Any problems with Bama tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Any problems with Bama tunes

I was thinking of investing with my next paycheck a tuner from American Muscle with a Bama tune for my 2012 ford mustang 5.0 with an automatic trans and 3.31 gears. Roush cold air kit and exhaust are already being shipped as I typed this. Has anyone had any problems with their tunes?
Sprintradc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintradc
I was thinking of investing with my next paycheck a tuner from American Muscle with a Bama tune for my 2012 ford mustang 5.0 with an automatic trans and 3.31 gears. Roush cold air kit and exhaust are already being shipped as I typed this. Has anyone had any problems with their tunes?
You have 3.15 gears.

Next is there tunes are safe and don't get most bang for the buck. If want the best tune go with Lund tune/vmp/livernois.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Any problems with Bama tunes

I was just going by what someone told me was my gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
I was just going by what someone told me was my gear
All autos have 3.15 gears. The manuals come with 3.31/3.55/3.73. We auto guys didn't get options. But that OK we end up being faster anyway.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

I like that Bama will tune for free with a purchase of an AM tuner... but It always seems to take multiple attempts to get it right, and I'm still not running right... Maybe it's just because I have an older model v6 that they don't have a lot of experience tuning for... so who know. They will probably tune your GT just fine since they've probably done hundreds by now...

In my opinion, only thing the tune was good for was removing the codes, no noticeable performance... Not worth the money... get a dyno tune
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

some tunes were causing issues on the 5.0 engines were they not? Not sure if they have all been resolved etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmabbott View Post
I like that Bama will tune for free with a purchase of an AM tuner... but It always seems to take multiple attempts to get it right, and I'm still not running right... Maybe it's just because I have an older model v6 that they don't have a lot of experience tuning for... so who know. They will probably tune your GT just fine since they've probably done hundreds by now...

In my opinion, only thing the tune was good for was removing the codes, no noticeable performance... Not worth the money... get a dyno tune
Dyno tune is a waste of money if you just have a CAi and some axelbacks.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmabbott

No offense but your talking apples and oranges.. 2012 5.0 vs. sn-95 v6... Had no issues getting my tune right runs great and definitely a noticeable power difference.. And they've probably have tuned more like in the thousands than hundreds.. U have a sn-95 v6.. What do you have to offer this section of the forum? Nothing...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Play nice please.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
No offense but your talking apples and oranges.. 2012 5.0 vs. sn-95 v6... Had no issues getting my tune right runs great and definitely a noticeable power difference.. And they've probably have tuned more like in the thousands than hundreds.. U have a sn-95 v6.. What do you have to offer this section of the forum? Nothing...
i have had problem with a BAMA tune, can i contribute??
SilverBullet12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12

i have had problem with a BAMA tune, can i contribute??
Why sure! Lol
Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why sure! Lol
hahahaha wooooo!!

I jus had some idiling problems and stalling, and the performance wasnt really there for me. Nothing major though, wanted a lil more pop ya know
Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'll wait on the tube till I get bored with the upgrade in performance from my 2002 mustang convertible. These forums have been a great help
Old 03-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Installed my BAMA today! It definitely has an noticeable power difference but i do agree it could have a little more on the bottom end
btlefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Play nice please.
Really? Compared to some of the other stuff these guys say?? I wasn't being rude.. I specifically said "no offense".. Honestly if you have a tuned sn-95 v6 what information do you have to offer us guys w '11+ 5.0s? I get sick of guys saying they know all this stuff or have had all this stuff happen to their car but then there is nothing the same between the cars.. Itd be just like me giving a guy w a camaro advice and tips...

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote:
I think I'll wait on the tube till I get bored with the upgrade in performance from my 2002 mustang convertible. These forums have been a great help
Good call.. 260 hp - 412hp is quite a jump.. I made the same jump from my 04 GT...
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by btlefed View Post
Installed my BAMA today! It definitely has an noticeable power difference but i do agree it could have a little more on the bottom end
BAM! Bottom end! Launching the car at the track is no fun
Old 03-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Im going to run my car next friday so we will see how well it launches...i have 3:73s so it should be ok
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by btlefed View Post
Im going to run my car next friday so we will see how well it launches...i have 3:73s so it should be ok
yah i have em to. But i also have the boss intake which takes away the low end TQ.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have an 02 v6 auto, and just got one a week or so ago, it isn't earth shattering, but for sure a noticeable improvement, and not that expensive, I would think with your car it will be great!
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i was scared to get the boss intake bc i didnt wanna loss all my bottom end plus im looking to put a roush s/c on it
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

Quote:
Fully built 3 cars from the ground up... you spent more on a Mustang than I did on my v6 daily driver... so, you must be the professional here because you spent more on your car than I did... lol... get real
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Fully built 3 cars from the ground up... you spent more on a Mustang than I did on my v6 daily driver... so, you must be the professional here because you spent more on your car than I did... lol... get real
And that's related to what I said how? I said your v6 vs 11+ GT.. What's the same? All I'm saying is you giving a guy advice on what to do to his GT is just as bad as me telling a guy with a camaro what the best tune to run is! Did you "fully build" a 11+ GT? Do you u have any experience with tuning a 11+GT? It's NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME.. I'm not downing you for a having a v6.. Only that you can't say that this tune didn't do crap for my car so it won't do crap for yours when the cars are 15 years apart (not sure what year yours is, guessing) completely different drivetrain, suspension, electronics, you name it.. Has nothing to do with how much anyone spent on their car, its the fact that they are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same car... And btw I am real! Lol
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude ur in the wrong section to be arguing over anything... even if u have a fully built whatever, the new 5.0 is a totally different animal even in stock form...
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If the op had a sn-95 v6 or whatever cars you fully built (assuming they had bama tunes otherwise not sure why you brought those up) then your advice would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.. And I most definitely wouldn't have anything to say about it.. Partially cuz I wouldn't have seen it since I stay in my section(2010-2014) and bc you have experience w it..
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Now lets all hold hands and roast marshmellows
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Really? Compared to some of the other stuff these guys say?? I wasn't being rude.. I specifically said "no offense".. Honestly if you have a tuned sn-95 v6 what information do you have to offer us guys w '11+ 5.0s? I get sick of guys saying they know all this stuff or have had all this stuff happen to their car but then there is nothing the same between the cars.. Itd be just like me giving a guy w a camaro advice and tips...

Thank you. I hate when guys comment telling people do this gear or this that I did it on my 02-10 and have no clue about the new 11+. How very much they are different from engine to tranny and gearing. How running a 4.10 in these manuals is basically worthless. As it is like having 4.30's and then tire height effects gears even more.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Yep, I'm glad I have the 3.73s + Brembo for street but, I can see that ideally, I should have a really tall tire for the track, even without a power adder. The 25.5" drag radials I currently have are going to be like running 4:10+ and traction is an issue as it is. I'm going to have to roll it out of the hole and that's going to affect 60'.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12 View Post
hahahaha wooooo!!

I jus had some idiling problems and stalling, and the performance wasnt really there for me. Nothing major though, wanted a lil more pop ya know
Those are not BAMA tune issues, they are copperhead ECU issues. There is a procedure that you are supposed to go through for the ECU to properly relearn how to idle after flashing the ECU or disconnecting the battery. It's on page 288 of the owners manual.

Quote:
Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When
the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must
relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance. To begin this process:
1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral
position (manual transmission), turn off all accessories and start the
engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
• The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to
relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.
• If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle
quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle
trim is eventually relearned.
When the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the
transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. As a result of this, the
transmission may shift firmly. This operation is considered normal and
will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time the
adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation to its
optimum shift feel.
Maintenance and Specifications
TL;DR - RTFM!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Those are not BAMA tune issues, they are copperhead ECU issues. There is a procedure that you are supposed to go through for the ECU to properly relearn how to idle after flashing the ECU or disconnecting the battery. It's on page 288 of the owners manual.

TL;DR - RTFM!
wow, thanks for the info haha.

No should i reflash the car to stock first or keep the tune on and do it???
Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12 View Post
wow, thanks for the info haha.

No should i reflash the car to stock first or keep the tune on and do it???
I always reflash the car to stock in between tunes. It's just a safety net in case the tuner blows up on you ...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

TL;DR - RTFM!
You are absolutly right.... I had a bama tech guide me threw the instal of my tune on the phone and he told me to start the stang and let it idle for 5 minutes then 5 minutes with a/c then back without a/c for 5 minutes an i havent had any issues
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
All autos have 3.15 gears. The manuals come with 3.31/3.55/3.73. We auto guys didn't get options. But that OK we end up being faster anyway.
Hey "wnt2gofst", My 07 GT Automatic came with 3.31 Gears, it's on my Invoice and on the Window Invoice also. I personnally changed it to 4.10s, but 3.31 was Stock.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ummm....he means 2011+ which is what I think we're talking about here.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Good for you 5LHO, that was Excellant, I probably just got a little confused when he said "ALL AUTOS HAVE 3.15 GEARS", but thank you for clearing that up. WOW, I JUST NEVER KNEW THAT. Good thing you were around here.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

just call me "Context Man"; always ready to swoop in and save the misunderstood!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT