faux gas cap removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
faux gas cap removal

What's the safest way of getting this off w/o scratching? I'm gonna get vinyl done on the trunk.
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
1)fishing line first to get outside ring of double sided tape. 2) some sort of pry bar(some people use putty knifes, I used a hand towel and a long screwdriver) 3) once you can get your fingers behind it just pull as hard as you can and it with pop off. It's got two plastic mounts in the center and more double sided tape. Just keep pulling and the mounts will either break or let loose.
Delta vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Fishing line is a nice idea thanks... I guess a heat gun works to loosen that double sided tape right? Those plastic mounts, can they be undone? Or I just pull the whole cap off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2
Fishing line is a nice idea thanks... I guess a heat gun works to loosen that double sided tape right? Those plastic mounts, can they be undone? Or I just pull the whole cap off?
If the mounts can be undone I have no clue how. I am an engineer and couldn't figure out how so I doubt they can be undone. From what I see it was not designed to be taken off. I've heard goods about a heat gun I just don't have one so I didn't need to use it. But like I said once you can get your fingers behind it just pull like hell and it will give way
Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta vt

If the mounts can be undone I have no clue how. I am an engineer and couldn't figure out how so I doubt they can be undone. From what I see it was not designed to be taken off. I've heard goods about a heat gun I just don't have one so I didn't need to use it. But like I said once you can get your fingers behind it just pull like hell and it will give way
OK, once they come off do they go back in easily? Or they just break off? Plus once installing again I'm sure u gotta scrape off All the tape and redo right? I guess u can get a body shop to retape?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2

OK, once they come off do they go back in easily? Or they just break off? Plus once installing again I'm sure u gotta scrape off All the tape and redo right? I guess u can get a body shop to retape?
My mounts didn't break. They just sit in two holes in the trunk and I assume you can just put it back. I didn't put my badge back on but I would just use double sided tape you can buy just about anywhere. But you definitely want to get all the old tape off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT