Exhaust Void Warranty? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exhaust Void Warranty?

Does installing an aftermarket exhaust such as Borla, or Roush, void the factory warranty? Does it matter if it's cat-back or axle-back? Thanks. Looking at Borla S-Type, Borla Atak, and Roush. Decisions, decisions...
akmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmiller
Does installing an aftermarket exhaust such as Borla, or Roush, void the factory warranty? Does it matter if it's cat-back or axle-back? Thanks. Looking at Borla S-Type, Borla Atak, and Roush. Decisions, decisions...
Short answer is no
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Short answer is no
Hmm. Interesting. Even if I install them myself?
akmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Should not be an issue, unless you damage something during the issue. Even then, there isn't much of a chance of you breaking something installing axle backs.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes..
Old 03-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
If you read the factory warrant in its entirety, you will find that installing aftermarket exhaust can void your warranty. The dealership would have to be a bunch of a-holes, but it can happen. Anything added to that car that can affect performance in any way can void it. Fords logic is that changing the exhaust effects the back pressure, which it can, and balance of the entire system.

Somewhere in here someone posted a sheet that talked about this very issue and it that document it clearly states that exhaust, gears, tunes, CAI, and what not will void the warranty. Just beware. Ford is keeping a tight noose on these cars.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Re: Exhaust Void Warranty?

**** em.....do your thing,you only live once.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
This. The factory warranty is kinda a joke anyways, ask all the people who have transmission problems and are told it's "normal."
Old 03-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
A/M exhaust can and mostly will void a warranty only if ford sends a warranty adjuster to the shop most dealers don't give a F about it as long as the cats/manifold aren't messed with
jwhayne0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I recently had a change of heart to the warranty **** it, if it breaks build it better. We bought mustangs not priuses. So i say mod the **** out of it!!
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
I recently had a change of heart to the warranty **** it, if it breaks build it better. We bought mustangs not priuses. So i say mod the **** out of it!!
You and me would get along great.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

You and me would get along great.
I'm still pissed about the warranty I bought from Ford. I had zero mods and 2 items break that should've been covered, but magically they were not!

First issue was the TPS sensor, 2nd was the brake calipers sized they said, oh you need new brakes, your Rotor is frozen, okay I thought. Believing them, I fixed the issue myself and got better parts. Found out my pads and rotors are just fine. Never again will I waste $1,000 on the after market factory warranty.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

I'm still pissed about the warranty I bought from Ford. I had zero mods and 2 items break that should've been covered, but magically they were not!

First issue was the TPS sensor, 2nd was the brake calipers sized they said, oh you need new brakes, your Rotor is frozen, okay I thought. Believing them, I fixed the issue myself and got better parts. Found out my pads and rotors are just fine. Never again will I waste $1,000 on the after market factory warranty.
You never! Never! Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy an extended warranty! I too learned this the hard way with my '05 Expedition.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It really is a joke i went in for the infamous stiff shifter issue and they had no idea what i was talking about. I left the car and they found a note on their boards about the stiff shifter got the car back its a little better but feels like im shifting with lego blocks instead of a shifter. Im just going royal purple later honestly the techs are like idiots it was a guy who cant even speak english??? im not trusting them with my ride screw tht
Old 03-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Brakes are 12/12 warranty

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

You never! Never! Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy an extended warranty! I too learned this the hard way with my '05 Expedition.
Factory ford extended warranties are actually very good
Old 03-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayne0001

Brakes are 12/12 warranty

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

You must own stock or work for Ford..
Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I do work for them, I just get tired of people bad mouthing dealerships or the techs (which is me) when ford basically has the ending say so!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
Yes I do work for them, I just get tired of people bad mouthing dealerships or the techs (which is me) when ford basically has the ending say so!
Yes ford does have the end say so. This is what a lot of people don't undertsand though. They get bought in by a salesman that oh ya this covered or that. Or the finance guy selling the warranty's that x and x is cover no matter what. Also a lot of service departments don't know about TSB's out there. And its not just Ford. Its all car makers. I ave went around with GM as well on my G8.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Yeah, the payout is so little. I would never buy a warranty again. The best case scenario is you break even. I learned the hard way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Yes ford does have the end say so. This is what a lot of people don't undertsand though. They get bought in by a salesman that oh ya this covered or that. Or the finance guy selling the warranty's that x and x is cover no matter what. Also a lot of service departments don't know about TSB's out there. And its not just Ford. Its all car makers. I ave went around with GM as well on my G8.
Oh yeah my brother got led in by that. It sounds great, but when you break the bill down its like I paid that, for what to go wrong? I've found you have to stay on top of service departments.

For the most part if the car is reliable like the Mustang, you don't have to worry.

Just keep a good emergency fund a $1,000-$2,000 should do, that's better than any warranty, and bookmark American Muscle, so you can hit them up first.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Yeah, the payout is so little. I would never buy a warranty again. The best case scenario is you break even. I learned the hard way as well.

Oh yeah my brother got led in by that. It sounds great, but when you break the bill down its like I paid that, for what to go wrong? I've found you have to stay on top of service departments.

For the most part if the car is reliable like the Mustang, you don't have to worry.

Just keep a good emergency fund a $1,000-$2,000 should do, that's better than any warranty, and bookmark American Muscle, so you can hit them up first.
I hit latemodelrestoration up. They are 30 min from my house. LOL

My wife has been working at a dealer for over 6 yrs. Selling cars and what not. She will be first one to tell you all that BS they try to sell you is just that. BS..only thing worth getting is GAP insurance.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
All the "extras" the dealers try to get you on do nothing more than fatten their bottom line. Your safest bet is to hold off on modifications for a while and get some miles on the car, say 5-10k or so. If its gonna break, chances are it will happen sooner rather than later. My a/c went out at around 10k miles with a pin hole in the condenser. No other problems since, knock on wood. Play it safe at first, then mod the heck out of it and say to hell with the warranty.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

do the exhaust after the warranty wears out
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk 1
do the exhaust after the warranty wears out
+1 or a couple thousand before its runs out if your eager lol
Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Dealerships earn bonuses by selling them. Salesman receive commission on them. They are very customer friendly when selling them, however there's always that catch! I'm not bad mouthing anyone but that's how it is. Save your money!
Raiderstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I also got the factory warranty I've been fighting with them about a tranny issue with the synchros they said it was fine when it's been test driven...... so I'm just ripping the tranny out when it fails and it's getting an aftermarket six speed, the warranty was a joke and a waste of money

"Too much horsepower is not enough"
MikesChargedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Actually you only die once.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36

Actually you only die once.
Unless you believe in reincarnation

Sorry just being a smart ***.... lol couldn't help it

"Too much horsepower is not enough"
MikesChargedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Technically some people die and are brought backto life at hospitals when their hearts stop and they shockem back to life.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Technically some people die and are brought backto life at hospitals when their hearts stop and they shockem back to life.
That's cardiac arrest. Not death.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36

That's cardiac arrest. Not death.
Not what he's talking about.. Not that it matters since this is NOT a medical term forum!!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Not what he's talking about.. Not that it matters since this is NOT a medical term forum!!
Lmfao im just poking fun is all
Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
It all depends on your dealer. My place told me they do whatever they can to not void ur warranty because they lose money too. The dealership would have to 100% prove that ur new exhaust is the sole reason a problem occurred which is a slim chance. Go for it.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5
It all depends on your dealer. My place told me they do whatever they can to not void ur warranty because they lose money too. The dealership would have to 100% prove that ur new exhaust is the sole reason a problem occurred which is a slim chance. Go for it.
Up to FORD not the dealership.. If its something small I'm sure they would but tranny, engine, rear end, etc.. Has to be looked at by an engineer from BIG Ford.. Even paint... If they want payed for the warranty work that is...
Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
True but ur dealership is going to avoid at all costs voiding ur warranty is my point. Show me a warranty voided by a aftermarket exhaust.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust