Mods that dont void the warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Mods that dont void the warranty

Hi guys, me again.

So i have the pypes supersystem catback on the car. Im not doing a tune because of the warranty void issues.

So i decided to do cheap reversible mods to increase power. Im starting with a throttle body spacer and roush cold air intake.

I have heard the cai nets 11hp, tb 6hp and the catback 22hp now all together on a good day since they all work together +40hp increase? Bull**** or possible? Im going to dyno after all the mods but i dont know what the car has dynoed stock so i cant compare.
Anything else i should add to the list for power thats easy reversible and cheap?

Im also getting drag radials, alum driveshaft and airbag suspension when the weather is warmer. Aiming for low 12's high 11's possibly
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
With out a tune your CAI and TB will be just paper weights!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
With out a tune your CAI and TB will be just paper weights!..
People claim that is not true and have dyno results...although i tend to agree with you since the same amount of air is flowing hence why no tune is needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50

People claim that is not true and have dyno results...although i tend to agree with you since the same amount of air is flowing hence why no tune is needed?
Like you said about the airflow!.. And also your TB is electronically controlled!.. So you can throw on a bigger TB and it will do little to no good at all!..
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Wouldnt suggest a bag setup if your hittin the drag strip and searching for lower times...
Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Doesn't Ford have a CAI/tune combo they instal that will not void the warranty? Granted my understanding is the gains are not as impressive but it meets your requirements.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Doesn't Ford have a CAI/tune combo they instal that will not void the warranty? Granted my understanding is the gains are not as impressive but it meets your requirements.
I've heard it really doesn't do anything... Basically as if you just used a cai alone.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

I've heard it really doesn't do anything... Basically as if you just used a cai alone.
Seems likely...
I was hoping bags would reduce wheel hop at the strip
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Control arms will cure that. They change the pinion angle to a more favorable degree.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Control arms will cure that. They change the pinion angle to a more favorable degree.
I think the reason control arms reduce wheel hop is due to having harder poly or spherical ends as opposed to the soft factory rubber.. Or at least that's the biggest reason..
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Mods that dont void the warranty

You could get some Type R stickers or something. I hear they add about 20HP each.

Control arms will help eliminate wheel hop, but they will likely void your suspension warranty so I doubt you would want them either
Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

your best bet is to do the Ford Racing changes that the dealer installs that maintains warranty.... otherwise pretty much anything you do that they dont like can make them void the warranty if they so choose.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

All my work was done by dealership to keep warrenty but it is alot more expensive
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #14

Region: California
Modding your car only voids the warranty if what you do is directly related to the issue.

For example: "ford, my front shock is making popping noises (and you haven't touched the suspension)

Ford: Uhh... That tune voids your warranty."

Ford cant do this. Read up on the Magnuson moss warranty act.
Bbak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbak91
Modding your car only voids the warranty if what you do is directly related to the issue.

For example: "ford, my front shock is making popping noises (and you haven't touched the suspension)

Ford: Uhh... That tune voids your warranty."

Ford cant do this. Read up on the Magnuson moss warranty act.
We are all tracking this. But he is concerned with his engine warranty. Which a tune voids. No if and or buts about it. What makes worse is Ford then black flags your vin number.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
We are all tracking this. But he is concerned with his engine warranty. Which a tune voids. No if and or buts about it. What makes worse is Ford then black flags your vin number.
He said that: "Im starting with a throttle body spacer and roush cold air intake."

He will be lucky if he sees a 5 horsepower gain MAX. The throttle body spacer is useless, and a CAI does practically nothing without modifying your engine tune to accept more air.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
Regarding this... it is very easy to claim that the CAI made gains without a tune simply by running the car in the least ideal and the most ideal conditions.

It simply isn't worth the money to get a CAI if you aren't going to tune the car.

I do think that Ford can do a 4.10 gears install for you and keep you in warranty. That would make your stang a lot more fun to drive.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:

He said that: "Im starting with a throttle body spacer and roush cold air intake."

He will be lucky if he sees a 5 horsepower gain MAX. The throttle body spacer is useless, and a CAI does practically nothing without modifying your engine tune to accept more air.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Regarding this... it is very easy to claim that the CAI made gains without a tune simply by running the car in the least ideal and the most ideal conditions.

It simply isn't worth the money to get a CAI if you aren't going to tune the car.

I do think that Ford can do a 4.10 gears install for you and keep you in warranty. That would make your stang a lot more fun to drive.
I agree he will see little gain. For the matter many have proven CAI are worthless on these cars. Track testing all done.

Dyno numbers can be fudged. Testing with Hood open shows some great gains for open filter compared to closed. Its pretty even when doing closed Hood dyno.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Also 4.10s are not way to go with these cars and tranny. 3.90 seems to be the perfect gear.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Im concerned about the power train warranty i can honestly tell u i dont care about the rest. My dealer told me anything aftermarket is not warranty approved including gears even non ford oil/filter which is bull**** they have no idea what they are talking about...should i go to another dealer?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Im concerned about the power train warranty i can honestly tell u i dont care about the rest. My dealer told me anything aftermarket is not warranty approved including gears even non ford oil/filter which is bull**** they have no idea what they are talking about...should i go to another dealer?
Umm... I have had a ford racing performance parts suspension kit installed by Ford and had it warrantied....

They are right about non-ford things, but ford makes gears and full suspension upgrades that should BOTH be covered by your warranty if they are installed by the dealership...
Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Umm... I have had a ford racing performance parts suspension kit installed by Ford and had it warrantied....

They are right about non-ford things, but ford makes gears and full suspension upgrades that should BOTH be covered by your warranty if they are installed by the dealership...
Keep in mind that a lot of this is up to the individual dealership!.. Also some of these FRPP may have to be installed by a authorized Ford dealer!.. In other words, that particular dealership has to be authorized/certified, by Ford to install and warranty certain items!.. I know this sounds a bit weird but I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership!.. The owner of that dealership owns another Ford dealership!.. The one place is certified to install and warranty FRPP parts!.. The other one isn't, outside of OEM parts!..
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Keep in mind that a lot of this is up to the individual dealership!.. Also some of these FRPP may have to be installed by a authorized Ford dealer!.. In other words, that particular dealership has to be authorized/certified, by Ford to install and warranty certain items!.. I know this sounds a bit weird but I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership!.. The owner of that dealership owns another Ford dealership!.. The one place is certified to install and warranty FRPP parts!.. The other one isn't, outside of OEM parts!..
It's not up to the dealerships anymore.. Ford has made it to where you have to go through Ford to make warranty claims.. When my wheels were chipping they were gonna have to wait for a ford engineer to come in and o.k. the warranty claim in order to replace them.. BUT I know literally everyone at the dealership (small town 13,000 people) and was able to talk them into painting them instead which is all I really wanted anyway..
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I think the reason control arms reduce wheel hop is due to having harder poly or spherical ends as opposed to the soft factory rubber.. Or at least that's the biggest reason..
Ummmm... Ok..
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ummmm... Ok..
I have the Steeda non adjustables which don't change the pinion angle and no wheel hop.. I did also lower the car though..
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's not up to the dealerships anymore.. Ford has made it to where you have to go through Ford to make warranty claims.. When my wheels were chipping they were gonna have to wait for a ford engineer to come in and o.k. the warranty claim in order to replace them.. BUT I know literally everyone at the dealership (small town 13,000 people) and was able to talk them into painting them instead which is all I really wanted anyway..
Every area is different and every dealership is different!.. To sit there and say that because one dealership does this, or that!.. Doesn't mean they are all like that!.. Like I said before, I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership that is one of two owned by the same individual!.. The one is authorized to do work and warranty certain things that the other can not!..
Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Every area is different and every dealership is different!.. To sit there and say that because one dealership does this, or that!.. Doesn't mean they are all like that!.. Like I said before, I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership that is one of two owned by the same individual!.. The one is authorized to do work and warranty certain things that the other can not!..
I'm not saying they can't warranty the frpp parts n what not just that if your tranny or something like that goes, or like my situation w my wheels that they have to get it approved through Ford or they dont get payed for it..
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm not saying they can't warranty the frpp parts n what not just that if your tranny or something like that goes, or like my situation w my wheels that they have to get it approved through Ford or they dont get payed for it..
That may be true!.. But I was talking about the FRPP parts!.. Lol
Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

I have the Steeda non adjustables which don't change the pinion angle and no wheel hop.. I did also lower the car though..
I'd be willing to bet they do.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah but not All frpp are warantied like their tuners and cai combos or even the 624hp supercharged
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The 550hp supercharger is for my 4.6 is warrantied everything they did was warrantied on my car
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat
The 550hp supercharger is for my 4.6 is warrantied everything they did was warrantied on my car
Yes i know some things are like the 524hp supercharger for the 5.0 is warranties and i think their reasoning is because its oem on the gt350, where the 624hp isnt oem on anything
Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50

Yes i know some things are like the 524hp supercharger for the 5.0 is warranties and i think their reasoning is because its oem on the gt350, where the 624hp isnt oem on anything
The Shelby GT350 is not a Ford oem vehicle. It's a car modified post title by Shelby, unlike the GT500 which was designed by SVT and assemble by ford pre-title.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I'd be willing to bet they do.
Really they shouldn't since you make t hem the same length. Now having them adlustable lets you adjust them and what not.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Also the 524hp kit for the 5.0 was out before the GT350. The 625hp kit is warrantied simply becuase ford sucks. LOL. Ran into a guy with a Ford installed 625hp kit. Car only made 546whp. He had the dyno sheet and all. He even had full exhaust. He was telling us his buddy got the 524hp kit installed bu ford and made 450whp. Both kits are outragous in price.

If you ask me that is a rip off. They both had paid over 10k installed and for blower for 450/550whp. No thabks. Guys make 450 with blt ons. And other s with blower are all over 600whp. For way less then they paid. Warranty or not screw that.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Really they shouldn't since you make t hem the same length. Now having them adlustable lets you adjust them and what not.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Also the 524hp kit for the 5.0 was out before the GT350. The 625hp kit is warrantied simply becuase ford sucks. LOL. Ran into a guy with a Ford installed 625hp kit. Car only made 546whp. He had the dyno sheet and all. He even had full exhaust. He was telling us his buddy got the 524hp kit installed bu ford and made 450whp. Both kits are outragous in price.

If you ask me that is a rip off. They both had paid over 10k installed and for blower for 450/550whp. No thabks. Guys make 450 with blt ons. And other s with blower are all over 600whp. For way less then they paid. Warranty or not screw that.
In that case I'd just buy bushings lol
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:

In that case I'd just buy bushings lol
LOL..if you lower, then have relocation mounts you want them adjustable. The stock pieces do flex compared to aftermarket ones.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What sucks is Ford markets this car to go fast. They know 90% of buyers are going to customize there stangs! If they can get out of it they will!
Raiderstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT