it.. They can SAY that they will cover you all they want.. But unless u have that in writing good luck! Lol
Yeah Ford has really been cracking down on the warranty claims recently ... the whole #8 cyl and MT82 debacles have brought that to the forefront.

I got an extended warranty too but it only cost $600 with my x-plan since they sold it at cost, so there is no reason to cash it in. Keep in mind that even if your engine transmission would no longer be covered by mods, the warranty would still be intact for all unrelated components. I had an 06 that I kept slightly past the end of the warranty and once it got close stuff started breaking on the interior. These S197s don't hold up very well over time, so a bumper-to-bumper warranty may end up being very useful even if you don't have certain components covered anymore.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Yeah Ford has really been cracking down on the warranty claims recently ... the whole #8 cyl and MT82 debacles have brought that to the forefront.

I got an extended warranty too but it only cost $600 with my x-plan since they sold it at cost, so there is no reason to cash it in. Keep in mind that even if your engine transmission would no longer be covered by mods, the warranty would still be intact for all unrelated components. I had an 06 that I kept slightly past the end of the warranty and once it got close stuff started breaking on the interior. These S197s don't hold up very well over time, so a bumper-to-bumper warranty may end up being very useful even if you don't have certain components covered anymore.
Good point, I'll keep mine and just keep the mods to a minimum. I never wanted to go crazy anyways really, just sticking to simple bolt-ons

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Good point, I'll keep mine and just keep the mods to a minimum. I never wanted to go crazy anyways really, just sticking to simple bolt-ons
Even if you do go crazy, they can't refuse to fix your seat or stereo because you have a supercharger. I'm keeping mine for that fact alone. It also helps with resale value or trade-in if/when the time comes.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Even if you do go crazy, they can't refuse to fix your seat or stereo because you have a supercharger. I'm keeping mine for that fact alone. It also helps with resale value or trade-in if/when the time comes.
True... You resold me the warranty lol. I was just about set on getting rid of it.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1 never even thought about it like that
BAMA sct tuner
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey View Post
FYI- they can not tell that you have ever had a custom tune on it. It's all bs.If they say they can and tell you that the warranty is void...make them show you. They can't.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Another FYI- the reason they , dealerships , rush to say that the warranty will not cover it is very much wrong of them. The problem lies with how much Ford will pay the dealer/techs to repair said problem...vs what the tech / dealer says it will take ( time ) if Ford says 2 hrs under warranty...and the dealer thinks it will take 4 hrs ..and can try to justify not filing it under warranty..they will charge you whatever they want to. Meaning they make more money.
They can tell on the 2011 and up......it's a whole different ballgame.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

according to the tech i spoke to today...if i put a custom tune on my car and bring it in to the shop ...he can tell...if i take it out and put the factory one back in..he can't tell me that i had a custom tune in it. He is the 2nd one to tell me this.
dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey
i have spoke to two Ford techs...one of them today ...they can't tell.
They don't know what they are talkin about.. It's prolly not a simple plug into the obdII port ordeal..
Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
*Watching this thread closely*
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey View Post
according to the tech i spoke to today...if i put a custom tune on my car and bring it in to the shop ...he can tell...if i take it out and put the factory one back in..he can't tell me that i had a custom tune in it. He is the 2nd one to tell me this.
He's wrong ... this has been discussed thoroughly. The ECU has a checksum that is altered when overwritten, and also keeps track of how many times and when it was overwritten. I don't care what the $12/hour tech believes, Ford engineering has a vastly superior amount of knowledge and ability concerning these matters. If you bring in a car with a blown block you can bet your *** they will pull the ECU and send it out to be analyzed.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He's wrong ... this has been discussed thoroughly. The ECU has a checksum that is altered when overwritten, and also keeps track of how many times and when it was overwritten. I don't care what the $12/hour tech believes, Ford engineering has a vastly superior amount of knowledge and ability concerning these matters. If you bring in a car with a blown block you can bet your *** they will pull the ECU and send it out to be analyzed.
And this is why im not doing a tune
Old 03-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
+1.....This topic has been beaten to death so many times. Maybe try the search button next time,it actually comes in pretty handy when in need of a quick answer.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
And this is why im not doing a tune
I'm not saying don't tune, just be aware of the potential risks. You mod any part of the car and you're losing warranty coverage on that part. Pretty damn simple IMO.

This isn't even touching the moral/ethical issues of the people who tune their cars, **** it up, then put the stock tune back on and pretend like they never did anything to it. I modded my engine, that has voided my warranty coverage of it unless the problem is unrelated. I accept that as any mature and responsible person should.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

How about if you buy a second ecu and swap it out
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
How about if you buy a second ecu and swap it out
Oh God ... Let's not go there again.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh God ... Let's not go there again.
Lmao i was just kidding haha id rather stay safe and not tune tho but thats just my opinion 55hp is not worth $40000
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50

Lmao i was just kidding haha id rather stay safe and not tune tho but thats just my opinion 55hp is not worth $40000
There is no way you could do $40k of damage with a tune... your choice to mod or not though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT