Auto to Manual on '11 GT - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
I watch nhra drag racing. I know what they have in them. I never said that my car was fast in any way do why hate on me because of my v6? Manuals have always been known to be lighter and cheaper to own than an automatic. that was the point I was my point.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Doesn't adding anything to your car void warranty though?
Lol why do you hate on the guys w autos? That's why we hate on you for having a v6.. We don't come to your section and say "shoulda had a V8" do we? No.. You said nothing about it being cheaper to own and lighter you said it was "lazy"... I have a manual and yes its fun but if I had known the MT-82 issues and the lack there of on the autos I woulda went auto.. Has nothing to do w laziness.. It's peace of mind to know your tranny isn't gonna go just cuz you added a cold air intake.. Or possibly even nothing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Lol why do you hate on the guys w autos? That's why we hate on you for having a v6.. We don't come to your section and say "shoulda had a V8" do we? No.. You said nothing about it being cheaper to own and lighter you said it was "lazy"... I have a manual and yes its fun but if I had known the MT-82 issues and the lack there of on the autos I woulda went auto.. Has nothing to do w laziness.. It's peace of mind to know your tranny isn't gonna go just cuz you added a cold air intake.. Or possibly even nothing!
+11.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballing0416
Sadly, the only option is to trade it in...unless you want to waste 5 grand when you could trade it in for a 5 speed and use that 5 grand for a supercharger!!
The new stangs are 6 speeds even the auto.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Re: Auto to Manual on '11 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
oh god, here we go. You must have stumbled over from AFM.
I did not stumble over from AFM ! whatever that is .

I have seen the manuals that ran 10's many times JJ's car and Adam from Revolution as well . JJ tuned my car and Ive seen his car run many times he is a straight up and knowledgeable guy to work with and stated exactly what the mods and changes were for that run there was not alot of weight taken out front sway bar, big and littles, race seat nothing most racers both manual and auto dont do to try to go fast . I am by no means cutting on the automatics or saying the Getrag is all that . If the dude prefers a manual go for it if he wants to stay with the auto thats cool too . I am not the greatest driver by any means but I have made many passes in my car I know the sport pretty well and I enjoy racing a manual is all . Hey wnt2gofst are you going to come to MIR for the NMRA ? I'd love to see that car run . I think I am going to run in Modular Muscle , or Open comp not sure yet .
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #40
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ View Post
I did not stumble over from AFM ! whatever that is .

I have seen the manuals that ran 10's many times JJ's car and Adam from Revolution as well . JJ tuned my car and Ive seen his car run many times he is a straight up and knowledgeable guy to work with and stated exactly what the mods and changes were for that run there was not alot of weight taken out front sway bar, big and littles, race seat nothing most racers both manual and auto dont do to try to go fast . I am by no means cutting on the automatics or saying the Getrag is all that . If the dude prefers a manual go for it if he wants to stay with the auto thats cool too . I am not the greatest driver by any means but I have made many passes in my car I know the sport pretty well and I enjoy racing a manual is all . Hey wnt2gofst are you going to come to MIR for the NMRA ? I'd love to see that car run . I think I am going to run in Modular Muscle , or Open comp not sure yet .
JJ car has went 10's a few times. Its not consistant at all. Look what just did in Fl. Bunch of 11's. Not top mention the car weighs 3500lbs with him in it. It has more weight taken out then you think ie no back seats no passenger seat. Plus he runs at Cecil. The fastest track in the country minus MIR. Always negative DA in the winter when oh ya he ran the 10's. He don't run them with positive DA. It was almost -1000 for a DA. That is beyond ideal weather. Look how the same car ran in FL for the shoot out. All 11 time slips.

Revolution has ported heads in his car also. Plus he has Boss cams in it. I know I talked to him about his car.

I will not be at MIR. It is almost 1600 miles for me. A little to far to travel. I am waiting on my tuner to get back in town to tune for my stall.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
JJ car has went 10's a few times. Its not consistant at all. Look what just did in Fl. Bunch of 11's. Not top mention the car weighs 3500lbs with him in it. It has more weight taken out then you think. Plus he runs at Cecil. The fastest track in the country minus MIR. Always negative DA in the winter when oh ya he ran the 10's. He don't run them with positive DA. It was almost -1000 for a DA. That is beyond ideal weather. Look how the same car ran in FL for the shoot out. All 11 time slips.

Revolution has ported heads in his car also. Plus he has Boss cams in it. I know I talked to him about his car.

I will not be at MIR. It is almost 1600 miles for me. A little to far to travel. I am waiting on my tuner to get back in town to tune for my stall.
Yeah that is a ways to go too bad . Thats where I run at MIR and Cecil and Capital which aint so great but close to my house . I know the 10 was an anomoly in great air and I never said it ran 10s consistently . Just saying these cars both manual and auto are capable of 10's with bolt ons yeah 11s is more the norm. My car weighs 3600 with me in it only difference from stock is my weld RTS 15s and front runners . So jjs race weight is easily doable he told me exactly what he did there is no secret weight reduction. I am a small guy so I might often race guys who weigh 50 -100 lbs more than me that helps a little bit . At MIR last sunday there was a guy with a stock ZR 1 vette running low 10's he said hed have me drive it if he wanted to go 9's lol I said hell yeah gimmie the keys to that bad boy man that ride would be sweet !!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #42
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ

Yeah that is a ways to go too bad . Thats where I run at MIR and Cecil and Capital which aint so great but close to my house . I know the 10 was an anomoly in great air and I never said it ran 10s consistently . Just saying these cars both manual and auto are capable of 10's with bolt ons yeah 11s is more the norm. My car weighs 3600 with me in it only difference from stock is my weld RTS 15s and front runners . So jjs race weight is easily doable he told me exactly what he did there is no secret weight reduction. I am a small guy so I might often race guys who weigh 50 -100 lbs more than me that helps a little bit . At MIR last sunday there was a guy with a stock ZR 1 vette running low 10's he said hed have me drive it if he wanted to go 9's lol I said hell yeah gimmie the keys to that bad boy man that ride would be sweet !!
Taking he was on DR's? Best so fat I seen was 10.3 on DRs.
Lethal performance in SA just went mid 9s in their 720whp ZR1.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah drs but on stock wheels , what are they 19s , 20's ? not enough sidewall to really hook , heck the brakes are 17 inchers all around huge !!! he was launching fairly soft or he'd spin bad but once he got going wow !!! I think the best that day was like a 10.3 as well .
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #44
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ View Post
Yeah drs but on stock wheels , what are they 19s , 20's ? not enough sidewall to really hook , heck the brakes are 17 inchers all around huge !!! he was launching fairly soft or he'd spin bad but once he got going wow !!! I think the best that day was like a 10.3 as well .
ZR1's are bad *** no doubt. But for 120k I rather have a GTR with a tune and exhaust and run constant low 10's and handle like a boss on the road course street and everything inbetween.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
ZR1's are bad *** no doubt. But for 120k I rather have a GTR with a tune and exhaust and run constant low 10's and handle like a boss on the road course street and everything inbetween.
LOL funny you should say that there was a GTR there too he was running low 11s finaly did get a 10 I think . I got a picture of them together this was the " High end " section of the pits .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mir 31712 011.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	44576  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would rather spend the extra 30Gs and get the ZR1 over the GTR!.. But if we are talking this kind of money then I would actually get the 2013 GT500 and just put another 15,000 in mods into it!... But that's just me!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ

LOL funny you should say that there was a GTR there too he was running low 11s finaly did get a 10 I think . I got a picture of them together this was the " High end " section of the pits .
Very common to use ice..lots of us do it to cool.manifold. some use dry ice. Many with air to water intercoolers use killer chilllers where they dump ice into them.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #48
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Me either. I'll take my clunky, slower manual any day in my stang ... just because it's so much more fun!
The shifting really depends on the person, if you are really quick with the shifting or can even power shift then stick with the manual... remember that there is about a 15% drivetrain loss in the Manual and 20% in the Auto (just a rule of thumb), so if you are good with shifting you can even put in a performance short shifter then it would be better to go with the manual than the auto.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4

The shifting really depends on the person, if you are really quick with the shifting or can even power shift then stick with the manual... remember that there is about a 15% drivetrain loss in the Manual and 20% in the Auto (just a rule of thumb), so if you are good with shifting you can even put in a performance short shifter then it would be better to go with the manual than the auto.
Wrong.. If a manual was faster that's what all drag cars would have.. Drivetrain loss is considerably less on these cars also
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Wrong.. If a manual was faster that's what all drag cars would have.. Drivetrain loss is considerably less on these cars also
Yup... Not to mention the fact that power shifting the mt82 is somewhat reminiscent of playing russian roulette with a semi auto.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #51
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yep they say the manual loses about 10% and auto about 13%.

You want a drag car get an auto. Want a street car for roll races get the manual. Then have the tranny faceplanted. Want. Est of both then get auto with a big stall.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #52

Region: Alabama

To the op: I would be willing to trade my mt82 with spec stage 3 clutch, billet steel flywheel, hurst short throw and barton bracket for your auto. Pm me if you are interested...
kpatrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Wow... Lots of drama on this thread, poor guy jus wanted to know if he can go auto to manual! I enjoyed reading the wusstangs argument with the fastest car on the thread though haha. Wen u have a 04 v6, ur opinion isnt considered on these threads bud. But trade in for a manual my dude! Autos are faster yes, but unless ur racing who cares.. I might not run 10s but i love banging through gears n would never own a auto muscle car. No offense guys.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT