Tips/advice for O/R X-Pipe install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tips/advice for O/R X-Pipe install

Well my Lethal Performance X-Pipe just showed up, i will be installing tonight or tomorrow morning. Anyone that has installed an aftermarket mid pipe have any advice or tips, i would really appreciate it. I have a jack and 4 stands so my fat *** can get under there safely, will i need a torque wrench or any special tools? I haven't been under the car yet, so not sure what all will be involved in taking stock pipe off and adding this one. Thanks in advance for the tips.

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganDonor
Well my Lethal Performance X-Pipe just showed up, i will be installing tonight or tomorrow morning. Anyone that has installed an aftermarket mid pipe have any advice or tips, i would really appreciate it. I have a jack and 4 stands so my fat *** can get under there safely, will i need a torque wrench or any special tools? I haven't been under the car yet, so not sure what all will be involved in taking stock pipe off and adding this one. Thanks in advance for the tips.
it's the 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 I think you need a 15 millimeter socket and ratchet maybe a hammer it could be a 13 millimeter socket not sure
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Tips/advice for O/R X-Pipe install

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
it's the 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 I think you need a 15 millimeter socket and ratchet maybe a hammer it could be a 13 millimeter socket not sure
Perfect.. Those are the kind of projects i can handle.. Think ill put it on tonight so i can crank it up nice n late, while the wife is sleeping.. I love waking her up..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I posted a write up on this a while ago, you should be able to find it if you search for something along the lines of x pipe install notes.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Your going to need a really long extension or a couple 10" put together for the passenger side bolt closest to fender on cats.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Your going to need a really long extension or a couple 10" put together for the passenger side bolt closest to fender on cats.
Your rite, I spaced that part.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Road Trip!

When put O2 sensors back in twist them so when go to put in they untwisted.

Also no torque wrench needed. Good and tight works fine.

I also see they changed their design.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Holy F_c_Tits... I am so glad my little 2 1/2 ton jack couldn't get car high enough for my fat_ss to work under there. Instead of going out and getting a bigger jack, i borrowed one from a bud, and he insisted on helping me. I am so glad he did.

Napoleon, thanks for the write up you did, sure did come in handy..
I did go out and buy a 20 inch extension before starting. defiantly needed for the one on the passenger side that you have to get to from engine compartment. .

as for braking the nuts loose, 1st we tried without the penetrating oil, but like everyone said, it is needed. we used Kano Kroil, i truly believe it is the best in the world. Spray a little of that on, waited about 2 minutes and the nuts broke loose. no problems.

From start to finish, took 2 1/2 hours but that included a 30 minute dinner break, When the wife cooks, everyone must stop what they are doing and eat.

Everyone has told me it would be crazy loud with Roush AB's and O/R X-Pipe..
On the cold start it is.. it is real loud until it warms up a bit and idles down, Then it's not much louder than before. Leisurely driving down the road isn't too loud, not much louder than before. But when i jump on it, Holy Sh_t snacks... it sounds so Bad_ss..

All of my neighbors are old.. hope they took their hearing aid out before they went to bed cause i leave for work at 0430..

Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Kano kroil is by far the best. Works when a torch an cherry red doesn't .
Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
When put O2 sensors back in twist them so when go to put in they untwisted.

Also no torque wrench needed. Good and tight works fine.

I also see they changed their design.
Probably a dumb question.... Why do you need the rear sensors if running a tune. The tune turns off rear sensors no? Confused. And eager to lose cats!!
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganDonor View Post
Holy F_c_Tits... I am so glad my little 2 1/2 ton jack couldn't get car high enough for my fat_ss to work under there. Instead of going out and getting a bigger jack, i borrowed one from a bud, and he insisted on helping me. I am so glad he did.

Napoleon, thanks for the write up you did, sure did come in handy..
I did go out and buy a 20 inch extension before starting. defiantly needed for the one on the passenger side that you have to get to from engine compartment. .

as for braking the nuts loose, 1st we tried without the penetrating oil, but like everyone said, it is needed. we used Kano Kroil, i truly believe it is the best in the world. Spray a little of that on, waited about 2 minutes and the nuts broke loose. no problems.

From start to finish, took 2 1/2 hours but that included a 30 minute dinner break, When the wife cooks, everyone must stop what they are doing and eat.

Everyone has told me it would be crazy loud with Roush AB's and O/R X-Pipe..
On the cold start it is.. it is real loud until it warms up a bit and idles down, Then it's not much louder than before. Leisurely driving down the road isn't too loud, not much louder than before. But when i jump on it, Holy Sh_t snacks... it sounds so Bad_ss..

All of my neighbors are old.. hope they took their hearing aid out before they went to bed cause i leave for work at 0430..
Glad the write-up helped. Those bolts are total PITA to break loose. We used ZEP penetrating lubricant and it's the best stuff I've ever used but I might have to check out this Kain Kroil stuff.

I think the loudness is just about right. It's not ridiculous with the exception of a cold start (which tends to put the fear of God into people) and when you get heavy on the throttle. Just cruising around town (2500RPM or less) I doubt many people would think it's any kind of crazy exhaust setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich mustang View Post
Probably a dumb question.... Why do you need the rear sensors if running a tune. The tune turns off rear sensors no? Confused. And eager to lose cats!!
For lack of a better answer, I'm going to go with "because you don't want to have holes in your exhaust, and you may need them some day and dont want them to get damaged by dangling off the car."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT