Mods that dont void the warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Mods that dont void the warranty

Hi guys, me again.

So i have the pypes supersystem catback on the car. Im not doing a tune because of the warranty void issues.

So i decided to do cheap reversible mods to increase power. Im starting with a throttle body spacer and roush cold air intake.

I have heard the cai nets 11hp, tb 6hp and the catback 22hp now all together on a good day since they all work together +40hp increase? Bull**** or possible? Im going to dyno after all the mods but i dont know what the car has dynoed stock so i cant compare.
Anything else i should add to the list for power thats easy reversible and cheap?

Im also getting drag radials, alum driveshaft and airbag suspension when the weather is warmer. Aiming for low 12's high 11's possibly
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
With out a tune your CAI and TB will be just paper weights!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
With out a tune your CAI and TB will be just paper weights!..
People claim that is not true and have dyno results...although i tend to agree with you since the same amount of air is flowing hence why no tune is needed?
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50

People claim that is not true and have dyno results...although i tend to agree with you since the same amount of air is flowing hence why no tune is needed?
Like you said about the airflow!.. And also your TB is electronically controlled!.. So you can throw on a bigger TB and it will do little to no good at all!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Wouldnt suggest a bag setup if your hittin the drag strip and searching for lower times...
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Doesn't Ford have a CAI/tune combo they instal that will not void the warranty? Granted my understanding is the gains are not as impressive but it meets your requirements.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Doesn't Ford have a CAI/tune combo they instal that will not void the warranty? Granted my understanding is the gains are not as impressive but it meets your requirements.
I've heard it really doesn't do anything... Basically as if you just used a cai alone.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

I've heard it really doesn't do anything... Basically as if you just used a cai alone.
Seems likely...
I was hoping bags would reduce wheel hop at the strip
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Control arms will cure that. They change the pinion angle to a more favorable degree.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Control arms will cure that. They change the pinion angle to a more favorable degree.
I think the reason control arms reduce wheel hop is due to having harder poly or spherical ends as opposed to the soft factory rubber.. Or at least that's the biggest reason..
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Mods that dont void the warranty

You could get some Type R stickers or something. I hear they add about 20HP each.

Control arms will help eliminate wheel hop, but they will likely void your suspension warranty so I doubt you would want them either
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Mods that dont void the warranty

your best bet is to do the Ford Racing changes that the dealer installs that maintains warranty.... otherwise pretty much anything you do that they dont like can make them void the warranty if they so choose.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 254
All my work was done by dealership to keep warrenty but it is alot more expensive
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: California
Posts: 12
Modding your car only voids the warranty if what you do is directly related to the issue.

For example: "ford, my front shock is making popping noises (and you haven't touched the suspension)

Ford: Uhh... That tune voids your warranty."


Ford cant do this. Read up on the Magnuson moss warranty act.
Bbak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbak91
Modding your car only voids the warranty if what you do is directly related to the issue.

For example: "ford, my front shock is making popping noises (and you haven't touched the suspension)

Ford: Uhh... That tune voids your warranty."

Ford cant do this. Read up on the Magnuson moss warranty act.
We are all tracking this. But he is concerned with his engine warranty. Which a tune voids. No if and or buts about it. What makes worse is Ford then black flags your vin number.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: California
Posts: 12
Re: Mods that dont void the warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
We are all tracking this. But he is concerned with his engine warranty. Which a tune voids. No if and or buts about it. What makes worse is Ford then black flags your vin number.
He said that: "Im starting with a throttle body spacer and roush cold air intake."

He will be lucky if he sees a 5 horsepower gain MAX. The throttle body spacer is useless, and a CAI does practically nothing without modifying your engine tune to accept more air.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
People claim that is not true and have dyno results...although i tend to agree with you since the same amount of air is flowing hence why no tune is needed?
Regarding this... it is very easy to claim that the CAI made gains without a tune simply by running the car in the least ideal and the most ideal conditions.

It simply isn't worth the money to get a CAI if you aren't going to tune the car.

I do think that Ford can do a 4.10 gears install for you and keep you in warranty. That would make your stang a lot more fun to drive.
Bbak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbak91

He said that: "Im starting with a throttle body spacer and roush cold air intake."

He will be lucky if he sees a 5 horsepower gain MAX. The throttle body spacer is useless, and a CAI does practically nothing without modifying your engine tune to accept more air.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------



Regarding this... it is very easy to claim that the CAI made gains without a tune simply by running the car in the least ideal and the most ideal conditions.

It simply isn't worth the money to get a CAI if you aren't going to tune the car.

I do think that Ford can do a 4.10 gears install for you and keep you in warranty. That would make your stang a lot more fun to drive.
I agree he will see little gain. For the matter many have proven CAI are worthless on these cars. Track testing all done.

Dyno numbers can be fudged. Testing with Hood open shows some great gains for open filter compared to closed. Its pretty even when doing closed Hood dyno.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Also 4.10s are not way to go with these cars and tranny. 3.90 seems to be the perfect gear.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Im concerned about the power train warranty i can honestly tell u i dont care about the rest. My dealer told me anything aftermarket is not warranty approved including gears even non ford oil/filter which is bull**** they have no idea what they are talking about...should i go to another dealer?
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: California
Posts: 12
Re: Mods that dont void the warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
Im concerned about the power train warranty i can honestly tell u i dont care about the rest. My dealer told me anything aftermarket is not warranty approved including gears even non ford oil/filter which is bull**** they have no idea what they are talking about...should i go to another dealer?
Umm... I have had a ford racing performance parts suspension kit installed by Ford and had it warrantied....

They are right about non-ford things, but ford makes gears and full suspension upgrades that should BOTH be covered by your warranty if they are installed by the dealership...
Bbak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbak91

Umm... I have had a ford racing performance parts suspension kit installed by Ford and had it warrantied....

They are right about non-ford things, but ford makes gears and full suspension upgrades that should BOTH be covered by your warranty if they are installed by the dealership...
Keep in mind that a lot of this is up to the individual dealership!.. Also some of these FRPP may have to be installed by a authorized Ford dealer!.. In other words, that particular dealership has to be authorized/certified, by Ford to install and warranty certain items!.. I know this sounds a bit weird but I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership!.. The owner of that dealership owns another Ford dealership!.. The one place is certified to install and warranty FRPP parts!.. The other one isn't, outside of OEM parts!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Keep in mind that a lot of this is up to the individual dealership!.. Also some of these FRPP may have to be installed by a authorized Ford dealer!.. In other words, that particular dealership has to be authorized/certified, by Ford to install and warranty certain items!.. I know this sounds a bit weird but I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership!.. The owner of that dealership owns another Ford dealership!.. The one place is certified to install and warranty FRPP parts!.. The other one isn't, outside of OEM parts!..
It's not up to the dealerships anymore.. Ford has made it to where you have to go through Ford to make warranty claims.. When my wheels were chipping they were gonna have to wait for a ford engineer to come in and o.k. the warranty claim in order to replace them.. BUT I know literally everyone at the dealership (small town 13,000 people) and was able to talk them into painting them instead which is all I really wanted anyway..
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I think the reason control arms reduce wheel hop is due to having harder poly or spherical ends as opposed to the soft factory rubber.. Or at least that's the biggest reason..
Ummmm... Ok..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Ummmm... Ok..
I have the Steeda non adjustables which don't change the pinion angle and no wheel hop.. I did also lower the car though..
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

It's not up to the dealerships anymore.. Ford has made it to where you have to go through Ford to make warranty claims.. When my wheels were chipping they were gonna have to wait for a ford engineer to come in and o.k. the warranty claim in order to replace them.. BUT I know literally everyone at the dealership (small town 13,000 people) and was able to talk them into painting them instead which is all I really wanted anyway..
Every area is different and every dealership is different!.. To sit there and say that because one dealership does this, or that!.. Doesn't mean they are all like that!.. Like I said before, I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership that is one of two owned by the same individual!.. The one is authorized to do work and warranty certain things that the other can not!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Every area is different and every dealership is different!.. To sit there and say that because one dealership does this, or that!.. Doesn't mean they are all like that!.. Like I said before, I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership that is one of two owned by the same individual!.. The one is authorized to do work and warranty certain things that the other can not!..
I'm not saying they can't warranty the frpp parts n what not just that if your tranny or something like that goes, or like my situation w my wheels that they have to get it approved through Ford or they dont get payed for it..
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I'm not saying they can't warranty the frpp parts n what not just that if your tranny or something like that goes, or like my situation w my wheels that they have to get it approved through Ford or they dont get payed for it..
That may be true!.. But I was talking about the FRPP parts!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I have the Steeda non adjustables which don't change the pinion angle and no wheel hop.. I did also lower the car though..
I'd be willing to bet they do.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Yeah but not All frpp are warantied like their tuners and cai combos or even the 624hp supercharged
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 254
The 550hp supercharger is for my 4.6 is warrantied everything they did was warrantied on my car
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat
The 550hp supercharger is for my 4.6 is warrantied everything they did was warrantied on my car
Yes i know some things are like the 524hp supercharger for the 5.0 is warranties and i think their reasoning is because its oem on the gt350, where the 624hp isnt oem on anything
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50

Yes i know some things are like the 524hp supercharger for the 5.0 is warranties and i think their reasoning is because its oem on the gt350, where the 624hp isnt oem on anything
The Shelby GT350 is not a Ford oem vehicle. It's a car modified post title by Shelby, unlike the GT500 which was designed by SVT and assemble by ford pre-title.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #32
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Mods that dont void the warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I'd be willing to bet they do.
Really they shouldn't since you make t hem the same length. Now having them adlustable lets you adjust them and what not.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
Yes i know some things are like the 524hp supercharger for the 5.0 is warranties and i think their reasoning is because its oem on the gt350, where the 624hp isnt oem on anything
Also the 524hp kit for the 5.0 was out before the GT350. The 625hp kit is warrantied simply becuase ford sucks. LOL. Ran into a guy with a Ford installed 625hp kit. Car only made 546whp. He had the dyno sheet and all. He even had full exhaust. He was telling us his buddy got the 524hp kit installed bu ford and made 450whp. Both kits are outragous in price.


If you ask me that is a rip off. They both had paid over 10k installed and for blower for 450/550whp. No thabks. Guys make 450 with blt ons. And other s with blower are all over 600whp. For way less then they paid. Warranty or not screw that.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Really they shouldn't since you make t hem the same length. Now having them adlustable lets you adjust them and what not.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------



Also the 524hp kit for the 5.0 was out before the GT350. The 625hp kit is warrantied simply becuase ford sucks. LOL. Ran into a guy with a Ford installed 625hp kit. Car only made 546whp. He had the dyno sheet and all. He even had full exhaust. He was telling us his buddy got the 524hp kit installed bu ford and made 450whp. Both kits are outragous in price.

If you ask me that is a rip off. They both had paid over 10k installed and for blower for 450/550whp. No thabks. Guys make 450 with blt ons. And other s with blower are all over 600whp. For way less then they paid. Warranty or not screw that.
In that case I'd just buy bushings lol
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

In that case I'd just buy bushings lol
LOL..if you lower, then have relocation mounts you want them adjustable. The stock pieces do flex compared to aftermarket ones.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Raiderstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 51
What sucks is Ford markets this car to go fast. They know 90% of buyers are going to customize there stangs! If they can get out of it they will!
Raiderstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extended warranty GrabberBlue5.0 2011-2014 Mustang GT 68 03-28-2012 08:30 AM
2 Power adding kits, one i will purchase at the end gregtommy 2011-2014 Mustang GT 25 03-12-2012 08:20 PM
Going to spend the extra cash saved during winter 89Saleen141 1979-1995 Mustang GT 5 03-10-2012 09:54 PM
She's out of the stable! sonicpony03 The Bar 3 03-09-2012 09:06 PM
Updated Pictures on the Graffiti (pic heavy) Topless04GT Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing 2 03-09-2012 03:27 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:14 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.