Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Installed New GT500 Axle Back Mufflers

10K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  IFlyEm 
#1 ·
I decided a month ago that I wanted some new mufflers for my 2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Premium. Since you in theory just bolt off the clamp holding the stock mufflers in place and bolt on the new ones, I thought it might be doable.

I did a lot of research on what to buy. My criteria was to get something that sounded better and throatier than the stock mufflers but would not annoy the neighbors (I'm an older guy anyway).

So, I had finally decided on the Borla Touring Axle Backs at about $754 for the pair. Then, a sales guy at American Muscle recommended taking a look at the Ford Racing GT500 Axle Backs that were less than 1/2 the price of the Borlas and were supposedly not too loud. So I listened to all the YouTube clips of the GT500s I could find then decided to pull the trigger.

I bought them online from AmericanRestoration last week for $309 plus tax and free shipping. They arrived this past Tuesday.

My friend had agreed to help me install them, so we started the project yesterday afternoon. He had a floor jack and some lifts so we were able to put the rear of the car up so we could work underneath.

We then went about removing the right stock muffler. No problem removing the clamp holding the muffler to the pipe or the rear support bracket. Pulling the muffler out of the front rubber brackets proved to be quite a problem. We just couldn't get enough room to slide the muffler forward enough to release the supports from the rubber. And yes, we did you silicone spray on them. We finally decided to cut one of the support arms off the old muffler and when we did this, we were able to finally remove the old muffler. I was wanting to sell the stock mufflers on Ebay, but that won't happen now.

Now, on to installing the new GT500 muffler. It went fairly smoothly. We had to loosen to bracket holding the front rubber supports in order to get everything lined up and eventually installed and tightened, but it wasn't too bad.

We then removed the left OEM muffler in the same was as the first one, cutting the support arms on it, thereby destroying it but making pretty easy to remove. We decided to install the new one a little differently by completely removing the front rubber bracket from under the car and installing it on the muffler first. It went OK, but it was a bear reinstalling the bracket underneath the car with the muffler attached to it. We finally did it and tightened everything up.

Overall the project took us about three hours with two guys that had never installed a muffler before. We could probably do it in less time now that we've done it, but overall I don't think it's as simple as some of the online posting about the process suggests.

In the end, I really like the way the GT500 Axle Backs sound on my 2012 GT 5.0. They have a deeper, throatier sound I was looking for and really bring a smile to you face when you open it up. Very nice.

My friend that helped me has a 2011 GT Premium with the Brembo package, so we'll probably do another install on his car next. At least now we know what we're doing.

See less See more
#2 ·
Boy oh boy, ain't it the truth. The instructions always sound easier than actually doing the installation. I plan to get the same mufflers for my 2012 GT. Mine is black on black and I love the color of yours. I plan to have mine installed at a dealer that sells the FRPP. I think I'm going to get the X pipe installed at the same time. I just installed the FRPP Procal II tune and man does it light up the car, just enough without getting out of control.

Enjoy your car and your new 'sound.'

#4 ·
Only took me and my step dad a lil over an hour to put my hushpowers on.. In a cramped single car garage and using only a floor jack..

#6 ·
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
Sounds like you had the one easy one lol
Ya I guess so.. It was a beast to get out of the rubber hangers if I remember correctly but between the 2 of us we managed to wrestle it out..

#10 ·
Wow... The first time I swapped mine (had never done exhaust previously), it took me about 30 minutes, including setting up the ramps. Now that I've done it 5-6 times, it's a 10-minute job. Unbolting the front (closest to the axle) hangers is the key. There's a total 7 13mm bolts (2 clamps, 3 bolts r/side hanger, 2 bolts l/side). I do the entire job with a ratchet, a deep 13mm socket and a 10" extension for a couple of the bolts.
Of course, I've never tried putting anything a big as the OE mufflers on. That would make *some* difference.

#11 ·
tylerb said:
why didn't you just unscrew the hangers and nothing would be broke

MarkJones said:
Didn't know to do that. Plus, tight fit for the wrench with the mufflers on.
jbt56 said:
I do the entire job with a ratchet, a deep 13mm socket and a 10" extension for a couple of the bolts.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to throw in a tip I discovered when I installed my GT500 mufflers a few days ago.

All I needed were the same tools jbt56 used and a lot of the threads I read before tackling the job mention what a PIA the center bolt is to get out with a wrench. I found that by taking the rearmost (next to the exhaust tip) support arm out of the rubber hanger bracket, I could slide the muffler all the way to the back of the car and had no problem whatsoever reaching the center bolt with my ratchet.

I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else and thought I would throw that out there and maybe make it an easier job for others. Once I discovered that, the next muffler was out in about 5 minutes.

#13 ·
on another note, anyone see the gt500 axle backs are now $500? I mean wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Just checked AM to verify that. Mind blown. $500? Are you serious? I have them and I love the sound(post resonators being deleted) but the only reason I bought them was that I got them brand new for $300 shipped. If they were $500 when I went to buy them I'd have a ROUSH axleback on my car right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.