Best axleback exhaust for 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



View Poll Results: Best axleback exhaust without drone or excessive sound
Flowmaster Hushpower 1 3.03%
Roush 13 39.39%
GT500 7 21.21%
Stock 1 3.03%
Other 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
M3hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 183
Question Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for a better sounding axleback exhaust for my 5.0, I will not like to hear drone, neither too much sound to be a magnet for the local PD. I'm divided: Roush, Flowmaster Hushpower, the GT500 or stay stock
__________________
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
skyline247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 475
From the choices you listed, I would say Roush. However, I bought pypes pype bomb axle back and I should be installing them tomorrow...so I can let you know how those sound. Since they are muffler deletes, they will probably be louder than the ones you have listed here though.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

In case you haven't heard them already, american muscle has videos comparing all of these to the stock exhaust sound.
__________________
1988 GT - Stock

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for a better sounding axleback exhaust for my 5.0, I will not like to hear drone, neither too much sound to be a magnet for the local PD. I'm divided: Roush, Flowmaster Hushpower, the GT500 or stay stock
I'm running the hushpowers and they're amazing, almost no drone, quiet when cruising and loud when you want to get some speed
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bladezx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Borla makes awesome axle backs with no drone. I personally am getting full exhaust for mine. Kooks headers with Noel's car back s type or maybe atak
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx
Borla makes awesome axle backs with no drone. I personally am getting full exhaust for mine. Kooks headers with Noel's car back s type or maybe atak
The Borlas are also amazing... But twice the price...
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
I would say GT500 for just more sound that isn't overly loud.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bladezx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Or you can get Corsas they are pretty good axle. Look on YouTube there's good quality videos of new 5.0s with most exhausts
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 254
I have magneflow on mine and there is no drone at all and it's really loud when I get on it I've got alot of compliments on the sound
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
skyline247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
I would say GT500 for just more sound that isn't overly loud.
+1.

You should probably just listen to a ton of videos and decide for yourself. Honestly, you're probably going to get a bunch of different answers from everyone. In the end, it comes down to your personal preference for exhaust sound, imo.
__________________
1988 GT - Stock

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247

+1.

You should probably just listen to a ton of videos and decide for yourself. Honestly, you're probably going to get a bunch of different answers from everyone. In the end, it comes down to your personal preference for exhaust sound, imo.
+10. This is true
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
MarkJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 27
I just got the GT500s but haven't installed them yet. I was looking at the Borlas but the price for the GT500s was only $309.

I wanted something better sounding than the stock muffflers but wouldn't offend the neighbors.
MarkJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Registered User
Newbie
 
thamac15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 19
I loved the borla s type. Prolly too loud for what u described.
thamac15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 412
Re: Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

Love the Roush from vids, is it louder than gt500 considering both have o/r mid pipe.
__________________
Previous: '02 GT, '04 GT, '07 GT & a few chevys in between
'13 GT
Woodga16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
M3hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 183
Re: Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

Hi Guys,

From what I readed from your posts, apparently the one's that don't make any drone noise are the: GT500, Borla & Magnaflow
__________________
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
GE3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter
Hi Guys,

From what I readed from your posts, apparently the one's that don't make any drone noise are the: GT500, Borla & Magnaflow
Go with roush i have them and there is no drone...great price and noticably better sound and great fit and finish... I was in the same boat when i was choosing an axle back setup until i heard the roush in real life and not on computer.... Nice deep growl, you can cruise and its nice and stealthy but when you floor you just cant help but smile....go with the roush you wont regret it
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
I have the pypes super system best sounding v8 hands down
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bladezx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Look up loud mustang on YouTube. That's how I want mine to sound its a purple 2010 sounds lie a NASCAR
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
If you plan on goin w an offroad xpipe then check out this vid on YouTube.. It's called roush vs. hushpower vs. gt500s... Has all three on same car with an offroad x(no cats)... I have hushpowers.. I definitely like them but there is for sure a drone.. If I ever find someone to buy them then I'm switching to gt500s... My favorite of all the ones I've heard... And the cheapest! Lol
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Statesboro
Region: Georgia
Posts: 828
Custom built is the best. It's the cheapest and honestly your 50-100 dollar custom built axle back will sound the same as your 400+ dollar system + you can choose the exact tips you want
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
GE3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT
If you plan on goin w an offroad xpipe then check out this vid on YouTube.. It's called roush vs. hushpower vs. gt500s... Has all three on same car with an offroad x(no cats)... I have hushpowers.. I definitely like them but there is for sure a drone.. If I ever find someone to buy them then I'm switching to gt500s... My favorite of all the ones I've heard... And the cheapest! Lol
That was a great video thanks for the post.... I was not really impress with the roush and offroad x pipe....the roush on its own is a great set but with the x pipe was really raspy...
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Delta vt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamac15
I loved the borla s type. Prolly too loud for what u described.
Ya they are a bit on the loud side but are by far and away the best sounding
Delta vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
M3hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 183
Re: Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

I already made up my mind. I think that the best choice (for me) will be the GT500 axleback, for the reasons mentioned, (not drone, no getting atention from the PD), great sound and price. (I'm planning to keep the GT500 axleback exhaust, stock for the moment without the X Pipe or without removing the resonators.)
My second choice if I was not interested on the points mentioned above (drone, PD) , was the Roush axleback exhaust, mentioned by "Car and Driver" as one of their favorite exhausts sounds, and they really sound great (but very loud for my taste).
Flowmaster Hushpower,probably will fall somewhere in the middle, also a good choice.
On other axleback I can not comment, since I'm not well related to them, probably they also should be good, depending on personal choice.
__________________
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter
I already made up my mind. I think that the best choice (for me) will be the GT500 axleback, for the reasons mentioned, (not drone, no getting atention from the PD), great sound and price. (I'm planning to keep the GT500 axleback exhaust, stock for the moment without the X Pipe or without removing the resonators.)
My second choice if I was not interested on the points mentioned above (drone, PD) , was the Roush axleback exhaust, mentioned by "Car and Driver" as one of their favorite exhausts sounds, and they really sound great (but very loud for my taste).
Flowmaster Hushpower,probably will fall somewhere in the middle, also a good choice.
On other axleback I can not comment, since I'm not well related to them, probably they also should be good, depending on personal choice.
Good call!
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Notorious_rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 352
How come no one ever mentions steeda products anymore lol
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #25
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
Look up loud mustang on YouTube. That's how I want mine to sound its a purple 2010 sounds lie a NASCAR
Thats exactly what my 3V sounded like with Kooks LTs & H,HF cats and Mac Boomtubes. She was nasty (in a good way) but not so sure I would want it for a DD.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious_rob
How come no one ever mentions steeda products anymore lol
They do just not pertaining to exhaust.. I have Steeda CAI and rear LCAs...
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Notorious_rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 352
I know they make everythin but no one ever says anything about their exhaust in these types of conversations lol must not be the popular exhaust
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Untamed5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 295
I have the Borla axle-back exhaust and it sounds pretty good. Luckily for me the previous owner had it installed.
Untamed5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #29
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Screw the Pd! I say go balls deep and get somethin that sounds like an earthquake!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
drivinglesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Port Hueneme
Region: California
Posts: 201
Flowmaster 40's
__________________
2016 Mustang GT
drivinglesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 453
Re: Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
Go with roush i have them and there is no drone...great price and noticably better sound and great fit and finish... I was in the same boat when i was choosing an axle back setup until i heard the roush in real life and not on computer.... Nice deep growl, you can cruise and its nice and stealthy but when you floor you just cant help but smile....go with the roush you wont regret it
Agree ... the Roush is AWESOME. I traded an Altima 3.5SR with the Nismo cat-back exhaust and it droned terribly at 2000 - 2500RPM or so. The Roush on the Mustang doesn't see to drone anywhere ... it just sounds awesome all the time.

Obviously, sound is pretty subjective ... but there is definitely no drone from the Roush.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Agree ... the Roush is AWESOME. I traded an Altima 3.5SR with the Nismo cat-back exhaust and it droned terribly at 2000 - 2500RPM or so. The Roush on the Mustang doesn't see to drone anywhere ... it just sounds awesome all the time.

Obviously, sound is pretty subjective ... but there is definitely no drone from the Roush.
Yup ... no drone on the Roush here either. They are loud though, with an off-road X it sounds like a freakin NASCAR. GT500s will sound great, and be a lot more reasonable if you get an offroad X.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Raiderstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 51
I also have the Roush axle backs on my 12 5.0 and absolutely love them. I have however heard that have had some issues with rusting. I've had mine for 4 months, so far so good!
Raiderstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderstang
I also have the Roush axle backs on my 12 5.0 and absolutely love them. I have however heard that have had some issues with rusting. I've had mine for 4 months, so far so good!
Meh, it would just match the rest of the parts under the car that Ford didn't paint or coat. Rust resistance was probably the least of my concerns, I would buy a new set of these every other year if I had to in order to keep enjoying the sweet sound they make.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bad Pony 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 56
Re: Best axleback exhaust for 5.0

I just ordered Borla's for mine, can't wait for them to get here. got the S series
__________________
2012 Mustang GT Premium. Black w/Silver Racing Stripes. 6 Speed 412HP, Borla's
Bad Pony 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best known HP for a 4.6L 2 valve LAS97GT 1996-2004 Mustang GT 44 05-05-2012 08:14 PM
Vote For Most Riced Out Mustang meano1 General Car Discussion 64 04-15-2012 01:51 PM
Vote for your favorite T-shirt 99ford The Bar 96 03-26-2012 10:13 PM
Polish for welds 04machazblue Mustang Wheels & Tires 3 03-10-2012 08:26 PM
Tlock for 7.5 or craigslist a 8.8? V6 stang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 9 03-09-2012 11:16 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:11 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.