Exhaust Void Warranty? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5
True but ur dealership is going to avoid at all costs voiding ur warranty is my point. Show me a warranty voided by a aftermarket exhaust.
They are out there.. As I said earlier in this thread though VERY few.. I wouldn't doubt that they would if you had full exhaust w headers mid pipe axlebacks etc though.. Things is its not up to them to make the decision..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Quote:
True but ur dealership is going to avoid at all costs voiding ur warranty is my point. Show me a warranty voided by a aftermarket exhaust.
Not true at all. Mine wanted to void mine for cold air tune and exhaust..
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Well idk where you guys live but sucks to be you. Ive had a 3 different cars now under warranty that i modded to my desire and was always covered. My mustang dealer told me "we have guys with 600 hp mustangs that still get covered when something goes wrong." sorry to be you.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well idk where you guys live but sucks to be you. Ive had a 3 different cars now under warranty that i modded to my desire and was always covered. My mustang dealer told me "we have guys with 600 hp mustangs that still get covered when something goes wrong." sorry to be you.
Hahahaha ur nuts dude.. Things have changed the last couple years.. Good luck getting a warranty claim w just a tuner.. Let alone "600hp".. I live in AR and he lives in some other state.. Has nothing to do with where we live.. Has to do with IT'S NOT UP TO THE DEALERSHIP!!!! ANYWHERE!!!! That dealer was filling you full of SH*T... Unless they give you something in writing that says your ok to mod then your EFFED!!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Just talked to the ford tech at my dealer, also my friend, he said and i quote "2 weeks ago we had to replace a tranny on a 2011 GT with 18,000 miles, the car had headers, exhaust, CAI, tune and a drop kit." transmission was replaced under warranty. Sorry to break it to you and i know this may be hard to fit in your giant head but your wrong.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #41
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Re: Exhaust Void Warranty?

It's all gonna depend on the dealer in the end.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #42
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
+1 dealer interpretation of the warranty and problem will be the final decision

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #43
Road Trip!

Quote:
Just talked to the ford tech at my dealer, also my friend, he said and i quote "2 weeks ago we had to replace a tranny on a 2011 GT with 18,000 miles, the car had headers, exhaust, CAI, tune and a drop kit." transmission was replaced under warranty. Sorry to break it to you and i know this may be hard to fit in your giant head but your wrong.
Try it for a blown engine. And as above depends on how dealer list mods to Ford. I have heard there is a dealer here that will warranty about anything for the work. But who knows till your the Guy they tell no.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Idk if i should take off my catback before returning it to the dealer
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would say that's only due to how many transmission issues there have been on these cars.. Ya don't have to be an *** about it lol.. And I know plenty of Ford techs as well.. Doesnt mean they know what they are talking about bc they work there.. Also I bet if it had been an auto w a tune they might not have covered due to altering shift points.. I'm not sayin a dealer won't do it BUT I they want to get payed by Ford for the work then they won't if your modded.. Some dealerships have enough overhead they can swing that w/o it hurting them too badly..

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I would say that's only due to how many transmission issues there have been on these cars.. Ya don't have to be an *** about it lol.. And I know plenty of Ford techs as well.. Doesnt mean they know what they are talking about bc they work there.. Also I bet if it had been an auto w a tune they might not have covered due to altering shift points.. I'm not sayin a dealer won't do it BUT I they want to get payed by Ford for the work then they won't if your modded.. Some dealerships have enough overhead they can swing that w/o it hurting them too badly..
The only thing I don't believe would happen just about anywhere you go is being covered w a "600hp" stang as you stated.. Unless your best friends w the owner or something..
Old 04-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Jus proving my point guys!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Jus proving my point guys!
No offense but what you heard doesn't prove anything..
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Ur right facts are useless in a conversation with u. U should jus start a thread and answer anyones question about any topic since no one elses opinion matters to you.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #49
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5 View Post
Ur right facts are useless in a conversation with u. U should jus start a thread and answer anyones question about any topic since no one elses opinion matters to you.
All he's saying is that it's just your word, and until you come up with hard evidence, that's all it is! Don't be upset that he's skeptical. I wouldn't expect anyone to believe me just because I say something unless I can back it up with proof.

It's all good brother, just keep on keepin' on.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How is that an opinion?? You haven't stated your opinion on anything... Your saying that someone's car will be covered w 600hp.. And that your friend that's a tech saw one covered having headers tune etc.. Those are not opinions..

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

If you had stated your opinion on something I would have nothing to say bc it would be just that.. You opinion.. An opinion isn't arguable.. If you think your gonna be covered w several mods then more power to ya.. Just don't be surprised if something breaks and you don't get covered.. I don't expect to be covered w my o/r x, axlebacks, tune, CAI, k-springs, LCAs etc..

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote:
And facts are not useless.. You just haven't presented us w any facts.. Only your word and your buddies word.. And i don't know you from jack...
Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Not true at all. Mine wanted to void mine for cold air tune and exhaust..
That's because you changed the factory engine parameters

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

How is that an opinion?? You haven't stated your opinion on anything... Your saying that someone's car will be covered w 600hp.. And that your friend that's a tech saw one covered having headers tune etc.. Those are not opinions..

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

If you had stated your opinion on something I would have nothing to say bc it would be just that.. You opinion.. An opinion isn't arguable.. If you think your gonna be covered w several mods then more power to ya.. Just don't be surprised if something breaks and you don't get covered.. I don't expect to be covered w my o/r x, axlebacks, tune, CAI, k-springs, LCAs etc..

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

And facts are not useless.. You just haven't presented us w any facts.. Only your word and your buddies word.. And i don't know you from jack...
Jack......Jack Daniels, why cant we all take a shot and be friends here. Point is some dealerships suck and others will work with you but on your warranty it states void if modded

"Too much horsepower is not enough"
MikesChargedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
No your wrong, us dealers send in pictures and info to FORD they then send a pre approval to us saying yes or no, quite blaming the dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jwhayne0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #53
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
No your wrong, us dealers send in pictures and info to FORD they then send a pre approval to us saying yes or no, quite blaming the dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You mean to tell me that every single warranty claim has to go through Ford corporate and that the service managers have zero say over any claim? I find it very hard to believe that Ford would micromanage that much and not allow these dealers to operate at least partially independently

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

You mean to tell me that every single warranty claim has to go through Ford corporate and that the service managers have zero say over any claim? I find it very hard to believe that Ford would micromanage that much and not allow these dealers to operate at least partially independently
That's right.. When my wheels were chipping they were going to call in an engineer to inspect them b4 they would replace them
Old 04-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's exactly what happens I see it everyday
Old 04-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #56
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

well I very highly doubt that when I had to get my driver seat motor replaced, my rear defroster fixed, my light up door panel on the passenger side, and my leaking r/r shock replaced that they called in an engineer to look at these things and probably just allowed the tech to determine that it was broken and was not due to anything that I had done.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well I very highly doubt that when I had to get my driver seat motor replaced, my rear defroster fixed, my light up door panel on the passenger side, and my leaking r/r shock replaced that they called in an engineer to look at these things and probably just allowed the tech to determine that it was broken and was not due to anything that I had done.
Pictures and info was sent to ford and ford gave final approval
Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only reason they had to actually cal one in for mine was bc you couldn't see the chips in pics really
Old 04-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #59
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
Pictures and info was sent to ford and ford gave final approval
Ok. So can the wording of this information affect whether or not the work is approved? I know that if I have to warranty a tire (I work for a tire dealer) that when I call to get approval on the warranty, the way in which I word the info given will determine whether or not they approve the warranty.

(As I speak about this I realize exactly what you are talking about and it makes more sense that they have to get approval from higher)

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok. So can the wording of this information affect whether or not the work is approved? I know that if I have to warranty a tire (I work for a tire dealer) that when I call to get approval on the warranty, the way in which I word the info given will determine whether or not they approve the warranty.

(As I speak about this I realize exactly what you are talking about and it makes more sense that they have to get approval from higher)
As info I mean just vin number car mileage and what the malfunctioning part is that's it and ford may ask are any A/M parts installed that's when it gets tricky
Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #61
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayne0001

This is what I said long time ago..

Specially going in for engine work. The engineer him self told me they want computers out new stangs to see if tuned on engine work. If shows any tune history then they will not cover.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #62
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I think the problem many people are running into is that the dealer won't even spend the time to look at it because they just assume it won't be covered anyways and don't wanna waste their time. Luckily my dealership BILL COLLINS FORD!!!! (amazing dealership) has zero issue looking at anything that I ask them to.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

or maybe they tell you it won't be covered to discourage you from modding just in case it is not covered and save you the heartache and time

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I swapped my exhaust today just to be safe. I dont think the dealer will say anything, but if they do :/
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
I swapped my exhaust today just to be safe. I dont think the dealer will say anything, but if they do :/
This is why everyone is entitled to their own opinions and not their own facts. The dealer has made it subjective, and have placed blame on the manufacturer. Being 2 different entities under the Ford "umbrella". I worked for Ford Motor Credit Co. for 5 years and there is much red tape between dealer, manufacture, finance and all the other entities in between. You see the blue oval at the dealership and you think they are all one in the same, but in truth they are not.
JasnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasnTX View Post
This is why everyone is entitled to their own opinions and not their own facts. The dealer has made it subjective, and have placed blame on the manufacturer. Being 2 different entities under the Ford "umbrella". I worked for Ford Motor Credit Co. for 5 years and there is much red tape between dealer, manufacture, finance and all the other entities in between. You see the blue oval at the dealership and you think they are all one in the same, but in truth they are not.
I don't doubt that for one minute. I worked for a local power company and even that was multiple entities under the umbrella of a parent company. One entity generated the power, while a completely separate entity distributed the power. There were separate entities that handled things like ... commodities trading (if you've seen The Smartest Guys in the Room, you know what I'm talking about).
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasnTX

Big Ford has forced dealers to do a "pre approval" on all warranty claims, it's a fact so get yours straight
Old 10-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I just picked up my brand new 2015 GT Premium yesterday from the dealer ship and the salesman that sold it to me is a manager at this particular location and the first thing he said to me was whatever i do don't do any aftermarket upgrades, no CAI, no exhaust, no tune, not even a k&n filter. The reason being is because Ford is cracking down on the warranty and what one can and can not do. There is a loop hole though i found out, if you do any aftermarket upgrades and it comes from Ford Racing then its all good (well sort of anyway) just not anything aftermarket.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebomb23 View Post
I just picked up my brand new 2015 GT Premium yesterday from the dealer ship and the salesman that sold it to me is a manager at this particular location and the first thing he said to me was whatever i do don't do any aftermarket upgrades, no CAI, no exhaust, no tune, not even a k&n filter. The reason being is because Ford is cracking down on the warranty and what one can and can not do. There is a loop hole though i found out, if you do any aftermarket upgrades and it comes from Ford Racing then its all good (well sort of anyway) just not anything aftermarket.

That's false. Warranty covers a lot of stuff and they have to prove that the modification caused the part failure. For example if your door handle breaks and you installed an exhaust system they can't not fix your door handle because you installed exhaust. Now if you install the exhaust wrong and it melts your bumper there not going to cover it. Are some dealers stricter then others sure but if there that uptight you need to find a better dealership. Also I would check with a sales manager or service department. Some salesmen barely know what a car is let along how the warranty works.

And ford racing outsources most of its part. Their exhaust is just rebranded borla exhaust, shifters are Barton shifters, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #69
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Nate & Starz are both correct, if a dealer tells you they'll void the wtty what you need to do is find a friendlier dealer. Talk to them and see what they say. Legally they have to prove it damaged the car, but (this is IMPT!) they can just say it did and until you win in court you are out of luck. Become friends with your servicing dealer think honey not vinegar.

Nate, good use of search!

as I said, find a friendlier servicing dealer...simple mods (exhaust/non-tune CAI's) should NOT void wtty. Enjoy the ride
Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief View Post
Your safest bet is to hold off on modifications for a while and get some miles on the car, say 5-10k or so. If its gonna break, chances are it will happen sooner rather than later. My a/c went out at around 10k miles with a pin hole in the condenser.
Play it safe at first, then mod the heck out of it and say to hell with the warranty.
Agreed. Wait 5k + miles before doing any performance mods. Engine needs to break in, and that first few thousand miles are your stress test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Not true at all. Mine wanted to void mine for cold air, tune and exhaust..
The TUNE is the big thing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebomb23 View Post
Yes & No.

If the dealership installs the Ford Racing parts, then Ford or Ford Racing will generally cover all of the warranty issues. (depending on what was done) Ex: If you tune it with Ford's ProCal, then Ford Racing generally covers any engine failures. If you just put the Ford Catback exhaust you should be fine, no warranty issues... pure Ford Warranty.

Most dealerships won't have an issue if ALL you've done is catbacks. The problem is if you have changed exhaust they start looking for other things... ie: they're going to look for evidence of a tune, so if you have & even if you've removed it, there's still the increased flash count & decreased starts since flash, etc.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust